(READ) Last G P S mod post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

(READ) Last G P S mod post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by taoworm2323 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:14 pm

This link will be the last time this mod will be available. It will be up for 3 days only.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
http://www.mydrive.ch/browse#/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest@taoworm23
password: knight
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

So here is the deal, download the version 4 zip ONLY.
You will notice not all of the 2 0 0 9 maps are there. Thats because I had to delete some to get it all to fit. (No Canada maps either.)
However if the maps on the included zips don't work download maps.rar and the (m a p s h i g h.xml) and the other xml. Those are generic ones that will work for all maps. The maps rar has the us and Canada 2 0 0 9 maps as well. So use those files as a backup if your map is not already preinstalled in my zip.

Read the read me file in the zip folder to install this on your unit.
ALSO VERY IMPORTANT MAKE A BACK UP OF YOU DRIVE BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING TO CHANGE YOUR UNIT!

(This mod may make your unit a brick so do this at your own risk!)

3 days! 3 days only!
Enjoy! :good: :wink:
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

NJLion82
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: (READ) Last G P S mod post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by NJLion82 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:31 pm

taoworm,

Thanks for the message. I can't seem to figure out how to get to your content. myDrive is only allowing me to view and access my own content as NJLion82. Haven't figured out how to get to yours. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong here, it's all new to me. Also, I'm flying to Orlando mid-afternoon tomorrow for a week of R&R. So if this content is only up there for 3 days, try to get this info to me by tomorrow morning.

Thanks

platformshag
Recruit

Post by platformshag » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:35 pm

NJLion82 wrote:taoworm,

Thanks for the message. I can't seem to figure out how to get to your content. myDrive is only allowing me to view and access my own content as NJLion82. Haven't figured out how to get to yours. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong here, it's all new to me. Also, I'm flying to Orlando mid-afternoon tomorrow for a week of R&R. So if this content is only up there for 3 days, try to get this info to me by tomorrow morning.

Thanks
if you already have an account with myDrive, you'll have to log out and sign in as "Guest@taoworm23"

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:02 am

Platformshag is right.
Just log in using the Guest@taoworm23 as username.

platformshag
Recruit

Post by platformshag » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:55 am

Hey Tao,

no intent to offend, but I fixed up the maploading.png file for a couple reasons. 1) it was off centered and 2) the map loading progress bar was overlayed on your text.

Anyone who would prefer to use my version, I have put it on my server here: http://www.sweetbackgroove.com/maploading.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's basically the same, only with the text at the top so everything is clearly legible.

Also for Tao: The opening video is great (with the binary and kitt voice over), but I noticed it is also off center. When I try to edit it, it seems to have the progress bar from quicktime embedded into the bottom, even though that doesn't appear on the device. It's strange. Not sure if that's something you can easily fix or not.

Also wondering about the CarIcon and CarIcon2. I put them both in the appropriate directory to replace the red caricon, but will it animate the two automatically or are they both just there for choice?

Thanks again for all your hard work Tao, you're awesome.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:28 am

platformshag wrote:Hey Tao,

no intent to offend, but I fixed up the maploading.png file for a couple reasons. 1) it was off centered and 2) the map loading progress bar was overlayed on your text.
Hey, thanks! :good:
platformshag wrote: Also for Tao: The opening video is great (with the binary and kitt voice over), but I noticed it is also off center. When I try to edit it, it seems to have the progress bar from quicktime embedded into the bottom, even though that doesn't appear on the device. It's strange. Not sure if that's something you can easily fix or not.
Well there's an explanation for that platformshag.
Replace that file with any other small 3 second video clip to see what I mean. :lol:
The G P S unit re-sizes and crops the video so I had to screen capture my own video and draw reference points on my CRT screen of my PC to...well you get the picture.
That's as close on center as I could get it. The art of approximation. :lol:

I'm glad you guys like it though! Let me know if any of you have any problems. :good:

Just to recap folks:

This mod is the only one to make the 2 0 0 9 maps work on the M i o. (Including M I O themselves. There software was SO bo bo that it never updated any of the units. I had to hack it just to get it to work and then figure out a way to make it work for all of you and get around that whole hardware serial number thing. :lol: )

This mod has KITTs voice say a surprise comment when you speed instead of the stock 'beep' sound.

American map speed signs instead of the stock European ones.

Correct pitch and new intros of KITT.

