And now...it's real. The Tesla Industries...something or other.

This forum contains discussions of an off topic nature.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

And now...it's real. The Tesla Industries...something or other.

Post by jup » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:32 am

https://youtu.be/S5Boj11jEZw

And there we go. A real car that's beyond the goofy Google car. The Tesla models are pushing forth automobile capabilities into the range that was once action/science fiction. These very upper class vehicles are all electric. The base line model runs over $80,000. And for an additional $900, can be equipped with an auto piloting system. One that can cruise those 65 MPH freeways. It's modern. High tech. Just look at those LCD screens upon the dash with fancy graphics. A touch screen in the center that has a wealth of comfort apps. Oh...and something not mentioned in this video is that there all these recharging stations now set up all over the nation. And they all will recharge your Tesla for free. The ideal set up for those road trip vacations are now at hand.

And then...

What's the very first thing this video has to say? Downloadable OS upgrade that took 45 minutes.

Not shocked in the least. After all, everything these days is handled via patches and the internet. That means that each and every one of those cars is only a flawed anti virus and/or firewall breach away from becoming a missile on the road. Or instantaneously capable of holding you for ransom while baiting you for your bank/debit/credit information in order to drive to where you wish to.

My rule number one for an auto piloting car is to make the computer as difficult as possible to gain entry to by the bad guys. That means isolating it from external input...like the local WiFi hotspots and cel-phone reception. Upgrades should not come from software updates...but hardware swaps. The luxury computer should be separate from the chips that are piloting the car and only runs it's dedicated software. Bet you they aren't in this case. A bad app or overloaded computer or BSOD(eath) that was annoying on any other device, suddenly becomes a potential killing machine on wheels. (Not to mention that a touch screen downright demands you take your eyes off the road. Of course, if the car is driving itself...)

This is it, everyone. This is the age of the luxury, recreational KITT come to life. And all so easily the birth of the Killer K.I.T.T. warning, too. It's now just a matter of time before 'Evil Hacker X' finds a flaw or two and takes control of a few of these potential urban missiles. Perhaps, the price of admission will detour most would-be reverse engineering attempts. At least for awhile. Doesn't make this any less of a ticking time bomb.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Re: And now...it's real. The Tesla Industries...something or other.

Post by Assasinge » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:38 pm

Woah the the Lounge is alive?! Anyway, I believe the new tesla (forget what it is) my dad stood in line to pre order it or put a deposit on it, I believe. I might not need a Trans Am after all...but I will need William Daniels sitting next to me though. :D

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:10 am

It is a very interesting age to be alive, all right. There are so many bright people, figuring all these concepts that I grew up with being in the realms of total science fiction. I mean they are talking about real nanites that can go in and cure diseases in the body. (Lab testings have been conducted on some animal, already.) And there are the first stages of tiny machines that can change their forms, already in the works. Computer AI is in the fast track to becoming a reality. Cars that drive themselves...is already here and out of the prototype phase. Who knows. In a number of years, it may become a thing where one can create an image inside a 3-D virtual studio and then watch micro machines physically build a KITT shell upon that Tesla. After all, in a world where there is serious talk about setting up a colony on both the moon and Mars, are there still boundaries that can't (eventually) be crossed?

But...ummm...giving this AI driver access to the wireless internet's a big mistake. We truly do need to advance computers to the point of having on-board AI's that can break down and analyze incoming data to defeat all forms of viral attacks, first.

Knightee
Volunteer

Post by Knightee » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:10 pm

well, in the news today about Tesla
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/12/3/E ... s-7742284/