Don Peake Needs Your Input on Upcoming KR Music Release!

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Don Peake Needs Your Input on Upcoming KR Music Release!

Post by Joe Huth » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:24 pm

Hey Guys,

I have some exciting news for you! I have been in contact with Don Peake over this past week. He is preparing to release more "Knight Rider" episode scores from his private collection! I have been assisting him with identifying the episode scores he has in his collection. As of right now, he has found 40 of the 77 episode scores in storage.

He has asked me to post this message to get feedback from you, the fans, on which episodes you want to see released next. Unlike past releases, these will be digital downloads, not CDs. He is also interested in making ringtones of some of his music available (such as the score from "Junkyard Dog"!)

Below you will see a complete list of the scores he has available at the moment. Please take a moment to look over the list and reply with your Top 5 picks. Next weekend, I will compile the list from all of the message boards and send it to Don.

Please note that episodes released on a previous CD were removed from this list. When I spoke to him, we agreed that the first few releases should be scores not previously released.

Also of note - Don is currently looking for the scores for "Goliath" and "Goliath Returns", as he knows how popular these episodes are. I will keep you updated if he finds these, or any other episode scores.

Season 1 (1982-1983):

57317 A Nice Indecent Little Town
57326 Chariot of Gold
57331 Nobody Does It Better
57332 Knight Moves
57336 Short Notice

Season 2 (1983-1984):

57801 Return to Cadiz
57807 Merchants of Death
57817 Silent Knight
57828 White-Line Warriors
57832 A Knight In Shining Armor
57833 Diamonds Aren't a Girl's Best Friend
57837 Speed Demons

Season 3 (1984-1985):

58601 Knights In The Fast Lane
58622 Knight In Disgrace
58630 Knight and Knerd
58633 Circus Knights
58643 Knight Lines
58645 Ten Wheel Trouble
58647 Knight Strike

Season 4 (1985-1986):

60202 Knight Behind Bars
60203 Many Happy Returns
60204 Burial Ground
60219 Sky Knight
60220 Hills of Fire
60221 The Wrong Crowd
60223 Fright Knight
60224 Knight Sting
60226 Killer K.I.T.T.
60227 Redemption of a Champion (Bad Quality)
60229 Deadly Knightshade
60230 Knight Song (Bad Quality)
60232 Knight Flight To Freedom (Bad Quality)

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

Showpro1
FLAG Recruit

Re: Don Peake Needs Your Input on Upcoming KR Music Release!

Post by Showpro1 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:56 pm

Well then put me down for good old # 58645 and Im sur Don appreciates your quick -informed-action
on this thanks old buddy.

D. Doggett. :kittspin:

Kal-el4
Operative

Post by Kal-el4 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:19 pm

I for one, would love the FULL score to Trust Doesn't Rust, and KITT Vs. KARR, as well as A Knight In Shining Armor.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:50 pm

Kal-el4 wrote:I for one, would love the FULL score to Trust Doesn't Rust, and KITT Vs. KARR, as well as A Knight In Shining Armor.
Stu Phillips did the score for TDR, not Don.

It can be found on the limited edition CD released by Phillips some years back which featured scores from other episodes such as the Pilot and Inside Out.

I have it, it's a great disc!

This may be off topic but I had a conversation with Don at KRFII and he confirmed to me that he was going to make KnightCon, I'm wondering if Joe knows if he still intends to make it?
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:51 am

My 5 picks:
Chariot of Gold, Speed Demons, Knight In Disgrace, Sky Knight and Killer K.I.T.T.

On a side note, if Don happens to come across them, my absolute favorite picks would be (in no particular order): Goliath, Soul Survivor, Knightmares, Race for Life, Goliath Returns, Knight of the Drones, Dead of Knight, Knight of the Juggernaut, KITTnap, The Wrong Crowd and Knight Sting.

