3D DVD Cover Art is here, and it's large

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

3D DVD Cover Art is here, and it's large

Post by neps » Mon May 17, 2004 8:34 pm

And the thumbnail was true

From TVShowsOnDvd.com:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1513

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Mon May 17, 2004 8:54 pm

Not bad I suppose. A shame that the writing doesn't use the classic Knight Rider font, and that the image of KITT is reversed - hence the cowl being on the wrong side.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon May 17, 2004 8:58 pm

UGH! For 20 years people have been publishing backwards images of KITT. When will they learn, YOU CAN'T SIMPLY FLIP THE IMAGE TO MAKE THE CAR FACE THE DIRECTION YOU WANT!

OK. I feel better now.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon May 17, 2004 10:00 pm

It is eye-catching, I'll give it that. It'll stand out quite well in someone's shelf.

If it was too black, from a side view, it would look pale in comparison to other sets.

I thought I'd bring up the colour issue as I take it most of you would want it black but trust me, it's hard to make out what a dvd is with that kind of colour....freddy vs jason(R1) is an example. i have to dig it out to see what it is.

It might be cheesy, as ppl have pointed out, but it fits well with the series.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Tue May 18, 2004 1:28 am

The font kinda gives it a more "2004" look, probably trying to market it to kids who don't really know much about the series and have a couple twenties layin' around :P It does fit with the series, though the actual Knight Rider font and a good picture of Michael and KITT together would've been better, IMHO :P Still, I'm not dissatisfied with this.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue May 18, 2004 1:33 am

Its ok actually. I like the pic of KITT on that cover..... cool!!

Toni Nummela
Knight of Finland

Post by Toni Nummela » Tue May 18, 2004 4:24 am

Hey.. That's not bad at all. Nice, positive and somehow retro feel design. Yep, it's a shame that KITT is mirrored in the cover. But this is far better than I expected :) . I only hope that they keep it similar in other seasons as well, when they choose to use this design.

Somehow this cover makes me remember all the cool KR-toys from the 80's that I always wanted but never got to have. Darn right, I will buy this one :)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue May 18, 2004 5:55 am

I like it, they did a nice job of bringing a design that will be pleasing to alot. It looks a little complex so I'd be interested to see how they modify this design to apply it to the future seasons.

Personally, I'm glad they didn't use the Knight Rider font, personally it's always been an issue to get it working on the mac. The only computerized versions of the font are very poorly created both in the font file and the quality of the types line, and the kerning is all off on the file. Also, the font only has one face, ie it doesn't have an italic version, and I'm enjoying the energy this italic face has brought.

Its really a shame tho that a backwards cowl is something that makes it through, especially when it can be corrected in 5 minutes with photoshop. *nudge nudge*

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Tue May 18, 2004 9:46 am

Not bad. Looks OK.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Tue May 18, 2004 12:23 pm

Basicly that coverart looks nice but they shouldn't use flipped picture of KITT becouse of the hood. Also the frontnose looks like 4th season design, not 1st season style.

-KITTfan-

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue May 18, 2004 12:56 pm

Yeah, that is definetely either a season 3 or 4 car on that box.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kitt1987
Recruit

dvd box

Post by kitt1987 » Tue May 18, 2004 4:33 pm

Yeah it's a shame that the car is mirrored but who really cares? I'm happy just to get this baby on dvd finally. They could've put it out in a plain brown cardboard box and I couldn't care less....whatever it looks like on my shelf doesn't matter to me, it's what's burned onto the discs and what it looks like on my tv is what I'm concerned with. At least now we know exactly what to look for at the store now when it comes out.
Please can we not just be happy because it's coming out? If I had absolutely nothing to do all day but sit around and stare at my dvd collection then I might have a slight care about it....h*ll I never look at my shelves (which contain well over 300 dvd's) until I go in to pick out a movie. To me it looks "cluttered" anyway and it's not something I have sitting out for everyone to look at because of the different cover/spine designs/artwork, and the different cases different studios use.
I guess I'll step down off my soap box for now...please feel free to flame. ;)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue May 18, 2004 4:44 pm

You're points are well-taken, kitt1987. We just needed to get it out of our system a bit, but I'm sure we're all drooling over the release, regardless of the box.

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Tue May 18, 2004 5:33 pm

*laughs and snorts*
On the TVShowsOnDVD.com site, on the S1 page, there is a sign saying 'no image available'! Hyuck, hyuck, hyuck!

Tarmac
Rookie

Post by Tarmac » Wed May 19, 2004 12:10 am

THE COVER LOOKS HOT! The two main characters sharing equal space, the cool newage wiz-bang '04 KNIGHT RIDER font, the words to the intor on the box, I like it all!

