GM reviving the Camaro in 2007?

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

GM reviving the Camaro in 2007?

Post by KFCreator » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:14 pm

I have heard many rumors and seen many concept drawings online that suggest that GM may be bringing the Camaro/F-body back in 2007. The concepts/designs I've been able to find using Google all look, for the most, part similar in basic design and some claim that a few of the designs are VERY close to what the Camaro may look like. There's even a fairly in-depth post on one particular forum from someone who claims to have been affiliated with GM and he/she confirms that work on the new Camaro has been ongoing for about the last 2 to 3 years already (the link is here: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/pr ... ge=2&pp=15).

I was hoping maybe GM would bring back the F-body soon but if true, this is potentially fabulous news for all of us Potiac Firebird/Trans Am fans. Also, the thought crossed my mind that IF the Camaro does make a reappearance in '07 and it does sell well, then Pontiac may debut a new Firebird/Trans Am in as little as a year or 2 afterwards. And, just guessing that even at the earliest, a new Knight Rider movie wouldn't come out until 2007 or 2008, I wonder if they'd end up using the new F-body for a new KITT? What do you guys think? No matter what, I'm excited as hell about the possibility of the F-body coming back in as little as 2 more years! WHOOHOO!
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:56 pm

2007? The KR movie may pop up even before the camaro's re-entry into the market. I certainly hope this is the case, all the original actors from the series are getting quite old (Patty is turning 50).

During the 90's when KR2000 was being made, Pontiac declined to make another KITT based on the newer F-body back then. Universal opted to take the Banshee concept car platform. I won't be surprised if Pontiac declined again but if not, that would be a treat...assuming that their upcoming models would be futuristic enough.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:08 pm

Would it be better to have the movie sooner, or wait until KITT could be a new Trans Am? Tough call!

I am one of those snobs who says that Firebirds and Camaros are not equal... Yes, I know they come from the same mold and everything, I've just always prefered the Firebird line so much more. So for me I wouldn't want to wait an extra year just to make KITT a Camaro if GM wasn't releasing both lines.

I wasn't too impressed with the re-release of the GTO. I'd hate to see a new Trans Am come out looking like a sports sedan. But KITT would sure look great as a big-hooded, take-no-prisoners, gas-guzzling musclecar.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:45 pm

Firebird may be back in 2009 from what I've heard around the internet. However the F-body platform is dead. The new Camaro is supposed to be based off the Zeta platform (Z-body?). The Firebird is supposed to be based on the Eclipse (front wheel drive V-6). Camaro will be the couterpart to the re-designed 07 GTO, not Chevelle as previously suspected. Apparently Bob Lutz was so impressed by the new Mustang, that he thought it was time for Camaro to come back to fight it's old nemesis (he must have forgotten that Camaro would never exist today if GM didn't force Pontiac to include Chevy, the dedicated sports car division, in their plans to release the F-body in the 60s. The mustangs true nemesis is the Firebird). Of course this is all based on the latest conjecture at the moment. I've also heard that Firebird and Camaro will be back (as F-bodies) with a slight re-design of the late model 4th gen body in 07/08 and run that for a few years before rolling into a 5th gen re-design.

You are right Michael, a Camaro is bargain performance while a Firebird is luxuary performance (based purely on base configuration). Aesthetically they may be similar, but as an owner of both at one time, let me tell you they are not the same.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:33 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:Would it be better to have the movie sooner, or wait until KITT could be a new Trans Am? Tough call!
No contest. I would definitely opt for the new movie to arrive sooner than wait an eternity for the future Firebirds. There are lots of cool and futuristic looking cars out there, why should we limit ourselves? Nostalgia is a big thing (since KITT was originally a Firebird) but I'd rather have the movie rolling now and not later.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:33 am

I still think the new car should be a custom one off vehicle like KIFT.

