FILMING LOCATION FOUND - Hotel From Mouth of the Snake

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KRFanCA
Volunteer

FILMING LOCATION FOUND - Hotel From Mouth of the Snake

Post by KRFanCA » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:45 am

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd share a cool story with you.

Although it's not the "most popular" episode, last week I was watching "The Mouth Of The Snake". Living in Southern California, whenever I see KR, I always watch very carefully to see if I can identify any of the filming locations. Sometimes I look for lots of details.

I noticed the sign for a glass business was clearly visible in the background when Michael & Kitt first drive into the cheap hotel in Colexico. I had a spare minute, so I searched for the glass company on the net and found that it was only a few minutes away from me in the San Fernando Valley.

For the fun of it, while I was out yesterday, I decided to check it out. Sure enough, driving down the road, I saw the glass company and across the street was the hotel, called Traveler Inn. It looks exactly the same as when used in the show 20 years ago, except for repainted doors with different room numbers. Looks a lot smaller in person!

It was pretty cool to walk up the steps that Michael and Joanna did and go to room #304 that was used in the show.

I don't usually go to such lengths with tv shows, but it was pretty cool to be in the same place that I had just seen in the episode.

Wanted to share.

Knight of Sweden
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight of Sweden » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:37 am

nice :)
i live in sweden ;)
here noting happends =D

Knightwolf
Volunteer

Post by Knightwolf » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:11 am

I live near Chicago, so a few months ago I drove downtown to find the locations from KOTJ, I even took a few pictures of the Thortex building. I was also out in southern Cali back in 2002 so I went to see the house where Michael and Stevie were married in SOR...it was also the same house that was used in Hardcastle and McCormick

Has anyone ever found the hotel from Killer Kitt? It looks large enough that it would be hard to miss.

Knightwolf

KRFanCA
Volunteer

Post by KRFanCA » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:23 pm

Knightwolf - sounds pretty cool - where is the house from "The Scent of Roses"?

Did you visit the "Foundation" site in Pasadena or find any other locations?

I'd love to hear from anyone else who's found locations from the show. I know the Dam in Encino has been found, and some sites from Kitt vs Karr.

I think that the restaurant from "Scent of Roses" was in Covina - as was the chase scene from the counterfeit episode from season 1 (the name escapes me).

Stringfellow Hawke
Rookie

Post by Stringfellow Hawke » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:59 am

"Inside Out"?

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:07 am

KRFanCA wrote: I think that the restaurant from "Scent of Roses" was in Covina - as was the chase scene from the counterfeit episode from season 1 (the name escapes me).
The Final Verdict?

Would anyone happen to have photos of the film locations now? :wink:

-KITTfan-

Knightwolf
Volunteer

Post by Knightwolf » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:47 pm

The house from Scent of Roses is located in Malibu on PCH. It looks like it has fallen into disrepair, kinda sad

I didn't get a chance to find the foundation headquarters, I suppose I'll save that for my next trip, hopefully this summer.

Knightwolf

pdennis93
FLAG Recruit

Post by pdennis93 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:18 pm

Michael and Stevie were married in SOR...it was also the same house that was used in Hardcastle and McCormick
i didnt know "gulls way" was on Scent of roaes..i guess i never watched for it closely enough, im a big H&M fan and i remember reading that that house was for sale on PCH for around $3M

KnightRyderX
Volunteer

Post by KnightRyderX » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:25 pm

For the fun of it, while I was out yesterday, I decided to check it out. Sure enough, driving down the road, I saw the glass company and across the street was the hotel, called Traveler Inn.
Hi,

Is that the hotel on Sepulveda Blvd near Roscoe??? If not can you please post the address because I also live in Southern Cali (SF Valley) and would like to check it out. Thanks.

KRFanCA
Volunteer

Post by KRFanCA » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:22 pm

You know, I don't really remember the exact address - but it is on Sepulveda, north of Roscoe. I believe it is in the 8500 block or very close. It is called the Traveler Inn and will be on your left if you are driving north from Roscoe. Hope this helps! You'll know it as soon as you see it.

