Interesting reason why no Knight Rider Movie as of yet!

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knicks4973
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Interesting reason why no Knight Rider Movie as of yet!

Post by Knicks4973 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:45 am

I have an interesting reason why there has not been a Knight Rider movie. If you look at all the remakes like Starsky and Hutch, or going to be remade like Betwiched, Dukes of Hazzard, A-team, after these shows went off the air, that was it. After Knight Rider went off the air, there was a movie: Knight Rider 2000 and Team Knight Rider. Because those earlier shows just ended, it's easy to remake, while with KR, you now have 2 new timelines to contend with. Plus the fact you are dealing with a futuristic car that now should be even more powerful then it was in the 80's. I think it's much harder to remake a series after it not only ended, but had 2 timelines added afterwards. With the other shows, because they had 1 timeline, you can either rewrite it, make a prequel or have a continuation.

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:19 am

My revival plan includes both KR 2000 and TKR. The plan for a new series:

KNIGHT RIDER 2

Not shown, but mentioned, TKR died in the crash of SkyOne and the vehicles didn't survive because they did NOT have the MBS. Michael is called back from retirement and is promoted head of FLAG and finds a 11/12 year old boy who wants to fight crime and is a car and computer maniac, and the boy said he will work for the Foundation for free. Just like Wilton chose Michael, Michael chose Jan (pronounced Yan) because he felt that he could be the 'man to make a difference', just like he was in the eighties. Jan becomes Michael's assistant and through the series, they develop a friendship. Jan oversees KITT's reconstruction - KITT returns in the shape of the beloved Knight 2000, with the same old 1 TV dash and a modified SPM (no moving nose, the roof part does not anymore act as a EBS spoiler, instead, the little front 'winglets' are made to little popping out rocket boosters for the EBS).
The Knight 4000 was given a KITT-like microprocessor called KIFT. The Knight 4000 still has the red paint job, but this time has a green scanner. In the first episode (the movie being the pilot) KIFT gets a new dash, KITT dash inspired, but a little bit more futuristic (but VERY similar). KIFT has a different character than KITT - action-looking but sensitive and responsible and playful. KIFT gets the voice of Dante, but lower and slower.
Before reconstructing KITT, Michael had Knight Industries make a car for Jan. A silver 1982 Corvette with a blue scanner, KIST gets the voice of Peter Cullen, but a bit less robot-ish. KIST has his dash different to the others because of the interior setout of the Corvette. KIST is responsibe, loyal and totally dedicated. About functions - both KIFT and KIST have all the functions seen in the Knight 2000 in the original series.
The FLAG building is placed in Los Angeles (Seattle? No way) and the original FLAG logo is back. The building holds a main garage, a tech lab for maintaining the cars, Michael's office, Jan's little room and more. The FLAG building is connected with the Knight Industries building.
Shawn retired when TKR was created. KIFT is Michael's second car.
The series has 4 seasons, just like the original and is as much action-packed and is a LOT better than KR 2000 and TKR.

1st Season Premiere/Pilot - The Movie

2nd Season Priemiere - KIST is destroyed and a new Knight 6000 is made from a new Trans Am, with SPM and Twirl Turbo Boost and more.

3rd Season Priemiere - 'Double Return' Garth Knight escapes from prison (survived 'Goliath Returns', Adrianne didn't) and he has KARR's CPU put in a Pontiac Fiero with a scanner, but can't do anything except Auto Cruise. Jan and KIST lure KARR into Knight Industries telling him that if he stays with Garth he will be destroyed and if he joins the Foundation, he will be rebuilt. While KARR's new body (silver 82 TA, just like KITT with all KITT's functions and KARR's KvK voice because Jan likes it) is built for Jan's second car, KIST and Jan face their greatest challenge to date - Goliath Mark III, a all-new Goliath, with greater power from a modified turbine engine.

