I want Knight Rider 2000 on VHS/DVD

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

K.I.T.T vs K.A.R.R
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

I want Knight Rider 2000 on VHS/DVD

Post by K.I.T.T vs K.A.R.R » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:55 pm

I really wanna watch Knight Rider 2000 cause I havn't seen it for ages. Does anyone know where I can get it on VHS or DVD? (In the UK) I know you can get it with Knight Rider - Season 1 on DVD, but I'm not forking out best part of £50 for one double-length episode lol.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. They killed Devon. :cry:

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:17 pm

ok yeh ur forking out fifty big ones, but that's for over 18 and a half hours of original knight rider PLUS kr2000 and all the extras, well worth it... especially when u look at all the other universal series released at the same time with no extras whatsoever! i have yet to watch all of kr2000, after watching all of season one in less than a week i started to watch kr2000 and it still just doesn't sit right with me :S so i had to turn it off

but save the money up if you have to, you won't be disappointed :D :D :D
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

finalfadeout
Recruit

Post by finalfadeout » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:50 pm

Yeah, we're lucky it's even available on DVD at all.

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:05 pm

I was surprised by how much lower the video quality of KR2K was compared to the KR season-one episodes in the DVD set. The telefilm looked at least a decade older than the series.

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:07 pm

it looked like it was copied off a taped VHS copy.

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:27 am

it always has been pretty bad quality that film, any time it's been on utv or channel five, even on their digital tv versions it always looks a bit ropey, as if the contrast is far too high.
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

KnightRiderGirl
Rookie

Post by KnightRiderGirl » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:33 am

*sigh* I'm just happy that KR is out on DVD. I still haven't had the money to buy it...stupid college life......

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:43 pm

I was talking about this in another thread. Basically to recap what I was saying, I have the original NBC broadcast of Knight Rider 2000 which actually had better quality in its original airing than it does on the DVD. Of course the quality on the tape I own now is a bit blurry due to age, but I remember seeing the movie in much clearer quality when it first premiered. Years later on the USA Network, Sci-Fi Channel, and on the current season 1 DVD set, the quality had been changed to a more grainy look.

If anyone has watched the MTV Video Music Awards in the past few years, you'd notice that they were always in clear quality up until the last year or two (this year was back to normal) where they gave the show the same grainy cinematic look as on the KR 2000 movie. Maybe the reasons KR 2000's look was altered were the same as for the VMA's, just to give it a different type of look.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:12 pm

Lost Knight wrote: If anyone has watched the MTV Video Music Awards in the past few years,
you'd notice that they were always in clear quality up until the last year
or two (this year was back to normal) where they gave the show the
same grainy cinematic look as on the KR 2000 movie.
AFAIK, that's a process where (usually pre-recorded) television material made using
broadcast standard videotape, is processed in such a way, by removing a couple
of frames of each second gives broadcast video based material a "filmic" look.

A lot of TV dramas made for UK television over the last few years, have been taped
on broadcast standard videotape, but then made to look "filmic" in post production.
Sometimes the end result looks OK, but other times it just looks really awful.

It's gotten to the point where it seems this is a cheaper and quicker production
method than using real film. So much so, it's even been used on a fast growing
number of entertainment shows, where the "filmic" look is really unnecessary,
and in some cases, the end result can look absolutely dreadful, just as it did
when MTV applied it to their broadcasts of the Video Music Awards.

citizen_x
Operative

Post by citizen_x » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:35 pm

Hey guys!
I watched the movie a couple of days ago in a certain channel at the israeli satellite network company called "YES". i could swear that the quality was much better than the one on the DVD. maybe coz our local satellite network is broadcasting in digital?

anyways... it's very strange

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:40 pm

yeh but dvd is digital too.

what about the last season of knight rider? it didn't have as clear a picture as the other seasons but for some reason (i don't know why!!) it felt like it was more adult looking? more gritty?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:44 pm

I don't think so? I have some original airings from season 4 on tape and they all look pretty clear to me, if anything, actually even clearer....it's probably just the networks doing that on syndication, although I have not noticed this. When season 4 eventually comes out on DVD I'm sure it will look as clear & sharp as season 1 or better.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:09 pm

phil, i agree with you. but i think the grittiness was done on purpose since i think the portrayal of the villains were much more nastier and i think it concentrated more on plot since they didn't have much funding for stunts...so i guess they wanted the storylines to be more serious and maybe they used different cinematography to fit in with that.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:56 pm

yeh lee, you're right. it wasn't grainier i guess... just different, season four was (with the exception of a handful of episodes) darker and i think they tried to go with that with new photography.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:07 pm

In other aspects of season four aside from picture quality, yes, it was definately much different. The show did seem darker and I think a bit more mature, concerning acting and storylines. Some say season four is the worst of all the seasons, but I don't agree; I love season four.

Maybe this is because watching a show in its final season(s), the direction, effects, and props are all perfected by that point, for lack of a better word. I also loved the background music and thought the action sequences were more professionally done in season four as well, not to mention SPM. That was probably due to a bigger budget.

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:29 pm

from what i heard, strange as this may seem, but it's been said on here that the budget was CUT! not by a great deal though. can anyone tell me if this is true or not...?

but you're right anyway about the quality of season four, i did enjoy the majority of it. (sky knight and voodoo knight being excpetions ofcourse!)and the scent of roses is just perfect in every way! lol! the direction by hayers, the music, script etc.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:46 am

You're probably right about the budget being cut...I do know that Universal spent some $250,000 on the SPM car though, so I'm not quite sure. That, plus the money to make the Convertible K.I.T.T., and other customized cars for shots make me think that Universal was willing to put more money into the show to keep it alive. But I could be wrong?

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:52 am

i was almost sure they had it cut but you're right they did spend lots on the car at the beginning of the season, so maybe i'm wrong. but i did think turbo boosts and ski stunts etc etc were few and far between in season four. i know this meant they could go back to concentrating on the regular and guest characters instead of what the car could do (a problem with season three for me) but they were quite obvious by their absence.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:01 am

I do know that towards the last few episodes of season four that they tried to cut down costs (filming Hasselhoff driving on a sound stage instead of on location as one example), maybe once producers got the news that the show was being cancelled they tried to save as much money as they could.

hot_knight
Rookie

Post by hot_knight » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:22 am

i disagree with everyone here. My KR2000 dvd is crystal clear to me. I have no complaints.............. BOY ppl ask for something then when they get it they find something to bitch about.go figure

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:49 am

except we didn't ask for kr2000...did we....not saying it isn't a welcome inclusion either.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hot_knight
Rookie

Post by hot_knight » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:06 pm

Skav wrote:except we didn't ask for kr2000...did we....not saying it isn't a welcome inclusion either.
corect you didnt ask forit and i didt either but this topic was someone asking for it.

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:02 pm

Lost Knight wrote:I do know that towards the last few episodes of season four that they tried to cut down costs (filming Hasselhoff driving on a sound stage instead of on location as one example), maybe once producers got the news that the show was being cancelled they tried to save as much money as they could.
i think the money for those last few went into scent of roses. it's been discussed here before how,when they found out kr was being cancelled, the writers etc wanted to give the show a final episode and david wanted to bring back stevie. but it was apparently moved forward in the schedule by universal to coincide with sweeps to try to bring in a bigger audience for a possible fifth year. unfortunately the episode has remained in this position in subsequent airings. big iron was moved too at the last minute.