Why wasn't kitt renamed in season 3

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Why wasn't kitt renamed in season 3

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:19 pm

If Bonnie made him betterthen new,as she put it in Knight Of The Drones,why wasn't his acronym changed to Knight Industries Three Thousand?He had a new interior and new technology installed enough to say he was a newer version of himself.

roDa
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Why wasn't kitt renamed in season 3

Post by roDa » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:28 pm

But the CPU remained the same, he was still KITT :D
Those streets have more potholes than Devon has neckties. :lol:

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:37 pm

For KITT to receive a new designation, I reckon he'd need to be transferred to a new CPU with significant technological enhancements. Given that KITT is graded into his parts though, you'd run the risk of getting a different KITT at the end of the transfer.

This was one of the big issues encountered in Junkyard Dog, where KITT was specifically rebuilt to the original specifications, a process that can make a case for the original dashboard being a part of the process that was necessary to systematically bring KITT's components into line with the remnants of his personality after being lost to the toxic waste.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

crashb648
Operative

Post by crashb648 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:28 pm

I never really thought about that, until i read your post Knight Racer. It never once occured to me: "Kitt is a new car (more-a-less), why wasnt his name changed?" It would of been an interesting idea, even through Kitt's name will of remained the same. I would of thought that the change would of upset fans through, so im glad they didnt change it. :)
http://www.thetributepages.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Online Tribute Pages for Video Games, Movies and TV Shows. Including: Knight Rider and Knight Rider: The Game!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:42 pm

For KITT to receive a new designation, I reckon he'd need to be transferred to a new CPU with significant technological enhancements.
Case in point: K.A.R.R.(E.) in the 2008 series (if we are to assume the K.A.R.R. featured in that series was indeed the original).

In "Knight Of the Drones," K.I.T.T. wasn't completely destroyed. Therefore, a slight facelift and a couple of new features to his dashboard would hardly necessitate a major software upgrade. He was repaired, but still operated with Series 2000 circuitry. We could say K.I.T.T. should have a name change every time Bonnie or April installed a new feature, which was nearly every episode, but that wouldn't be practical.

Where some confusion may lie is the difference between K.I.T.T.'s A.I. and the Knight 2000 vehicle itself both sharing the same name. The same can be said for the Knight 3000 and its C.P.U. as well. The software of both K.I.T.T.s happened to coincide with their corresponding vehicles' names. K.A.R.R. would be different of course, because he is the Knight Automated Roving Robot built into a prototype Knight 2000.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:21 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
For KITT to receive a new designation, I reckon he'd need to be transferred to a new CPU with significant technological enhancements.
Case in point: K.A.R.R.(E.) in the 2008 series (if we are to assume the K.A.R.R. featured in that series was indeed the original).

In "Knight Of the Drones," K.I.T.T. wasn't completely destroyed. Therefore, a slight facelift and a couple of new features to his dashboard would hardly necessitate a major software upgrade. He was repaired, but still operated with Series 2000 circuitry. We could say K.I.T.T. should have a name change every time Bonnie or April installed a new feature, which was nearly every episode, but that wouldn't be practical.

Where some confusion may lie is the difference between K.I.T.T.'s A.I. and the Knight 2000 vehicle itself both sharing the same name. The same can be said for the Knight 3000 and its C.P.U. as well. The software of both K.I.T.T.s happened to coincide with their corresponding vehicles' names. K.A.R.R. would be different of course, because he is the Knight Automated Roving Robot built into a prototype Knight 2000.

I was thinking that someone would use the "Kitt got a new function in each episode" defense but one function doesn't justify a new version of kitt.In Knight of the drones he received a bunch of upgrades to software as well as hardware and a dash face lift.The reason why I think he should have gotten a new designation was because Bonnie did say,"No,I'm going to make you better then new."I think maybe the body itself should have gotten a name change from Knight Two Thousand since the CPU isn't really kitt.Maybe the body should have been called Knight Three Thousand but it would seem weird that its using an older knight 2000 CPU.

Samborghini
Rookie

Post by Samborghini » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:12 am

I read in an interview somewhere by Glen Larson (I forget where) but I'm sure he said in the interview that a lot of peope get confused with KITT and the Knight 2000. He stated the KITT was the computer, the Knight 2000 is the car.
Protecting the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:46 pm

Knight Racer wrote:I think maybe the body itself should have gotten a name change from Knight Two Thousand since the CPU isn't really kitt.Maybe the body should have been called Knight Three Thousand but it would seem weird that its using an older knight 2000 CPU.
That wouldn't make any sense. The Knight 2000 will always be a Knight 2000, just like any other modified car will always be what it is.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say the C.P.U. isn't really K.I.T.T.? K.I.T.T. was only heavily damaged in "Knight Of the Drones." I could see in "Junk Yard Dog" where K.I.T.T. was nearly completely destroyed except for the "bare shreds of his memory," if I remember Bonnie's line correctly. Maybe at that point he could have come back as K.I.T.T. 2.0 built into the Knight 2000. But, he was rebuilt exactly the way he was before.

K.I.T.T. will always retain his name no matter what vehicle he is installed into. That's why his name didn't change when he was installed into a television/radio in "Soul Survivor," or the '57 Chevy and Knight 4000 in Knight Rider 2000. The original A.I. built into the Knight 4000 could arguably be named "K.I.F.T.," although it was never mentioned by name, nor do I think it was ever given one. As things turned out, we had K.I.T.T. built into the Knight 4000.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:51 pm

I just read what I wrote.I wrote it up wrong.I know kitt is the C.P.U. the body is the Knight Two Thousand.The car had some serious upgrades such as the dash and all its electronics to the point where you might think its a newer version enough to get a new name.

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:33 pm

I always wondered if in the K2000 movie, did Micheal override the 4000's personality with the 2000's or did he replace the main processor of KIFT? If he just overridden the personality, it still would be officially KIFT, but if he replaced the "brain", then it would be KITT in the 4000 shell....um I guess.
Knight Tech Inc. -- Where everyone makes a difference.