Knight Con report, photos

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Con report, photos

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:24 pm

The convention takes place inside a theme park, so other visitors can wander in to see the exhibits. It's hard to get an exact count but I'm sure thousands of people have come on by. There were certainly 200-300 minimum in the room when they played a videotaped greeting from David Hasselhoff.

David Hasselhoff is not here. (there are still hopeful rumors that he might still be able to make it tomorrow, but I doubt it.) I'm sure a copy of the greeting he sent will show up on the net soon; most of it was fairly generic. He mentioned of course that the movie was in development, and also mentioned the possibility of a new series in addition to the film. (He had been speaking about a new series for years, but in recent months he has been quiet about it.) He also said that coming soon, to discos and dance clubs, there will be a very special song based on a very special theme we all know about. Hmmmm....

Stu Philips is here with his book "Stu Who?" and has a new CD in the works which he had hoped to be ready by now, but it's not. You can join his mailing list by contacting him through http://www.stuwho.com, and he will let you know when it is released and personally autograph it for you. Don Peake does have his new CD featuring the soundtracks to Let It Be Me, Scent Of Roses, White Bird, Junk Yard Dog, Halloween Knight, and Mouth of the Snake. This was a project he worked on at the request of the Knight Con staff (way to go!) and he says he absolutely loved going back and listening to all this great music again. He said that as he was speaking to Universal about getting the master tapes and the rights to make a CD, Universal was a bit surprised at how popular Knight Rider was. They didn't realize there was a demand for the music, and that the DVDs are selling much faster than they expected.

Frank Rehfeld is an author of some German Knight Rider-based books. He read a chapter at the show.

An electronics company has a big Semi in the middle of the park with about 25 computers inside. They were all playing the original Davilex Knight Rider game. They also had a new trailer for the new game coming out this fall. The graphics look pretty much the same as the first trailer we saw at E3 (http://www.knightridermovie.com/game/) but this trailer shows off the game play much more. There are a lot of missiles and energy beams flying around (both to and from KITT.) Even some energy blasts from Goliath. Once we accept that this game is giving KITT more weapons, I think the replay factor is going to be much better than the original game. It just looks FUN.

I have photos from the con here:
http://www.knightridermovie.com/knightc ... hotos.html

Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

citizen_x
Operative

Post by citizen_x » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:38 pm

looks great! i wish i was there

GRRRRR i want that music cd dammit :evil:

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:21 pm

Wow... Great pics.. I wish I cld go there..

Whose KITT replica is that at the front entrance?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:22 pm

Thanks, Michael. :) That shot of KITT behind police lines is great, too! :) I really appreciate the photos since I live in the US and can't get to the Con. At least I can see it on the 'net. :)

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:40 am

Yeah, great pics you have there, Michael...thanks for sharing it with us. The KITT replica behind the police line looks great, very true to the season one KITT, right down to the droopy turn signal blackouts. But I noticed that behind the gullwing steering wheel, the pod buttons are missing. I hope nobody stole it while the car is in display, hence the police line.

Goldwings
Rookie

Post by Goldwings » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:42 am

HondaSiR wrote:Yeah, great pics you have there, Michael...thanks for sharing it with us. The KITT replica behind the police line looks great, very true to the season one KITT, right down to the droopy turn signal blackouts. But I noticed that behind the gullwing steering wheel, the pod buttons are missing. I hope nobody stole it while the car is in display, hence the police line.
That would be terrible! I hope they have someone on guard duty out there to keep an eye on the car.

Anyways, great pics! :)

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:09 am

Goldwings wrote:That would be terrible! I hope they have someone on guard duty out there to keep an eye on the car.
Nah, the yellow police line is really part of the exhibit. And I'm sure guards are present everywhere, they just aren't seen. I hope more pics will be available soon for us folks that can't be there.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:19 am

Michael, couldn't help but notice all the concept drawings and photos on the wall next to the display case with the Police tape blocking it off. Did you happen to get a better shot of just the drawings and photos because those all look so interesting and I'd like to see them in a little bit better detail. It's cool if you didn't, just curious!
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

knightrider2004
Operative

Post by knightrider2004 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:42 pm

that semi and KITT model r so kool! i messed up the color on my modelmy dad sprayed the interior blact and it doesent look good. plus we never put the side mirrors on.
Michael wouldnt one woman be sufficient?