KnightRyderX
Volunteer

Post by KnightRyderX » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:28 am

^^^Yeah I drove by it today. It's at 8525 Sepulveda and I believe it's called the TRAVEL INN. I just wasn't sure that was the one you were talking about. I haven't seen "Mouth of the Snake" in a while now so I had a hard time recognizing it. Did you actually go up to the room? I drove (in circles) around the parking lot a few times before deciding that it was best to leave before someone thought I was a NUT.

Thanks for sharing again. This was my 3rd KR "film location" visit. It just feels so weird when you watch it on TV then you retrace Kitt's and Michael's steps. Can you tell I'm obsessed with KR! :)

Knight of Sweden
Operative

Post by Knight of Sweden » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:55 am

Please someone post some pictures :)
to us thats not able to go there :)

KnightRyderX
Volunteer

Post by KnightRyderX » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:56 am

^^I'll go there again this weekend and take some pictures. I need someone to host them on this site though.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:42 pm

Give me an email when you get the photos at neil at knightrideronline dot com and I'll be happy to host them for you!

Look forward to seeing them to see how the place has held up.
Last edited by neps on Tue May 17, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KnightRyderX
Volunteer

Post by KnightRyderX » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:13 pm

Thanks Neps! I'll try to go in the room and take a few pics from the inside as well. Maybe someone can post clips from the "Mouth of the Snake" episode so we can do a compare/contrast sort of thing.

KRFanCA
Volunteer

Post by KRFanCA » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:20 am

Wow - I'm glad to see my post has gotten some interesting responses! I think it is so cool to find the actual filming locations - it was a nice thrill to visit that location.

I doubt that you'll be able to get inside the room - without renting it, that is. When I visited the hotel, I did park on the street and I got out and walked around the grounds. Walked up the steps and got to the outside of the room, but I got some strange looks (which in today's world is understandable for a person wondering around a property!). The place has been repainted, the doors are now blue with different style numbers, but it looks pretty much the same. It was neat to stand in the same spot where KITT was parked in the scenes.

KnightRyderX - What were the other locations you found? I'd love to check them out.

KnightRyderX
Volunteer

Post by KnightRyderX » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:31 am

KnightRyderX - What were the other locations you found? I'd love to check them out.
"Dead Of Knight"- Small resteraunt of corner of Brooks Ave and the Venice Boardwalk (Venice Beach, CA). Several scenes from the episode where shot there including when Michael got poisoned drinking the "bad" orange juice and where the dancer rehearsed her routine. Remarkably the place still looks the same and it won't take you long to recognize it. I've actualy eaten there a couple of times myself (just no orange juice j/k).

"Brother's Keeper"-Alleyway near Buena Vista Blvd and Magnolia Ave (Burbank, CA) where KITT and another car did a chase scene. Michael was after the "bad guys" who were after Peter McCord. In that scene, KITT Turbo Boosts over a wall right behind a GoodYear tire store (which is still there). To my surprise, the wall was only 3 FEET high when I saw it in person...though watching it in the episode looked much taller.

Of course I've also visited the "Foundation" mansion in Pasadena, CA and passed by Whitman Airport (Van Nuys, CA) where the exploding plane scene from the pilot (also reused in "Dead of Knight").

If anyone else has other "Filming Locations"...please share. Thanks!

KRFanCA
Volunteer

Post by KRFanCA » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:04 pm

Speaking of the filming locations, does anyone know where the complex that was used as "Foundation Headquarters" in Junk Yard Dog is located? This complex has been used in Knight Rider a few times, as various locations, and has also been used in The Incredible Hulk.

Also - does anyone know where the Helios mansion is? This was also used various times and also appeared in Hart to Hart.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:25 pm

KnightRyderX wrote: Of course I've also visited the "Foundation" mansion in Pasadena, CA and passed by Whitman Airport (Van Nuys, CA) where the exploding plane scene from the pilot (also reused in "Dead of Knight").
Were you able to actually go inside the mansion and walk the grounds? It has been opened to the public for rare tours, but I've missed them.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com