Would you buy a 1982 TransAm?

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Claudia_K
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Claudia_K » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:27 pm

well this topic was just fine until that growup guy came around he was in the wrong website if he thinks that the car is stupid i think his problem was he is sick of taking the bus and had to take it on other people :wink:

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:25 pm

I think I would highly recomend the car (or a 83, or 84) to anyone doing a conversion. It just makes it easier. My late model 92 has been a pain in the rear.

As a daily driver, nope. Even new these cars I don't think were intended as daily drivers. I rember reading somewhere that the expected vehicle range was about 60k miles. Not good life expectancy. That's why I take pride in the fact that mine has over 150k miles!
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

growup
Recruit

Post by growup » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:03 am

Censorship is a pain. If you don't agree with something your are branded a troll and a trouble maker. Don't you agree Sith.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:07 am

everyone is entitled to an opinion, but seeing as that the unifying theme of this site is *edit: pro* Knight Rider I cannot see the point of coming in here and expressing an opinion to the contrary.

You know you will be walking into potential conflict and no matter how valid your argument may be, you will always be in the wrong.
Last edited by Army_F_Body on Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

growup
Recruit

Post by growup » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:14 am

Censorship is bad.

Claudia_K
Volunteer

Post by Claudia_K » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:18 pm

No censorship is not always bad they have every right to keep an eye on what people are saying and i dont think people want to come here to read or post bad and sometimes off topic opinions this is Knight Rider online lets keep it that way. :D

so back to the topic would you buy a 1982 Trans Am?

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:27 pm

Your previous posts were deleted because they expressed "troll like" behavior. Your very first posts to this community were to knock the show with opinions, instead of fact, which is usually done by someone who does not to wish to have a debate about the show, but rather to mock it. Your account could have been deleted, as other sites probably would have done without a second thought, but we didn't do that here. It's good to see that you are trying to be a contributing member of the community, but what was done was not censorship. This is a private community, and as such the normal rules do not apply here, and we have the right to choose what topics and posts remain, and those that are purged. I'm sorry that you took offense to it but you need to realize nature of your post was not that of a pleasurable tone.

The posts were removed from here to bring this thread back to its original topic, rather than to dwell on the negativity of it. If we hadn't questioned the missing posts, then we could have continued without issue.

Anyway, back to the topic. If I had the cash, I would buy a 3rd gen trans am without question. Probably not an 82 after the points msKen raised, but I see no problem with later years of that generation. I have always wanted to build a replica, and purchasing one of those cars is really the only way. You have to realize that it is a 20 year old model line, and as such will have to be treated very delicately and not relied upon heavily. Also be weary of people selling the car for thousands of dollars more than its worth, simply cause it can be used as a donor car.

Tony
Rookie

Post by Tony » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:53 pm

Anyway, back to the topic. If I had the cash, I would buy a 3rd gen trans am without question. Probably not an 82 after the points msKen raised, but I see no problem with later years of that generation. I have always wanted to build a replica, and purchasing one of those cars is really the only way. You have to realize that it is a 20 year old model line, and as such will have to be treated very delicately and not relied upon heavily. Also be weary of people selling the car for thousands of dollars more than its worth, simply cause it can be used as a donor car.

I agree with neps. These cars need TLC. and if you are willing to except that, then you will have no problems with them.
Like I said before I own a 1982 Trans Am and they intend to be a nightmare at times. The body on my car is in very good shape. The interior needs to be restored, and the engine needs to be R&R'd
But other than that I love the car.. "It looks like KITT" who wouldn't??

Tony