Model Kit Conversion Tips (or making a simple KAR model)

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

CB2001
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by CB2001 » Mon May 24, 2004 3:48 pm

Whew! Just now thinking about it, I think it's taken me two years just to get the whole group done. That's a long time. But then again, better late than never.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sun May 30, 2004 12:23 pm

I really don't want this post to drift off guys. Anyone who has any KR related models, constructed or construction in progress, post the links here.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:20 am

Love thy neighbour, BUMP his post.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:30 am

Okay, I've got a question for you guys about the original KITT model.

Now, I noticed that behind the front wheel wells on the fenders that there are vents. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall KITT ever having those. Did he? If not, then MPC got them wrong (which wouldn't be a surprise, seeing that some of the movie and TV show related kits are retooled). I could swear I don't ever remember KITT having those vents.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:17 pm

Okay, better question: Who here has thought about making a SKAR model?

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:06 pm

Ummm....you seem a bit lonely in here CB2001. I'm (very slowly) building a 1:24 KITT model, but the nose on the bugger is so wrong out-of-the-box, it's very disheartening. I'm a bit of a fussy bugger, see. The dash is going to light up, and I'm going to fit a PIC microprocessor-controlled LED scanner. All takes time, though. :-)
:spmgo:
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:13 pm

Aussie, sounds like you're got a lot on your plate. Is your KITT model a conversion project (I mean, taking a regular Trans-Am model and then converting it over into a KITT model) or is it the reprint by AMT/ERTL or one of the original MPC models?

I myself still have plans on working on my diecast modern KITT. I'm trying to think of what alterations I could make to the metal body using epoxy. But, of course, before I can get to that, I have a Firebird 400 I need to work on to make it look like Niobe's Firebird from "The Matrix Reloaded" and "Enter the Matrix".

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:46 am

Mine's an AMT, but years ago I had two that may have been MPC's, I guess. The first thing to go is the "Knight 2000" lettering on the nose! But yeah, I usually dive in too deep. The electronics side is no big deal, but getting to the point that I can place it on a shelf, and then not decide to rip it down again and FIX it, might take a while.
:kittspin:

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:11 am

Modeling building- a true love/hate relationship.

82TransAm
Recruit

Post by 82TransAm » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:29 pm

anyone have a simple plan for putting actual electronics in the AMT version? I Just finished both the K.I.T.T. TA and the KR 2000 version. Now I am just wating on getting a 57 chevy just to have all the vehicles hes been in.

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:26 am

If you rip out the engine, you have plenty of room for a small circuit, like this for example: http://www.talkingelectronics.com/Proje ... nerP1.html
My original was like that one, except it used a 555 timer instead of two transistors. My next circuit will be simpler again, using a PICAXE IC which is completely configurable and adjustable timing-wise. It also can be made to light up all LED's before scanning, as well as driving 8 LED's instead of 6, like the above kit. Just a few small details, but they add to the realism. :-)
:spmgo:

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:27 pm

Bump.

82TransAm
Recruit

Post by 82TransAm » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:23 am

and where does one aquire said board? The comps are easy enough to pick up at the local Radio Shack store, but the board???

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:14 am

I don't know exactly where you can buy one, but a while back I found a website that had them in the UK.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:59 pm

Hey, here's the link to the site I was talking about: http://knightlight.co.uk/

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:59 am

Nahhh...you don't want one of those. They're not accurate anyway, being stacks of little lights rather than 8 individual lamps. Something like this:
http://www.electronics123.com/amazon/ca ... c3-3-6.htm
Or this:
http://www.sebas.vic.edu.au/links/tech/ ... rc001.html
Or if you're technically inclined, this:
http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl/pads/kitscan.html

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:47 pm

I'm telling you, I think there should be a website about "Knight Rider" related models, with tips and tricks for creating "kars" and various models that were inspired by "Knight Rider", not just KR buildups alone.

Also, I lost my can of Kandy Purple Pearl, so I bought another one. Also, I know this is an odd question, but what's the difference between acrylic enamel and just enamel? I was wondering this because the Kandy Purple Pearl is enamel and I have worked with acrylic enamel for a while.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:15 pm

(in the tune of the "Little Drummer Boy") Oh bump, they neighbour's post, badrump pump pump BUMP!

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:45 am

Helpful Tip for KR modelers: Is there anyone here who is unsatisfied with their paint job on their KITT model? Do you feel that the car should be a different color? Did you overspray paint onto it? Did the paint bubble up during the drying process? No problem. You can strip it with Easy-Off oven cleaner!

That's right, Easy-Off, either the blue or the orange can. All you do is spray and wait two hours before you get any results. And if there's any more places on a model that needs paint removed, just spray another coat on there and wait for anothet two hours.

Also, you can use bleach to remove the paint, but it takes a while longer, anywhere between 8 hours and 24+ hours (I tested it out, it took the bleach I purchased 26 hours before any paint came off).

Just another helpful tip for any modelers, especially KR modelers.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:02 pm

I just bought another diecast 1999 Pontiac Trans-Am Firebird from "Toys R' Us", made by MotorMax. It's exactly the same as the Testor's model. I bought it with the intention of making a modernized version of KARR to go with the diecast KITT I'm working on.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:02 am

I just heard something go BUMP in the night.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:43 am

Update: I'm having trouble with my airbrush. It appears that I need to get some more of the small plastic tubs that dip down into the 1/2 ounce jar and draws up the paint so that it could be airbrushed on. So, that means that until I do, Niobe's Firebird is on hold.

However, I have taken the time to work on the moden die-cast KITT, the one with slight modeifications. However, I just may have it as KITT for right now and then change it to KARR at a later date. I have bought a can of "Universal Black" (no pun intented) by Dupli-Color, seeing that I ran out of the flat black. I'm going to be trying it out tomorrow. If it looks good, then I'll use it for the next die-cast "kar" model. If not, worst case scenario, I'll strip the paint off of it with Easy-Off Over cleaner.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:35 pm

The Duli-Color paint is great. You can spray multiple coats onto it and do it all in one day!

Also, found a Licnese Maker website where you can create license plates with your own numbers for them. This may have been posted here at the website a while back, because I remember finding the website via a BBoard (not sure if it was this one or not). So, I decided to take it upon myself to do modern KITT and KARR license plates.
For KITT's, it's still KNIGHT (seeing that it's six digits).
For KARR, seeing that for real vehicles, it needed to be six digits too, I went with the following: KARR01 (seeing that he is the first knight vehicle and he would have to be designated with his name and what version he fits as.).

I've also done a few more for a couple of other car models I plan on doing. You can check out ACME Licnese Maker here: http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:54 am

Seeing this is both "Knight Rider" and model related: I came across this model article, which is actually the top ten Guy TV-Car shows list, and in the blue boxes, they include information on kits that you can use to make representations for cars featured in the shows. "Knight Rider" is Number 10. It makes mention of not just the first show, but its spin-offs as well, and includes model suggestions for the kits.

http://members.aol.com/styrenearc/priva ... arguy.html

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:59 am

(to the tune of "Thumping on Your Stereo") Can you hear me, BUMPING up the post?