I'm new

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Girl
Operative

I'm new

Post by Knight Girl » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:04 am

HI, I'm new to the board. I have loved Knight Rider since I was twelve(yep, I'm getting old now.LOL) I would love to find a transam to make into a kitt or find a Kitt replica for sale. Generally how much invested in making a replica? I already have a Herbie but that was easy to make. I hope to get some great info here. :D

Knight Girl

hot_knight
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by hot_knight » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:28 am

you can buy a complete kitt for $40,000-45,000

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:04 pm

Hey Knight Girl! Welcome Welcome!

As Hot_Knight mentioned, you can get a replica for 40-50k, but thats a turn key operation, and I'm guessing you want to make one from scratch. Prices tend to vary, it depends of course on how much you get the donor car for, and what parts your able to find cheaply (junkyards). It also depends on the level of detail you want your car to have. Do you want the exterior to only be exact or the interior as well? I would say 20-30 is more realistic, but having never built one myself I don't know first hand. Some of our members that do have replicas may be better to help you with a exact quote.

A number of companies work in making fiberglass parts for replicas. Some are adiautotech.com, markscustomkits.com, roblouisell.com. Some of those sites also do the electronics, but there are also companies that also specialize in the electronics, or the scanner.

You might want to check out some sites dedicated to the Replicas, a few are, knightregistries.com, knightsofengland.fsnet.co.uk, knightreplicas.com, and knightfoundation.net.

Best of luck with which ever route you decided to pursue. Do you have any picks of your herbie?

Knight Girl
Operative

I'm new

Post by Knight Girl » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:38 pm

Thanks for your reply. I saw two replicas on e-bay and one is buy me know for $12,000 which sounds pretty good if most go for $30,000 . Also, I heard Kitts are not street legal because of their steering wheel and scanner and the car won't pass inspection. That isn't fun especially if you want to drive it. This won't be a daily driver of course.I'm a mom of two little boys so I drive a van but it would be fun to take it on weekends and pick my sons up from school in it. I use Herbie for going to the store,Vw shows and parades. Truthfully, I have no idea how to store a car into Kitt. Everytime something goes wrong with Herbie,I just take him to the shop.Luciky bugs seem to run forever and are easy to maintain. Put oil in him every 3,000 miles and he is good to go.

Has anyone tried replicating Kitt with a different kind of car say like a Probe?

Knight Girl,Becky

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:45 pm

Legality all depends on where you live and the law of that state/province/country, wherever you are. I live in PA in the US, and though I don't have a replica, I know that they're perfectly legal here.

Oh yeah, welcome :wink:
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Re: I'm new

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:17 pm

Knight Girl wrote:Also, I heard Kitts are not street legal because of their steering wheel and scanner and the car won't pass inspection.

Has anyone tried replicating Kitt with a different kind of car say like a Probe?
Over here where I live (in Asia), its not illegal to drive around a KITT replica, even with the gullwing steering wheel. However, I would advice against using it in normal driving. The gullwing wheel was designed to be used in planes where the pilot doesn't have to turn the wheel as much as we do in a car. The plane only "banks" left and right. But in an automobile, we have to turn it all the way around several times. This maneuver is relatively easy to do with an ordinary circular wheel, wherein a gullwing will provide the driver with difficulties.

Regarding the Ford Probe, I don't think its a good idea to make a KITT replica out of it (or if its possible). Only a 3rd generation Trans Am (1982-1992 model year) will provide the most accurate fit and finish for a true conversion. They don't cost much nowadays, so if I were you, I'd go for the real thing :wink:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:20 pm

Or a 3rd generation Camaro. The 80s Corvettes have similar body styles as well, but after these cars, I don't think people should put too much effort into trying to make replicas of other cars such as the Probe.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:32 pm

Welcome to the forum Knight Girl. Hope you have a lot of fun posting here. This forum can be quite useful for finding out info on replicas as well as other topics relating to Knight Rider. As far as I can tell - a good Knight Two Thousand replica - depending upon what you want in it will range from 15 - 25 thousand dollars. And that is depending upon if the car is in good shape before you even start the work. Otherwise - you WILL be looking at alot more money. The reason why I say it is so much is due to the fact that you may not want to do the work on it yourself. But if you do - you will definitly save yourself alot of money - providing that you actually know what you are doing. :wink:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:58 pm

Lost Knight wrote:Or a 3rd generation Camaro. The 80s Corvettes have similar body styles as well
On a Camaro, a lot of work will have to be done on the rear end in order to accomodate the right KITT tail light assemblies.

