K.I.T.T. Dashboard/Voice Modulator Blunders

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

peterp&j
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: K.I.T.T. Dashboard/Voice Modulator Blunders

Post by peterp&j » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:08 pm

simon_a6 wrote:HEARTS OF STONE

Earlier we mention that you see a 'stick on dash' when MK is on the hood.
Take a look at the last scene in Hearts of Stone, the scene just before the final quick race, and 30 secs before the man and woman hug.

KITT pulls up with MK and the girl, and you can see the dash is not all there. There is a black area between the dash and the screen, clearly a gap. Very noticable.

I also saw the steering wheel with MK driving it as they pull up to the empty shed where the girl is about to steal the 250k from him.

A good one for errors.

Also - and this is for the real Pros here about the Auto Cruise 1: why early in the series when KITT was driving, did the seat look a very odd shape, not like the passenger seat. Yet further on, it looks far more convincing. Was it simply money, and speed of setting up that rather than cutting a genuine seat, they did it with something themselves??
here's my take on the seat change
this is the scene in the pilot we've all seen..
it shows the driver basically is the seat with his head almost hitting the blackout screen anhis shoulders and arms are the side of the seat he's either sitting on the back seat or on the floor infront of the rear seat
here's a scene from season 4 kftf
it shows here that its now more a seat with the centre open at the bottom for the driver to feed his hands through
its here i must confess the producers,directors,editors made errors that they either didnt notice(surely not),or didnt think anyone would care about regarding how kitt drove in autocruise we all know and even back then knew how it was done but by season 4 they didnt seem to care that you could clearly see arms and hands protruding from either of the seats i reffer to the above clip and this one from SOTR from 4
clearly you can see orange arms coming out of the seat and the seat height was to high(hero car seats were lower down DH,s head)
for me as i,ve stated more than once the worst display of autocruise error has to be in KILLER KITT after he smashes MK into the news stand he reverses and well look

what posessed the director to shoot at an angle that clearly shows a pair of hands turning a steering i,ve never worked out i saw that error when i first watched the episode 20 odd years ago and didnt need a freeze frame dvd player
anyway all these errors we find will never distract us from continuing to love this show as i still do
michael;i've got a problem.
devon;my dear boy,dont be so modest,you have a wide range of problems.

hillstones
Volunteer

Post by hillstones » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:40 am

I am surprised no one figured out the obvious mistake. In Knight of the Juggernaut, when KITT is destroyed by the battering ram, the stunt car suddenly becomes a hard-top Trans-Am for the destructions scenes, instead of the T-Top glass panel roof. Probably to show more destruction of the car since the glass panel T-Tops would just shatter without showing a smashed up roof, and also perhaps to protect the stunt man.

Scenes showing the stunt driver driving the car in auto-cruise mode are not mistakes. I assume people here have watched the special features on the DVD in which Jack Gill explains the limitations they had in trying to make the car appear to be driving itself. Originally it was a left-sided drive stunt car, but difficult to do if David also had to get in the car at the same time in a scene. So later, when they had more production money, they made a custom right-handed drive car so David could get in the car in the scene and the stunt driver could continue to drive the car quite easily. They did a pretty good job with technology from 1982. Since they didn't have a budget during season 1, and no guarantee that the show would survive, that is why you see a partial dashboard mounted to the original Pontiac dash. Pontiac gave NBC/Universal one of the first production cars off the line since it was a new body style, so they didn't have much time to make a hero car, and they only had one hero car. During Season 1 at the end credits when the Trans-Am is driving in the desert, it is a stock Trans-Am, most likely because it was shot before they even had the hero car constructed. Limited production issues are not errors.

Although in Season 3 and 4, they should have the right hero car shown in the scenes. As in KITT vs. KARR, they have a season 1/2 stunt car in the final scene, shown by the old-style red plastic buttons instead of the season 3/4 hero car, which was probably not available at that location for filming.
jasper wrote:have nobody noticed that in kitt vs karr, when karr is pulled out of the sand, karr is not two-toned, and furterdown the episode he is????
That is not an error. Since John decided to keep KARR for himself, he decided to paint the car two-toned.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:20 pm

hillstones wrote:That is not an error. Since John decided to keep KARR for himself, he decided to paint the car two-toned.
Actually,Karr asks for the paint job.This video should settle all arguements once and for all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT7LLY74bJ8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition to that I noticed my own blunder in Juggernaught years ago when I viewed the episode.If you'll notice the right front wheel before the commercial break and after the commercial break after Kitt is destroyed,you'll see his hubcaps is on and off.

Before commercial break:

After commercial break:

I'm guessing some kid came along the site where a beat up car was and Michael unconscious from 1 hell of a drunk driving accident and just decided to kick the wheel a bit.

jminn55313
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by jminn55313 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:28 pm

I notice season 1 and 2 when he pressed turbo boost you could here the car getting ready to jump over something. season 3 and 4 it seem like soon as he pressed turbo boost the car jumped pretty much right away. Also the in the very first episode KITTS scanner was on the nose of the car vs where the scanner normal is. season 1 or 2 there was a few times he pressed rocket booster instead of turbo boost to jump something. Also big iorn when kitt and micheal are trapped in the dirt micheal says lets use aprils new tygerto ry system when they used it a few episodes before that when they were almost getting crushed by the car crusher.

maurizio_m
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by maurizio_m » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:23 pm

:shock: