TV Land to Air Knight Rider episode (#52) on OCTOBER 20!!!

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

kitt_rulz
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

AAAWWWW!!!!

Post by kitt_rulz » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:55 am

I thought KITT should have won!! If not over the Batmobile at least over the crappy general lee!! :( :cry:

I Love KITT!!

:kittspin: :spmgo: :spm: :kittconv2:
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - God Futurama

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:54 am

I was actually pleasantly surprised with KITT's placing. When I look at custom car or famous hollywood car books, the Munster Coach and the Monkeemobile seem to get a lot of attention. Frankly I expected them to place higher, simply because they were so over-the-top.

There's no shame in being beaten by the Batmobile. Batman has been an icon for over 60 years, and the 60s TV Batmobile is truly legendary. As for the General, I'd personally place KITT higher but considering that the Dukes did last a couple more seasons than Knight Rider, I can understand why it placed second.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:34 am

I'm surprised the Green Hornet car was there...I'm glad though as Bruce Lee is an idol of mine and it was a cool car.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:03 pm

I agree with Michael, if there is a car to beat K.I.T.T., then it might as well be the Batmobile. I love the 60s Batmobile as well, plus the Batman character is a household name and unfortunately, although Knight Rider has fans worldwide, it is not as beloved or as well known as the Batman series.

I am upset, however, that the General Lee beat KITT, but these cars were measured by popularity, not their fictional capabilities. I also couldn't believe that the Flintstones car was even on the countdown because it's a cartoon! I thought they were only considering real cars. I was also surprised that the Beverly Hillbillies jalopy was on the countdown too, apparently that's a popular car. I had never seen the old Green Hornet series, but the Black Beauty was definately a cool car.

I also happened to catch the Knight Rider episode "K.I.T.T. Vs. K.A.R.R." which aired after Miami Vice after the countdown. I was surprised the episode was shown completely unedited. I never knew they cut so many scenes from the episode in syndication, it almost felt like watching a director's cut.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

knightrider2004
Operative

Post by knightrider2004 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:37 pm

i stayed up 2 1:00 watching kvk and the tape ran out! also did anyone notice that it wasnt sindicut?
Michael wouldnt one woman be sufficient?

-K.I.T.T., Trust Doesent Rust

lordvader
Rookie

Post by lordvader » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:09 pm

Unfortunately for me, I didn't get to watch the KvK episode because it wasn't aired in my area. I was able to watch the Top Ten show, but not the KR episode that was aired at midnight. Instead, Cheers was shown at 12 and 12:30. Anybody else who had this occur? My region is Pittsburgh, PA with Adelphia cable. I wonder why this would happen.
"I have no eggs. Perhaps you could direct me to a chicken." - KARR

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:57 pm

Well in my area, "K.I.T.T. Vs. K.A.R.R." did air, yet I checked channel 14 which in my area shows what is playing on Cablevision, and the lineup shown on there was Cheers. I just dismissed it as a last minute change in scheduling and figured Cablevision didn't catch up with the update, but like you said that schedule played in other regions. Weird.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:08 pm

Having just watched "K.I.T.T. Vs. K.A.R.R." again, has anyone else noticed that in "Trust Doesn't Rust" that KARR seems pretty dumb and gullible, and in KVK, he's intelligent and manipulative?

Knight Rocker
Recruit

Post by Knight Rocker » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:45 pm

It wasn't completely uncut. I noticed things that I'd never seen before, and I also noticed things that I'd seen on SciFi that I didn't see on TV Land's version. Example: they cut out Michael saying to K.I.T.T "It's quiet...too quiet, and Kitt's response "You're doing every thing you can Michael...."

Fantine
Operative

Post by Fantine » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:34 pm

That is the first time I've seen that one, and I loved it. :)

Felt vaguely sorry for KARR in TDR.
Felt very creeped by KARR in this one.

Does the line "How's the pacemaker Eddie?" creep anyone else out as much as it does me?

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:13 pm

Yeah I noticed that myself. I hadn't seen KITT vs KARR in a VERY long time.

But yeah, in Trust Doesn't Rust KARR is very nieve and simply evil because of his faulty programming, in KvK, he's maniacal and seems generally evil, not just self-preserving.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:42 am

Knight Rocker- You're right. I forgot all about that part, one small part I did notice now that was cut also was Michael sneaking up to the garage on K.A.R.R. and him going "Silence...we have an intruder."