Also, it's been bugging me for a long time that the score to the first part of Mouth of the Snake was released but not the score from the second half of the episode. Is the second half still missing or does Don plan to release it on a future CD?
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:03 am

Wow, this is awesome news!
My first picks would've been Soul Survivor, Knightmares and A Good Knight's Work but I see they aren't available at least yet so from the available list my top 5 picks are:
1. 57817 Silent Knight
2. 57807 Merchants of Death
3. 57326 Chariot of Gold
4. 58630 Knight and Knerd
5. 60223 Fright Knight

It was hard to select just these five ones, there's so many great scores in many episodes :) In general, the second season style is my absolute favourite, especially from the episodes I mentioned already. Glad to hear the scores from Goliath & Goliath Returns are planned to be released too, they are great :)

Rainack
FLAG Recruit

Post by Rainack » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:19 am

This is great news! Can't wait to be able to grab them up. I don't have any particular preferences, I'll be happy with whatever is released. :)
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.

crashb648
Operative

Post by crashb648 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:26 pm

Wow. Now this put a smile on my face. I always loved the scores for the show, and its great he's considering the fans of what to put online to buy.

Here my chioces: (in no particular order of preference)

57326 Chariot of Gold
57837 Speed Demons
58622 Knight In Disgrace
60219 Sky Knight
60226 Killer K.I.T.T.

Since your in contact with Don, could you ask him if its possible to release his releases on itunes on Amazon UK MP3? I don't use any other music stores like itunes, and I would buy the tracks in Amazon in a heartbeat. It would be appreciated :)
http://www.thetributepages.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Online Tribute Pages for Video Games, Movies and TV Shows. Including: Knight Rider and Knight Rider: The Game!

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:42 pm

Sure, no problem. Also, if you guys would like to express your gratitude to Don for making these and the past CD's available, feel free to write him a note here and I'll be sure he reads it. I'm sure he would appreciate words of support from the fans.

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kal-el4
Operative

Post by Kal-el4 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:51 am

skav, are you able to import em to your comp and email em? I would so love those scores to help underscore the story I am doing....

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:03 am

Kal, I have the ability but I would effectively be breaking copyright law as I would be distributing the tracks elsewhere.

If you want such a request from someone then I recommend you talk privately with that person.

And I take it, Joe, that Don hasn't said anything to you about Knightcon?
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:01 am

Hey guys,

Just an update - they found the score from "Knight of the Juggernaut", so add that to the list.

If you haven't already done so, please vote! I will be collecting the votes and sending to Don on Saturday.

Joe

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:42 am

Joe, that is fantastic to hear abot the score from KOTJ!! Change my vote then to the following:

57326 Chariot of Gold
57837 Speed Demons
58622 Knight In Disgrace
Knight of the Juggernaut
60226 Killer K.I.T.T.

Thanks, I hope Don knows how much this means to the fans, I absolutely love these scores!!
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

crashb648
Operative

Post by crashb648 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:26 am

Thanks for asking him about my request.

And i think its a great thing that Don is doing. He knows that the show is still extrememly popular, and knows their is a demand of the soundtrack from the series. I and we all really appreicate don for doing this, and we will all look forward to listening to our favrioute soundtracks :)

Oh, and my list stays the same, but Chariot of Gold is my favrioute episode for its soundtrack, so would be my #1 choice.

thanks again :)
http://www.thetributepages.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Online Tribute Pages for Video Games, Movies and TV Shows. Including: Knight Rider and Knight Rider: The Game!

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:31 am

57326 Chariot of Gold
57807 Merchants of Death
57828 White-Line Warriors
57833 Diamonds Aren't a Girl's Best Friend
58622 Knight In Disgrace
Given that I'm quite fond of some of the more obscure episodes, I've decided to add the Diamonds Aren't a Girl's Best Friend score to my mix of fan favourite votes. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:08 pm

Almost forgot!....please add "buy out" from season 3!
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

bbgraphix
Volunteer

Post by bbgraphix » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:16 pm

What ever he releases I'll take it!

wheresmurphy
Volunteer

Post by wheresmurphy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:07 pm

Hello All,
I'd like to have the music leading up to and the car chase scene from the episode Blind Spot. I'm talking about where Micheal pulls into the mall parking lot (that music) then goes into the mall ( and what's with him not holding the door open for the lady with the baby stroller?) then the whole chase scene with the Porsche where in the 1st time in Knight Rider history he actuallys asks if he's clear to Turbo Boost..

that would be my request.
Thanks

peterp&j
Operative

Post by peterp&j » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:40 am

my five favs would be
chariots of gold
white-line warriors
knight in disgrace
killer kitt
deadly knightshade
ive got the cd by stu phillips its fantastic i play it all the time and play the scenes in my head while listening to the score ive also one of dons albums with scent of the roses and white bird on it brilliant as well cant wait to see what he does now
michael;i've got a problem.
devon;my dear boy,dont be so modest,you have a wide range of problems.