-K.I.T.T., Trust Doesent Rust

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:17 pm

Hey everyone!

I've been at the con, and Michael, I've probably seen you over there, because I'm on two of your pictures :-) Don't really know what you look like though, were you the guy with the yellow knight sign on his shirt?

Well, to be realistic, I don't think there were 300 people in the room. Not at once anyway. There were people wandering in and out the room though, so all together there may have been 300 people.

I have a couple pictures, I will upload them to my webspace today or tomorrow and will post the link here.
I also have a film, but I'm not sure if I have enough space to put it on the web. I have some editing to do too, so it will take longer before I can upload it.

I expected more from Stu Philips. All he did was walk up to the front, talked about his book, and asked if there were any questions. I at least expected him to talk about how it all begon, and things like that, but instead he asked to audience to ask him questions about the show. Nobody actually knew what to ask, instead an American guy, who was also part of the Knight Con crew. A great guy btw. Didn't had a chance to talk with him though.

Don Peake is a very nice guy. Liked him a lot. We talked a bit as he signed my cd.
Great guy! Really! So Don, if you read this, my compliments!
Oh and for those who are interested, here is his website: http://www.donpeakemusic.com/
He wrote it on the booklet of my cd. Go take a look 8)

We saw the message from David Hasselhoff idd. There were some technical difficulties at first, but the main point is that we saw it. It was a great feeling knowing that David spoke to US. You know, the people who were present at the Con.
Don't know if he visited the Con on Sunday. Didn't see him anyway ... :(

About the replicas: The car at the entrance was the best replica. Very nice. Took a couple of pictures there. The other cars weren't exact replicas, but nice to see though. I expected to see more cars however.

On Sunday we've been to a stunt show in the park, and just before the show began, KITT drove onto the stage chased by a police car. It happened pretty fast, but it was nice to see. It would have been better if we got a better look of the car, a bit more show and shine. It went too quick.

Anyway, I was glad to be there, but maybe a few tips for the next con:
- More replica's
- A detailed program about the events (there was a program for Saturday, but not for Sunday)
- More integration in the shows in the park.
- More events in total.

As a conclusion, I would like to thank the people who organised this event. It was a great experience. I had a great weekend.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:36 pm

Sorry I missed you KI2000! Yes, that was me with the yellow chess piece.

When people gathered to see David's message, I started counting people.. I stopped at 125 because the video started playing and wasn't close to counting everyone. 300 might be a high estimate, but I'm sure it was over 200. But you are right, throughout the day it was rarely ever near that number. And all your suggestions are good- I agree. (I missed the stunt show because I didn't know when it was happening :( )

More photos here:
http://knightridermovie.com/knightcon/p ... otos2.html

I hope to have a more formal report and photo presentatation once I get back. Suffice it to say for now that I think it went very well and the organizing team seems eager to do it again next year.

KFCreator: I do have better pics of those concept drawings. I'll make sure I share them when I have some time (I'm just doing some quick iPhoto exports in an internet cafe.)

Sorry I can't answer more details now, but it looks like KI2000 can tell everyone more about it.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:13 pm

Hey Michael,

You were staying at the Holiday Inn :-) I was staying there too. If I knew it was you, I would have talked to you. Too late now :-(
Are you still in Germany? How long are you staying there?
Do you know who the other American guy was? The bald one who was part of the crew. I think he's the one who organises the other conference in America.

Greetz.

*edit* damn, I missed the parade in the park!! Didn't know KITT was in there!
BTW, nice pictures! Mine are not that good :?

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:50 pm

Wow, the additional photos that you posted are really fabulous, Michael! The event is really a Knight Rider fan's dream come true. Even vintage toys and KITT replica parts are abundant. I'm curious about what was shown on the blooper reel. Is it the same footage as the ones being sold in ebay?

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:36 pm

some more pictures can be found here: http://users.skynet.be/ki2000
There are also some personal pictures on it. They were taken at the con. Ignore these.
Enjoy

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:13 pm

Nice pictures you have there too, KI2000. Thanks for sharing it with us. There are even unmodified Firebirds everywhere, all good looking even if not converted into KITT form. Very nice.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:30 pm

Thanks for the updates and sharing the photos Michael and KI2000, looks like it was a really fun time! I hope they decide to do another one next year, the more knight rider events the better, I say!

