Model Kit Conversion Tips (or making a simple KAR model)

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

CB2001
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by CB2001 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:14 am

Neps- Cool. :)

KARR- Thanks. I found the model at one of the previous Moultre Car Show and Automotive Swap Meets. Though its not the "flare side" that the real vehicle was, I was trying to go for best representation other than accurate representation.

TBH, if there was someone out on the net making resin KITT parts for models, I would have the dashs of all vehicles have KITT's dash. Though, I doubt it'd be a good idea, seeing that the dashes for TKR weren't exactly detailed (or fully covered on the show like KITT's dash was).

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:09 am

I've found some epoxy that will help me out in getting the wheels attached to the Expedition and also plug up the holes currently in the chasis with the intent of drilling new holes that are a lot lower (so that the vehicle rides at the height I'd like for it to do.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:44 pm

For the "Domino" model- I have painted the bottom chasis and have some of the bottom assembled so that it appears to be a completely assembled. I'ge got the hood glued down to the body, the back portion of the headlights glued in place and may soon assemble all piece. However, I'm going to have to do a light touchup on one of the portions of the racing stripes becaue when I tried to glue the back tail light on the trunk, the glue came out and it removed the paint from it (it's a simple fix). After completion of "Domino" I will complete "Dante".

82TransAm
Recruit

Post by 82TransAm » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:26 pm

Anyone know where I can get a good pic of the Semi? I picked up a cheap Truck that would make a perfect conversion but I need to take a look at the pics to get the painting and color schemes correct.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:43 pm

Well, I know this is for another toy, but its a start for your conversion quest, 82TransAm. The pictures are small, but a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step: http://www.yoyo-kikaku.org/knight/items ... ars19.html

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:37 pm

Thats an interesting semi, I really dig the cut away option into the truck. Is that an old item or a new one?

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:21 am

I don't know. I used the image search for "FLAG semi" and that popped up.

vampire knight
Rookie

Post by vampire knight » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:42 pm

Have you guys seen Knightdrivers 1:8 scale KITT?

http://knightdriver.com/current8thkitt.html

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:26 pm

Not bad, Knight Driver! I can't wait to see the end result.

This is what I think the post should be about: Knight Rider fans giving off posts about models of "Knight Rider" vehicles that they are making or giving off tips and links for sites taht can help in the conversion of their models.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:19 pm

Quick question for you. I assume you've heard of tamiya spray paints for plastic. They come in cans....but what are they exactly? acrylics, enamels or lacquers? I'm not entirely sure.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:39 pm

I guess they're just a brand of paint. I myself haven't used them because I do not know any stores that carry them, which forces me to use Testors paint, as well as Sharpies.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:10 pm

Yes they are a brand of spray paint but what specifically are they made of. If for example, I use an acrylic paint then washed a model in enamel thinned paint (to create a wash), I would then be able to use enamel thinner to clear any overspills without ruining the acrylic finish. Now as I don't have the faintish idea what spray paints are, then I can't really use that wash technique as the spray paint could be enamel based...thus messing up the wash technique....does that make any sense?

Sarfraz

vampire knight
Rookie

Post by vampire knight » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:44 pm

Well after doing a simple search on google I found this on Tamiya's site.
These cans of spray paint are extremely useful for painting large surfaces. The paint is a synthetic lacquer that cures in a short period of time. Each can contains 100ml of paint, which is enough to fully cover 2 or 3, 1/24 scale sized car bodies. Tamiya spray paints are not affected by acrylic or enamel paints. Therefore, following the painting of the entire assembly, details can be added or picked out using enamel and/or acrylic paints. By combining of three different paints, the decoration of plastic models will become simpler and more effective.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:19 pm

Ahhhhh, that makes sense, so its a synthetic lacquer. Thank you vampire knight.

Sarfraz

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:44 pm

neps wrote:Thats an interesting semi, I really dig the cut away option into the truck. Is that an old item or a new one?
Its hard to say. Firstly I translated the page to get more clues. It seems that the trailer has a gimmick which launches KITT out of the semi.

Box style looks very old school. The text seems to be in past-tense (eg was rather than is) so I'll assume that this was an old product. Only made for the Japan-market...according to the text.

Sarfraz....grrrrr I want one! its not that expensive (£15)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:15 pm

if it is a retro product, then wouldn't the £15 price tag be from back then as well? Would be a great piece to the collection there sarfraz, especially the eject feature.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:27 am

I tell you one thing, using Sharpie perminant markers are good with detailing. However, you have to watch it when it comes to gluing pieces together that you have used Sharpies on. They tend to "bleed" out into the glue. However, the thin tip kind can squeeze into the hard to get notches that the regular markers can't reach.

Also, I have used an orange highlighter to add the orange detail to the turning signals on the headlight portion for "Domino". I had to be careful when using them, because the orange rubbed off on my fingers.

Also, I have cracked the original windshield for the model, as well as my small parts box windshield that I had to modify to replace it. So, I'm planning on using a thin flimsy bendible plastic to replace the windshielf. It's the same kind of plastic used to cover an action figure you see in the stores. But I may end up biting the bullet and using the original windshield (it's a small crack, no bigger than the tip of a sharp #2 pencil in length). If someone has a tip on smoothing over the crack and making it seem as if it was never cracked in the first place, I'm willing to listen. But like I said, I may go for the flimsy plastic. (the same kind of plastic I used for the door windows in my "Beast" model).

