Knight Rider: Season 1 SNAFUs

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KnightCrusader99
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider: Season 1 SNAFUs

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:23 am

I know this may have been covered already, but with the DVD's out of Season 1 I can start seeing more things messed up on the show because of the clarity that the DVD video can provide.

Yes I know that the show is awesome and the mess ups on Season 1 adds to it's overall character, but I have been making a game of trying to go back and watch the first season again and finding things to put on here that fall under SNAFUs. Now that I learned my DVD software will capture frames of the DVD I can post pictures of what I am talking about.

I was hoping maybe the KRO community will post anything on here that they have noticed fouled up since acquiring the DVDs.

The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is that I have noticed that KITT's lower dash shorts out or blinks during the theme, it drives me nuts too. I didn't notice this until I got the DVD's.

Another thing I found, I don't know what it is, is from a Fade out at the very end of Hearts of Stone. I think the camera picked up some of the behind the camera stuff, like an ambulence and a police car, with a police man in the road blocking traffic during the filming of the race. You can also see a car stopped on the other side of the road if you go a few frames farther. It caught my attention and I had to go back and get a still of it.

What do you all think it is? Any one else got anything they noticed?

-Steve

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:43 pm

That's a nice pic that you captured there KnightCrusader99. I'm sure the ambulance and the police car image is not a part of the show.

I also noticed KITT's front bumper, it sort of looks different. It's not the extended custom nose that we are all accustomed to seeing. Looks like a stock front bumper to me.

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:25 pm

I have to ask... what is the deal with the KITT version that looks like the hood is open. Is that the stunt car or something?

hot_knight
Rookie

Post by hot_knight » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:48 pm

Well hey all i can say is this is over a dozen differnt topics now in the last few weeks about nitpicks and errors.

YET WE ARE TOLD WE DONT NEED A SECTION FOR THEM AND THAT NO ONE WANTS IT.

(ROLL EYES)

CANT ANYONE TAKE CLUES THAT PEOPLE WANT IT

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:49 pm

That's the car with the protective rubber skin. It was a normal (K.I.T.T.) Trans Am with another, rubber Trans Am body fitted around it to protect the car underneath. They'd normally use it in any scene that required a bullet to spark off the body, or another car to bump into K.I.T.T. Because of the rubber shell, the bodywork underneath would remain pristine.

- Paul
- Knight Rider Archive
- http://members.fortunecity.com/knightriders/

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:59 pm

Thanks Archive!

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:29 pm

Yeah you can see the different things on the car at the near end of the epsiodes Knight Of The Phoenix when michael stops and looks ahead and then kitt prefered michael to use the turbo boost to go over the big comtron truck.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:18 pm

HondaSiR wrote: I also noticed KITT's front bumper, it sort of looks different. It's not the extended custom nose that we are all accustomed to seeing. Looks like a stock front bumper to me.
I've noticed that too in a few of the scenes in several of the episodes. That is a stock bumper for the '82 T/As. I think they like had only one hero car which had the custom nose and then the other cars were like stunt cars or something, dunno...

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:53 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:
HondaSiR wrote: I also noticed KITT's front bumper, it sort of looks different. It's not the extended custom nose that we are all accustomed to seeing. Looks like a stock front bumper to me.
I've noticed that too in a few of the scenes in several of the episodes. That is a stock bumper for the '82 T/As. I think they like had only one hero car which had the custom nose and then the other cars were like stunt cars or something, dunno...

It was a modified stock Trans AM nose. Yeah they had different cars such as the computer car the stunt car and cars of all sorts. Tika, did you watch the special features on the dvd?
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:58 pm

That nose you guys are talking about is from the first shot scenes of the pilot, "Knight Of the Phoenix." The makers of the car were under deadline to get it completed, and that nose was the first model they made. After the show was officially bought by NBC, they had a chance to remake the nose to the traditional one, but they were not able to go back and refilm those scenes with the prototype nose. When you see that nose in other episodes, like at the desert road scene, it is reused footage.

