Do you remember when KR was on in the 80's?

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Kirin
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Do you remember when KR was on in the 80's?

Post by Kirin » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:32 pm

I'm just wondering how many people here actually remember when Knight Rider was originally on NBC back in the 80's during it's 1982 to 1986 run? I was looking through people's ages here, and I feel like such an old man by seeing the ages and birth years of some of the kids around here. Kids born in the Late 80's or in the 90's are out of diapers and already old enough to post on message boards? Wow. So how many of us here were actually around back then for the real deal when KR originally aired ?

I was born in 1977 and I am 26 1/2 years old. I was 5 when KR first aired in 1982. But it appears anyone over 24 or 25, and can really remember things of substance (beyond baby rattles) about the 80's (and in some cases even the 90's) is like a senior citizen member around here. I mean it doesn't seem all that long ago back in the 1990's when if I mentioned I was 5 or 6 when KR first aired people thought I was just a kid. Now I guess it's, "Wow you are alive back in the 80's? You must be at the very least slouching towards 30"

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:56 am

Knight Rider aired during my 4 years of high school, so I remember many things about its original airings quite vividly. I was old enough to "research" the show while it was on. Of course we didn't have the internet, so I would ride my bike (and later drive) to the library to go through magazines and newspapers looking for articles about the show.

I WISH I was slouching towards 30!
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:29 am

i remember it. i was born in 80 so i don't have memories of it (besides all the stuff i got for christmases) before my parents divorced in 85...thats what i watched it EVERy other weekend at my dad's apt in Cincinatti.

Knight Newbie
Volunteer

Post by Knight Newbie » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:18 am

I remember when it aired. I believe it came on sunday nights?
The episode I vividly remember was Goliath.
I remember thinkin holy crap, kitt just got tore up... LoL
the good ole days, when life was innocent.

I am now 27... born in 76

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:55 am

Being 27 In April, I remember watching all four seasons from 1982-1986 (that would put me as a 5 yr old to a 9 yr old) and I remember always wanting to watch it Friday nights along with my brother that first season.

Of course I still remember that Sept when Knight of the Juggernaut was premiering, because it was the last week that a kid on the block I had known for years was moving and I didnt want to say goodbye to him and his mother.

It was actually this kid (his name was Henry) who was into breakdancing, Micheal Jackson and music who had this huge poster of Micheal Knight with KITT on his wall. To this day I think I have seen this poster come on EBAY just once, but I would buy it if I saw it again.

Hell this kid also had every transformer including Optimus Prime....man those were the days....

*Slaps himself out of the reality that was the 80's*

Richie

KnightRiderFanForever
Stranger

Post by KnightRiderFanForever » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:59 am

I remember seeing it very well. My favorite episode was always Chariots Of Gold. I was 13 when it first came on the air. I Remember seeing promos for it during some other NBC show. I was very excited to see the first show. It was on Sundays to begin with, but switched to Fridays....much to my horror. I was in band and played at the games (Basketball and football) and of course they were on Fridays. I took my own money and bought our familys very first VCR. Had to convince my dad that "contraption" was not going to ruin the televison. I had all the episodes on VHS, but had a fire years ago and they were ruined. I watched them hundreds of times though. I am very disappointed that it is not coming back on Sci Fi! :?

excalibur
Recruit

Post by excalibur » Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:20 pm

Um.. I got you all beat!! I'm 47. OK, is there anyone older than me out there?? :lol: If so, please post!! Don't be shy!! Come on, I know you're out there. :wink:

I was 26 when it aired on Sunday nights. My husband and I never missed an episode. Our favorite is Goliath. Wish we would have had a VCR back then to record them, since what we're viewing today has scenes cut out. Through the years, we've seen it air on several different cable channels. If one discontinues it, it will eventually appear on another channel, hopefully it won't be too long of a wait. So take heart!! We are currently viewing it on a local cable channel and re-recording the series on VHS.

It's great to see a new generation of fans that weren't even old enough at the time it originally aired, enjoying Knight Rider today. And for us older people - hey, once a fan, always a fan. Glad to see there are so many resources out there on the internet for KR fans.

"Age is a state of mind" - don't know who said it, but it's true :wink:

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:18 pm

Thanks to the way technology keeps advancing and such, I get the feeling that, someday, there will never be an episode of TV...or radio...that can't be accessed on demand by anyone who is willing to 'tune in/download/...or whatever it may be called in the future'. What a wonderful notion that is.

I don't think I caught very many KR episodes during the NBC days, being a one set (black and white, no less) family. Then again, I can't remember much from those days. Only the little tidbit or two...

greelywinger
Rookie

Post by greelywinger » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:42 pm

KR's original run was on when I was in HS.
I remember seeing the add for the pilot in TV guide and getting curious.
I don't remember much about the TV promos for the pilot.
It was on a Sunday night, and since I never really watched much Sunday night TV (I thought I'd give it a shot).
The first part of the pilot was a blur to me.
I remember what moment got me to really stand up and take notice was this incredible car. Still remember the scene like it was yesterday.
Where Devon hits the hood of the car as hard as he can with a hammer and it didn't even make a mark. Also remember my first look at the dashboard (this looks like Darth Vader's bathroom).
I think the episode that made me realise that this was more than a show with a cool car was Whitebird.
By the time JYD came out, I had begun to think of KITT as a person.
[/i]
"I'd like my songs to be durable to the ear and exciting to the mind" Marc Bolan

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:14 pm

I first saw Knight Rider in 1995. I can remmember watching KOTP when Devon told Michael to hit Kitt's pauntjob with an hammer. I thought Kitt's name was Kidd.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:25 pm

Born in 81, I remember patches of it here and there. Faintly remember Goliath and how shocked I was when KITT got all bashed up.

