Knight Rider 2 - Interview With The Developers Davilex

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sith
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider 2 - Interview With The Developers Davilex

Post by Sith » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:52 pm

Knight Rider may not mean much to younger gaming fans but older TV viewers will remember this now cult series with extreme fondness. Alongside the likes of Starsky and Hutch, Beverley Hill Billies, Miami Vice (another of Davilex's new titles), it has a lot to live up to as it’s brought back to life and up to date for the critical and analytical perusal of PC and video gamers. Nothing short of really interesting will suffice in what some may say is a tough task for erstwhile purveyors of low priced games, who appear to be on the march for higher quality releases. Derek dela Fuente spoke with Lambert Wolterbeek Muller, Technical Director & Sr. Producer at Davilex, to find out the about the trials and aspirations in acquiring cult brands!

This is the sequel to the highly successful first Knight Rider, which was released in 2003 and sold 170.000 units in Europe so far.

"The Knight Rider license has a lot to offer. It is a broadly recognised brand and plays well into the 70s and 80s revival. It also has a lot of action and strong characters creating a great basis for exciting game-play and a strong storyline."

"It is always important to obtain a good license deal in the sense that you have access to almost all elements from the series when basing a game on TV or movie formats. This is definitely the case with Knight Rider. It helped us create the original Knight Rider feel and atmosphere in the game. The only limitation Universal gave us was: everything you could do in the game should fit within the Knight Rider universe. So don't expect bloody massacres but rather stylish action packed missions in line with the actual TV series."

"We believe Knight Rider and Miami Vice are very strong licenses. A lot of people know both series. Everyone I know that was growing up in the 80s knows Knight Rider and Miami Vice as well as the characters Michael and KITT (KR) and Crockett and Tubbs (MV)."

"Many of the kids nowadays also know Knight Rider and Miami Vice due to the popular re-runs on TV. Both series are in continuous TV syndication worldwide. The properties have a nostalgic appeal about them; they have become somewhat ‘cult’ symbols of that period in time. We are seeing a huge retro trend in the market with all kinds of entertainment, fashion, music and consumer products focusing their style and communication on the 70s and 80s."

"We also believe it appeals to people who don't know the TV series. Be honest, who doesn't want to drive a cool, stylish black high-tech car in high speed Super Pursuit Mode or use the Turbo Boost to literally fly trough the air? It's a pure adrenaline rush!"

There will be a lot of gamers that will not be au fait with the series and the best way to sum it up is to say the lead is a car, called KITT and it has brains! Apparently you can do all kinds of incredible things with it and the dev team appears to be very excited with this prospect! The car is stuffed with high-tech gadgets allowing us to create unique action packed game-play. The player really has to master and use the features of the car to successfully complete the missions.

"KITT can do all he could in the TV series. He will give you hints by scanning the area, drive ski mode through narrow alleys or turbo boost allowing you to get to those hard to reach places. Then there is the Micro Jam feature in order to control objects and of course the Super Pursuit Mode where KITT cranks up the speed to such a level that the surroundings change into a blur. There is also a lot of dialogue between KITT and Michael just like in the series."

Also there is the storyline, the clear 'good against evil' theme from the TV series that we have managed to transfer to the game offering a continuous challenge to the player.

The synergy between the series and David Hasselhoff is well known and he has helped the team recreate his face and body for the game, so you actually see the 'real' Michael Knight while playing the game.

As in the first Knight Rider, the player will play KITT and must use all the unique features that this famous car was capable of in order to successfully complete missions. Whether its driving in ski-mode in narrow alleys, utilising night vision to see where others cannot, chasing the bad guys with incredible speed by activating the Turbo Boost or scanning buildings to analyse a situation, Knight Rider 2 will still offer all the thrilling features associated with the original KITT car of the TV series.

In Knight Rider 2, KITT is now also capable of Combat mode which will raise the gameplay element significantly with the player using different car-based weapons to fight off robots, armoured vehicles and of course Garth, Michaels evil twin-brother and arch enemy. Mini Games such as Dirt Track Racing and The Shooting Gallery add to the excitement and fun. These Mini Games may be unlocked by successfully completing certain missions.

There is a feast of weapons on hands although some fans may see this as sacrilege. Lambert explained. "Actually, in several episodes KITT was armed with a laser. We believe the weapons KITT uses in the game fit within the Knight Rider universe. Don't worry; KIT won't fire any nuclear warheads, but will utilise sophisticated weapons in the true Knight Rider style."

