3D Goliath

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

msKEN
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

3D Goliath

Post by msKEN » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:43 am

Hey guys, just wanted to try something different and make some of the other Knight Rider style vehicles in 3D. I am doing a KITT as well but I am too embarrassed to post it here because its very off at the moment. But I thought I would share Goliath, which thus far I am very proud of its progress. (just a note, my models may look low in detail but that is because I am targeting an xbox 360 audience, also once I texture map and add bump mapping, I will bring out a tremendous amount of detail which is missing)

Ok first shot shows me getting the rig ready. I had to do some research to find out what kind of truck Goliath was, from there I hunted down the shop manual and found some good prints to work from along with a bunch of stills from the KR DVD sets. So far its looking pretty much like Optimus Prime from the transformers lol.

So here I have added some Goliath style features. The front grill, and the gas/poison spaying bumper, and I roughed in some other characteristic features of the truck such as the steps.

Here I modeled in the rest of the chassis, gas tanks, rear hitch and axles. Added more detail to the rims and added rear wheels.

At this point I am at 7,000 polygons. My goal is 14000 which is a pretty standard limit for today's video games. I still have the interior and trailer to do plus the running lights, mirrors, and rocket launchers so I have started cutting polys.

So here I decided to cut most of my detail from the bottom of the chassis, because in video games you rarely see the bottom, plus I can make up the detail with a good texture map. The truck is now down to a respectable 4,982 polygons. Perfect for a video game, and I still need to do the trailer.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:59 am

I just got a PM stating that I need to play Davilex's knight rider because that Goliath looked better. Now I am completely open to constructive criticism, in fact I love it because it helps me to make the models more accurate and better. BUT let me remind everyone what Goliath looked like in Davilex's Knight Rider... looks like something from Twisted Metal then Knight Rider to me... maybe I am wrong if so tell me and I will just give up all together lol.

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:58 pm

msKEN, i have one thing to say....

just curious, could you do a version of that truck without the goliath grill and make the cab red, and the frame blue like Optimus Prime kind of like this...

:D
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant

Post by ReddawgKnight » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:50 pm

well i can finally see the GOLIATH pix in this forum msKen...im the member known as Red on your forum hehehe....look man davilex sux,their games suck,so please dont model cars from their games,if at all possible just model what you have seen in the series that is all thank you.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:31 am

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll keep this post updated, pretty much got my kitt model all fixed up the way I want it so I can work on the interior, then I will get back to Goliath.

Dave I'll see what I can do when I get to texture mapping.

ThunderChild
Recruit

Wow

Post by ThunderChild » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:58 pm

Hey! that's some awesome modeling man! What software do you use?
Cant wait to see the final textured and bumpmapped renders! And your KITT!

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:30 pm

Thank you thunderchild your 3D KITT is awesome... mine is not quite that detailed or that far along... I am aiming for a video game audience and have to manage my polygons.

I use 3DS MAX 8. :)

Here is my current KITT, still needs hours and hours of work but is coming along nicely in my eyes. :)

ThunderChild
Recruit

Stunning!

Post by ThunderChild » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:48 pm

Thanx and DITTO!

I love your Kitt's nose! it looks perfect! Good job!

pezze87
Rookie

Post by pezze87 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:40 am

How I would say in italian, Zio Bello, sei un grande (you are great!) ! Go on like this, I hope in the next time i'll see other models! =)
The Knight is back!

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:29 pm

Once I have the mirrors done I will be ready to start texture mapping. :)

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant

Post by ReddawgKnight » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:00 pm

now thats a true Goliath. ;)

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:17 am

Amazing job msKen. I tried using 3DS max once completely escapes me. I can do 2D imaging, but 3D jsut leaves me behind.

Excellent job, and yours looks far better than Davilex's
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:28 am

very good job! :D The rocket launcher and the trailer are the finnishing touches :D
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:13 am

Thanks guys :) I'm going full out yet still and will even have the air hoses for the air brakes that go from the cab to the trailer... still a lot to do yet. I even have the polygons to spare to do the inside of Goliaths trailer. :)

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:04 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry to dig this old topic back up, but I have really started getting back into this after a long brake. I gave up on my old models and started over from scratch.

I posted this over at the registries but want to try and pick the fans brains as well... I'm looking to get some critique on flaws and such that I am missing with this latest model. Any input or references would be great! Keep in mind this is a 3d model and its just the shape, no textures yet. Textures will add in missing details like turn signals and dash electronics.

Flaws that I am aware of at this point:

- knightdriver pointed out that the windshield needs to be recessed more at the top. As it stands it looks like the windshield flows into the top of the frame of the car. I'm looking into that now.

- I missed the side door plastic molding.

