Try to guess K.I.T.T.'s mileage?

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Try to guess K.I.T.T.'s mileage?

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:27 am

I don't know why but I was thinking about this today. I wonder what K.I.T.T.'s mileage would be by now. I bet it'd be pretty high, considering he could go very far in a very short time in SPM mode and he was in service for about 4 years. I would guess something like 300,000 miles? Or is that sounding a bit high?

whet
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by whet » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:28 pm

No I think you could be about right!

Micheal though nothing of driving hundred's of mile's in the desert, as seen in many occcasion's.

I wonder how much the fuel bill came to?? :lol:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:03 pm

I don't think I want to know. :shock: :lol:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:24 pm

Well according to Knight Rider 2000, Michael quit the foundation in 1990, so he and K.I.T.T.'s adventures continued for a total of at least 8 years. So maybe it was 600,000 miles? If K.I.T.T. didn't run on hydrogen fuel, I'm sure F.L.A.G.'s funding would have been able to cover the costs of regular gas. :lol:
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:15 pm

If I remember right, KITT ran on Jet Fuel (the stuff airplanes use) because he had a turbine engine. :)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:50 pm

In "Give Me Liberty...Or Give Me Death," Bonnie converts K.I.T.T.'s fuel system to liquid hydrogen for the race, and the car runs on that instead of regular gasoline from then on. :D

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:30 am

If memory serves me correctly, during one of the episodes where Michael stopped to get some gas in a rural area, KITT mentioned that he can take just about any kind of fuel (probably gas, diesel, kerosene, LPG...etc.) I forgot the episode though. It's probably the one where the gas station attendant (an old man) was trying to puncture one of KITT's tires.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:44 am

That would be nice... :)

As for the tires, anyone know if those are MBS covered too? Man, I sure wish I had a set of those ! :)

Today when driving to the store I nearly ran over a ton of glass. Caught it in time and took a different route. I have new front tires so you know why I'm careful. :shock:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:31 am

FuzzieDice wrote:As for the tires, anyone know if those are MBS covered too?
It's probably not covered with the MBS, although it is puncture resistant. The only time that one of KITT's tires blew out was when it was hit by a laser beam or bazooka (again, I forgot which episode).

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:43 pm

Right, the MBS is only on K.I.T.T.'s outer shell, his interior seats are not protected by the shell and can be punctured, however. I think the episode was "K.I.T.T.Nap" where that happened. What's kind of funny is that a laser beam can blow a tire, yet K.I.T.T. can drive through lava in a fourth season episode and not melt his tires hmm... That's 80's for ya...still I prefer 80's TV over Reality TV anytime.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:45 pm

Cool. :) I saw a commercial a few years back where there was these tires people could really buy that would stay inflated if you ran over a nail or something, and didn't blow out. I forgot what tire that was, though. I haven't seen or heard about those since.

As for K.I.T.T.'s tires, I think wouldn't lava be less heat than a laser which is concentrated high heat? I'm not sure, though. I thought lava would melt the tires too.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:21 pm

KITT can go 200 MPG. I forgot which episode theyy said that. I think it was that ep when Devon was in jail. Also, Hondasir was correct they did say he can go on anything that has combustional abilities.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:19 pm

I think KITT's top speed was 350 mph actually. In fact, there was a real-life firebird that actually could hit that mark (actually, when the best speeds were averaged).

So thinking though even at 200 mph and all the travelling they did, he would have some pretty high mileage. :)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:58 pm

MPG= Miles Per Gallon- This is what I meant Tika.
MPH= Miles Per Hour- Thats what you meant.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:18 am

Ohhh... Ok, MPG I got the two confused because I didn't see the "G" and got lost at the fork in the road. ;)

200 MPG - wish my car could get that good a gas mileage. :)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:31 am

In "Goliath," Michael drives at 300mph in the desert and this was when K.I.T.T. was badly damaged. In SPM mode I think the highest mark he reached was like 260mph, but my question is if K.I.T.T. could always go that fast, what did Bonnie need to instal the SPM mode for? I'm guessing for instantaneous speed?

hot_knight
Rookie

Post by hot_knight » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:29 am

Isnt lava liquid rock hence its 1000's of degrees whereas i dont think a laser would be that hot.

Also SPM supposedly gave kitt quicker more precise steering and stopping. (YOU RARELY SAW KITT FISHTAIL IN SPM) at least i didnt

knight4001
Stranger

Post by knight4001 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:18 pm

Besides, I thought KITT only reached that high of a speed in "Goliath" due to some tinkering the Micheal did while KITT was still on his side. I remember that Micheal was looking through KITT's manual and was messing with some stuff.

