How to best solve the Knight Rider Movie problem...

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

What series/movie plots should the new Knight Rider movie consider canon?

Only the original "Knight Rider" series. Everything else is crap!
59%
The original series and Knight Rider 2000. They'll figure out how to axe Shawn, Maddock, reinvent KITT and relocate FLAG.
22%
The original series, KR2K and TKR. All 3 were great and nothing needs to be ignored!
4%
The original series and TKR. KR2K sucked the big one but TKR was cool.
2%
Reinvent the series! Pitch everything and start fresh with all new characters, a new plot and a new KITT. Hasselhoff and the original crew need to be retired!
12%

Total votes: 49

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KFCreator » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:03 am

After thinking about it, I think they should acknowledge some things that happened in KR2000, most notably Devon's death, KITT beng dismantled, and Michael temporarily coming back to the Foundation. I did love KR2000 for the parts that truly did seem to be "Knight Rider." Going back and re-watching scenes like Devon going to see Michael at the lake and recruiting him again, Michael's reunion with KITT as he's rebuilding him, Michael and KITT's usual love-hate antics, Michael reacting to Devon's death and Michael finally going back to FLAG because he knows he's needed were truly memorable moments in KR history. My final suggestion I think is to just sidestep the FLAG office in Seattle, never mention Shawn or Maddock again, somehow get KITT back out of the tomato on wheels body without having to explain KR2000 (maybe have KITT be redismantled and Michael finds him that way again), and definitely forget all of the predictions made during KR2000's timeline.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:23 am

I don't understand why they couldn't do this in the new movie totally independent of KR2K... yeah, it might seem like reinventing the wheel, but you're asking the general public to recall the events of a TV movie from 12 years ago that many of us haven't seen in ages -- and we're the die-hard fans!

There's no reason that the movie couldn't somehow mention that Devon died in the span of time between 1986 and 2003 (or '04, or '05), Michael retired, and KITT was dismantled, but now something has happened that brought Michael back, and he has to put KITT back together again in order to go about his mission.

It's just my opinion, but KR2K carries too much baggage for it to be of any use to a storyline in a KR movie. It's the future predictions and Seattle and KIFT and Shawn and Maddock and everything... you're trying to take a little bit from Column A and a bit from Column B, but I just don't see it working that well.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:48 am

How about some references towards TKR, KR2010 and Dalton?

Just for variety. You can have paratroopers dropping from a Galaxy, coming to attack, then a Banshee lookalike fighting against KITT, a notorious criminal named Jason McQueen and a brief appearance by David Dalton (He'd make a better partner for Michael than Shawn!).

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:25 am

KR2000 was San Antonio, not Seattle.

And you can have all those things happen (KITT being dismantled, Michael leaving the Foundation, Devon's death) without having them happen within the KR2000 timeline. Just come up with new reasons to explain what happened. As soon as you specifically bring KR2000 into the mix, you have to explain everything else that goes along with it. It's too much baggage.

Mike

(edit: after going back and actually reading the thread, I realize I basically repeated what JL just said. He must be very wise.)
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:53 am

In my opinion they should totally disregard KR2000. Its completely un-Knight Rider. It doesn't even feel the same!

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:45 am

Mike--How do you know KR2000 took place in San Antonio? I always assumed it was Seattle because of the opening scene where Devon, Maddock, the Commissoner, the Mayor, etc. are having that conference and Maddock oes to the window and you can clearly see the Space Needle from there. Maddock even makes a remark about it. Just curious. :-)
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:33 am

That isn't actually the Space Needle, it's the Tower of the Americas. You can find out more information about it, and other locations in KR2000 from Scott's Website:

http://kr2k.com/locations.html

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:41 pm

The Two Towers:

Considering how famous the Space Needle is I assumed it was much taller. But after checking I found out it's "only" 603 feet, vs. San Antonio's 728 foot tower. (You could stack those two towers on top of eachother and they'd still look small next to Toronto's 1,851 foot CN Tower.)

Mike (skyscraper buff)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:26 pm

Actually, there is a medium in here. The script had them in Seattle, but the location that they managed to get was San Antonio and Corpus Christi, Texas.

There are scenes in KR2K that are most certainly San Antonio, (the riverwalk) but the original writer's intentions had them placed in Seattle.

