An Important Message about KITT Conversions!

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

msKEN
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by msKEN » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:11 am

Ok I had to highly edit this post as I have talked to the original owner of this car... mark's description of the vehical is VERY misleading, but whatever, thats on him, not me. I'll just say you wont find this same car in any episode of Knight Rider, because it wasn't even screen used.

The car has no title to it, and is exactly why you are only getting a bill of sale. You can not register or insure a car that has no title, at least not in the USA that I'm aware of. I've read that you can rebuild the title, but the original owner has to be deceased and have not willed (proper termonolgy anyone?) it to anyone. That may be false, but thats the problem I ran into when trying to buy a 57 Bel-Air someone had rotting in there driveway. It belonged to a grandfather who had willed it to his grandson, and the grandson didn't want it, but he didn't want to sell it either. So the parents tried to sell it to me behind his back and it caught up with them later when I went threw the title rebuilding process. lol. Needless to say I got my money back.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:19 am

So it was just a stunt car or something that was just never used.

I'm really confused.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

ramon88us
FLAG Recruit

Post by ramon88us » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:20 am

Was this car ever driven by Hasselhoff himself?

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:23 am

I think I'm starting to see why this car and his standard turn key vehciles are in the same price range.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:25 am

Army_F_Body wrote:So it was just a stunt car or something that was just never used.

I'm really confused.
This car was built for intended show use, but ended up becoming a tour car for parades, chairty events, and the ect. (hence why it plugged into the wall) The car has no real documentation of history of everywhere its been or rather or not Hasselhoff has even sat in it (even so every inch of the original interrior is all gone), but the fact is the car was built for intended use in the show, and was/is in fact owned by Universal, but ended up just becoming a prop for other events.
Last edited by msKEN on Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:27 am

OK, that explains why it has (had) a more detailed interior than the standard stunt car.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:36 am

Army_F_Body wrote:I think I'm starting to see why this car and his standard turn key vehciles are in the same price range.
Well technically this car is useless as far as being able to drive on the road. You are paying more for the fact that is was built and owned by Universal. But the fact that Mark had it gutted just makes it a worthless Pontiac in my opinion. If you can't drive it on the street or have it legally registered and insured... I mean what's the point? Might as well pay a little more for his legal turnkey. Now had he restored the original electronics, dash, and consoles, scanner, and the etc., all of which were in fact original parts.... then the car would be well worth it just to have it for a personal collectors item. To me anyway. But instead your stuck with a replica car that was once an original that you can't do anything with but claim it was once original at one time... kind of a dumb investment if you ask me... lol

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:15 pm

Now had he restored the original electronics, dash, and consoles, scanner, and the etc., all of which were in fact original parts.... then the car would be well worth it just to have it for a personal collectors item.
Yeah. That's what I thought he was doing. If that was the case then the 39k would be a steal for a car like that.

Oh well. Out of my range no matter what the car is. At least the old 92 I'm converting will be drivable, registered, insured, and for the most part legal when it gets done.

KnightRider2000
Operative

KITT

Post by KnightRider2000 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:37 pm

Sorry guys, his website was VERY misleading, and i thought it was an actually filmed car. Even in the restoration section it sounded like that. Guess paying an extra thousand for a legal replica is better than paying a thousand less for an illegal restoration of a back-up car. Thanks for checking it out MSken.

-Knight Rider2000

KnightRider2000
Operative

Re: KITT

Post by KnightRider2000 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:40 pm

Wait a minute, on his page he said it was used on-screen. That's a little bit more than misleading if you ask me........ don't you guys think so?

-KnightRider2000

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:09 pm

Thats so awesome! But its the season 1 dash! I want the season 3 dash! :(

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:12 pm

Yes... I want later seasons to. I never really liked the 2 TV dash!

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:54 pm

Why do so many conversions such as this insist on using white lettered tires?

I guess they think it looks better with them? I just think it ruins the look and originality of KITT, since I don't remember him ever having them in the series... Why spend so much time and money to get everything right, and then screw it up by using the wrong tires? I don't get it...

