Latest on the film from David

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

zero
Rookie

Latest on the film from David

Post by zero » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:36 am

Hey all, I haven't posted here in ages so I doubt anyone remembers me but my name is Shaun and used to run "Knight Writers Online" which was a KR fanfic site a few years back. Anyway, this news was posted on IGN today:
July 14, 2004 - David Hasselhoff has given the folks over at Empire Online an update on the big-screen retooling of his classic '80s series Knight Rider. "Right now we're still working on a script," he told the site. "The first couple of scripts came in and just weren't what we wanted. We want to get it right because there's a lot of people waiting for Knight Rider." Yes, with bated breath.

The Hasselhoff continued, "I'm definitely going to get back behind the wheel but we're also bringing in a young kid, probably to play my son." We've known for a while that Hasselhoff will be reprising his role as Michael Knight. In the film, Michael takes the place of Devon Miles as the director of the Foundation. Knight's son is the lead role in the film. Who will play his son? Some of the crazy names that have been kicked around include Ben Affleck and Ashton Kutcher. Don't count on it.

KITT, Knight's custom black Trans Am from the original series that was capable of speeds greater than 300 MPH and "turbo boosting" 50 feet in the air, will also be back for the film. But in what form? Hasselhoff says cryptically, "New car and the same car."

Revolution is partnering with Mayhem Pictures' Mark Ciardi and Gordon Gray for the retooled Rider film. They hope to target the Fast and the Furious crowd.
As for who is going to play his son, why hasn't anyone mentioned Paul Walker? Watch The Fast and the Furious and tell me he wouldn't be a good partner for KITT. He even has the curly Michael Knight hair. :)

March2875
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by March2875 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:54 am

Sounds like we may have two cars. The original Kitt and an updated new car. I thought we should have two cars if it was a father and son deal. The fathers classic KR Kitt and the son's new ride.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:55 am

Hey Shaun, I do remember your site very well, glad to see you still around!

Sadly though, this information is a bit of a rehash of out dated info. Hasselhoff working with Revolution and Mayhem Pictures is old, as they have since parted ways. Hasselhoff is taking it to other production studios because Revolution didn't want the car to talk. Can you believe that? Hasselhoff himself was on the Wayne Brady show recently and mentioned that. The son line and the possible actors were also thrown around awhile ago as well.

We all wish for something new though. Thanks for bringing it to our attention though! Shame that they can't do any new reporting.

Hope you stick around!

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:10 am

Actually Neil that is a brand new update. The Revoultion reference is no where to be found in that whole David interview. There are two recent updates from that site.

It'll Be Alright On The Knight Rider

Exclusive: David Hasselhoff talks big-screen Kitt remake
14 July 2004
Among the assortment of C-lebs who attended the Spider-Man 2 premiere on Monday – the Rachel Stevens, Lady Isabella Herveys and Busteds of this world – one man strode among them like a giant. Only one man in that room brought his bouffant perm to global attention in not one, but two, seminal TV roles. Only one man has a massive singing career in Germany. And only one man had just made a Sky Plus advert with Mike Reid.

That man, of course, was David Hasselhoff. The man – nay, God – who was the Knight Rider. The man who gave the world Baywatch (the world, to this day, has never fully repaid the debt). He deigned to give Empire some of his precious time, so naturally we asked him about the long-awaited Knight Rider: The Movie which, last we heard, was stuck in heavy gridlock somewhere outside Luton.

"Right now we're still working on a script," he told us. "The first couple of scripts came in and just weren't what we wanted. We want to get it right because there's a lot of people waiting for Knight Rider."

Indeed. But the burning question is: will he be back as Michael Knight, the guy with the coolest car in all of Christendom? " I'm definitely going to get back behind the wheel but we're also bringing in a young kid, probably to play my son." And what of the car, O Lord Hassel of Hoff? He smiled, cryptically. "New car and the same car."

Oooooh. So that's good news. But Hasselhoff – who's in London to play the role of Billy Flynn in the West End production of Chicago – had another possibility for us, this time one guaranteed to send shivers up our spine. And not in a good way, either.

There was a time, you know, when not all Marvel movies were good. For example, Hasselhoff's stab at Nick Fury – the cigar-chewing, eyepatch-wearing head of Marvel's kick-ass military team, SHIELD – a few years back in a rather lousy Fox TV movie still has comic book geeks jolting awake at night, covering their Futurama sheets in sweat. And he could be coming back.

"We've been talking about bringing Nick Fury back for a long time," he warned. "There was some talk at one time of Nick Fury getting involved with the X-Men because he used to keep Wolverine in line in the comic books."

Well yes, he did to an extent (he did lots of other cool stuff too), but relax, folks. We're pretty sure that Fury won't be teaming up with Bryan Singer's mutants anytime soon, and thankfully Hasselhoff's next big-screen appearance – apart from a cameo in the sublime Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story – could be back where he belongs – behind the wheel of KITT.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:13 am

Here is the earlier update from the same site.

