micro-jam

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightrider2004
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

micro-jam

Post by knightrider2004 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:41 pm

i have performed a micro-jam in real life! i was using the cordless phone and turned on the microwave and then the phone got all messed up and they couldnt hear me and then wen the microwave shut off it was normal! that truely was KR style and it worked.

:kittspin:
Michael wouldnt one woman be sufficient?

-K.I.T.T., Trust Doesent Rust

midniterider
Recruit

micro jamming

Post by midniterider » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:25 pm

I've been in the field of electronics for over 30 years now, and I've never heard of "micro-jamming" in the real world as it was used in Knight Rider, but jamming obviously does exist. I think in this context, it refers to a tightly directed beam of interference, not unlike the parallel (collated)beam of a laser. Where it's possible to use parabolic dishes (terrestrial and satellite-platformed) to isolate a small point by using peripheral nulling, it would be very hard to focus the footprint of a noise field to a small area. Just my observation. Weather radar uses fan or pencil beams to scan, but this is a scanning function, not a jamming function--two differnet things entirely. My point is this..you can use jamming, but if you do, you will affect others in the nearby area. Perhaps you could loosely use the term "micro-jamming" to mean "pencil-beamed" jamming. But this would only work if you knew the exact frequency in use by the target. There is also saturation jamming, but that is a very inefficient and dirty way to jam and typically takes much more power.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Re: micro-jam

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:09 pm

knightrider2004 wrote:i have performed a micro-jam in real life! i was using the cordless phone and turned on the microwave and then the phone got all messed up and they couldnt hear me and then wen the microwave shut off it was normal! that truely was KR style and it worked.

:kittspin:
Well, the "microwaves" from the MICROWAVE does scramble the reception on the phone.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:29 am

A micro-jam can also be preformed by a cellphone. Just text or call someone on the cell and stand near an ordinary telephone. The phone will pick up the noisy interference signals of the cell (quite annoying really if someone is using the telephone).

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:52 am

I sometimes hear "pops" in my computer or answering machine speaker if my cell phone is too close to either one of them. When I first discovered it, it was going through the answering machine and I couldn't figure out what that was. I thought the answering machine was possessed. :lol:

midniterider
Recruit

saturation

Post by midniterider » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:25 am

yep, the two above cases are "saturation"-type jamming. Simply overwhelming a local area with a lot of power.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:27 am

Annoying nonetheless. :lol: Something I don't tend to practice on a regular bases. ;)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:45 pm

If I'm on the computer and have my cell phone next to it, I know when I'm about to get a call from interference on the speakers. Microwaves scramble household items among other things, imagine their effect on the human brain as a large percentage of the world emits cell phone microwaves directly into their heads every day, including myself. :x
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:10 am

Or sitting in front of a computer monitor. Maybe not as much radiation these days but back in the 80s I would sit for hours, even until sunrise in front of a computer monitor. Also not the greatest thing.

Then there's the famed telephone/electrical wires, appliances, etc. It's everywhere. They won. :twisted: ;)

kitt-x
Rookie

Post by kitt-x » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:03 am

Lost Knight wrote:If I'm on the computer and have my cell phone next to it, I know when I'm about to get a call from interference on the speakers. Microwaves scramble household items among other things, imagine their effect on the human brain as a large percentage of the world emits cell phone microwaves directly into their heads every day, including myself. :x
Quite right, which is why I use a Stealth Radar Shield on my cell phone.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:39 am

kitt-x - Where can I pick up one of those and how much do they go for? I don't feel like developing a brain tumor in 20 years. :?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4: