ws6air replica updates

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ws6air
Operative

Re: ws6air replica updates

Post by ws6air » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:14 pm

Just thought I'd keep you all posted. Been quite busy with the intake on wifey's ride, but also had time to make my Vbox, which by the way, took awhile to do. This is from Billy at Knight Designs. I compared the Vbox from Brenon and Billy's over the weekend, that is the new Aluminum one, which by the way is KILLER! I liked both for certain reasons. I for one liked Brenon's for the fact that it bolts on to the electronic board.....KILLLER!!!! Also , the Bobox has dividers in it for no bleed in light from one LED to the next, Billy's does not. I had to put dividers in mine, and I think Andy G did too. That's actually alot of work.(more than I wanted to , I will say) This, I would have preferred with Billys. Now for Font, Billy nailed it for me, also the size of the Air, Oil, etc. I also had to place diffusers in all places for lighting issues. This Bezel actually was alot of work. Billy's is made mainly for his dash, it is a little wider and a little different than Bo's box. Not much though. I'm not going to bore you all with this crazy stuff, here's some pics. I played around with the photo of the bezel closeup to give it the feel of the show. For some weird reason the , 3 bar on the vbox looks pink in pics, but when your in person , it is as red as can be. Oh well, here's some pics. Talk to you all later. Thanks Brenon for the Diffusers too.

See ya....next pics, I guess will be with it in the car , painted and ready to install....and of course ....lit up!...Talk to you all soon

Marc
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:41 am

OK, I'm crazy, but I made a change, I got another Voicebezel and combined the acrylics from Billy, and the bezel from Brenon. I'm not advertising for either, just that, I thought it was a weird combination and actually looks pretty close to screen accurate. Little things here and there , but for the most part , I'm happy with this combo. I'm going to include a screengrab that I used to model from. The pursuit in the bezel is the blue one by the way. I think this is a 1st season bezel/can't remember, but this has always been what I remembered. Talk to you guys later, now I'm going to rework the dash to fit the newer bezel .

Marc

roDa
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by roDa » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:25 am

It looks gooood!!! It's going to be an exceptional replica, I'm pretty sure :D
Those streets have more potholes than Devon has neckties. :lol:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:11 am

I never quite i understood why people use a 3 light bulb setup behind the mode displays on the voice modulators.They always looked solid to me.

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:27 am

In person, you don't see the LEDs , and I was only using one diffuser also. You can use two diffusers to make the LEDs not show up behind it, Plus, I had to contrast the photo out alot to be able to see everything ok. Everything in pics are real bright, even with shutter speeds/and using a 9-volt battery. So , in person, it looks alot different. The bezel is not gray, like the pics looks, it is bright shiney aluminum. The orginal probably did use bulbs and if memory serves of some old shots, they were. The original bezel probably got hot as #*LL fromt the old bulbs. Now, when I'm done , you'll probably not see the LEDs at all behind it, or any weird artifacts. Anyway, but I do agree in some since, if going for total accuracy, you would have to use a bulb, but for heat/battery, I'll stick with my LEDs. Thanks for looking and talk to you all later.

Marc

roDa
Rookie

Post by roDa » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:24 pm

I hadn't noticed the three bulbs :P
You're going to paint it black, aren't you? Do you already have the voicebox?

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:55 am

Oh yey, I'm going to paint it, and since it's metal, it's not going anywhere either. Again, I like both bezels and Brenon's bezel is a hair smaller than Billy's. Billy's is to the specs of the origianl dash openings, which are bigger, but we are talking about a 1/16th of an inch , or around that area. There was definately about 3 different bezels, maybe even four, one was the Scheffe sytle,

You also had this weird one , which nobody makes a version of. Billy is the only one making the Scheffe one that I know of also, This weird one looks like it may have been a first , then they cut the top out for the new 3-row introduced later.

This is the one we are all used to seeing, also, this bezel's pursuit was sometimes, Blue or Red. Even some photos , it looks purple.

Anyway, you all know I'll show some pics when I'm done with it. Anyway. I know you didn't ask about the different bezels, but alot people don't even know about the second one there. Anyway. Talk with ya'll later.

