My 3rd KR GPS Mod

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knighttime
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: My 3rd KR GPS Mod

Post by Knighttime » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:10 am

Thanks taoworm. I will download the KR upgrade you've made (when I get a good window of time for my slow internet!). It'll be fun to load it onto a KR GPS, and I'm sure I can find a map to work somewhere! Thank you taoworm2323 for your hard work. :good:

I asked about the ability to use the Kitt features on other units simply because I'm trying to decide what to do with the idea of installing 'Kitt' into one of my cars. Heres the rub with me (a pedantically realistic modellor/fabricator): the 'Knight Rider' tagged sat nav is all well and good, and it'll be in my life along with all the KR memorabilia I have as a fan. Yet what I'd really root for is a simple unit without the Knight rider 'styling' and flashing lights, but with just the Kitt voice, sound effects and special phrases like you've sorted - its the audio that is the gem, yours in particular with its pitch alteration and additional enhanced track from the show. A simple screen mounted into the dash, no peripherals, except a Kitt VM in the appropriate place so, like the Kitt in the show, you have an integrated screen with your data, and the modulator flashing as he speaks. I guess one could strip the KR mio of its casing and extra leds, but ? I am sure there must be some replica builders who have the KR gps, but wondered how to 'disguise' it into their show-accurate KITT. Most probably just put in right there as it is, and I've seen you taoworm hook up the VM to great effect, but has anyone managed to integrate the screen unit/rehouse it or something similar to maintain the 'illusion'? any thoughts/advice on that taoworm or anyone else? How will you be fitting your gps?

As for some cars, its just that the style of the thing does not fit (again a rehousing/design issue), as it would be good to turn off the side LEDs in favour of just a VM. I noticed you comment on that somewhere. Could you elaborate on wiring the Kitt voice modulator to the GPS for us? ie where precisely to connect to in the gps (existing audio out connection or...?) and to the jupiter vm, plus explanation of the deactivation of the gps' leds.

With thanks for your time and best regards,
Knighttime
:dash:
"Now is the winter of my discontent, made glorious summer by this sun of York"

LONG LIVE THE KITT

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by CJaguar442 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:14 pm

taoworm2323 wrote:Chris delete everything again and reinstall your original, original backup.
Now go back to the login page and download "mio knight rider gps mod V4.0 extras" .
Read the instillation instructions contained in that zip file and replace only the appropriate folders in the proper locations.

You will have the new updated 2009 maps as well as improved KITT audio and software

Be sure to reserve 15mb or more of additional space or else the new maps will not fit.

If you still have problems let me know. :good:
what is the differnece bewteen your maps and mine

my mio does not have the alerts folder or shape files folder

and my map files ends in 81 your map files ends in 83
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Knighttime
Volunteer

Post by Knighttime » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:36 am

Hey taoworm the 'mydrive' site won't let me login as before, it says 'the old guest access isn't supported any more'....but it logs in with a 'guest@........', and the folder isn't there...? :? :(

the best,
kt
"Now is the winter of my discontent, made glorious summer by this sun of York"

LONG LIVE THE KITT

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:31 am

CJaguar442 wrote:

Chris my maps don't match your maps because I have 2009 maps and you have 2008 maps. I mentioned the details of that earlier in this thread. (Same with Polys & the shape file folders.) Read the installation file.
Thats the whole point of this was to get you guys the 2009 maps because without my help NO ONE with a Knight Rider GPS will ever get the updated maps. Mio dropped the ball BIG time.

Here is an actual letter on another website referencing this issue:

"The Mio Knight Rider GPS is a very good functioning unit. However I purchased it with the promise of the 2009 free map upgrade. After many delays it was offered as a download, not shipped as all the advertising claimed. In short the upgrade does not work, and has more steps than installing Windows. Customer service is terrible. Email consists of filling out web site boxes and waiting two days for a generic reply in extremely bad English. "Are you using 64 bit Vista? Use 32 bit Vista. Try an Xp system. You can only upgrade a Canada map. If you still 'meet' the problem, etc." Even though the Mio Knight Rider is a very good GPS, I would not recommend it because of customer service problems.
Posted by: -=George=- at June 16, 2009 11:15 AM
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:19 am

taoworm2323 wrote:
CJaguar442 wrote:

Chris my maps don't match your maps because I have 2009 maps and you have 2008 maps. I mentioned the details of that earlier in this thread. (Same with Polys & the shape file folders.) Read the installation file.
Thats the whole point of this was to get you guys the 2009 maps because without my help NO ONE with a Knight Rider GPS will ever get the updated maps. Mio dropped the ball BIG time.

Here is an actual letter on another website referencing this issue:

"The Mio Knight Rider GPS is a very good functioning unit. However I purchased it with the promise of the 2009 free map upgrade. After many delays it was offered as a download, not shipped as all the advertising claimed. In short the upgrade does not work, and has more steps than installing Windows. Customer service is terrible. Email consists of filling out web site boxes and waiting two days for a generic reply in extremely bad English. "Are you using 64 bit Vista? Use 32 bit Vista. Try an Xp system. You can only upgrade a Canada map. If you still 'meet' the problem, etc." Even though the Mio Knight Rider is a very good GPS, I would not recommend it because of customer service problems.
Posted by: -=George=- at June 16, 2009 11:15 AM

tao you did not put all six 2009 maps in the update

i am missing
CA99R082.map 45,576 kb
US95R083.map 4,212 kb
Save the Clocktower!