The only nit-pick is KITT's image but what can ya do, at least we're getting it.

Knightshade224
Volunteer

Post by Knightshade224 » Wed May 19, 2004 3:12 pm

How could you tell KITT is a mirror image? Whats a cowl?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed May 19, 2004 3:17 pm

that thing in the middle on the hood, if i am correct.

Skav

Knightshade224
Volunteer

Post by Knightshade224 » Wed May 19, 2004 3:19 pm

OHHH, i see...it is on the wrong side. thanks a lot

comets78
Rookie

Post by comets78 » Wed May 19, 2004 3:58 pm

it could be a lot worse

Knightshade224
Volunteer

Post by Knightshade224 » Wed May 19, 2004 6:03 pm

yeah, it could be a lot worse....oh well, at least its finally here....almost

jpp
Stranger

KNIGHT RIDER FONT SHOULD BE USED

Post by jpp » Sun May 23, 2004 3:34 pm

I'm disappointed Universal have failed to use the correct font as used on all official merchandise at the time of the show. I'm especially irritated as I've been on at Universal in the UK about this issue for years and even sent them a print ready logo at 300dpi.

The crappy font that has been doing the rounds on the Internet is a terribly rough mockup of the font and I agree with Neps on the usability of this free one for a print packaging job. However, the font used for Knight Rider is a commercially available font (it was used on horror films a lot at the time) that has been existence for over 30 years and is widely available from any decent font foundry who knows their stuff i.e. there is a Mac version and there is a truetype PC version which I bought which scales properly and is much sharper and less clumsy . And anyway I know Universal have got the original artwork in archive storage in a format that could be easily digitised. It's laziness on the marketing department's front to do their research properly and is the hallmark of Universal's back catalogue release. Imagine if they released a current film with the wrong logo. The director would be suing them. It's the same with The A-Team and all the other stuff of the same vintage. They all had corporate guidelines available to manufacturers at the time that specified logo use and size / colour .

Network video ( a small indepdent company) who released proper remastered versions of 70's UK cop show The Sweeney on DVD (filmed in 1975-78 and historically available as terribly rough video and on repeats ) went back to the original film negatives and spend thousands on cleaning them up including remixing the original mono soundtracks in Dolby Digital 5.1 and revolutionising the picture and sound quality. They did it with a clean-up team of four people! Their return of investment was massive. This was the first non mainstream back-catalogue DVD to sell in the top 20. They did their sums and it paid off. Now if a small independent company can do this , I think Universal could do the same especially as a remastered , clean-up set of digital masters could be used for syndication worldwide as well. It's investing in their back catalogue.

The result is The Sweeney DVDs look like brand new series . They also spent their time to do research on the artwork and typefaces which they painstakingly research to get right. What you end up with is a true collector's item. Universal did it right with Battlestar Galactica. Why is Knight Rider any different? I hope the UK release does it better but based on previous titles, they don't seem to do any better.

JPP
cult-television.com

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Re: KNIGHT RIDER FONT SHOULD BE USED

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun May 23, 2004 4:34 pm

jpp wrote: It's laziness on the marketing department's front to do their research properly and is the hallmark of Universal's back catalogue release.
I have to disagree... If anything, it would be easier to just use the existing old font rather than adapting some new font for the packaging. So I don't think that's lazy at all.

There is a difference between Knight Rider and Battlestar Galactica. With BG, the logotype was custom-made for the show. It is unique to that specific show. But Knight Rider basically just used a generic font. And to be honest, it hasn't aged well. When you think about Action-Adventure, that font doesn't exactly scream excitement.

Am I making up excuses for Universal? Maybe a little bit. But I'm OK with the series getting a bit of a facelift on the packaging.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun May 23, 2004 6:05 pm

...I'm still more concerned about what universal have done with the DVD transfer. After seeing the clarity of image from the UP released DVD's I hope this very important release gets the care it deserves. Is it too much to ask for a pain-staking original film clean up followed by a digital remastering?

Like jpp has shown in his first post (welcome to the board :) ) it can be done without spiralling costs and man-power.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun May 23, 2004 6:40 pm

I've sai this before, this is Universal's own product, I have the utmost confidence that these transfers will exceed any dvd transfer that has existed so far.

Why wouldn't they take care of their own product?

Skav

LoneKnight
Rookie

Post by LoneKnight » Tue May 25, 2004 10:46 pm

Right quick and slightly off-topic...

Release date? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Now I got something to look forward to besides Smallville.