As for SPM, I remember the close-ups of KITT's speedometer, and, correct me if I am wrong, I believe that in SPM the speed at times got up to the 290s, but the camera always cut away at about 296 or so. However, judging from how quickly the speed was increasing, I would say that SPM allowed KITT to move much faster than 300 mph.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:00 pm

Wow, lots of questions in this thread!

For one thing, whoever the guy at universal Studios in Hollywood was that provided the voice acting for the KITT car they used to have on display there that you could sit ina nd talk to and ask questions said that KITT's top speed was 356.7 MPH and I took that as being semi-official because it came from Universal even though it was never mentioned in the show.

As for KITT's tires and the laser that was used to blow it out, that episode was "Knight and Knerd" in the 3rd season if I recall correctly and the episode where KITT drove through the lava was "Knight Flight to freedom" at the end of the 4th season. If you want to explain things in terms of the series' continuity, you might speculate that in the 3rd season KITT's MBS hadn't been applied to his tires but after K&K Bonnie and team decided to coat them to protect them in the future. And as far as how hot lava is in comparison to a laser (like the one used in the episode), lava can reach thousands of degrees but so can lasers, which can actually get much hotter than lava. Some lasers in the real world are used because of how hot they can get, with applications in cutting and even welding thick metal.

And yes, KITT only reached the 300 MPH mark in Goliath because Michael rigged a ramjet from KITT's turbine, which produced an unbelievable amount of thrust. However, when KITT was repaired once they got out of the desert, FLAG obviously put the turbine back together the way it was supposed to go and ditched the ramjet (I'm thinking that at that time maybe FLAG engineers hadn't figured out how to incorporate that into KITT because it would be so hard to control and hence maybe KITT's SPM was a ramjet type of setup that was built-in when technology had progressed a bit and Bonnie could install it in the 4th season). Okay, probably thinking too much here but it's an explanation nonetheless. LOL

And to make sure we're staying on topic, I have no idea what KITT's mileage would theoretically be in the range of but over 8 years of service and missions, it wouldn't surprise me to be well over 500,000 with all the driving Michael did to and from places. Maybe someone with too much time on their hands can watch each episode, add up the mileage for each and give us a rough estimate for what it might have been by the end of the 4th season? :lol:
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Super Pursuit Mode Is Here...

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:48 pm

Speaking of a car traveling over 300MPH and being aerodynamic, in the latest issue of Popular Science, there is a real life supercar than can travel up to 350MPH, morphs to become more aerodynamic like K.I.T.T. does in SPM, and has 2,000HP. Check out the article for anyone interested:

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/futurecar/ ... -4,00.html

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:22 am

Wow, that's cool, Lost Knight! I think THIS should be KITT in the new movie - heck, they should also use current technology to make it talk, etc. Then it'd be like a real-life car-actor. :) I would want to see the old Trans Am in the movie but if they MUST have a new car, I would love for this one to be it!

Colision avoidance systems, SPM shape-shifting, 300+ MPH, and just add some voice technology and speach recognition and you got yourself a real-life KITT!

Imagine after the movie folks wanting to hear the car to talk and it actually DOES. I just hope that they have William Daniels' voice incorporated into the speach system, of course. :)

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:02 am

Yikes.. that car really does look ugly.. :o

AP

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:57 pm

Let’s not forget that despite the fact that Kitt existed for eight years, technically the Kitt that Michael left behind when he retired would have only been six years old at the most due to what happened in Junkyard Dog. After all, only the very barest shreds of residue remained of most of Kitt's internal systems when they pulled him out of the toxic waste. I have no doubt in my mind that what remained, if anything of the drive shaft, suspension system and wheels would have also been replaced as well, which would make everything but Kitt's shell six years old. This would reduce the total mileage significantly. If we were to say that Kitt averaged approximately 75,000 miles per year, then the total mileage would work out to be in the 450,000 mile range at the end of those six years, rather than the 600,000 mile range that it would be at the end of eight years.

From Matthew
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:10 pm

Matthew - I didn't even think about that. You're right. And I was talking about KITT's car shell. I was also just thinking it could have been thought of as KITT himself (The AI) how many miles did he travel, but was more interested in the actual Trans Am. I forgot that during the series, he was actually inside more than one Trans Am, as you mentioned, when they replaced his car with other ones when the old ones were destroyed.

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:24 pm

True,that would take a lot of mileage off plus all of the other things that was on there...
Knight Industries Defence One