Turbo Boosting Obsolete in the 21st Century???

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Turbo Boosting Obsolete in the 21st Century???

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:46 pm

When Knight Rider first aired in the early 80's, it was literally brimming with electronic brilliance and technological wonder. KITT's most astonishing trait back then was his AI and ability to "jump" through the air. Back in those days, it was fantastic to see a car talk to people and leave the ground unaided and soar through the air, even if it is just temporary.

Now, we are in the 21st century. People expect to be dazzled by brighter and newer ideas. Here is just my thoughts on how to make the next Knight Rider movie. Also my thoughts on how automobiles will evolve in the future.

If technology and science will permit (and I think it will), it's possible that full-levitation of the automobile will far surpass the turbo-boost as a viable solution to all obstacles. Think about it...just like the DeLorean in Back To The Future 2. Pretty soon, somebody is going to invent a gravity defying device and install it in automobiles. This will definitely be more electrifying than leaving the ground temporarily as in turbo-boosting. We might as well rename the automobile as the "aeromobile". No more worrying where to make a harsh landing, it will just glide slowly back to earth. No more worries during take-offs too, no more long runways needed. Of course, a smart AI should still be included in order to assist the driver, preferably one as witty and charming as KITT.

Just my two cents worth on how I envision the future and the next KR movie. Turbo-boosting in the 21st century is quite frankly, OBSOLETE! In the next Knight Rider installment, I envision KITT to actually fly!! Now wouldn't this scenario be sweet? :wink:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:12 am

Reminds me of the Jetsons. :) I think if we had that, we'd need an air traffic controller to untangle the mess. :lol:

I'd take the AI though...

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:53 am

Actually, I think the term that KITT used was "Sustained Flight", from when Michael and him were discussing the traffic and being late to meet Devon. Michael also joked about it at the ending of the situation ("It's not exactly a sustained flight... But I'll take it!") as heard in "The Wrong Crowd".

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:47 pm

Even if we were to have a technological breakthrough, I don't think flying cars will ever replace the good old-fashioned automobile.

For one thing, there is the safety/liability issue. If your engine dies on the freeeway, you coast safely to a stop. If your levitation device dies in an aircar, YOU die. There's also a huge traffic management issue: how do you control millions of airborn vehicles at one time? You can't just have a big free-for-all, you would have constant gridlock (airlock?). And it just doesn't seem practical to develop a 3D system of airways to handle the traffic.

What I believe will be more likely is that levitating buses and trains will be developed as part of a public transportation.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:15 pm

They have levitating trains now, Michael. I remember they were levitated by some kind of electromagnetic current. Don't know if they are in use yet or still under experimentation. I think it was Japanese or something.

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:27 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:They have levitating trains now, Michael. I remember they were levitated by some kind of electromagnetic current. Don't know if they are in use yet or still under experimentation. I think it was Japanese or something.
The way they do that is with tracks that are electromagnets. a current goes through them and that makes it so that the train "floats" on the track.As well as the fact that the propulsion system is electromagnet which allows the train to speed up faster then with any other type of engine. The only way that this could happen with cars and trucks is if the government were to spend billions on the hiways and even then it still hjas to go through research and development with again would cost billions. To the government it just isn't worth it. But for trains in Japan it is worth it because it is just done with tracks instead of pavment.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:55 pm

Meh, you can have your flying cars, I still want KITT
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:59 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:They have levitating trains now, Michael. I remember they were levitated by some kind of electromagnetic current.
Yes, they have trains that can levitate an inch or so above a track. But I think the technology HondaSir is describing would would have a car (or train) floating hundreds of feet above the ground. That would be an entirely new technology.

CSPilot1977
Stranger

Post by CSPilot1977 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:38 pm

I think if you all got your Private Pilots License this would not be a problem.

Pilots today fly in 3D Highways in the sky so The idea of replicating that for flying cars would not be that hard. We could take our current road map and duplicate it in levels above us. Just no to high to mess with us boys that fly the real stuff in the sky.