A Corvette on the other hand won't make a good donor car. The B-pillar supporting the rear windshield is not in the same shape as a Camaro or Trans Am. And the KITT custom nose that will ordinarily attach easily on a Trans Am will in no way attach properly on a Corvette. A lot of modifications will be needed first.

hot_knight
Rookie

Post by hot_knight » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:13 am

hot_knight wrote:you can buy a complete kitt for $40,000-45,000
I believe i read on markscustomkits.com that if you supply the car to be converted its $40,000 if you want them to find a car and do everything it $45,000 which i say you mine as well do that if oyur already paying that much for it.

Knight Girl
Operative

Kitt Replica

Post by Knight Girl » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:24 am

Thanks for all the welcomes. This seems like a very nice group to chat with.

Yestersay I went to see a 87 Pontiac transam for sale in a field. I got stung by a wasp and ended up in the ER. I guess I'm not buying that one. LOL Costly just to go see it :(

Knight Girl

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:55 am

Stung by a wasp huh? Must have been an unlucky day, but I hope you're all right now.

If you're looking for a late model 3rd generation Trans Am, make sure it has the t-tops and the front fender vents behind the front wheels. These are very hard to come by, and if you are aiming for accuracy for your conversion, this is a must. The bowling ball hub caps/wheels are also somewhat hard to find. All in all, you would probably do well with a 1982 to 1984 model year Trans Am.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:57 pm

I know Camaros and Corvettes would be a pain in the neck to convert, I just mentioned them because I think they are the most similar looking cars to the Trans Am. But to state the obvious again, you shouldn't try to make a replica out of any car other than a Trans Am.

On a side note, I've seen a 4th generation Trans Ams with a scanner slapped on it, which was curved to accomodate the nose better. Looked kinda cool. I would add a few Knight Rider inspired things on a different car, like that 4th gen T/A, but that's about it.

Knight Girl
Operative

Found a 92 Firebird

Post by Knight Girl » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:11 pm

I found a 92 Firebird I think will look like a neat Kitt. They want $2,000 for it. I don't know if that is a good price or not because I'm use to VW bugs. If someone here can post a pic for me, I will send them the pics. I didn't buy it yet because I don't know yet if it will make a good replica.

becky

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:07 pm

My mother told me that her friend's friend's grandson was selling a '91 red Trans Am for $10,000 but with only 4,000 miles on it. I passed on the offer though. If I'm going to spend $10,000 on a car, it's going to be newer or leased.

Knight Girl
Operative

92 Firebird

Post by Knight Girl » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:10 pm

This one didn't have t-tops. I might just wait until I find one with t-tops but it was a good price for a running firebired.

Becky

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Re: 92 Firebird

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:06 am

Knight Girl wrote:This one didn't have t-tops. I might just wait until I find one with t-tops but it was a good price for a running firebired.
A donor car should have the t-tops, it is one of KITT's best options. And its not easy to install in a hardtop Firebird, lots of money involved for a t-top conversion. You can always install the correct wheels and fenders (with the vents) later, but you can't install a t-top easily.

Goldwings
Rookie

Post by Goldwings » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:21 pm

Welcome to the fray! :D

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:28 pm

hi knight girl, welcome to the forum. i've only returned here myself after a lllooonnnggg being internet-less, so as we say over here in belfast "bout ye?" lol. (it means hi how are you?)

how about a piccie of your herbie bug? :)
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

Knight Girl
Operative

I'm new

Post by Knight Girl » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:05 pm

Herbie pics are under the topic "who has a replica"

Becky

82TransAm
Recruit

Post by 82TransAm » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:36 pm

Welcome to the board :)