Attention DVD Driver - a suggestion for season 2 set

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Tony J Case
Recruit

Attention DVD Driver - a suggestion for season 2 set

Post by Tony J Case » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:03 pm

While I'll freely admit that the season one set ROCKS and you guys did a great job - there's one additional feature I'd like to see for following seasons: more chapter breaks.

The four that are imbedded in the episodes with the current set - well, theyre not very conviently placed. At the very least, could we get a chapter stop right after the opening credits? While I love the theme, after episode 19 in my marathon, I'm ready to skip it.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see the chapter stop unfold like this: a stop after the teaser/Credits, one stop at each commercial break, and one just before the end credits.

But aside from that one admittedly very small point, I think the set is dead on perfect.

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by neps » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:54 pm

I couldn't agree with you more Tony, but I don't think DVD Driver has any pull in that. He was hired to do the extras on the set, I don't believe he had a hand in the episode chapters.

Like I mentioned in my review the Region 2 discs have more chapter breaks, and 4 breaks on a Two Hour like the Pilot is insane. I think your chapter stop is good, but I would add one more...

teaser [chapterbreak] credits [chapterbreak] normal episode with [chapterbreak] at commericals and one before the end credits.

The one in between the teaser and credits really isn't that important, but it would be helpful to have it.

Tony J Case
Recruit

Post by Tony J Case » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:18 pm

neps wrote:I couldn't agree with you more Tony, but I don't think DVD Driver has any pull in that. He was hired to do the extras on the set, I don't believe he had a hand in the episode chapters.
Well, if he cant directly affect the mastering of the DVD set, perhaps he can put a bug in the ear of the people in charge of that department. It never hurts to ask, right?

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:49 pm

Nope, it never hurts... I just wanted to clear up his involvement on the disc.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:27 pm

What gets me is why the pilot is referenced by everyone as being 2 hours long, when it clearly isn't.

Sure, in the tv syndicated version, it would be, due to breaks...but it's an hour and half approx.

Ach..I'm nitpicking. No offence to anyone, I am just confused. :P

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:42 pm

To be honest, I made a conscious effort not to refer to it as two hours in my review, and for some reason here I didn't think I would be called on it. Way to prove me wrong Skav. :P

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:17 pm

oh great...that just had to go through your mind, Neil.

*slinks into a corner in embarassment* :lol:

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:52 am

Any one care to explain to this idiot - what the hell is a chapter break? I watched the first side of disk one and enjoyed it delightfully. But unsure what you people mean by chapter break. any one care to fill this complete idiot it? Thanks - much appreciated! :wink:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:56 am

A chapter break is a selection of points through the film, that allows you to skip scenes by pressing the skip button on your remote...you will be taken to the next chapter point that is put onto the disk...in other words, a later sequence in the program somewhere.

Not sure if I defined that clearly but I hope so.

Skav

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:44 am

Perhaps one way to describe it is like I track on a CD. To play that one song in the middle of a CD that you want you can press track forward until you get to it. So too with Chapter breaks can you chapter forward to the part in the episode you wish to watch, easily skipping the prior parts of the episode.

The problem with the KR discs is that if you wish to skip the teaser and the opening titles and hit chapter forward, you will be taken not to the point after the opening titles but to a point a few minutes after.. which I believe is the first commercial break. Again, not the end of the world, but annoying when you just want to quickly watch an episode without the stuff you've seen a thousand times before.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:34 am

Good thing the fast forward on dvd players is extremely fast, eh, Neil? Because I agree with you, I do hope they include more points in the next season. Still, no big deal as nobody would ever watch the episodes one after the other after they've received the set for the first time.

Skav

Knight-Rider
Rookie

Post by Knight-Rider » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:44 pm

I want bloopers in Season 2

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:16 pm

Knight-Rider wrote:I want bloopers in Season 2
David did mention an outtake reel in the commentary. Maybe we'll get to see it if there is a season 2 release.

Tony J Case
Recruit

Post by Tony J Case » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:21 pm

So i just finished up Season 1, including all the extras. The one I really liked was the photo gallery - not so much because of the photos (which were cool) but because of the score that went along with it. I found myself really getting into the background music during the show, and to hear it without effects and dialouge was pretty keen.

So I was wondering - is it possible to get either an isolated soundtrack on one of the future discs or a supplemential section (like what they did for the Doctor Who: the 5 Doctors disc). That would be Da Bomb - at least for me.