4th Season Priemiere - After discovering that a person made replicas of the TKR vehicles and put computers in them to rob banks, KIST and KIFT follow it. The person goes into a helicopter that is too far to Micro Jam. KIFT and KIST follow it to mountains. KIFT plans to Turbo Boost to the other side, but the helicopter fires a rocket and blows up a part of the rock mountain/canyon and KIFT falls down. The helicopter fires more rockets at him and KIFT's body is mucked up. He is rebuilt with SPM.

3rd/4th season episode - 'A Very Knight Christmas' This is a no-mission episode with the Foundation Christmas Ball on the 24th. Bonnie, April and RCIII are back and while Michael is busy with some guests, Jan takes them to the Main Garage and they are amused by the cars. Bonnie is shocked when she deduces that the KITT-like silver car with a yellow scanner is KARR. Becky also comes with them and KITT takes her for a 5 minute ride.

The original theme is kept and the intro is basically the same but has all the cars. The season 1 closer is very similar to the one in the original series.

Knight Storm
Rookie

Post by Knight Storm » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:17 pm

KARR Enigineer..I have to say that is the COOLEST thing I have read for a plot.

Nevar: Write a fanfiction series It would work.

Damien: We'd read it.

Uh yeah for those people who don't know these are my AI's Nevar and Damien.. Seeya!

Nevar: :? What we do?

Damien*Shrud* As if I'd know with her as our driver?

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:09 pm

Knight Storm, what the....?
Anyway, KARR Engineer, you've obviously put some thought into that! Very promising. However, a 11/12 year old?? Ummm....no. 20-ish, perhaps. I think we're all sick of the "child genius" character, ala Star Trek Next Gen. I like the idea of KARR & Goliath. I think the end of KvK left the opening for KARR's return, and Garth's surviving after going off the cliff is obvious. But KARR as a good guy?....nahhh. And let's not have too many cars, either. The TKR concept of having the driver's personality imbued into the car's AI was just plain silly, and really turned me off. So I'm glad you avoided that! So, who do you post these ideas to, now? David Hasselhoff? Maybe he'd appreciate the guidance! ;-)
:spmgo:
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

KnightRider2000
Operative

TV Show Plot

Post by KnightRider2000 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:26 pm

I got a plot:

Mitchell Thomas is 17, and a Junior at Roosevelt High School. He's a grease monkey, not too many friends, and HATES computer.

The new head of FLAG, a now wheelchair bound (accident in action) Michael Knight tries to get back to his roots.

While at a Museum, (both Michael and Mitchell are there) there is a heist. Mitchell fights the guards and saves Michaels life. All of a sudden on that day the kid’s parents get into a car crash and die, with no other living realtives.

Michael adopts Mitchell and he becomes a new crimfighter for FLAG.

Bonnie and April finish the Knight Industries Ten Thousand (KITT, A 2005 Ponitac Trans Am (a Mystery how they get a 2005 when they stopped production)), and Mitchell Thomas becomes Mitchell Knight! As he battles first dates, tests, homework, peer pressure, he also battle KARR, Goliath, and many more!

The whole sereis revolves around Mitch starting to repsect comptuers as he finds a new best friend, KITT.

Now THAT would be a good TV show.

-KnighRider2000

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:22 pm

Here's how to deal with KR 2k, KR 2010 and TKR for the new movie.

TKR is a sub-division of the Foundation that's only a foot note in Michael's and KITT's story during their retirement. (Before they return to the Foundation.)

KR 2010 was some B-grade movie that Michael insisted on seeing at a low budget movie theatre. (Because, it has as much to do with KR as The Road Warrior did. ("You'll pay for the death of The Night Rider!!!"))

KR 2000 went something like this...

The semi made it's way down a windy road in the middle of a dark night. Michael was trying to sleep in the forward room of the trailer as a bad dream finally let him wake...with a startling yell.

Devon rushes in to find out what's the matter, spotting a sweat coated Michael in the corner bed.

