William Daniels movie credit?

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

William Daniels movie credit?

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:32 pm

Williams Daniels didn't receive on-screen credit for doing the voice of KITT. Assuming he returns for the movie, what would you like to see them do for his credit?

I know that the Screen Actors Guild and union rules are very specific and strict, and he may HAVE to have his name somewhere in there whether he or the producers want it or not. But should his name appear at the beginning of the film? Part me wants them to continue the tradition of NOT giving his name, and sort of adding to the mystique that KITT is just "KITT" and not an actor. On the other hand, it would be fun to finally cheer his name on the big screen.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:50 pm

I didn't think that any actor had to have their name in the credits because I know some films like 'friday 13th' where the actor playing the movie killer got his name removed because he didn't like how the film turned out.

maybe things have changed now though.

in any case, I think they should carry the tradition.

it makes the whole KR experience more authentic.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:58 pm

Sometimes you'll see a credit like "A film by Alan Smithee". Producers or directors will specifically use the Alan name instead of theri own when they don't want to be associated with the project.

The Friday the 13th example may be a special case because Jason doesn't have any lines. If you don't speak, you don't have to be listed. I'm not sure about that, but I think it's a loophole.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:15 pm

Wow, never knew that. Thanks, Mike!!

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KnightRider2000
Operative

William Daniels

Post by KnightRider2000 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:18 pm

The funny thing is william daniels is the former president of the screen actors guild. I guess the movie's coming out to late, LOL.

-KnightRider2000

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:21 pm

I suspect at the very least, he will appear in the end credits, and not at the start just to maintain tradition....theres a thought. Do you reckon that the movie opening will be a homage to the original KR opening...please let it be.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:19 pm

It's said that Whoopi Goldberg didn't want or get screen credit for playing Guinan in Star Trek Generations.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:39 pm

sarfraz wrote:Do you reckon that the movie opening will be a homage to the original KR opening...please let it be.
I don't think it will be an homage... The series credits shows too much of the car. Although I'm sure we will have a pretty good idea what the new KITT will look like before the movie is released, in terms of the actual story that is being told on screen, there should be a big "reveal" where we see KITT for the first time. Showing the original footage of KITT in the desert on the big screen would look cheesey, and refilming it using the new KITT would spoil the reveal.

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:48 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:Showing the original footage of KITT in the desert on the big screen would look cheesey, and refilming it using the new KITT would spoil the reveal.
Maybe they'll do something along the lines of what they did in that stupid Chips '99 TV movie: recreate the main title sequence shot for shot in the middle of the movie with newly shot footage of the new vehicle. :lol:

(Of course, Chips '99 had another Knight Rider connection... it featured the Knight 4000.)

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:15 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:
sarfraz wrote:Do you reckon that the movie opening will be a homage to the original KR opening...please let it be.
I don't think it will be an homage... The series credits shows too much of the car. Although I'm sure we will have a pretty good idea what the new KITT will look like before the movie is released, in terms of the actual story that is being told on screen, there should be a big "reveal" where we see KITT for the first time. Showing the original footage of KITT in the desert on the big screen would look cheesey, and refilming it using the new KITT would spoil the reveal.
Assuming there is a new KITT, we also assume that the original KITT somehow gets destroyed, or put away in a museum etc! What about refilming the opening with the original car with only a hint of the new car. Kinda like the very small opening in KR2000. You saw the old car, and only a flash of the rear of the new car. The KR2000 opening was far too short to start the film, but I think you know what I'm getting at.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:41 pm

Waah! Me want old KITT! Me want Knight 2000...
:cry:
I want them to remake the opening with the Knight 2000, as I want it to be used.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:25 pm

I really feel they should have approached the credits to the Pilot in a different way. They should not have shown the car at all, and done something else to keep the audience wondering.

Really, the beginning credits were poor as it makes the scene where Michael looks at the scanner in the dark for the first time, pointless.

Skav