- I missed a very important defining body line along the bottom of the entire car.

- I missed the rear ground effect/stone deflector.

- The fog lights need to be recessed deeper into the nose instead of sticking out.

- The fender air vents need a lot of attention

- The lower console needs reworked and is missing the dash support.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:38 pm

Fantastic work! I don't know how some of you guys do it. Since you are looking for constructive criticism, change the exhaust. Your Goliath looks amazing, too, by the way. I'm sure you can do much better texture mapping for Goliath than what the Davilex version has, too.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:57 pm

Thanks. I agree the exhaust needs to be changed. My car has a 3 inch flow master, I think looks better. This exhaust was based off of the stock 82 exhaust with a little bit of style that just ended up looking weird lol.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:55 am

Awesome job on that 3D KITT, it's excellent even as it is now :D
Since requested constructive feedback, I compared it with a photo of real Firebird and noticed few small things. Decided to high-light them on one of your pics & attach the appropriate portion of the real photo because it's difficult for me to explain with plain words:

To me it looks the 3rd gen Firebird/Trans-Am has kind of V or better described < and > shaped sidepanels, even the ERTL diecast model have a bit flat sidepanels IMO.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:31 pm

Thanks KITTfan, but these issues have already been pointed out in my first post when I posted the new pics. :) Good eye though!

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Re: 3D Goliath

Post by msKEN » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:43 pm

Hey guys thought I would update my thread again. Been working on my KITT model some more making the changes I needed. I still have a long way to go before I'm 100% satisfied with the outside but thought I would give everyone a peek at what I have been up to.

Picture One:
You can see I have added in the missing body line, the rear stone deflector, and the plastic side molding. You will notice an odd body line running threw the bottom of the door, but that is just because I haven't finished working that out yet.

Picture Two:
Added in the gas cap lid, and added in defining body lines around the bumper. I know they are too thick at this point, I will thin them out right before I texture map.

Picture Three:
Here you can see my I fixed the fog lights, and added body lines to the hood and headlights. knightracer brought it to my attention that the scanner is too flat and needs that slight bend in the middle where the hood and nose meet the middle of the scanner.

I started working on Goliath a little more too, will post some new pictures shortly.

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:47 am

Wow, MsKEN, those are VERY good. I would hope those designs could eventually be in a videogame I could play on my 360! You are a talented artist, thanks for the awsome posts... :mrgreen:

Mike K
Rookie

Post by Mike K » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:26 pm

WOW - Very Good Indeed !!!

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:56 pm

Nice work Ken, you've yet to disappoint me with your mastery of 3D.

=VK=
:dash:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:09 am

Every time I see one of these updates Ken, the more sad I become about your KR RPG not coming to fruition :cry:
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:01 am

cloudkitt wrote:Every time I see one of these updates Ken, the more sad I become about your KR RPG not coming to fruition :cry:
KR RPG has been a long long process. I have never quite been happy with my skills as a 3d modeller. In the past I relied on people to donate models and such, and that didn't always work out well so now I am just doing everything myself. I may not have been updating the website, but lets just say the KR RPG universe is 80% modeled and ready to go... now I am bringing all the characters and cars to life.

I am painstakingly recreating a fictional universe for KITT and Michael to drive around in, (Think GTA) the above screen shot is the city. It has a day and night cycle, and even a devastation mode where the city is left in ruins should Michael and KITT fail to stop Garth and his evil plans. This is just the city though, you can drive out into the desert, drive to the foundation and so on. Its a pretty big universe and has taken a long long time to build. Each car that will be scene in the game is from the 70's and 80's and at one time or another was seen on Knight Rider. And they are for the most part already complete. While Michael can't just steal cars like a thug in GTA, he can take other vehicles that are parked or not in pedestrian possession. He can even drive an enemies car if they are left unguarded.

sneak peek at the cars of KR:

So what I am getting at is that the KR game is still being made. I just haven't been posting a lot of updates anymore because honestly I didn't think anyone was that interested anymore because it IS taking me a long time. Unfortunately trying to make a video game by yourself is a huge endeavor lol. In this game I plan to get pretty in depth into the history and world of the character. Like in GTA you ran around and collected packages. In my game their will be hidden 3d knight rider merchandise like the board game, the cars by ertl and joyride, the NES video game and so on and so on. You collect these items and it will unlock special things in the Foundation Museum like a 2002 KITT prototype by knightdriver. That's a ways off but I'm getting there. And if anyone is really interested, I am using the Xbox XNA kit to make the game, so it will be playable on PC and Xbox 360.

Anyway guys, I thank you all for the compliments! I still have a lot of work to do to make sure I get these cars right and then I will move on to some other vehicles like the FLAG semi, the Juggernaut, and of course the Drones!