When his battery gets low KITT now tells you instead of a beep.
More graphics
More screen options

This file is a KnightRiderOnline exclusive free to all who frequent here.
3 days only folks! Hurry!

platformshag
Recruit

Post by platformshag » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:46 am

Just waiting on those voice guidance files that Mio's update deleted, and I'm good to go. ;)

I didn't update the mod's maps since I'm in Canada and you said it wouldn't work here... but I noticed when I tried to unrar the Maps.rar file, it was corrupt. I tried re-downloading it and it only got 370 MBS of the 707 it's listed at on myDrive.

Not sure if this issue is on my end or not, but thought I would mention it in case.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:13 am

platformshag wrote:Just waiting on those voice guidance files that Mio's update deleted, and I'm good to go. ;)
After the 3rd day I will post the replacement KITT voice file for you on mydrive.
platformshag wrote: I didn't update the mod's maps since I'm in Canada and you said it wouldn't work here... but I noticed when I tried to unrar the Maps.rar file, it was corrupt. I tried re-downloading it and it only got 370 MBS of the 707 it's listed at on myDrive.
It's probably because so many folks are trying to download it right now. Try maybe downloading maps.rar later tomorrow maybe when it's died down a bit. (I am downloading it myself from another computer right now to see if it does the same thing to me.) I will let you know.

platformshag
Recruit

Post by platformshag » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:17 am

I also noticed that the background_legalscreen.png has a black text box, which makes the legal text black on black and illegible. I just replaced it with the original from my backup.

Aydann.
Rookie

Post by Aydann. » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:27 am

May I ask, What does it do // change?
One man can make a difference, Michael.

scatpack
Operative

Post by scatpack » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:00 am

I got a MIO and it needs some serious updating. I am gonna download this to my computer then see if I can upload it to the GPS unit.

yanKnight
Volunteer

Post by yanKnight » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:35 am

Thanks for the notification!

I won't have time to install it until next year, tough. LOL. (yeah, that's in like 12 hours!)

can't wait to see what the new canadian maps will bring to us in the Montreal area.

Merci beaucoup!!

-Y

platformshag
Recruit

Post by platformshag » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:01 pm

taoworm2323 wrote:
platformshag wrote: I didn't update the mod's maps since I'm in Canada and you said it wouldn't work here... but I noticed when I tried to unrar the Maps.rar file, it was corrupt. I tried re-downloading it and it only got 370 MBS of the 707 it's listed at on myDrive.
It's probably because so many folks are trying to download it right now. Try maybe downloading maps.rar later tomorrow maybe when it's died down a bit. (I am downloading it myself from another computer right now to see if it does the same thing to me.) I will let you know.
It took me 2 attempts today, but I managed to get all 707 today and it unrar'd perfectly.

Cheers!

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:56 pm

platformshag wrote:I also noticed that the background_legalscreen.png has a black text box, which makes the legal text black on black and illegible.
Yeah I did that on purpose.
I don't like seeing a legal agreement when I start KITT up. It makes me feel like a child. :lol:
I would have gotten rid of it all together if I could, but I didn't manage that.
That's why I made it black on black. 8)

Glad you guys are enjoying it!
Spread the love. Torrent this file, rapidshare it. Do whatever just spread the file. There are SO many folks (99% of Mio users) who don't have the 2009 maps working on there units and this will fix that plus MANY other things. :good:

platformshag
Recruit

Post by platformshag » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:11 pm

Hey Tao,

I used the maps from Maps.rar because I'm in Canada and made sure to copy the new Canada map first.

The only two I could not fit on were: US96R083.map and US97R083.map because the difference from 80 to 83 was so big. I opted to just rename the existing 80 files to 83 so they would load with your mapshigh.xml file. Is this acceptable or am I misunderstanding how it works?

Also, after updating as many maps as I could, renaming, and copying over the mapshigh.xml & curmaps.xsd, It still does not load the new Canada map. In fact the unit displays "Some Maps Did Not Load Correctly". I quickly skimmed the mapshigh.xml and Canada doesn't seem to be in there. Is there a section of code I can add to this file to resolve this? Should I just reload the original mapshigh.xml and rename all the files back to 80?

Thanks for your help.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:38 pm

Platformshag,
Try reloading the original mapshigh.xml and rename all the files back to 80
or
Reload the original mapshigh.xml and edit the xml to end with 83 instead of 80.

