This needs to be bought to everybody's attention (login)

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Vincent
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: This needs to be bought to everybody's attention (login)

Post by Vincent » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:52 pm

KITTfan wrote:
KITT_Vs._KARR wrote:Well I got it also, but I changed my stuff just to be on the safe site. I'm gonna guess, but I think KARR might have something to do with it. Just saying.. (LOL)
Heh, good one :) When last seen, KARR's CPU was still alive somewhere in the desert and now he's trying to cause troubles for KRO thinking it's got something to do with the pompous Foundation who abandoned him in 1982 :lol:
:karr:
Which KRO? Knight Rider Online, or Knight Reformulation One? Hehehe. :twisted:

Vince

:dash4:

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:07 am

SundayForever wrote:Yes, I am a game addictor. I know where you can find what you want.
LOL the irony that one of the spam bots posted on the topic about the spam bots lol!
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

Iron KITT
Rookie

Post by Iron KITT » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi guys, happend to me today, took me six goes to log in.
Michael Knight: "KITT is the worlds greatest automobile"

My Movie Review Blog:
Sentient Saviour's Movie Wold!. http://sentientsaviourmovies.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:47 pm

Iron KITT wrote:Hi guys, happend to me today, took me six goes to log in.
Seriously that sucks.

Its happening to me at twice a week,frustrating.
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi guys,

I wish I had some news for you about this, but as things stand I can only reiterate what I've said in the past. Make sure your passwords are strong, and keep your fingers crossed that the guys over at phpBB will be able to eradicate this problem from their software by the next update. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:29 pm

Hey Matt,
I have been locked out since Feb 23 and the board system would tell me this EVERY time I logged in (Even with the correct code inserted for verification. )
This is what it says:

"The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator."

When we can't log in for days something might need to be changed on the entire board code level.
Is it possible for you to switch from phpBB to another type of forum code in PHP till this mater is resolved or would that delete all previous posts we have made?
Thanks for the updates Matt we appreciate it!

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Hey Josh,

I’m not really a technical guru when it comes to ins and outs of the board software, but I wouldn’t be surprised if an abundance of failed logins (the bots and the captcha) trigged the deactivation.

I’m not entirely sure, but I think the databases are intrinsically linked to the current software. If it is possible to transfer the posts and user information to another type of board though, I think it’s something we’ll have to look into if the next update doesn’t fix the problem.

Unfortunately, I’ve got no idea when we can expect to find out if they’ve fixed the problem, since it takes using the admin panel to learn when the software is listed as being an out-of-date version.

Matt

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:56 pm

KRO can stop spam from bots (that is, software, as opposed to people posting spam) by adding custom logic to the registration page. The thing is that this logic may be extremely simple, even trivial, as long as it is unique to the board. Adding a simple "are you a spammer? yes/no" check box can do the trick. Add a bit of javascript to set the correct value and hide the field, and most human users won't even have to answer the question. Generic spam software however won't know what to do with it.

Phpbb cannot incorporate such changes because once they are employed by all boards spam software authors will simply account for them.

My friend has a PHPBB forum and this is what he says:
"Been weeks since I started using Q&A.
Two of three forums has had zero spambots get in, one spammer signed up on the third, but I think it was a human being given the way it happened. Always going to be one that gets in.
Q&A definitely seems to work great with the right sort of question."

Hope this helps out some.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:23 am

taoworm2323 wrote:KRO can stop spam from bots (that is, software, as opposed to people posting spam) by adding custom logic to the registration page. The thing is that this logic may be extremely simple, even trivial, as long as it is unique to the board. Adding a simple "are you a spammer? yes/no" check box can do the trick. Add a bit of javascript to set the correct value and hide the field, and most human users won't even have to answer the question. Generic spam software however won't know what to do with it.

Phpbb cannot incorporate such changes because once they are employed by all boards spam software authors will simply account for them.

My friend has a PHPBB forum and this is what he says:
"Been weeks since I started using Q&A.
Two of three forums has had zero spambots get in, one spammer signed up on the third, but I think it was a human being given the way it happened. Always going to be one that gets in.
Q&A definitely seems to work great with the right sort of question."

Hope this helps out some.
Looks like employees of Yahoo! should be taking this advice. The spam there is so bad half the people in the games section are bots and don't even get me started on the e-mail...
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Vincent
Recruit

Post by Vincent » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:27 pm

I just fell victim today. First time in 8.5 weeks. Had to get a new password as a result.

Vince

:dash4:

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:19 pm

I haven't been able to check for new, legit links in ages, due to spam bots. Crazy things have overwhelmed the admin interface, long, long ago.

One approach that seems to work are those picture boxes with the wavering words and the request for a human to type in what the pic says.

kittkattKarr
Volunteer

Post by kittkattKarr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:25 pm

The problem is still occuring, it happened to me today, I had to request a new password. Melody

james olden
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by james olden » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:31 pm

it only happens when im on my cell phone signing in
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

blackthorntk
Operative

Post by blackthorntk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:23 am

I believe the Captcha feature began in 2000 by y Luis von Ahn, Manuel Blum, Nicholas J. Hopper, and John Langford (all of Carnegie Mellon University). but the trademark application was abandoned on 21 April 2008. This feature can be bypassed with older browsers and no updates whats so ever. if you don't like that feature at all. That would be windows 98 days type of software with no updates. Preferably like Netscape was the one back then with allot of loop holes and such for security leaks back then. Captcha is important if you don't like bot's in your video games auto farming goods and taking all the items and lowering values. Also good for Live chat rooms as they tend to get annoying. But seriously if you use like rapidshare megauploads mediashare and all them other download sites that's when you truly get annoyed and captcha shouldn't be apart of that. :/. I also dislike how you can put the right info in and it still goes wrong because some captcha is case sensitive and very hard to read at times.

Michael Knight 35
Stranger

Post by Michael Knight 35 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Hmm strange ive never had that proplem.Hmm I think One'c :kitt2:
I make post's about what's going on in knight rider but havent started yet so still working on it :D

blackthorntk
Operative

Post by blackthorntk » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:47 am

I never do have that problem as my pc setup with the old browsers >:). I hate Mr. Captcha :P

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:09 am

Hi guys,

I've decided to finally un-sticky this thread now that it's been nearly five months since the last report of an occurrence. I'd like to thank all of you that logged in via the CAPTCHA screen on so many occasions, as I know all too well just how tedious it became.

Please be sure to let me know if any of you experience this problem again so I can re-stick the thread and begin a new investigation. :good:

Matt

blackthorntk
Operative

Post by blackthorntk » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:36 am

ah no problem. Glad to have posted a little history behind the Captcha :D. For me I just clean out the dump files and any other extra files out of the web browsers and then it works again. :D. Or that's telling me it's time to update to new password lol.