The team has created mission-based levels using a considerable variety of in game-play, which was a good way to develop the story. In some missions you can drive freely, in others not. There is a multitude of different landscapes and sceneries fitting the atmosphere of the TV series.

And the villains? Well Lambert was not going to spill the beans as this might spoil part of the fun. But he did say that there are going to be a wide variety of boss-battles. Quizzed to tell us about some of the real variant gameplay ideas, he softened a little and gave a snippet if info.

"For example KITT has to ward off a chopper that is trying to destroy KITT by shooting missiles at it. In another situation KITT has to save Michael by finding the right path and surviving breathtaking challenges along the way. The game is full of combat, ‘seek, explore and find’ and high-speed racing."

A final summery ended the great insight into the game.

"Davilex Games’ motto is to offer a great gaming experience for a value for money price. Our games won't cost you an arm and a leg but will provide you with hours of fun playtime. “

"We have gone the extra mile in Knight Rider 2; we have listened to the comments people gave us on the first version and have implemented and improved the game tremendously. The result is a game with compelling game-play."

"So sit back, pick up the controller and experience the 80s nostalgia at it's best. Enjoy!"

http://www.totalvideogames.com/pages/ar ... le_id=5877

Provisional release date: 29/10/04 (Europe)
Last edited by Sith on Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:01 pm

I think that is an excellent interview. Beyond just hyping the game, they addressed the issue of "KITT with weapons" head on, acknowledge the importance of fans, and genuinely seemed excited about the project.

Thanks for posting, Sith.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:19 pm

Sounds great and we got a release date so that's cool to just have to wait now.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:05 am

Great interview! Thanks Sith. :) I would love to have this game. I hope it'll be available for the PC in the USA as well, and in English.

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:16 am

Wow... that WAS a good interview. Thank you so much Sith! This game just keeps sounding better and better.

Knight 'n' Day
Recruit

Post by Knight 'n' Day » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:37 am

Awesome interview. I can't wait to see the final product. My only concern is Hasselhoff's inclusion. Recreating his face and body is great, but it doesn't mean squat if it doesn't at least sound like him. This is one of the first game's major pitfalls in my opinion. EA made the same mistake with James Bond 007: Nightfire. Bond was modelled to look exactly like Pierce Brosnan, but they didn't use his voice. It didn't ruin my enjoyment of the game, but it definitely took away from the experience. If they can address that, I'll be happy. All that will be needed is an NTSC PS2 release.

Irish Knight
Recruit

Post by Irish Knight » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:38 am

Very good interview. I can't wait for the game to be released. Just four months to go.

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:45 am

The release date 29/10/04 is that for world wide release or just for europe.Because big question is will this time be for the NTSC/US america version on ps2.But i'm just wondering about the release date if america has to wait longer.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:06 pm

yes, very good Sith.

Nick

GetKittBack
Rookie

Post by GetKittBack » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:25 pm

i cant wait to get the new game coming out it will be a very good game. and thanks for telling us that sith. and a little off subject question. why is ur avater sith a puppy dog?

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:01 pm

It's a cute puppy dog though.hehe.Back on topic.

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:56 pm

Thats Snood Dog™ :wink: A mascot at my site.

And yes the release date, is Europe only for the moment. There is no news yet on the American release date or whether the PS2 version will make it over.

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:20 pm

Thanks for the info sith.And that is a cuty puppy biting on something. :lol: 8) :D

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:33 am

Sith wrote:Thats Snood Dog™ :wink: A mascot at my site.

And yes the release date, is Europe only for the moment. There is no news yet on the American release date or whether the PS2 version will make it over.
Darn. :( I hope it does get to the US eventually. I know the older PC one is found at Amazon for like $10. I might get that.

Knight Rider Fan 2004
Stranger

Post by Knight Rider Fan 2004 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:00 am

I guess each side has to have one each. The US getting the DVD's first and Europe the game first.

Landotheman
Volunteer

Post by Landotheman » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:01 am

True, but living in the UK, i'd rather have the DVD first!

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:38 am

the dvd's will be released in the US even before the game comes out maybe in Europe by the time the game comes out maybe the copy's of the dvd's will. :)

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:03 pm

Thats an excellent interview to say the least. And as Michael said, they've takled the issue of Kitt with weapons head on, rather than dodging it as many of the larger companies would do which shows alot of class in my opinion. Thanks for bringing it to our attention Sith. :)

From Matthew
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Angoss
Stranger

Knight Rider 2 game

Post by Angoss » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:20 pm

Don't know if this is common knowledge but play.com now have this available for pre-order with a release date of the 01/10

Can't wait

A