Confused writers. Yet another symptom of 'little dog reunion movie syndrome" ;)

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:56 pm

Seattle was the "in" city in the 90s (Starbucks, Frasier) so I could understand them wanting Knight Rider 2000 to take place there. But the only script I've seen (Knight Rider Archive) doesn't mention a specific city as far as I can tell. Is there another script out there? I like seeing the evolution in the writing process.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:12 pm

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:14 pm

Very cool... thanks.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:17 pm

No problem. :) I too, like to watch the evolution of the writing process. :) It's sort of funny to see what stuck in the shooting script and what didn't.

KI

Cougar
Rookie

Post by Cougar » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:38 pm

Seattle? San Antonio? Chourpus Christi? I thought it was Chicago! I'm going to lay down. My head hurts.

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:11 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:Seattle was the "in" city in the 90s (Starbucks, Frasier).
yes, we do rule. :P don't forget austin powers, the spy who shagged me. dr. evil's lair was in the space needle. (with starbucks in the windows)

KITT :shock:
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:31 am

:P don't forget austin powers, the spy who shagged me. dr. evil's lair was in the space needle. (with starbucks in the windows)
I only saw this movie once at the theatre back when it was out. When exactly did they show it? Was it in the 60's or the 90's?

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:34 am

they showed it in the beginning, in the 90s. in the 60s was his secret hollowed out volcano lair.

KITT
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ghost-Unmade
Rookie

Post by Ghost-Unmade » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:03 pm

The best thing to do would be to have the new movie take place somtime after the year 2000, and just sidestep the issue, never really saying whether or not KR2K actually happened.

Remember when you only have a 90 minute movie to deal with, you're not going to get to explain a lot of back story.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:27 pm

90 minute movie?! Let's hope not... I want a good 2 hours in the theater.

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:01 pm

Yes, a nice action adventure movie. How bout it start off in the year 2000 where Michael is called out of retirement and KITT has been dismantled since he left in 1990. Devon has died sometime in the mid-90's. Well, Michael goes after a criminal commiting a major heist the law cannot stop. But he gets away during a big attack and keeps himself in suspended animation thinking he will roam again when Michael is long gone.

But the government keeps Michael in cryogenic sleeping for the next few years. When the criminal comes out, he starts commiting crimes again thinking Michael is old and not far from the end of his days. It is the future and the world has changed quite a bit. But the law still isn't able to stop this criminal and Michael is woken up. He is the only one who knows the old fashioned ways to trap this guy. F.L.A.G. makes up a new KITT which is twice as much powerful.

P.S. Arnold Schwarzenegger is president during this futuristic period.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:38 pm

Thanks ColeGrad01, I'm getting this horrible mental picture of the new KR movie turning into "Demolition Man," with Michael playing Sly Stallone's role now! LOL

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:49 pm

You knew exactly what I was thinking while typing that out. You read my mind. But DEMOLITION MAN does it that the future turns into some pussy world. I want it that it looks like the year 2030 in the modern TIME MACHINE. Only everyone is not riding bicycles. And we still haven't developed colonization on the moon.

In order for Arnold to actually be president, it would have to be like around 2015 and 2018. Michael is kept in a cryogenic capsule for about 10 or 12 years. While he is out, the Congress passed a new ammendment allowing a non-Native to run for presidency. Therefore, Arnold runs and gets elected as a result of his wonderful job as governor.

All you would see is him making a speech on a TV screen. When Michael wakes up and asks who's president, they tell him and he doesn't believe it. Just like when Marty McFly told Dr. Brown in BACK TO THE FUTURE that Ronald Reagan is president in 1985. This is only an idea for a movie. It does not affect what will actually happen in real life.

Cougar
Rookie

Post by Cougar » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:06 pm

I hope the new movie is not futuristic. That is one thing that ruined KR2000 for me.

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:27 pm

Yeah. Hopefully it won't be. They will just carry the story on in the present day. That's just what the story would be if I was doing it. If Arnold can't be president in real life, then at least he could in the movies. That wouldn't hurt anything. Right now it's the only way he ever could.

But a Knight Rider story should scratch the deal with Knight Rider 2000 and just do something taking place in the present.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:33 pm

You get the feeling that somebody is hung up on the Arnold as President idea to the pont of over obsession?

As for the movie problem, they need to come up with an alternate way to describe Edward Mulhare's death, try to ignore KR2K as much as possible (same with TKR) and try to go from the original series as much as possible. Move Michael up into the administrative position, it could be a side note of comedic humor to see him grousing over the whole paperwork concept, and trying to sneak out and live the old times with his partner, while the newness is trying to adjust to the job.

KI