Michael: "Devon. You wouldn't believe this horrible nightmare I just had. It was the future and the law system was all strange with a system of freezing criminals until their prison time had expired and they were released, not a day older. Also, all guns were abolished. But, the criminals could still get them. You were in it, Devon. And, you gave approval to KITT's successor before you were killed off in a bad way. This newer car was poorly designed with no real image and a problem with sinking into rivers. But, it still gave some head of a terrible Foundation the right to tear KITT apart. (Mind you, Michael probably never knew what KITT really looked like from the components. Hince, all the weird parts they used in the movie. Like that "eye".) And, there was this woman. She was something like me. Only, she couldn't remember until she had a part of KITT inside her. I tell you, it was horrible, Devon. I was a fisherman in this nightmare. I ask you. Could I ever settle down and just be a hobby fisherman? Driving a Chevy? ..."

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:25 pm

After all, we all know how the "future" turned out. No removal of guns from the US. No shiney new cities. No sound stunner guns. Criminals don't go into cryo tubes. Yada, yada, yada...

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Re: Interesting reason why no Knight Rider Movie as of yet!

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:45 am

Knicks4973 wrote:I think it's much harder to remake a series after it not only ended, but had 2 timelines added afterwards. With the other shows, because they had 1 timeline, you can either rewrite it, make a prequel or have a continuation.
I disagree. Most people don't remember Team Knight Rider or the Knight Rider 2000 TV movie, so they can be ignored in the story of a movie. Having said that, I would prefer that -- if revived at all -- Knight Rider would be a "reboot" rather than a continuation.

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:20 am

Thanks for all the good comments! I appreciate it SO much.

Aussieknight: the 12-year-old is supposed to be played by ME.
I think KARR should end up a good guy.
I also made up a scene with Michael bringing flowers to Devon's grave.

By the way, the series is not aimed as a fanfic, it's aimed to be produced.

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:11 pm

jup wrote: The semi made it's way down a windy road in the middle of a dark night. Michael was trying to sleep in the forward room of the trailer as a bad dream finally let him wake...with a startling yell.
LOL, jup! :twisted:

But yes, I pretty much agree that they could completely ignore all but the original series in the movie. 'Movie people' seem to do that all the time. The Sci-Fi Battlestar Galactia mini series even ignored an original character's gender. :wink:

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:17 pm

Well, you can't really count KR2000 and KR2010 as movies, because both were failed pilots for spin-off series. However, they were released as TV movies. So, they don't count as movies because they were never conceived to be TV movies from the get go. Coca Cola is a good example of such a twist. It was originally intended to be medicine, but failed commercially. However, it was then turned into the soft drink market. Now over 1 billion gallons of Coke and its sister colas are consumed by people. Think about that.

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:53 am

I was just thinkin' about how they'd go about doing it, and you guys all came up with really good suggestions... CB2001 made a good point with the movies being pilots but would you guys still be okay with the new movie if it just decided to ignore KR2000? And what about TKR? I dunno, even though KR2000 could be considered a failed pilot, it still seems like a part of the KR universe... man, I'm just glad that I dun gotta be the one who has to take all these things into consideration, the script-writers got a lot waitin' for 'em... I just hope whatever they do turns out good :(

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:14 pm

SwEeTiNsAnItY wrote: I dunno, even though KR2000 could be considered a failed pilot, it still seems like a part of the KR universe...(
I think the only thing that might prompt them to keep the KR2000 timeline would be Devon's death. Since Edward Mulhare passed away, it kind of makes sense, but other than that, there are so many approaches they could take that would allow them to ignore KR2k. And since it was a TV movie that I don't believe got very good ratings (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that), it makes sense to me to ignore everything but the basics. Michael and Kitt -- most people who had a pulse in the 80s at least knew that much about Knight Rider. To appeal to a wide audience, I think they need to stick with that.

I have a lot of hopes for the movie, but staying strictly canon to all incarnations of the series is not necessarily on my wish list. :D

Knightling
Recruit

Post by Knightling » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:21 pm

It seems like there trying to re-make these tv shows into comedies...I do not want to see a comedy made from Knight Rider...Could this be a reason why we have not seen a movie or why one is not started yet?

Knightling

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:35 pm

having KR about a talking car would make it prone to it being developed into a comedy film but since Hasslehoff has the rights to the series, I don't think he'd let it become like that.

So I got faith in him.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;