My choice for Knight Rider movie director

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

My choice for Knight Rider movie director

Post by DevonStyles » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:15 pm

My Choice for the movie director would have to be Joe Carnahan. This is the guy who directed the new A-team movie.

DId anyone see the new A-team movie? I thought it was fantastic. They brought it up to date and kept all the things from the past that we loved as well.

I think he would do a great job on the Knight Rider movie.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Re: My choice for Knight Rider movie director

Post by knightprobe89 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:53 pm

i saw the a team movie and it was awesome, they kept the movie as close as possible to the original, i have to agree with you about having the same director for knight rider. :good: :good:
in glen larson we trust.

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:47 pm

I agree...great movie. Jon Favreau would be my first choice, however.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duke500
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by duke500 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:24 pm

My choise would be Glen Larson

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:53 pm

Glen isn't a director though. I would like Rob Cohen, just because whether you throw stones at The Fast and the Furious or not - the man knows how to shoot good car action.

=VK=
:dash:

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:11 pm

Yes, I also saw the television series The A-Team and the new trailer 2010 and I think the best is the director Joe Carnahan or Steven Spielberg, because he is better. :good:

8)
Alex

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Victor Kros wrote:Glen isn't a director though. I would like Rob Cohen, just because whether you throw stones at The Fast and the Furious or not - the man knows how to shoot good car action.

=VK=
Jerry Bruckheimer for that matter for Gone in Sixty Seconds...that and The Fast and the Furious brought back the mojo to car movies...
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davidknightrider
Rookie

Post by davidknightrider » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:22 am

unfortunately, given that the A Team flopped at the US Box office, its not even going to make its budget back, although it should make a good profit via overseas box office, there is definitely not going to be a Knight Rider movie for at least another decade now.

dissapointing i must say.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:34 am

davidknightrider wrote:unfortunately, given that the A Team flopped at the US Box office, its not even going to make its budget back, although it should make a good profit via overseas box office, there is definitely not going to be a Knight Rider movie for at least another decade now.

dissapointing i must say.
The A-Team already made its budget back (110 million) with international and domestic sales (112 million) and will make back even more on the dvd sales. I think it is unfair to call it a "flop", considering movies like Killers, Jonah Hex and most recently Knight and Day, failed to make back their original production budgets by a landslide of disappointment. Even on dvd, I doubt they'll recover from the costs to make them.

Killers - 75 million (55.6 million domestic+international)

Jonah Hex - 47 million (9.7 million - no international figures yet)

Knight and Day - 117 million (45.8 million domestic+international)

A-Team also took a considerable risk by not being released in 3D or IMAX.

Most critics agree A-Team was a solid, fun, entertaining movie that delivered on the feel of the original television series - the reviews for A-Team were primarily positive. The problem wasn't a bad script, horrid director, or weak casting, it was simply that unlike Knight Rider, kids can't relate to a military based property like A-Team and that's why Karate Kid and Toy Story 3 won out. Prince of Persia also failed to make back the 200 millon production budget domestically (87 million) but made up for it internationally (313 million) and will continue to gain sales through the dvd market.

I would disagree that Knight Rider won't get a motion picture (in the next decade) because it has more appeal across the world and across more demographics than A-Team. I would agree Knight Rider will have a difficult time getting made given that modern audiences seem to be overly critical of good, fun, non sex or toilet humor dependent movies. Can a 80's property with the same clever humor survive today? Hard to say really but I think it's possible if it's handled in the right way and released at the right time.

Also Jerry Bruckheimer is not a director, he's a producer. Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000) was directed by Dominic Sena. Renny Harlin or Tony Scott isn't bad either.

=VK=

davidknightrider
Rookie

Post by davidknightrider » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:59 am

I know what you mean, the movie itself is terrific, a great movie, but unfortunately to the movie company, its a business, and if the movie fails to make a significant profit in terms of domestic box office, then its highly unlkely they will greenlight a sequel, which in essence was the whole point of this movie, to make a series.

Its look like we are most likely going to be stuck now with just the single A Team movie, which is very disheartening.

Of course, I agree KR has much bigger fanbase and influence in culture than A Team ever had, and in a way it might be more accessible to kids because of the cool car and look it has. So hopefully you are right, and we get a KR movie that will blow all the other movies from the box office top spot.

KR deserves a big screen smash hit, I really hope the movie makers haven't been put off by the relatively modest success of A Team at the box office.

I also think they need to pick a release date where its not going to be up against any other kids/action movies of the similar kind.

here's hoping.

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:30 am

i would say michael mann his movies always at least 3/4 stars and most of them at l east 2 1/2 hours long
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

82kittman
Stranger

Post by 82kittman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:38 pm

This needs to be KITT :)

http://img1.imagehyper.com/img.php?id=3 ... 893edab4f1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Iron KITT
Rookie

Post by Iron KITT » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:29 am

Some great ideas folkes!.

