What's your least favorite of Kitt's functions to write?

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightshade
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

What's your least favorite of Kitt's functions to write?

Post by knightshade » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:07 pm

I'm just wondering if any other fic writers out there find that Kitt's functions have a nasty tendancy to get in the way of a good story. :D

For me, it's usually Kitt's scanners. There's usually something I don't want him to see, and darn it if I don't run out of excuses for him not to be able to see it.

Anyone else?

Old Man Miles
Recruit

Post by Old Man Miles » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:18 am

I agree. I had that same problem when I was writimg my fan fic story. (althought this is now gone) I do think that KITTs scanners were actually my biggest problem. No other functions really got in the way though, although I didnt finish the story before my computer crashed.

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:23 pm

Yeah, that scanners are a pain in my fan fic. With holograms and stuff... Its makes it harder for KITT to be tricked. But thst goes with the story in the end.

ramon88us
FLAG Recruit

Post by ramon88us » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:24 pm

I had no problems with that in my fanfic.

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:25 pm

Hmm, I was thinking that Turbo Boost was going to be a more popular answer. I don't write many chases, but it seems to me that Turbo Boost might be kind of a pain if you did write them. It seems like the writers of the show had problems with it (how many pedestrians and busy intersections were there :wink: ).

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:11 pm

One problem I saw in the episodes was with the microjam... Sometimes KITT had almost magical powers to control distant objects- both mechanically and electrically. In most car chases, KITT could have simply done something to the engine to make the car slow down. Occasionally they would throw in a line like "there are too many people around- if we try to microjam him he might lose control of the car" but I don't think that's a very good excuse.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:20 pm

Yeah good point, microjam gave KITT great power.... By the way, why didn't they microjam the J. in KNOTJ? To late I guess...

No I think turbo boost would be fine, you don't have to think about how it could be gone on screen! Its all in the mind! :D

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:11 pm

Super Pursuit Mode- Definately one of the hardest functions to write. How can you depictate the feeling of the speed that SPM has, instead of using the regular monotonic words and phrases that are used to describe speed like "fast", "rapid" and "bat out of hell".

VorpalKITT
Volunteer

Post by VorpalKITT » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:28 pm

I have to agree with CB2001, SPM is really hard to write with. I normally go with a mix of seasons for Kitt's functions.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:07 pm

I know the best excuse for why MicroJam isn't always used. Michael just does not remember it's there. ;)

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:37 am

Why Michael and Kitt didn't use Microjam more often in car chases. Why would they want to give up on a good car chase. I think they just outright enjoyed them.

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:02 am

knightshade wrote:Hmm, I was thinking that Turbo Boost was going to be a more popular answer.... It seems like the writers of the show had problems with it (how many pedestrians and busy intersections were there :wink: ).
The next time you go driving, especially in an urban or suburban area, take a look at your surroundings, and I think you'll find that there are a lot fewer opportunities to use a turbo boost function than you might think. Suspended power lines, overpasses, high traffic, and curves in roads have a nasty way of keeping a super car grounded. :o

The micro-jam was often misused and overused on the TV series, although it wasn't as bad as KITT's magical ability to unlock mechanical locks by simply displaying a computer diagram of the lock on one of his TV sets. :lol:

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:23 am

Unlocking doors is apart of MicroJam's 'magic' function.

Remember that if KITT and KARR were to virtually 'arm wrestle' via their MicroJam abilities, KARR would win...*cough*...'hands' down.