As for the hood popping up, I've noticed that too in a lot of episodes. Very annoying to see! K.I.T.T. looks so much crappier when his hood pops up. My friend Paul used to have a 1989 Trans Am and had a similar problem with the hood, so he had those plastic wires connected to the hood to hold it down (don't know what they're called). I'm sure it's also a combination of how they man-handled the stunt cars with the sharp turns and the remote controlled detonated sparks on the stunt cars to simulate bullets bouncing off.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:49 pm

[quote]"The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is that I have noticed that KITT's lower dash shorts out or blinks during the theme, it drives me nuts too. I didn't notice this until I got the DVD's."

I always took the flashing as a gimmick to make the car look more high-tech for the opening credit sequence, as in showing off various functions simultaneously. That technique is used in the beginning of some episodes, where there are shots of individual parts of K.I.T.T.'s dash functioning and blinking. In the opening sequence for seasons one & two, you can pause the wide angle shot of K.I.T.T.'s dash and see that his voice modulator is whitish-purple and says "Knight 2000" as well as no Knight's head logo on the steering wheel. Evidently that was an early version of the dashboard, like there was an early version of the front nose.

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:26 pm

You know some of this stuff sorta nagged me at first but deep down I think this is why I like Knight Rider so much. haha :D

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:18 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:It was a modified stock Trans AM nose. Yeah they had different cars such as the computer car the stunt car and cars of all sorts. Tika, did you watch the special features on the dvd?
Sorry to be off-topic, but who's Tika?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:10 pm

I just noticed something else on the picture. Besides having the stock nose, the car doesn't even have the red scanner! And the dashboard isn't even the customized one, its the stock Trans Am version. No doubt about it folks, it's a plain vanilla Firebird up there in that pic. Not that I mind that much.

Oh, and Tika? That's probably FuzzyDice. Tika's not a part of the series, she's not that old, I think. :)
Last edited by HondaSiR on Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:04 am

HondaSiR wrote:Oh, and Tika? That's probably FuzzyDice. Tika's not a part of the series, she's not that old, I think. :)
ROTFLMAO! Thank you! :lol: I'm old enough to have been a kid when the pilot came out though. ;) But yeah, it's me. My real name is mentioned on my web site Knight Dreams (click the web icon below my post).
TurbomanKnight wrote: Tika, did you watch the special features on the dvd?
Yup. I saw all of the DVDs in the set already. :) Fascinating stuff. Probably I'll have to rewatch stuff a few times before I can remember specific details. I know I thoroughly enjoyed the episodes though.

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:16 am

Here is another thing I found when I was watching The Final Verdict. The Camera was too far over and you could see part of the set on the right.

The white object is a script or something, because when you watch the video it moves like someone is holding on to it.

Finding thiese mess ups are starting to be a fun pastime for me. LOL

-Steve

hot_knight
Rookie

Post by hot_knight » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:29 am

KnightCrusader99 wrote:
The white object is a script or something, because when you watch the video it moves like someone is holding on to it.

Finding thiese mess ups are starting to be a fun pastime for me. LOL

-Steve
Steve let's keep that between you and me. Whatever you do DONT tell teh board ops because it would crush them emotionally. The very thought of a fan wanting to list nitpicks and mistakes in an organized manner makes them cringe.

(rolls Eyes AGAIN)

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:49 am

Here is another thing I found when I was watching The Final Verdict. The Camera was too far over and you could see part of the set on the right.
Oh, look at that the camera shot a little too far to the right - funny. Sorry, was too busy looking at Bonnie to notice! :wink:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:29 pm

Like I've said before, Knight Rider has some of the worst editing of all time, yet I still love it. As a kid I would never notice these things in a million years, but now that we're all older, it's more fun to find this stuff. I thought a lot of shots were cropped on the DVD set to remove things such as microphones, etc.? Looks like they missed a few things. Great find!

hot_knight
Rookie

Post by hot_knight » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:07 pm

I personally dont think they cropped anything myself.

But also HOW DARE YOU SAY FINDING NITPICKS/MISTAKES/NO REASONS is fun. Some ppl around here wont have any part of that idea

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:50 pm

Oh boy :lol: . Hey, I tried to help the situation by making a Nitpicks topic which became completely useless lol.

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:26 pm

Like I've said before, Knight Rider has some of the worst editing of all time
Hey... you wanna see bad editing?

Look no further than the Spider-Man live action series from the 70's. I've got em all on Rhino home video. But I love it! Good ol' Nicholas Hammond!