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:50 pm

This goddamned digitial crap hasn't killed the chance of these next releases being put out on regular mastered loseless CD, has it?
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

crashb648
Operative

Post by crashb648 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:48 am

So whats the status of the new volume? Any news? And did you speak to don about my request to release the volumes on Amazon UK MP3? Just curious :)

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:08 pm

Just touched base with the folks involved in this upcoming release...no dates are known at this point, they are still working on it. When I find out, I'll let you guys know!

Joe

alexandra_miles
Volunteer

Post by alexandra_miles » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:46 pm

I am think "No Big Thing" would be cool!

Alex
:kittconv:

Chief Oddball
Recruit

Post by Chief Oddball » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:16 am

I am seriously stoked at this news, Joe. I check in on here every month or two to see if there's any new info about Don Peake's work or the Knight Rider scores. I wish I had checked in back in September when you first posted this topic! But it sounds like things are still a work in progress, so if I may, I'd love to offer my suggestions too, in case Don's still looking for opinions.

By the way, I feel the digital download route is a great way for Don to release the classic scores from his archives because there are no costs associated with mastering, printing and distributing discs. The only concern is the potential loss of quality, but if tracks are made available using high-quality encoding (or better yet, lossless encoding via use of the FLAC codec or similar) then I have no reason to worry. But as others in this thread have said, I'm happy to have Don's Knight Rider scores any way I can get them! I've been a humongous fan of his work on Knight Rider for the vast majority of my lifetime.

Having recently been listening to the audio track of many original KR episodes, I have found myself gaining a whole new appreciation for the scores from season 4. I feel that this season has been underrepresented in the scores that have been released thus far -- we've gotten a whole disc of season 3 scores (HMR Vol. 3), a mix of suites from all four seasons (HMR Vol. 1), and two complete scores from season 1 (HMR Vol. 2), all of which are great. But the more I listen to episodes from the show's last season, the more I am loving the cool percussion, the slap bass and synth sounds, and so my input here is going to be fourth season-centric. Each season of KR really has a sound all its own.

Of the episodes you mentioned that Don has found in storage, here are the top 5 that I'd most like to hear scores from:

Killer K.I.T.T.
Fright Knight
Burial Ground
Sky Knight
Knight of the Juggernaut

Below, I've identified some of my favorite cues from those episodes using time indexes from the episode DVDs. I realize this probably doesn't help Don that much given that his scores are likely identified by take/cue number (M-14-104 for example) but it might help Joe and the other members here if they want to cue these up and hear for themselves.

Killer K.I.T.T.

Honestly, I could likely die happy if I had this entire episode's score available to listen to. My favorite cues, though, are:
  • 5:15-6:35 -- The chase on the docks.
  • 9:15-10:30 -- The theme and suspense music that plays as Michael & KITT leave the semi and head over to investigate 317 Cloverfield Avenue.
  • 18:10-20:52 -- Suspense music as Bonnie tries to gain remote access to KITT, then Berio finally gets control and sends KITT recklessly hurtling off into traffic.
  • 21:29-23:22 -- KITT tries to kill Michael; Michael jumps on the hood; hot dog stand crash; act break.
  • 26:46-28:40 -- Michael rides RC's bike over to the warehouse.
  • 35:50-39:01 -- The chase sequence beginning where Michael intercepts KITT on the move, ending where KITT crashes into the convention center.
  • 42:03-43:32 -- Knight Rider theme score as Michael and RC go chasing after Berio's mobile lab.
  • 44:34-46:23 -- The final fight scene, leading up to the last act break. I absolutely love, love the FLAG fanfare that plays at the very end as KITT says "And that's just for computer lovers everywhere!"
Fright Knight