Marc

roDa
Rookie

Post by roDa » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:08 am

I actually didn't know about the different bezels, just about the two voice boxes :D
It's also the first time I notice a depression in the middle of the steering wheel... Was that the horn or what? I thought it was flat there...
Have a nice day ;)

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:00 pm

Well, not alot done, but got the bezel put in. Took a bit, considering the different sizes of Billy's and Brenon's. Didn't turn out bad, I actually see some lines that I still need to change, but that will come with time. I know I post too much , but , I'm just trying to show others who do this stuff, from beginning to end , (and to go back when done and look at the history of it) how I did mine at least. Anyway. The orginal Universal dash, the bezel stuck out. I was going for more of the Scheffe style, being flush. Anyway, some mods here and there, but it fits and looks great(I think). Now to change a couple of lines and finish this up!

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:08 pm

Nice work man :good:
Already looks amaizing :good:
"One man can make a difference"
Knight Rider forever

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks ThomasKnight.....These things definately take some time and patience!.... Finished the Bezel, and now looking at my first prime on the dash, filling in gaps and holes where I did some modding and stuff around the Bezel area and other areas. Not bad for first sanding. Found alot of small blemishes that you just don't see when working areas. Anyway. Here's some pics. Thanks again guys! Maybe in a couple of weeks , I'll have this thing done. I'm, oh sooo ,dreading the painting of this dash. Anyway. Here's some pics of what I've gotten done so far. Thanks for lookin....Later

Marc

iKITT
Recruit

Post by iKITT » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:31 pm

It looks gorgeous. I'm certain the rest of the dash will end up being as fantastic as your bezel. :good:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:41 pm

I can't wait until its finished.Maybe its becuase I'm liking the progress pics.

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:11 am

Hey , I finally got the dash painted....What a B!t(h..... Man, ol, Satin Black....Got to love it... Anyway.. Here's some pics, man , getting excited.....Electronics going in very soon....Thanks for looking...

Marc

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:29 am

With the switchpod mount being long and the stearing wheel also adding to the length,will you be cutting a section into the switchpod mount to get to the ignition?

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:39 am

Nah, there is room underneath. Not much, if you watch Hasselhoff, he had issues sometimes reaching under the pods too... :D Funny to watch. Now , I have to mount pad to dash. not an issue task, but will be cool to see....Anyway. Thanks

Marc

roDa
Rookie

Post by roDa » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:52 pm

You could actually put an ignition button... It'd be cool... However, I wouldn't label it "ignition" for obvious reasons :D
Your dash looks awesome!

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:10 pm

Well, got a little done in the last couple of days. Man, I will say , if I ever do a countdown again, I will not do it like this one. This one was Billy's glassed piece I did. It has to be done very nervously. Hah! I'll cut the center out next time, if there ever is a next time. This is just my experience, but I indeed like the bezel that was made for this. This was NOT my favorite piece nor nicest piece. One shot, that's it or start over. Anyway. I also worked on the dashpad putting on. Not that bad of a deal, just time consuming. Anyway. Electronics are next.... Might have a shot by the weekend, not rushing it though, but I am excited to see this thing finished...!!!! Talk with you all later!!!

Marc

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:18 pm

AH, I figured, Let's get on with it.......I think I'm smiling..... Turned out cool.... fixed some things also, but at the same time, marked some stuff up too. These things get very heavy after everything is in. It's going to happen, but I'll fix it, it's not big of boo , boos, but anyway. I think it turned out nice. Now for pics.....They are not the best but oh well....Thanks for looking

Marc

DarKSLaiN
Operative

Post by DarKSLaiN » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:11 am

Just... Just... WHOAA!!

Congrats marc, looks extremely hot :)

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:02 am

Here's a peek of things coming along...... sorry for quality of photo ....Iphone

Marc

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:21 am

here's another pic....of the bottom of the hood....

Me likey

Marc

roDa
Rookie

Post by roDa » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:44 pm

I love it, it's sooo glossy :D
I bet you can actually use it as a mirror haha!

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:48 pm

These are still photos from Iphone, but I'll get better ones when it's home, but getting very exciting now!!! Wet sanding and buffing is done.... These guys don't play, they all gang up on it and get it done, killer job guys! Thanks to THE PAINT SHOP in North Carolina. Slick as they get, and I'm very picky...and I'm happy! Excuse me if that sounds anyway, I'm just soooo excited to see it in Black and how it turned out...Anyway. 5 years is now worth the wait...Here's some pics

stevefawcett
Operative

Post by stevefawcett » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:29 am

simply amazing