I loved The A-Team, the film delivered what it said it would do and that was entertain. It didnt pretend to be anything more than it's actual concept. Critics are always going to destroy films like this, as it's not art etc.

I liked what Joe did with the film and he will probably do another one if its on the cards.

Jon Favreau is an awsome director, I can't wait for Cowboys & Aliens, his comic book style and flair would make an interesting choice to do Knight Rider.

Jerry Brucheimer one of my favourite producers, now that would be cool!.

Michael Mann, although he is associated with Miami Vice certinly would give KR a real textured fast camera moving version, loved the way he made Collateral and Public Enemies.

Michael Bay would give it a big glossy look, okay maybe abit over the top but he makes a good movie.

I like J.J.Abrams.

Matthew Vaughan, the guy that made Layer Cake, Stardust and Kick-Ass, he is currently making X-Men: First Class.
Michael Knight: "KITT is the worlds greatest automobile"

My Movie Review Blog:
Sentient Saviour's Movie Wold!. http://sentientsaviourmovies.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:57 pm

Agreed with Michael Bay, Michael Mann , or Rob Cohen
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Iron KITT
Rookie

Post by Iron KITT » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:24 am

I think they will probably go for someone new in terms of directing. I'm sure studios, producers etc are always looking at the new ones out there making a mark and scout for the director that has that something special quality about them.

Take David Fincher for instance, now he used to be a special effects camera man at ILM, he went onto to direct some pretty high profile music videos before landing the Alien 3 gig.

Now he's one of the finest film makers out there!.

Also look at District 9, the guy behind that directed the famous Citreon Transformer style adverts, he was due to do Halo the movie but that didnt happen and out of that came District 9.

Look at the scale, character arcs, the deatil, production values and on a limited budget, he delivered an amazing, fresh and original piece, havent seen anything like that since Ridley Scott's Alien.

There is allot of talent out there, just a matter of finding the right person for the project.

I always liked Len Wiseman, Underworld 1 and 2 and Die Hard 4, amazing directing, crisp sharp and well paced visuals.
Michael Knight: "KITT is the worlds greatest automobile"

My Movie Review Blog:
Sentient Saviour's Movie Wold!. http://sentientsaviourmovies.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trav. knight
Recruit

Post by trav. knight » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:05 pm

dumb idea to throw out in the air, but colud james camaron do it?
he did Titanic and recently Avatar.
both those movies went through the roof because he was behind them...
just a thought..
who ever does get the divine privalge to make knight rider into a movie, I hope they keep it true to the theme(1 man and 1 car can make a diffrece), make it fresh and enjoyable to the new era along with the old era of fans, and is able to please what the fans have been demanding for for so long( Knight Rider the movie)!
1 man/ 1 car/ 1 diffrence....

1 man can make a diffrence,but you must decide to...

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:47 pm

Glen isn't a director though. I would like Rob Cohen, just because whether you throw stones at The Fast and the Furious or not - the man knows how to shoot good car action.
Rob Cohen is a good one, that is right...I love his work in Knight Rider 2010 :mrgreen: :good:
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

Sybaris
Volunteer

Post by Sybaris » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:33 am

The a-team had Steven J Canell on board that is why it felt close to the 80s show.

Id like to see a dark movie and would hire Tim Burton. Is Ivan Kershner still making movies?
Definately not JJ Abrahams, look at the terrible star trek reboot. He made the enterprise look like an industrial gas works. Are any of the 80s KR directors still about?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:04 am

Sybaris wrote:Id like to see a dark movie and would hire Tim Burton...Definately not JJ Abrahams, look at the terrible star trek reboot.
I am so conflicted - I completely agree and disagree with you at the same time!

I would be TOTALLY on board with Tim Burton doing Knight Rider. But like you say, not a fun and safe crowd-pleaser. Let Burton be Burton and do a dark vigilante version of Knight Rider. Yes, it would go against the tone of the show we all love but it would be a calculated risk that could really pay off.

But the new Star Trek? Terrible? Sorry, I really really enjoyed it.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Kal-el4
Operative

Post by Kal-el4 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:36 am

I definitely agree there Mike, the Star Trek reboot was awesome! the only real problem I had with it was the exterior of the Enterprise; it looks like a Klingon turd that a Romulan threw up on!

davidknightrider
Rookie

Post by davidknightrider » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:47 pm

Irvin Kershner would still make a better movie than Tim Burton, even though he's been dead for 2 years.

thats what I think of Tim Burton!

trav. knight
Recruit

Post by trav. knight » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:24 pm

since we're all throwing out names, how about Christopher Nolan?
you gotta admit the Batman movies he's made weren't that bad....
1 man/ 1 car/ 1 diffrence....

1 man can make a diffrence,but you must decide to...