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:13 pm

anyone seen the 2006 Mustangs? mmmm... very beautiful tribute to the 70's body style incorperated into a modern car. i think it would be amazing to see pontiac do something like that to the Firebird. even if it was off the 70's body style it would be awesome. i know WE'd all like them to do one for KITTs 80's body though : )

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:02 am

I only hope they don't do a total retro here, as Ford did with their Mustang- that is definitely the worst looking Mustang ever made! Even DC can make a better-looking car than that! If they wanted to revive the old Mustang, why not just launch a special "History Edition" and leave the current Mustang as it is?

If Pontiac do such a thing, it should stay at 1982 and no further back.

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:58 pm

Arjun wrote:I only hope they don't do a total retro here, as Ford did with their Mustang- that is definitely the worst looking Mustang ever made! Even DC can make a better-looking car than that! If they wanted to revive the old Mustang, why not just launch a special "History Edition" and leave the current Mustang as it is?

If Pontiac do such a thing, it should stay at 1982 and no further back.
right...that mustang is awesome

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:05 am

This may be the new Camaro-
They seem to be copying Ford's "History Edition" Mustang idea.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:09 am

Here's the site discussing the future Camaro.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:19 pm

Arjun wrote:If Pontiac do such a thing, it should stay at 1982 and no further back.
I kinda disagree and agree. I think they should do two styles. The '82 and the late '70s "Bandit". I say that because the "Bandit" T/As were the first ones I fell in love with. :) So owning one would be like a total dream come true. (But alas, I don't make enough to buy a car and I already own a car, no room for another and am keeping my car as I'm restoring it).

I'd still love to see a few Bandits on the road. I've seen quite a few '82+ Firebirds around and even today saw a red one. I still love them too.

If they do a '82 Firebird for instance, I hope they put a KITT nose on it. I know even if they don't they won't be able to keep many in stock if the new movie comes out around the same time and people start making replicas. :)

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:29 pm

My idea from years ago has always been break out the old body molds and offer one distinct version from each generation and sell it as a special edition.

For example offer a 67 (1st gen), 78 (2nd gen), 82 (3rd gen), and a 98 (4th gen), or whatever models GM thinks best represents each generation, these are just my examples, and offer all new electronics and modern engines. Maybe even throw in all that onstar and cup holder stuff for the boomers.

That way you could go to the dealer and literally order a new 3rd gen. The downside is if you liked the late model 3rd gens then all you can get is an 82 look-a-like. Also I imagine cost would be through the roof, maybe 50k plus for each car.

I think this Mustang looks good, but you gotta agree that last 20 years were very uninspired for Mustang. But as long as the buyers are the older people that salivated over the orginal 64s and wanted one real bad back then, the retro craze aint gonna go away anytime soon.

My question has always been when my genration who grew up with Smokey and KR become the boomers and can afford outrageously priced, over hyped sports cars what will retro be? Will be seeing late 70s early 80s retro? That will be interesting to see.

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:42 pm

Lutz said something to the tune "The Firebird's time has come and gone." Pontiac has the GTO.

One can only hope it can come though.

I hope the Firebird does come back cause I always wanted to buy a new Trans Am.

krfan1

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:09 pm

krfan1 wrote:Lutz said something to the tune "The Firebird's time has come and gone." Pontiac has the GTO.
Until it becomes profitable to bring it back. I never have liked the GTO, and this new one ain't exactly winning me over.

I was watching Chip Foose modify some fancy looking Cadilac on Rides last night and saw promise in that car. Can't remember what model it was. It looks like it would make a good KITT.

Other than that, GM has lost their minds. The new Pontiac G6 looks like my Honda. The new GTO has no spirit. Corvette has always been uninspired to me. I hate to say it but Ford looks like the only manufacturer that is keeping tradition with it's sports car line.

So to Bob Lutz, GM's time has come and gone. They're grasping at straws these days. Instead of sticking with the market that made them, they are trying to appeal to a whole new market that isn't interested in imitation import looks at American prices. Stick with what you know, guys. Maybe if they make things right again with that new Camaro, they can win back their old support.

If not my next sportscar may be a new 350Z or Mustang GT.