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:59 am

neps wrote:if it is a retro product, then wouldn't the £15 price tag be from back then as well? Would be a great piece to the collection there sarfraz, especially the eject feature.
True, still £15 seems cheap even back then. Just had a look over the rest of the site. It shows the old ERTL 1/32 or 1/28? scale car in the same style packaging, so it pretty much confirms that the truck is old. I'm amazed this didn't even come out in the states....what was ERTL thinking?

Also came across something alittle rare:
http://www.yoyo-kikaku.org/knight/items ... ars15.html

...seems that the Japanese version of the first KR RC car talked! I have two UK variants, none talk, what about the US? this is the first I've heard of this.

Sorry CB2001, for taking this off topic of the intended content. That site seems to have pulled up a few questions.

Sarfraz

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:29 am

It's no problem, sarfraz

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:23 pm

You know, just now thinking about it: Remember that post for the ERTL Trans-Am toy that someone suggested making into a replica of KITT, KARR or SKAR? Well, I was just thinking: Why not just by the latest print of the KITT model by AMT/ERTL and make that into a model of SKAR? I've thought about doing it, but I've still got a list of car models that I need to get through.

Also, I have considered on putting together a Charger and a F-100 model and convertiing them over into KAM and KIFT from my "Team Renegade Knight Rider" series. However, as I've stated before I've got a list of models to get through before I can do more. I have found a site online that still has some "Knight Rider" reprint models available (I may purchase one, dispite many complaints about how the model isn't accurate to the car on the show or to the original model. If you think about it, the original model wasn't as accurate as the car in the show. I mean, I don't recall seeing "Knight 2000" on the bumper of the car in the show. So, it doesn't make much of a difference for me).

TKR models completed:
1. Beast aka Attack Beast

TKR models One Step away from completion:
1. Domino (need to add new windshield
2. Dante (just need to redrill wheel holes and new holes in the chasis and assemble the model).

Misc. Models-
1. Niobe's Firdbird 400, as seen in "The Matrix Reloaded" and "Enter the Matrix"
2. Cobra 1.0, model representation of a car from the story idea, "Matthew".
3. Lanigiro, a car that will require some scratchbuilt and kit bashed parts, inspired by the story idea, "Power Play.
4. The General Lee, from the Dukes of Hazzard
5. The Diecast KITT, the original diecast model I told you guys about that I am converting into a modernized KITT
6. S.T. Carpenter, a space ship from a story idea called "Void", where most of the story takes place.
(Any additional models to be added will be announced later)

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:37 pm

Vampire Knight- Did you do the scuplt for the hood and front bumper to your 1/8 scale replica of KITT? If so, then I think there should be more KR fans like you who are able to do that. I mean, if fans who do car models could find KITT parts and customize their cars, it'd be a unifying relationship between fans in the model hobby.

BTW, are you planning on doing one for KARR as well?

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:18 pm

While surfing around for any possible "Knight Rider" related model car parts, I used Yahoo! and found the following sites:

1. Kat's 1/16th scale KITT model, which she says she started work on three months after the show first began, prior to MPC's releasing of the 1/25 scale KITT- http://www.katmeyer.serverpro2.com/Othe ... ns_am.html

2. Fantastic plastic, a UK website of car models that represent those seen in TV shows and films. This person has plans on doing KARR. Nice models, too- http://www.mustang5.freeserve.co.uk/page14.htm

rockykabir
Volunteer

Post by rockykabir » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:58 pm

I was jus wonderin (its a bit offtopic but ontopic as well ;) ) whether anyone has got that A-Team van from the fantastic plastic website?

OK - bit of a wild shot, but do you know whether that can be fitted onto a Mini Z chassis (the same one used for the Skynet RC KITT)?

Or do you know whether the Knight Rider model (from the same company AMT) fits onto the Mini Z chassis?

I wanna race the A-Team van and KITT :D

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:12 am

Rocky- I've been to that site. I thought about ordering two KITT models from there (both of them being Trans-Ams, not the KR2000 KIFT vehicle). Why do you ask? Have you not received the A-Team van kit you ordered from them? Or have you yet to order from them?

I'm not sure about the Mini Z. I know that a couple of people here have found websites in the past related to Mini Zs and the Skynet RC KITT that you made reference to.

rockykabir
Volunteer

Post by rockykabir » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:38 pm

CB2001 wrote:Rocky- I've been to that site. I thought about ordering two KITT models from there (both of them being Trans-Ams, not the KR2000 KIFT vehicle). Why do you ask? Have you not received the A-Team van kit you ordered from them? Or have you yet to order from them?

I'm not sure about the Mini Z. I know that a couple of people here have found websites in the past related to Mini Zs and the Skynet RC KITT that you made reference to.
LoL, nah basically I've got my hands on a 2nd hand mini-z yesterday and thought of ordering the A-Team van to stick onto it. I registered to a couple of RC forums and they say that it is possible to attach the van onto a mini-z chassis but with a couple of minor alterations.

What I've decided to do instead is to leave the mini-z for the KITT body and buy a cheapo mini 1/28 RC car for the A-Team Van - especially as its a lot slower than KITT in real life(!). If anyone is interested in doing the same I'll probably buy this:

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/880_1_1002087.html

BTW: The skynet RC KITT model is actually a Kyosho Mini-Z RC - only the box packaging has been rebranded.

Can't wait for those A-Team and Knight Rider duels!