Just some thoughts

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:45 pm

The airways in the sky work because there are only a few dozen or a hundred planes over a city at any one time. We're talking about literally a MILLION flying objects at one time above the houses in Los Angeles. That's why I think that if/when the flying car becomes a reality, it will be limited to public transportation or the wealthy.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:02 am

The "aeromobile" will not replace the old fashioned automobile. It will complement it. Sooner or later, when all our highways are filled up with buildings and more roads, air travel will be the only solution. We can designate high population areas (like cities) as no fly zones (aerocars resume normal land travel here). Whereas we can designate wide open areas in between city states as fly zones. There could be virtual highways up in the sky with floating hash marks as our guide. Mid-air collisions can be avoided by making new rules on aircar travel. Collisions made in intersections can be minimized because traffic in one direction can have a different altitude than the opposite direction of traffic. Exit ramps can be installed for air-cars that need to refuel or just exit the "mile-high" freeway. Planes can still resume travel but at a much higher altitude than aircars (sub-orbital supersonic flights). It's all possible, and I think....inevitable.

As for the safety of the occupants in case the anti-gravity device fails in the aircar, a backup unit should be installed in all aeromobiles. Smart AI's can assist the driver in such situations, probably warning the occupants of the problem in advance before the aircar malfunctions, enabling the driver to land his vehicle safely. Such devices can be invented. This is technology at its finest!

When the automobile was introduced to the public more than a century ago, it was a landmark moment. True, it was only affordable by the rich at the time, but later, Henry Ford changed that and introduced the assembly line, making the automobile very affordable to the masses. And today, almost every household has one. Much has changed indeed. I am convinced that eventually, an affordable flying car can be achieved.

As for the Knight Rider movie...we can designate KITT as the prototype aircar. As a prototype, KITT may have problems regarding his flying range...or something like that so that KITT may not sound "invulnerable". It should make for a good idea in plot development.

KITT pioneered the jumping through the air scenario in the 80's. Now lets give him the ability to really FLY, albeit not in a permanent manner (he should have weaknesses).

Think about it guys...if we're gonna dream the future, then let our dreams be big! For all the sacrifices he's done for Michael and us in the past, KITT deserves the upgrade anyway, don't you think? :)

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:45 pm

KITT, the Hovermobile. Seriously, he'd still be near the ground, turbo boost's landing wouldn't be so rough and they'd never need to worry about changing his tire.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:24 pm

Michael, you're right - the trains only hover an inch or so. I am not sure if that technology could be even expanded on. It'd have to take LOTS of power and like RJ mentioned, lots of $$. :( I think I'm also in agreement that we would have problems with so many flying vehicles. Heck, people can't even DRIVE well in some cases, imagine what it'd be like flying! :lol:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:50 pm

I just can't get on board with a flying KITT in the movie, even if it was just for short distances. I feel like it would come across as a gimmick. KITT doesn't need to fly to be cool or even state-of-the-art. Cars still can't talk, cars still can't drive themselves, cars still can't turbo boost. It will be enough of a schock seeing KITT in a new body, I'm not sure how much more change I'll be able to take.

CSPilot1977
Stranger

Post by CSPilot1977 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:11 pm

I think the idea of having every car in the world flying is not as difficult as you think. Think about how much more space there is in the sky. We all concentrate how crowded the roadways are based on our current system. Imagine takeing the current system of roads and adding over 30 layers of traffic above it. Every vehicle would be so far spaced out compared to todays standards. Today we tailgate cars, run over curbs, dodge pedestrians, avoid accidents and so many of those other hassels that we have to deal with. All of those problems would be something of the past. I think designing a highway system is simple. You dont have to put floating signs in the sky or traffic light either. All that stuff would be digital ehnanced on your windshield in your aerocar. Its complicated but simpliar then we all think. Airplanes today can enhance there heads up display to show a runway in front of them that they cant see for miles and miles away due to bad weather. The technology is there it just needs to be advanced. I belive in the next 20 years we will see seriuos steps towards flight as a serious mode of transportation.

Comments anyone?

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:02 am

Michael Pajaro wrote: I feel like it would come across as a gimmick. KITT doesn't need to fly to be cool or even state-of-the-art.
But its because of those gimmicks that made KITT and Knight Rider successful during the 80's! If KITT didn't talk, didn't turbo-boost, wasn't bullet-proof...would Knight Rider been a success? Most of the appeal of the show came from the "coolness" of these technologies.

Part of the failure of the reunion movie (aside from the script) was not providing enough "technical brilliance" to the car. Lots of members here in the site missed KITT's ability to turbo-boost. He only had the ability to float on water, for heaven's sake! The original series already had an episode where Bonnie installed water wings in order for KITT to traverse the ocean.

So...for the movie to succeed, it must have a brilliant script mixed with added features for the car. This is a MUST. And for me, what better way to add to KITT's ability than to fly. KITT has already conquered land, the sea...what's left? I doubt it if they're going to make KITT a submarine, its already been done in a James Bond movie.