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:46 am

if i can delete my log files to get more space on the hard drive

and you never gave me the shape files folder or the alerts folder
i get some maps did not load correctly
Save the Clocktower!

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:49 am

Thats normal. I did not install these maps on purpose because we don't need them. It would have made the destination folder too big.

I am uploading a new file now.
It should be ready by this afternoon.
Start downloading my new file around 5pm today.
I will throw in the extra maps if you want to see if they will fit. But you will have to change out your maps high and mapslow.xml for a bigger more generic one.
If you can see the maps fine and it's picking up your house ok than I wouldn't worry about it.
Give me any info on how the device is working.
If your system is updated you should have turn by turn sign directions by pushing the magnifying glass icon to your right in map mode. Normally this just toggled between 2d 3d and birds eye view mode but now it has turn by turn. Check it out and get back to me.

Flank
Stranger

Post by Flank » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could get the mod and map update?

Thank you.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:37 pm

I am going to be posting a video soon, in the description box I will have links to the files everyone needs for all of the mio projects I have been working on.
Even the name 'Nick' for one KRO user.
I will let everyone know when I complete it. Sorry for the delay my GPS upgrade buddys. Been super busy with the orbs.

http://www.mydrive.ch/browse#/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User taoworm23
Pass: Guest

seven58o
Volunteer

Post by seven58o » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:00 pm

so apparently i'm a year behind on all this, but i JUST got my KR GPS and i want all the cool mods!! updated voice and extra phrases! anyone around here still have a download??

TheQuestion
Volunteer

Post by TheQuestion » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:48 am

Knighttime wrote:Thanks taoworm. I will download the KR upgrade you've made (when I get a good window of time for my slow internet!). It'll be fun to load it onto a KR GPS, and I'm sure I can find a map to work somewhere! Thank you taoworm2323 for your hard work. :good:

I asked about the ability to use the Kitt features on other units simply because I'm trying to decide what to do with the idea of installing 'Kitt' into one of my cars. Heres the rub with me (a pedantically realistic modellor/fabricator): the 'Knight Rider' tagged sat nav is all well and good, and it'll be in my life along with all the KR memorabilia I have as a fan. Yet what I'd really root for is a simple unit without the Knight rider 'styling' and flashing lights, but with just the Kitt voice, sound effects and special phrases like you've sorted - its the audio that is the gem, yours in particular with its pitch alteration and additional enhanced track from the show. A simple screen mounted into the dash, no peripherals, except a Kitt VM in the appropriate place so, like the Kitt in the show, you have an integrated screen with your data, and the modulator flashing as he speaks. I guess one could strip the KR mio of its casing and extra leds, but ? I am sure there must be some replica builders who have the KR gps, but wondered how to 'disguise' it into their show-accurate KITT. Most probably just put in right there as it is, and I've seen you taoworm hook up the VM to great effect, but has anyone managed to integrate the screen unit/rehouse it or something similar to maintain the 'illusion'? any thoughts/advice on that taoworm or anyone else? How will you be fitting your gps?

As for some cars, its just that the style of the thing does not fit (again a rehousing/design issue), as it would be good to turn off the side LEDs in favour of just a VM. I noticed you comment on that somewhere. Could you elaborate on wiring the Kitt voice modulator to the GPS for us? ie where precisely to connect to in the gps (existing audio out connection or...?) and to the jupiter vm, plus explanation of the deactivation of the gps' leds.

With thanks for your time and best regards,
Knighttime
:dash:

if you've already built a replica, then you have the two (or one) screens already in the dash.

I would assume this is connected to a car pc. I don't see why it would be too hard to run some open GPS software that is compatible with commercial maps and voices. it is my understanding that there are a few floating around the internet already.

that would be the most authentic look and feel possible, as even in the show, KITT was able to display driving routes on one (or both) of his screens.

as taoworm pointed out in another thread, the KITT voice file used for navigation is a dat file named: "ki_m_5.dat" and it can be opened directly in audacity.

whterdr
Stranger

Post by whterdr » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:25 am

Hey There Taoworm2323,

Not sure if you will get this post. I've been trying to track you down and I'm just trying to cover all my bases. I was wondering if you still have a download site for the upadated maps and you're cool mods for the KR GPS. Any way that I could get those upgrades and mods would be doable for me. You are a great help to those of us who are computer challenged...lol

Any help would be great.

thank you,

whterdr

NicodemusLegend
Stranger

Post by NicodemusLegend » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm finding out about this pretty late, but would be very interested if there's a working way to update my Knight Rider GPS.

KnightRidersAuto
Stranger

Post by KnightRidersAuto » Wed May 19, 2010 6:24 pm

I desperately need help
When i got my GPS and hooked it up to my comp i realised that my PC recognised the device as a usb storage device and i did the HUGE mistake to format them.... So now the device starts i see the logo and the two monitors and a cable between them... The pc continues to recognize the device like storage device :?

