KOTP (Pilot): Cut out scene from DVD??

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

KOTP (Pilot): Cut out scene from DVD??

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:39 pm

I haven't seen Knight Rider since it stopped airing and tonight I was watching the pilot on the Season 1 DVD set. I noticed that near the end, KITT takes Michael right to the hospital. Then the scene with him and Maggie as he's being discharged from the hospital, then we see Micheal and Devon in KITT being towed. Now, on the Knight Rider Archive I read the script to KOTP and it had a bit in there where KITT had smoke coming out from under his hood and Michael asked what was wrong and KITT replied "Acute Exhaustion". This was not in the DVD version of the Pilot and I am not sure if it was in the originally aired version either (in the US). I forgot.

Can anyone tell me if that scene was actually in there or cut? It just would have made sense to have it in there so that people would have known KITT needed towing.

I just found it rather odd...

I got the DVD set today and I LOVE it! :) It was a long time and I just love hearing and seeing KITT again. :)
Last edited by FuzzieDice on Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:38 pm

That scene is unfortunately lost to the Universal Film Vaults, and never made into the pilot episode in any form...

The episodes on the DVDs are the uncut/full-length editions.

For those who are interested, when the site (Knight Rider Archive) goes back up, there are plenty more scripts to come (and plenty more cut scenes to discover)!

- Paul
- Knight Rider Archive
- http://members.fortunecity.com/knightriders/

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:03 pm

Will there we more pictures next to the epsiode or no.If not are you going to add what the uncut senses to the epsiodes are so we can read them? :D I really do like your site.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:23 pm

Great Paul! Thanks! :) Good luck getting the site back up. I enjoyed the site when you had it up before.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:41 pm

I could have sworn I remembered a scene toward the end of the pilot where the guy that shot Muntzy (can't remember his name) is at Comtron sending out a message to all the truckers to be on the lookout for a black Trans Am. I don't remember seeing this part in the DVD, was this cut out? I haven't really paid attention to look for that part the last time I watched it, so either my memory is playing tricks on me or it's there but I overlooked it. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:51 pm

I think it was actually in there. I remember seeing it. I'd have to go back and look though but I'm too lazy tonight to get the DVD out and go search for it. :) Maybe someone else could verify?

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:57 pm

Lost Knight wrote:Comtron sending out a message to all the truckers to be on the lookout for a black Trans Am.
I remember this scene when I watched the pilot episode back in the early 80's. I don't have the DVD set yet (my Philips DVD player only plays region 2,3 and 4) so I cannot verify this. But in case it isn't in there, then the new box set is a rip off! I hope this is not true, sooner or later I plan to buy the box set if it comes out in region 2. Or perhaps I will take my DVD player to the repair shop and ask them to enable my player to play region 1 disks. This is possible although there is a hefty fee, around $20 to $30 I think. I'm still thinking about it.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:06 am

I just looked at the DVD. Yes, the guy was talking to truckers offering money for anyone who hits the "Trans Am" head-on, even upping the stakes when one trucker mentioned it's not worth it if they are dead from the impact and the guy tells them to jump clear. :) It's also where K.I.T.T. is shocked that Michael opted to jump THROUGH the semi and when he reports back the guy says "Have you been drinking?" and the driver said "No, but I plan on it!" LOL!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:23 am

I'm not sure you're talking about the same guy. There's the guy that shot Muntzy in the beginning, then there's the guy that ups the price of the reward in the helicopter and also shoots K.I.T.T. with the shotgun, sorry I can't remember either of their names. Both men make announcements to the truckers to be on the lookout for the black Trans Am, but I meant the guy that shot Muntzy. I didn't recall seeing the scene with the guy that shot Muntzy making his announcement. But if that small scene is in there, it would be around that part of the episode. It may actually be in there, but if you couldn't tell, my memory sucks :lol:. [/i]

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:50 am

Hey, I was also wondering why they were towing KITT at the end of that episode. It's very odd. You see him taking Michael to the hospital and everything was fine with KITT, and in a next scene you see the car being towed ... it didn't make sense.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:27 am

Hey Paul,

Do you have any confirmation that it was ever filmed? Alot of times they don't shoot things in the script due to time constraints or over budget, when its not necessary to the plot as a whole.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:18 pm

There is no confirmation that the scene was filmed (that won't happen unless I can get hold of call sheets or a shooting schedule), but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't have been filmed. The scene survived until the 9th draft of the script, which was used in production (after the presentation material was shot), so I like to think it exists and is lying in one of the film vaults somewhere!

- Paul
- Knight Rider Archive
- http://members.fortunecity.com/knightriders/

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:40 pm

I remember seeing in syndication (years ago) that Gray (rewatched it to get his name) makes the announcement at Comtron to be on the lookout for the black Trans Am, and you can see the word Comtron on the wall behind him. I looked for it on the DVD again and it's not there. I remember that actor, Lance LeGault, who played Gray having that extra line. Of course the next time that episode rolls around on syndication, it will no doubt be even more cut short and edited.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:51 pm

Lost Knight wrote:I remember seeing in syndication (years ago) that Gray (rewatched it to get his name) makes the announcement at Comtron to be on the lookout for the black Trans Am, and you can see the word Comtron on the wall behind him. I looked for it on the DVD again and it's not there
Darn it! Then we are all being short-changed here! Why didn't they just include all the footages, there are no commercial breaks in the DVD set. I doubt it if they are conserving CD space...this is just outrageous!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:47 pm

Yeah, that IS odd. I thought the DVDs had the full uncut versions of the shows. :?