SH

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:11 pm

I hate advertising, so I go for the black walls on mine.

I agree it looks cleaner with out the lettering.

I guess some people want to advertise the fact that they have fancy tires or something. Some people take pride in the fact that they paid way to much for their tires.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:53 pm

Hi,

In regards to Mark's KITT not being a screen used one, I have some information that really points to it being used in the series. When we interviewed Jack Gill (Stunt driver for the series), we specifically took him to Mark's restoration page to see if that, in fact, was a true original. Jack was able to point out several things in the car that he personally installed, such as the line locks. He recognized his work and was positive that not only was this car used in the series, BUT it was one that Hasselhoff drove. He said that he installed the line lock in that car specifically for him. He also said that they put a stronger engine in the car, instead of opting for the 305.

Joe

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

VIN number locations?

Post by sheltonw3 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:17 pm

I just spoke to retired guy from GM and he told me that some cars have had vin numbers located in 3 places, the first being at the bottom of a windshield and the second being on the door above or below the locking section and the 3rd I found to be interesting?...he said that some cars had a vin tacted undenieth to the chassis?...I don't know for sure yet ,but if that is true then you maybe able to find a way to register it or like every other desperate person you could always snag a vin number of another t/a in the junkyard with the license plates and get the title transferred in your name and if you know someone that can fabricate a vin plate and rivet it on for you?...then wahlah you are an onwer of a trans am!

My step dad did this one time only he bought a broke down chevy pick-up same year and make and he needed to his running truck registered ,but he was very inpatient and took the vin and everything else off the broke down truck over to the road worthy truck that was running and he has had no problems and he was even stopped by the police and bought the whole registration gag ,hook,line and sinker!...not to mention he drove over 1800 miles and back without a snag!

So that so called screen used car could be registered and or you can use the vin of an existing trans am that is in your name as long as you change the vin on the vehicle ,my best friends landlord onwed 2 minted conditioned trans ams and it caught my full attention that the cars both had the same license plate numbers!...the landlord stated "I only have to pay insurance on one car and registration fees on one car!" :roll:

Please don't ask me how I find these people ,they just roll right out of the woodworks!
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:09 am

Uh, the car is, um, somehow inconsistent with the series though. With the season 1 dash, it should have the blackouts on both sides of the scanner. It doesn't though: that's why Adiatuotech is somehow better (blackouts).

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:10 pm

I think Mark only deals in the "4th season nose" only. I prefer the season 1/2 nose with blackouts myself and will be getting one for my conversion.

growup
Recruit

Post by growup » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:52 pm

In my conversations with Mark and reading of his site. The question of legality is primarily based on the fact that there are no VIN tags, they have been removed by the studio. Hence you can't title, register, insure and inspect the vehicle. Not to mention that the typical "KR" steering wheel is technically not legal in any state that I know of either. Plus only emergency vehicles can display forward facing red lights (i.e. scanner). Some states don't even allow red lights under the car. Such as neon and effect lights. He did not find the car it was brought to him to "restore" and is currently acting as a sales agent for the owner. The engine has been replaced with a Chevy 350 and various systems have been modified to facilitate stunt work.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:59 pm

The reason for no VIN might be because this car was one of the fabled first run 3rd gens that were in the train derailing that could not be sold by GM. Universal got all of them for the show.

Maybe the VINs were intentionally removed to either retire the numbers or re-use of other cars since GM would not be selling those particular models to the public.

In fact wasn't one of GM's conditions for the sale being that the cars would never be used on the road outside of stunt work and filming. Could be GM's way of insuring that if the show flopped and Universal tried to unload all the cars that they couldn't.

growup
Recruit

Post by growup » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:02 am

The car is alleged to be a 3rd season car. As far as I know it's standard practice for studios to remove vin tags from all modified vehicles. It would seem plausible considering the heavy abuse they receive in low mileage. Would you want to be the one trying to get a warranty claim on an ex stunt vehicle?