Let me know if that works for ya! :good:

platformshag
Recruit

Post by platformshag » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:00 pm

taoworm2323 wrote:Platformshag,
Try reloading the original mapshigh.xml and rename all the files back to 80
or
Reload the original mapshigh.xml and edit the xml to end with 83 instead of 80.

Let me know if that works for ya! :good:

Tried it both ways, and I'm still getting "Some Maps Failed To Load Correctly". I'm going back to originals for now, have a road trip in an hour and need my maps, but I'll play around with it more tomorrow.

platformshag
Recruit

Post by platformshag » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:51 pm

I also discovered that while KITT is playing back "name" and "intro", the file that is being displayed is "splash.png" so I created a new splash.png from a cleaned up version of the voice box I found searching for double-din wallpaper.

I'll make it available to KRO people here: http://www.sweetbackgroove.com/splash.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just swap it for the splash.png file in your "../Program Files/Navman/SmartST_CE/UI/" directory on your mio.

Cheers! :kitt:

platformshag
Recruit

Post by platformshag » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:49 pm

taoworm2323 wrote:
platformshag wrote:Just waiting on those voice guidance files that Mio's update deleted, and I'm good to go. ;)
After the 3rd day I will post the replacement KITT voice file for you on mydrive.

Hey Tao,

I don't know why this didn't work the 100 times I did it before, but I just got KITT's voice guidance files back on my unit!! I went back into the Mio Desktop and uninstalled ALL voice files (TTS and Regular). Then closed the software, turned off the GPS, and rebooted. Then went BACK into Mio Desktop and REinstalled ALL US English voice files (TTS and Regular) and there he was! KITT's back, baby!!!

Thanks for everything! Happy New Year.

:kittside:

seven58o
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by seven58o » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:05 pm

i cannot for the life of me get the new maps to load. it says "Some Map Did Not Load" every time and i've tried all your steps above. renaming files just tells me that "No Map Exists"

I guess i'll just go back to the old maps. everything else works fine thanks for the mods!

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:55 pm

seven58o wrote:i cannot for the life of me get the new maps to load. it says "Some Map Did Not Load" every time and i've tried all your steps above. renaming files just tells me that "No Map Exists"

I guess i'll just go back to the old maps. everything else works fine thanks for the mods!
Are you replacing the mapshigh.xml that I put in the zip with my 'generic one' from mydrive?
I have been told that the maps do indeed work on others units. I want you to have maps the are as current as possible because there may not be a 2010 update on the maps. I think this is it for us owners of these units as far as map updates.
The new G P S units by M I O are written in a different language on a different OS kernel. Likewise they use a different map format. :(

(Of course I will still endeavor to keep the maps compatible with our units as far into the future as I can.)

seven58o
Volunteer

Post by seven58o » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:20 pm

yep. loaded all the map stuff a couple of times and it still tells me "Some Failed To Load" and then it just shows me a car with no roads anywhere.

seven58o
Volunteer

Post by seven58o » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:26 pm

the Mio app on the computer shows the maps are already installed...the Mio itself just cant use them for some reason...

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:13 am

seven58o wrote:the Mio app on the computer shows the maps are already installed...the Mio itself just cant use them for some reason...
You have the REAL unit not the newer China (Knockoff) Navman unit right?
I need to know who else cannot get the new maps to show.

(Side Note to everyone: I have taken the files down now. Hope everyone enjoyed!)

TheQuestion
Volunteer

Post by TheQuestion » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:44 am

I'm also not getting the maps to load.

I'll give you as much details as I can
maybe you see somethign that I'm not noticing.

it says "some maps failed to load" then shows me the empty map screen with KITT in the middle of nowhere :lol:

the clock is 2 hours behind now too...
not sure why or how it managed that.

I get the impression that it is rejecting the maps or just plain doesn't see any map files
because the progress bar just jumps from empty to full when it gets to the loading maps screen.

if I try to manually enter an address, it tells me to install some maps or "insert an SD card with maps" on it.

I used the v4 zip file and followed the directions with the two missing map files

then I added all the map files from the map.rar file and the other mapshigh.xml

got the same result no matter what combination of files I used.

everything else works perfectly:
the new speed warning, the new battery warning
the sounds are all much more accurate like WD sounded in the 80s
the car icon is perfect
the new video is perfect
the new intros are perfect...

so, I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

whats does the mapslow.xml file do? do I need it?
I tried with and without it, no change