Cars With Emotions?

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sith
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Cars With Emotions?

Post by Sith » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:02 am

We've had cars that tell you to put on your seatbelt, and cars that beep when you pull out the ignition key and forget to turn off your headlights.

Thanks to David Hasselhoff and that TV series about one man and his trusted pet vehicle, Knight Rider, we have at least imagined a car that can talk, think and change gears without human interaction.

But a car with feelings and facial expressions? That can cry, laugh, nod off to sleep and wag its tail with delight? That may sound like something straight out of JG Ballard's science fiction.

If the top designers and engineers at Toyota have anything to do with it, however, it could soon be coming to a car dealership near you. Toyota has just won a US patent that would use extra lights, eyebrow-like slits on its bonnet, a wagging antenna, adjustable body height and other quirky features to express moods, much like a human or an animal.

Among the proposed features is a propensity to change colours: orange for feeling fine; red for anger, surprise or reluctance; green for sleepiness; and blues and whites for anything from sadness, tears and fear to inspiration, aplomb and sophistication.

The purpose, according to the quartet of inventors behind the patent, is to increase the degree of communication between one driver and other road-users. At the moment, just about the only instrument at a driver's disposal is the horn.

More here:

http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?fSec ... Id=2166020

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:20 am

YEAH! TOYOTA RULES THE SCHOOL! 8) :dance:

Check Out the Avatar!
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:56 am

LOL -thats all I can say right now- :D
Knight Rider 2day 2morrow 4ever

Leaving the forum May 3, 2006. (Losing internet connection.) Thanks for all the wonderful memories!!! -- Dropped in Feb 18, 2008 to say 'hi'.

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:59 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:YEAH! TOYOTA RULES THE SCHOOL! 8) :dance:

Check Out the Avatar!
You mean the supra? :lol:

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:04 pm

Yeah! :D Wow, Toyota is leading the way!
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Re: Cars With Emotions?

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:51 pm

Sith wrote:
Thanks to David Hasselhoff and that TV series about one man and his trusted pet vehicle, Knight Rider, we have at least imagined a car that can talk, think and change gears without human interaction.
Pet vehicle!!!??? KITT was no pet! LOL!

Sith wrote:
At the moment, just about the only instrument at a driver's disposal is the horn.
There's also the old bumper sticker goodie: "Horn broken. Watch for finger." :twisted:

My Car Kitt has a more "Herbie" way of communication. He'll sputter when he's cold and wet. Lately he decided that now he'll make me realize what it feels like to be in the rain outside. He makes sure when I get in the car after or during rain that the driver side seat is WET. I have NO idea where the heck that much water is coming from but it's enough to literally soak my pants! :lol:

If I talk about another car or have been dremeling the rust off him, he'll refuse to unlock the door when I try to use the key. :)

Whenever I want to go somewhere, he goes alright - FAST. :lol: He especially likes taking off backing out of the parking spot or going through intersections.

If I get sarcastic when his radiator fan goes on and he starts to sputter, I'd go "ok, now I guess you're gonna put the engine light on huh?" Then his light WOULD go on. :D I can't get him to turn it off and KEEP it off just by telling him though. He ignores THAT request. :)

Sometimes I think he's looking at me with sad headlights as I sit on the front steps, wondering when I'm going to take him out on the road again.

Cars have quite a lot of personality already. The only "more" personality I could ever imagine would be K.I.T.T. :)

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:32 am

You deffinitly have a love bug there - although I think that it is saying - if you love my then let me be the way that I am. :lol: :wink:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:41 pm

If I left him the way he was, then he'd be all gone in not time from rust holes and such. :( And my butt would be wet every time I went to the store. :lol: I am working on fixing it up, though. And yeah, he can be a love-bug sometimes. :)

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:55 pm

He'll smarted up when you have him fixed up a bit more. Consider it a tempertantrum right now. He is used to the old way. He will get used to the new way. Then everyone will be happy.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:40 pm

Today my friend and I decided he also just might be getting old and need a pair of 'depends' (undergarments for incontenance :lol: )

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:59 pm

I thought that it was only the ladies who used those not men. :lol: :wink: