The next best choice

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Arjun
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

The next best choice

Post by Arjun » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:28 am

The 82 Trans Am was the car that they used as KITT in the show, but then, that car may not be so popular now, given all its faults. Whether it is a new movie, or a replica for a fan, there might be some alternatives. Here are some of the best options I can find.
  • Any other 3rd Gen Firebird
    Any 4th Gen Firebird
    Any Camaro
    Any Fiero
    Any Corvette
    Sunfire
    Dodge Stealth
Basically, any choice other than a 3rd Gen Firebird would be a longshot, but there may be some that come close. Which one would you consider the next best choice?

Jonathan
Recruit

Post by Jonathan » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:44 am

Hum what about :

No just kidding :p

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:29 am

Hehe, we've had this debate many times before, but hell we have fresh blood on the board now. ;)

For me personally, I want it to be the very last Pontiac Firebird/Trans Am model that came out in 2002.

Just when I look at it, you can see a part of KITT in the design... maybe its just me.

If I remember correct, Knightdriver did some great renders of a 98 model with the scanner etc, and they looked awesome. :)

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:07 am

No just kidding :p
I mentioned a Dodge Stealth, but I meant a virgin, untouched (well, almost) car, not one made to look like a Banshee (a bad copy of the Trans Am, from the design).
Hehe, we've had this debate many times before, but hell we have fresh blood on the board now.
I don't remember when, but that will make interesting reading.
If I remember correct, Knightdriver did some great renders of a 98 model with the scanner etc, and they looked awesome.
Those were good pictures. howevwer, as someone mentioned earlier, that's not a Turbo Boost car, but more of a Turbo Bust-in machine. KITT was quite agile, hence the Turbo Boosts and Ski Modes. This is more of a 'power' car that can run through things rather than jump over them. It also looks fatter, so the identity of KITT would change a little ("Oh my, what a lot of weight I have gained!"), making it different from KITT of old.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:39 pm

Sith wrote: I want it to be the very last Pontiac Firebird/Trans Am model that came out in 2002.

Just when I look at it, you can see a part of KITT in the design... maybe its just me.

Click here for my obligatory animated gif . . . (573KB filesize)

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:52 pm

I saw this one firebird model that was perfect for kitt,I think it was 95..
Knight Industries Defence One

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:30 pm

Hey....... My KITT isn't FAT! He is festively plump. Wait and see what 22 years will do to you without a job. LOL..... Fatten your rear end UP!

Brian - Knightdriver.com

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:05 am

lol @ Jonathan and knightdriver!

I see KITT in the 2002 Trans Ams too (the only reason I like 'em, sadly :? ), and yeah, he does look like he put on some pounds throughout the 90s :P But personally, I like to think of the bulk as muscle ;)

The newer Corvettes or Trans Am would be perfect for the new movie, in my oh-so-humble opinion, but a lot of people would disagree... I'd link to the 4 page discussion on here about which car would be best that died not so long ago but I'm lazy :P

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:27 am

KITT was not a power-hungry car, but that 2002 T/A appearance makes him look like one, so you'll have to make him act, and fight like one. Out come the machine guns, lasers, missile launchers and grenades.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Sat May 01, 2004 1:36 pm

Besides, Fourth Generation Trans Ams don't come cheap, do they? In large numbers? And not the most feasible choice if you're making a replica for yourself, is it? It would be a rather good car for a movie, but I was also looking for an option for making a replica.

Knightling
Recruit

Post by Knightling » Sat May 01, 2004 4:45 pm

I think I would like to see a custom made car for the movie...Not just a modified car but a completely unique car

knightling

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Sat May 01, 2004 5:25 pm

Arjun, really good points, I obviously hadn't thought of that... especially the power-hungry part, I think that's very true... except I don't think the image itself would be bad for him, just the crazy weapons.

Fiero? That's like suggesting a Miata... don't get me wrong, they're cute little things, I actually want one, but for KITT...?