At least TV Land's edit didn't remove big dialogue scenes like the garage scene where KARR requests to have his appearance altered, which if removed, makes anyone who hasn't seen the original airing scratch their head as to why and how KARR suddenly gets repainted.

Knight Rocker
Recruit

Post by Knight Rocker » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:02 am

I agree, I like TV Land's edit better.

oppenca2
Operative

Post by oppenca2 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:09 pm

yea! I taped the specials thanks to whoever let us know it was on! They changed the digital cable lineup the next day, and it was on at midnight. I cant believe 2 cars beat KITT!! Especially Dukes of Hazard!!! Please. :)

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:13 pm

i definitely wouldn't have called KARR naive in the first episode, he knew exactly what he was doing to get what he wanted. he needed those two for certain things and used what i would call THEIR naivety to get them to rely on him without realising they were being used.

liked the way that happened in the follow-up too.

oh, and fantine, the bit that gets me like that is "a pacemaker...!... well, well, well..."

;) :D
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:44 pm

When I say K.A.R.R. was dumb & gullible in "Trust Doesn't Rust," I'm referring to things such as not recognizing obvious slang like the "slammer" (he could have figured this out from the context of the conversation) and the instance where he's trying to figure out the dynamics of a fast food place's speaker. Even Tony and Rev assumed KARR to be a fool by trying to trick him into getting what they wanted. I don't think it was KARR's intelligence that made him necessarily get Tony and Rev to kidnap Bonnie, more like an instinct for survival due to his self-preservation programming, plus the fact that he directly asked them to do it rather than trick them.

In "K.I.T.T. Vs. K.A.R.R.," KARR uses metaphors such as the "genie in the magic lamp" to persuade John to be his driver, ultimately so that he can acquire his necessary parts. He also now seems to be more aware of life situations such as needing to earn decent money, and learns to use John's weaknesses to persuade him into getting his way. He scrambles Eddie's pacemaker to set up a situation where John would need money, as well as using the armored truck as a decoy to lure Michael & K.I.T.T. into a trap. KARR must have learned from TDR the concept of trust more deeply and learned from experience, thus now he became the one to manipulate people to get what he needs. Though technically he did do it in a fair way; he scrambled the ATM for John to get him the $5,000 so that he would go on the "errand."

A true good vs. evil story; KARR can be compared to the Devil on one shoulder as in having the power to get someone anything they need, though in return they need to show their loyalty, just like the idea of selling your soul to acquire things you want in life. KITT can of course be the angel on the other shoulder. :wink:

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:17 pm

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying KARR didn't come on leaps and bounds by the time KvK came along, i much preferred the new KARR he was definitely more evil... even down to his speech pattern.

i just feel like KARR was still manipulating Tony and the Rev in the original story. he knew he needed them but made them feel like they needed him, and it worked on Tony. after all, it was from this original story that michael was able to say from experience in KvK that "amongst other things it has a way of changing people". he was manipulating the first two characters in the original story more than u think, he played to their weaknesses. which in the case of those two was lack of food and money.

i guess if you think about it, KITT was somewhat like a small child waiting to be taught human things in the beginning, and in that way KARR was too, he was just freed and had a lot to learn, but by the time he appeared again he was much wiser.

wouldn't it have been good if he had gotten away? he could have been the reoccurring villian for a while... ;)
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

kitt1
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt1 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:35 am

Did anyone DVD record KITT vs KARR? I need a super clean copy for pulling frame grabs. I'm currently working on an interview with Jeff Osterhage, the actor that played John Stanton in KITT vs KARR. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Mark Puette
mpuette@hotmail.com

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:23 pm

Well now I'm confused... The website had the polls open for at least a week after the show aired, but they just posted the results of the online poll and they are the same as what aired on TV. Which is what I assumed it would be in the first place, but then they made it sound like there were 2 different lists. I dunno.

http://www.tvland.com/topten/cars.jhtml
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

IronEagle1
Stranger

I LIKE THE OLDER KITT CAR

Post by IronEagle1 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:14 pm

MY SELF I LIKE THE OLDER KITT CAR BECAUSE HE IS THE GREATIEST AND I WISHED THAT HE NEVER WENT OFF TV IN THE FIRST PLACE AND I THINK THAT YOU SHOULD PUT KITT ON AT 8:35PM AT NIGHT