Great suspense cues and a really good action cue later that I've been obsessing over recently.
  • 15:00-17:17 -- The suspense theme that plays as Michael first investigates Stage 28 and is then attacked by the Phantom. This was teased for release on the old Hi-Tech Records second disc of scores before that project ended badly.
  • 39:57-40:53 -- The slap bass-heavy action theme that plays while Michael and Liz shoot the dangerous take for the production of Raging Sky II, including the part where the Phantom pulls a gun on them and KITT comes to the rescue.
Burial Ground

I've remembered this episode for years because of its haunting and suspenseful cues.
  • 16:08-16:57 -- Michael and Susan Christopher return to the reservation after their snake encounter.
  • 25:05-26:42 -- Always loved this bit. It's where Simpson knocks out Thorne and drives his kamikaze Camaro toward KITT on the narrow slope road, leading up to the act break when the bomb goes off. I like how the score bounces back and forth between KITT's slap bass theme and the suspense cues that serve as the theme for Simpson's Camaro, increasingly so as the two cars get closer.
  • 35:15-38:54 -- One of my favorite examples of Don's work in the entire fourth season. It's the suspense music beneath Michael's nighttime infiltration of Oakes' compound.
  • 41:55-42:15 -- KITT comes online to bring in a little "posse to the rescue". I love the theme fanfare as KITT smashes through the gate -- the almost total lack of percussion here is unusual but gives KITT's entrance a more heroic tone.
Sky Knight
  • 15:18-6:30 -- "It's a bomb! Code Red!" This opening chase, up to where KITT foils the escape of the bad guys in the van, makes for good listening. I originally found this cue unusual because it takes Stu Phillip's Knight Rider theme fanfare up an octave on the last note at 6:03; nice touch.
  • 14:35-15:30 -- Michael and KITT go to the movies.
  • 16:30-17:15 -- Zurich's contacts at the drive-in attempt to terminate KITT and Michael...and fail.
  • 24:17-25:15 -- After investigating the town in the middle of nowhere, Michael heads south. Nice musical driving sequence.
  • 26:35-27:10 -- Michael encounters, and disposes of, the military hardware back in town.
Knight of the Juggernaut
  • 1:48-2:20 -- The opening cue, the first time we hear Knight Rider's "Chicago Theme."
  • 8:34-9:55 -- Michael and KITT come to the aid of the Street Avenger.
  • 43:21-46:05 -- Another one of my favorite scores from the entire series. It's the suspenseful, hi-hat heavy theme that plays when Michael goes to rendezvous with Marta, KITT gets sprayed with the chemical that kills his molecular bonded shell, and culminates as the Juggernaut bursts out of the abandoned buildings.
  • 66:22-68:55 -- I like the whole bit from the chase at the patio restaurant through to the suspense theme where Michael goes looking for evidence of the real Devon Miles.
  • 70:30-71:38 -- Michael talks to KITT while he's under construction (and KITT talks like a cowboy). Nice little sentimental cue.
  • 85:50-87:00 -- Michael rushes to defuse the bomb before it blows up and kills Devon and Jennifer.
  • 92:45-94:00 -- The last scene on the airstrip when the bad guys make a final attempt to escape, leading up to the epilogue at the fountain.
It probably seems like I've gone a bit off the deep end with the level of detail here, but I'm incredibly obsessive over Knight Rider's score -- have been since I was six years old. There's just something magical about it, something that never gets old and that I'm sure I'll never tire of.

From the days of old cassette tapes that I made of the sound blaring from my TV's mono speaker, to today when I can extract audio digitally from my DVDs, I've listened to the music of Knight Rider any way I can get it. I'm such a fan of Don's work that whatever he may decide to release from his archives, whether it's on my list or not, I'm sure I'll find nothing but absolute joy in listening to time and again.

Joe -- thanks again for posting this topic, and if you get a chance to talk to Don again soon, give him my best -- and my sincerest thanks for being an integral part of Knight Rider, one of the happiest memories I have of my childhood. On my list of people I'd like to meet, he's at the top. I hope someday that I'll be able to make it to one of the Knight Cons to say thank you to Don in person.

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:27 am

I wouldn't worry about the level of detail Chief. After all, we're all oddballs here. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?