Was the taped interview with Hasselhoff in English or German? :)

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:09 am

Thanks for the comments. It's my pleasure to share them with you guys. The unmodified trans ams were parked in the parking lot in our hotel were a lot of the fans stayed.

The message from David was in English (thank God). It was taped in London City, in the middle of a street. There were a lot of background noises of the traffic. It's still pretty cool that he made some time to tape a little message for us.

knightsofengland
Volunteer

Post by knightsofengland » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:28 am

Hi people,
We just got back from th Knight con and it was great to meet Michael and the many fans who came from as far as America and Tokyo. The bauld guy is AJ from the Knight Nationals. He is a great guy who has a great knoledge of KR. KOE have a video of the trip and the con and all this will be going to the con team who will be putting together a full DVD of the event. I also have a copy of the DH message and if we can get his aproval we will release a copy on the KOE site soon. We are working on this right now:) I hope all who had tpo travel get home safe and we look forward to seeing you ALL next year at the Knight Con 2005... already being thought out. Any more sugestions are welcome. The Knight con team are aware there were problems but please remember this was a first and can only get bigger and better with your support.

Steve
KOE

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:50 am

So it's sure that there will be a Con next year? Great!

BTW, what I forgot to tell, David also mentioned the following in his message: I don't know if the car that was sold on ebay was the real deal ...

So I bet that it was not.

question to KOE: will the dvd be for sale?

knightsofengland
Volunteer

Post by knightsofengland » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:02 am

Well... David is not as up to speed on the car on e-bay as he might be... IF this is the car MCK worked on which we all think it is then it is now owned I understand by 3 brothers here in the UK and I can tell you it is the real deal... all be it that not much original is left!

Now the DVD I hope will be for sale but Sandra is the one who I think will decide on what is done with it but I expect it will.
And as for a Knight con 2005. We hope it will happen and I think it will from speaking with the Knight con crew and as I said with your help it will be even better than 2004 :)

The Knight con cost a lot of people a lot of there own personal money to put together. One suggestion I had was that Knight con should be charged for, only a token amount nothing stupid but then this ticket money could be used to help pay for getting top line stars to the con. All this takes money as I am sure you all know. Anyone who went have any more sugrstions on improving for 2005?
Steve
KOE

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:09 am

Thanks for stopping by and giving us your update Steve! I look forward to seeing your video from the event. DVD release sounds interesting, especially to support future events.

Are you saying they didn't charge any admission for the event? I thought the price for the park admission they got a cut of.. That's a real shame. I would think that would be a proper thing to do for the next event, as it would help get bigger stars. I don't think anyone would object at it, as long as it pulled in the people everyone wants. Perhaps that's a limitation of the Venue, while it has a great support for the event, you have to pay just to get in there.

I wont comment on other things cause since I wasn't there it's all based on what I hear. Overall it sounds like it was a great time, one that can only get better next year!

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:10 am

Well, you already read my suggestions probably :-)
Btw, can you tell me what should have happened in the western show? There should have been a surprise, but I didn't see much of it :?

I don't have a problem with paying a little extra to see the stars of the series, and I think I'm speaking for all the fellow fans here.

knightsofengland
Volunteer

Post by knightsofengland » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:07 pm

as I understand it the Knight con crew got nothing from the ticket sales, in fact I may be wrong but I think they had to pay to get the hotel and venue at a good price for people visiting. By this I mean I think the ticket sales were cheaper for peole who paid for a Knight con ticket in advance but the Knight con team may have ahd to pay for this. .. If this makes any sense. I hope to be speaking with Sandra later so I will ask.

As for the western show. I have no idea again I will ask. I missed the show my tummy needed some food input after so long without sleep or food :)
Steve
KOE

P.s just so you all know KOE supported the Knight con but were not an official part of the con Crew so I do not have all the answers but I am working on helping Sandra and the crew get info on how people thought the event went and helping answer questions people have and getting the pics and video out to fans.

I just realised I should post on my own forum... oooppps I forgot about that lol
Steve
KOE

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:42 pm

Thanks to all of you for keeping folks updated. It sounds like it was a great time had by all. I'm glad there'll be a DVD out of it hopefully. Would be nice for those who didn't make the con. :)

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:06 pm

I'll be putting a three minute video clip online soon. I'm still working on it at the moment, but it should be online by the end of the week.