I remember Juggernaut and JYD very well and a lot of other s4 eps.

I obviously don't remember the pilot when it first aired, however, there were re runs in the 80's of it and remember them well.

Oh, and I have a few original showings of the eps on tape such as Knightmares, Cadiz, Big Iron, Let it Be Me...basically season 2 eps. Had some season 3's too but they got wiped over with Baywatch. Ok, ok, I know...a sin!

:shock:

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:53 pm

I was six when Knight Rider debuted. (Yes, the age listed in my profile is slightly exaggerated.) I remember the show pretty well. The one shot that I remember most is from the series premiere, the shot in which Michael Long is shot while standing in front of his Trans Am. That was pretty scary for a six-year-old attending a Christian school. :shock:

Christine Silver
Recruit

Heh...

Post by Christine Silver » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:30 am

Hmm, it seems I'm rather lucky being born in a small and backward European country (Hungary). By us, the series was first aired in 1992. I was 12 that time so I remember some scenes... And they seem to seep back into my mind as I sink further down into the fandom... ^_^

In the Hungarian dub, KITT had a low and very manly voice. I remember that I loved him really. I had a slight David Hasselhof-addiction those days too...

Still, I wish I was born earlyer. I love the 80's! ~sniff~

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Re: Heh...

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:34 am

Christine Silver wrote:Still, I wish I was born earlyer. I love the 80's! ~sniff~
Heh heh. Don't worry. As time goes on, eventually you'll wish you were born later. :lol:

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:18 am

Hey, at least the 80's are starting to get popular again.

Jake
Recruit

Post by Jake » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:55 pm

I remember it very well when Knight Rider was on Finnish TV in the 80´s. It started in January 1984 and ended in August 1987. Knight Rider was an important part of my childhood. In Finland, the most people consider Knight Rider as an "children´s entertainment" because the most viewers in the 80´s were kids. I don´t agree with that. I think that Knight Rider is more like "family entertainment" that is suitable for people of all ages. People of all ages can enjoy KR in their own ways. I enjoyed Knight Rider when I was a kid in a different way than I enjoy it nowadays. Almost every time I watch an episode of KR, I find the new interesting points which I haven´t thought of before. For example, I have found some references or similarities to other movies, books etc.

KittandChips
Volunteer

Post by KittandChips » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:28 pm

Knight Rider took a few years to reach New Zealand tv, but I do remember it used to screen on Fridays, at 8pm. I was so young at the time, there were many arguments about being allowed to stay up to watch it, lol. And I agree with the other comments about how traumatic it was seeing Kitt destroyed in some of the eps ... my brothers always had to reassure me that he wasn't gone for good, lol.

dragonball1957
Operative

Post by dragonball1957 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:56 pm

excalibur wrote:Um.. I got you all beat!! I'm 47. OK, is there anyone older than me out there?? :lol: If so, please post!! Don't be shy!! Come on, I know you're out there. :wink:

I was 26 when it aired on Sunday nights. "Age is a state of mind" - don't know who said it, but it's true :wink:

:lol: Awwww DONT WORRY!! , my Father and Mother is the same Age as you .my father got me into it but now thinks its silly and hates it , but im keeping the legacy alive

He used to be a KnightRider Fan as well , Hes the one who got me into it as a child . I was born in 1985 November 5th
When i started watching it though it use to be on Channel 9 (wasnt called UPN back then) i was like 3 until the last year in kingergarden.

I also remember the Knight Rider Marathon , They showed KNIGHTRIDER 6 hrs a day for 3 days straight before it when off local TV for good , and my mother recorded it for me . (Gota love yo moma for Sho!!)

I also remeber that Kitt had Transformed into some Strange Lookings vehicle , but was too young to even remember what it was and its name .

Now since it started back on sci-fi its SuperPursuitMode lol .

Also the Theme song , it sounds soo damn good , I got all 4 intros and play them with the repeat button set in W.M.P. loud for hours .

anyway dont feel bad about that age thing , i remember everything from the year '85 and up and the 80s went by really fast . i just hope i dotn get there that fast . :cry:

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:58 pm

The Real Michael Knight wrote:Hey, at least the 80's are starting to get popular again.
Tell me about it. I saw a pair of hot pink and lime green Kangaroos at Finish Line the other day. :D

I was a fan of Knight Rider at the age of three (no, seriously, I remember, it was at my old house) (I was born in '86). I don't remember anything distinct about the show except for an image of me in my older brother's room, eating these little chocolate chips that were covered with white sprinkles, seeing the opening credits and saying "The talking car!" :lol: Though I'm just now becoming a major fan of the show, I've always loved "that talking car" :P