Knightmare

Big screen Knight Rider rolling forwards
13 April 2004
Fans of talking cars and eighties hair will be thrilled to know that a big screen adaptation of Knight Rider is heading for cinemas. David Hasselhoff, the German pop superstar and sometime lifeguard who played Michael Knight in the original series, is back on board to produce and co-star.

Hasselhoff will be reprising his role as Michael Knight, but will no longer be piloting supercar K.I.T.T. Instead, he will be in an elder statesman and mentor role, taking over from Devon Miles in the original series. The man behind the wheel-that-talks is yet to be cast, but will apparently be Knight's son, inheriting the family business from his old man.

Ben Affleck is the producers' first choice for that role, although sources have not confirmed whether he would be required to grow a mullet for the part. For the real star of the film, however, the ever-so-slightly camp voice of K.I.T.T., Hasselhoff is anxious for original star William Daniels to return.

Hasselhoff recently claimed that his 1989 performance of his song "Looking for Freedom" at the Brandenburg Gate contributed to the fall of the Berlin Wall, but is willing to take a break from flying the flag for freedom to return to F.L.A.G., the Foundation for Law and Government for which Michael Knight worked. Filming is expected to begin later this year, so watch out in 2005 for villains being knocked out by a well-placed car door bouncing open, flirtatious banter between man and machine and some of the tightest jeans ever to grace a bucket seat.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:22 am

Well I do apologize if I messed up, I have been at work for 24 hours straight without sleep so I am admittedly a bit loopy. The articles on IGN may be different, but his initial post at the top of this topic quoted an article that mentioned him working with Revolution and the Son bit and that was the information that I was replying to.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:47 am

I know you must be tired after 24 hours of work. I work nights at Wal Mart on their Maintenance team. there have been days ive come home so tired I couldn't even type the correct password into my account to sign on line. Makes me wonder how I found my way home driving LOL.

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:14 am

Yeah, the above quotes were actually taken from Hasselhoff at the Spider-man 2 premiere here in the UK.

http://comingsoon.net/news.php?id=5548

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:57 am

So they DO want to bring in the F&F crowd?? Well, then I won't be seeing this film.

I liked F&F but I think it might be one of those stupid trendy cgi filled films.

They should also be concentrating on the adult audiences because they seem to forget there are adults who once watched the show and are still fans so i think they are going the wrong way about it.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:58 pm

The man who gave the world Baywatch (the world, to this day, has never fully repaid the debt).
Oh man. LOL.

Hey Shaun, welcome back! How have you been?

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:31 pm

Does anyone know where can we like give advice for the movie or ideas directly to hasselhoff because ben affleck is a horrible actor and Mark Whalberg should play him, if you have seen Italian Job, you'll see it, he sexy, looks good behind the wheel, and has some chemistry as a Michael Knight, a younger version!!!!

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:27 pm

hello.. i was wondering about the urls to those articles?

thanks.

KITT :?:
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:16 am

Shaun, I remember you and your site. Your site was cool. Pity it's not still around. I used to go there a lot.

Welcome back,
Nick

Karl Siniak
Recruit

Post by Karl Siniak » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:31 pm

I would say that comment David makes about "a new car and the same car" he means that the original 82 Trans Am will appear as KITT in the beginning of the movie, and we will probably see him being updated into a new car for Michael's son to drive.

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:53 pm

Skav wrote:So they DO want to bring in the F&F crowd?? Well, then I won't be seeing this film.
No, thats old info that the writer has added to his piece - incorrectly I might add.

We also know that Hasselhoff has left the above named studio.

All he said was in the link I posted above. :)

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:12 pm

hello? am i a ghost?

KITT :evil:
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:56 pm

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:07 pm

KITT wrote:hello? am i a ghost?

KITT :evil:
8)
No - You are not a ghost!! sometimes people just are to busy doing other things to notice that some one needs something.
8)
:kittconv2:

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:13 pm

thanks neil. :D

KITT

MrPayner
Operative

Re: Latest on the film from David

Post by MrPayner » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:55 am

zero wrote:In the film, Michael takes the place of Devon Miles as the director of the Foundation. Knight's son is the lead role in the film.
I seem to recall myself mentioning this in another post.. Funny that.

AP

beatle64
Recruit

Post by beatle64 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:39 am

My question now is if they are going to act like KR2000 happened or if they are going to disreguard it. If they use it then we are looking at a movie that doesn't take place until the year 2017, maybe later.

I'm not big on films that take place in the future, and that would be pushing it.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:11 pm

I think its safe to say both KR2000 and TKR are being disregarded.

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:47 am

Let us hope so. Both of those give Knight Rider a bad name. Although I did enjoy watching TKR, it kind os sucked compared to the original.