Please Help
ridersknight@hotmail.com is my e-mail

rhghost007
Stranger

Post by rhghost007 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:34 pm

I am impressed with all the progress some of you have made with your KR gps systems... I just wish I knew anything at all about how you guys are managing to do this... I'm clueless but a huge fan and would really like some help if you have the time. :kitt:

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:32 pm

Is there anyway I can get the voice off the MIO Knight Rider GPS? I have a laptop with Garmin Mobile PC on it which will take any voice I want. I just need those GPS phrases, like "Right Turn", etc.
Or, if someone wants to do me a favor and record them to Wave files, here's list of words I need and I'll pay them for their time. I don't need an edited word, just the complete phrases that the words are in. I'll do the editing. I can also make the pitch higher and the speed a bit faster to make him sound more like he did 30 years ago.
Thanks, anyone!!

ChrisO
PS...I tried to buy the KITT voices package that they sell for Garmin products, but it won't install in the Garmin Mobile PC software. I even wrote to Garmin to buy the individual sound files but they can't break them out of the packaged software.

PPS....for those who might also have Garmin Mobile PC, I am working on making a KITT icon for the screen.

Here's that list:

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:50 am

corlando52 wrote:Is there anyway I can get the voice off the MIO Knight Rider GPS? I have a laptop with Garmin Mobile PC on it which will take any voice I want. I just need those GPS phrases, like "Right Turn", etc.
Or, if someone wants to do me a favor and record them to Wave files, here's list of words I need and I'll pay them for their time. I don't need an edited word, just the complete phrases that the words are in. I'll do the editing. I can also make the pitch higher and the speed a bit faster to make him sound more like he did 30 years ago.
Thanks, anyone!!

ChrisO
PS...I tried to buy the KITT voices package that they sell for Garmin products, but it won't install in the Garmin Mobile PC software. I even wrote to Garmin to buy the individual sound files but they can't break them out of the packaged software.

PPS....for those who might also have Garmin Mobile PC, I am working on making a KITT icon for the screen.

Here's that list:
do you have a ink to this product ?
Save the Clocktower!

knightyper99
Volunteer

Post by knightyper99 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:22 am

I have the original Knight Rider GPS by mio. How do I get the mio knight rider gps mod V4.0 extras? I was wondering if there is an updated or more recent version and if you could send it to me.

knightyper99
Volunteer

Post by knightyper99 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:20 am

taoworm2323 wrote:I am going to be posting a video soon, in the description box I will have links to the files everyone needs for all of the mio projects I have been working on.
Even the name 'Nick' for one KRO user.
I will let everyone know when I complete it. Sorry for the delay my GPS upgrade buddys. Been super busy with the orbs.

http://www.mydrive.ch/browse#/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User taoworm23
Pass: Guest
When u go to this it says: Invalid username or password
Example: The user Teamwork has two guest users called John and Anna

To login as the main user Teamwork, enter Teamwork as username
To login as the guest user John, enter John@Teamwork as username
To login as the guest user Anna, enter Anna@Teamwork as username
Username Remember login
Password Use SSL

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:58 am

Hey guys, the Mio KR GPS is pretty dead now. The latest map upgrade you could get is 2009 maps and in 2011 that just don't cut it.
The Mio KR project has been abandoned.

But not to worry, I am working on a new version that will be voice activated.
You guys are gonna dig it for sure.
Stay tuned...

knightyper99
Volunteer

Post by knightyper99 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:36 am

taoworm2323 wrote:Hey guys, the Mio KR GPS is pretty dead now. The latest map upgrade you could get is 2009 maps and in 2011 that just don't cut it.

Stay tuned...
Was wondering if u had at least the update files for 2009 and the upgrades mod yet like the video on youtube shows?
Why couldn't the software be updated with new maps from a different model or reprogram the mio knight rider gps?

knightyper99
Volunteer

Post by knightyper99 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:59 am

taoworm2323 wrote:Hey guys, the Mio KR GPS is pretty dead now. The latest map upgrade you could get is 2009 maps and in 2011 that just don't cut it.

Stay tuned...
Would u be willing to send the updated maps yet and software mods. I am interested in keeping this alive and not dead. There has to be a way to reprogram the mio for new maps etc. Would u be willing to share with me what u have learned about it so hopefully those who would like to continue using it can be helped. I appreciate your time.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:17 pm

knightyper99 wrote: There has to be a way to reprogram the mio for new maps etc.
No there is not.
The new maps by Mio are in a totally different format. There is no way to convert I'm afraid.
The old Mio maps are in .map format. The new ones made are not in .map format.

OldTech57
Stranger

Post by OldTech57 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:38 am

Hello...I wish I had seen this site before I used the Miomore software on my Knight Rider GPS. It is now next to dead. Is there a fix available for this unit or should I toss it out....any help would be appreciated...I am a newbie to this site and this unit as well...thanks all :oops:

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:48 am

When you say it's next to dead...what do you mean exactly?