Too bad no one seems to want KITT as a Mustang - there's PLENTY of the newer ones to go around, and I'm sorry, but I'm getting to the point where I wouldn't mind knowing a bunch of Mustangs were getting destroyed :lol:

As for the Sunfire... don't humor Pontiac, they're already gettin' off on the fact that it's a complete rip-off of the Trans Am...

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat May 01, 2004 8:56 pm

Fiero, really? I'm gonna have to agree with SwEeTiNsAnItY here... The Fiero is often mentioned in the same breath as the Pinto, Yugo and Edsel when talking about the worst cars of all time. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4063790/)

We want to put KITT in a nice car cause we love him, not punish him. ;)

I keep thinking that no car past or present, short of the 3rd gen Firebird is right for KITT. What I would love, would be for the producers of the new movie/series/whatever higher a ton of the most creative illustrators; for movies, comics, whatever, and give them the task of re-imagining KITT. I'm saying make him gimmicky with guns and such, they would need rules to be sure. But I would guarantee that a bunch of fresh creative minds would have more success than anything a bureaucratic corporation has produced.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Sun May 02, 2004 3:35 am

Fiero, really? I'm gonna have to agree with SwEeTiNsAnItY here... The Fiero is often mentioned in the same breath as the Pinto, Yugo and Edsel when talking about the worst cars of all time.
What's wrong with the Fiero? I have seen a few pictures and it looks a lot like the Firebird, though that it causes even more problems is news. But it did not look as ugly as the Ford Edsel, which was one of the most outrageously ugly cars ever designed.
SwEeTiNsAnItY wrote: I don't think the image itself would be bad for him, just the crazy weapons.
neps wrote:I'm saying make him gimmicky with guns and such, they would need rules to be sure. But I would guarantee that a bunch of fresh creative minds would have more success than anything a bureaucratic corporation has produced.
Knight Industries Talking Tankbuster? Not quite! Such ideas would fit KARR or KRO or Knight Industries Xtreme a lot better.

Looks like everyone has forgotten about the other objective- I am also looking for a car which can be used for a replica, but won't give you too many problems.

What went wrong with the Fiero?

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Sun May 02, 2004 10:31 am

As for the Sunfire... don't humor Pontiac, they're already gettin' off on the fact that it's a complete rip-off of the Trans Am...
What???? I would like to know more about this.

ramon88us
FLAG Recruit

Post by ramon88us » Sun May 02, 2004 2:35 pm

All the pontiacs look the same imo except for the TA.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue May 04, 2004 4:30 pm

The Fiero was not a bad-looking car. It was just underpowered. If they gave it just a little more ooomph it could have been a hot little sports car. That's the key word though: "Little". I think of KITT as being big and tough, and I just can't picture a tiny car like a Fiero (or a Miata, or some of the European cars) bursting through a brick wall.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Tue May 04, 2004 6:14 pm

Arjun, all you have to do is look at the Sunfire... it's so much like the Trans Am it isn't even funny! If they were gonna make the Sunfire look like that they should've just kept on makin' the Trans Am...
ramon88us wrote:All the pontiacs look the same imo except for the TA.
If you're refering to the new GTO, the Grand Am and the Grand Prix, then I have to agree... and the older Grand Prixs and Grand Ams, they look a lot like my little '93 Sunbird...

I heard the Fieros would catch fire because the placement of the engine made it hard to cool properly... the guy told me the plug wires would get too hot :? ... I didn't know plug wires needed to be cooled but then again I don't know much about engines and it's just what I heard so don't hold me responsible if what I just told you was a bunch of bull :P I didn't even know Fieros were mid-engines up until about a month ago, that surprised the crap outta me... the only mid-engine manufactured in America... well, it was a good try Pontiac, I give ya credit for that much at least! :P

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Wed May 05, 2004 7:24 pm

I'm still partial to my concept sketches of KITT in the 4th gen. body. Most everyone here has seen these before but thought I'd re-post again so the relative newbies can see :-)
And the SPM version:
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Wed May 05, 2004 9:26 pm

Nice pics...:o
Knight Industries Defence One