The Knight Story

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

The Knight Story

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:45 pm

Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted but I lurk every now and then. I hope to meet you all again in Vegas in March!

I am wanting to introduce my girlfriend to Knight Rider before she comes with me to KRF3 and instead of sitting her down to all 90 episodes of the original series, I figured to show her a few key essential episodes that are important to the Michael Knight and KITT story.

And while KR isn't as episodic as other shows are, there are still key episodes.

Here is what I thought of so far:

Knight of the Phoenix
Trust Doesn't Rust
White Bird
Goliath
Soul Survivor
Knightmares
Goliath Returns
A Good Knight's Work
Let It Be Me
Knight of the Drones
Knights of the Fast Lane
KITT vs KARR
Knight in Disgrace
Dead of Knight
Junk Yard Dog
Knight of the Juggernaught
Knight Sting
Killer KITT
The Scent of Roses

Whatcha think? Any episodes that I left off? Any that I should take off? Discuss.

:)

SadArticle
Operative

Re: The Knight Story

Post by SadArticle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:38 am

What a good idea :idea:

I would agree with all those, but why Knight Sting? Or were you just pressed for season four suggestions? :wink:

Chariot of Gold is a key first season episode, too, I think. And Lost Knight is Kitt's version of Knightmares :wink:
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:21 am

I agree with SadArticle on this.remove Knight in Disgrace,Dead of Knight,knight sting,add lost knight and maybe add knight flight to freedom(highest point of one man making a difference that changed a country in my opinion) and add knight song.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:57 am

Knight Racer wrote:I agree with SadArticle on this.remove Knight in Disgrace,Dead of Knight,knight sting,add lost knight and maybe add knight flight to freedom(highest point of one man making a difference that changed a country in my opinion) and add knight song.
Knight Song?

Are you playing a prank on Scott?

Not only is it the worst episode of s4, it's the worst of the whole series!

There is hardly any action apart from a little scene in the middle where Michael jumps out of a window and then there is the ending when PINEAPPLES (or was it coconuts?) are thrown at the villains.

Laughably bad.

If you just want to go for a bad episode, throw in 'The Rotten Apples'. That's bad enough.

Scott, she'll dump you if she watches this one.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:03 am

Given that A Plush Ride and Hearts of Stone contain key developments in the relationship between Michael and Devon, (like Chariot of Gold does between Michael and Bonnie) I reckon that they might also be worth adding to the list as well Scott. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:33 am

Knight Song?! Really?! Hahaha, I'm with Skav, I'll get dumped right when we reach the "KITT sings" scene.

I picked Knight Sting because it was a good story that involved the entire team in the field, thought it made for good FLAG teamwork.

Knight In Disgrace, while it doesn't fit into the Michael Knight/Michael Long mythos, it's a good story between Michael and Devon, as well as showing KITT's loyalty.

Dead of Knight is such a dramatic episode, you see how Michael feels when that dancer gets his poison, kinda poetic. But it would be the first to go if I had to cut the list down.

I thought about Lost Knight, if it wasn't so horribly badly written. The scenes with the boy are OK but at the very end when he screams "I'm making a citizen's arrest..." Geez.

Chariot of Gold would be a good addition for sure.

Not sure about A Plush Ride and Hearts of Stone - can you elaborate more, Matthew?

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:52 am

A Plush Ride really reaches the low point of Michael's relationship with Devon. You can see by the way it's played that Devon's comment during the limousine chase has more than a hint of truth to it, and with the regret shown by Devon during Michael’s disconsolate reaction, it serves as the turning point that's followed up in Hearts of Stone, where their relationship has begun approaching the father/son dynamic that we all remember.

Matt

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:51 pm

Scott Kirkessner wrote:I thought about Lost Knight, if it wasn't so horribly badly written. The scenes with the boy are OK but at the very end when he screams "I'm making a citizen's arrest..." Geez.
I'll admit that I lose interest in this episode after Michael restores Kitt's memory - the two idiots trying to blow up the dam is a ridiculous subplot, even for Knight Rider! - but Michael's concern for Kitt is sweet. I love the scene where he screams 'Kitt!' in the canyon.
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

DarylKnight
Rookie

Post by DarylKnight » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:47 pm

The thing with Lost Knight, that keeps in mind, is it's reasons that keep Knight Rider so great. Ok, so we have story that tapers way off in dynamic and inevitably arrives at being corny. "Citizen's Arrest" and all that. We do keep the dynamic that in the search of a lost KITT, Micheal and KITT STILL inadvertently make a difference. They put Doug back on the right track, and help his mom reestablish what she needs in life. Also, our degrading story, is backed by very memorable knight rider stunt work that basically outshines the fleeting story line. 3 chase scenes support this episode, with 2 standouts. Don Peake's score was excellent during the the first standout, Doug and KITT driving for the first time. The second chase stands strong with a great (unrecycled) Turbo Boost, followed by a fantastic rail jump of the Chevy Blazer. They may not be pivotal reasons to keep the show on the list, but they are entertaining reasons. Something to keep in mind.

A lot of this can be similarly said for "The Rotten Apples". Not a great Knight Rider episode, but the formula is in place, and it's a FUN Knight Rider episode. The bus brakes scene, great driving sequence! Another reason S4 struggled so much, during the worst episodes, they weren't able to at least back it with anything memorable with KITT. Just wanted to toss in my two cents, thanks for bearing with me! :kitt:

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:43 pm

Another good question is... should we continue after we finish those episodes. And if so, how should we? The logical choice is to then show the Knight Rider 2008 movie and pick a small (very small) handful of episodes, and it is easy to ignore TKR and 2010 all together. But should I show Knight Rider 2000 to see how things could have been if it wasn't ret-conned by KR08?

You all raise good points! And Darryl gave a valid argument for Lost Knight.

Matthew, it's been such awhile since I saw those two episodes, I am going to watch them tonight. Those two episodes would be a good lead in to Knight in Disgrace (shock factor for WTF is Michael doing to Devon), and even would be a good throwback while watching KR2K when Michael is mourning Devon.

I hope everyone's having fun with this :)

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:49 pm

OK gave A Plush Ride a watch and loved it. You're right Matthew, Devon's digs and Michael were hurtful, and the look on Michael's face in the office scene showed a crushed spirit.

Heart's of Stone was a different story... yes Devon was supportive and whatnot, but I just couldn't get into the episode, and the girl of that Laguna dude was annoying as hell (bad actress with a horrible accent).

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:22 am

Yeah, Heart's of Stone certainly isn't the best episode in terms of the acting. Still, it is the first sign of a change in the relationship between Michael and Devon, and really, without it, the support that Devon gives Michael during White Bird would come right out of left field.

Of course, if you still can't bring yourself to add it to the list, you could always just show the scene where KITT introduces Michael to his new voice modulator, since it also introduces the semi as a true mobile unit.

Matt

P.S. Let me know if you want any of the episodes that have been mentioned to be added to the list in the opening post. :good:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:14 am

I picked Knight Song because It was nice of RC3 to finally have an episode that focuses on his character.He was going back to his community and making sure that his neighberhood was still safe.Isn't that a great episode of making a difference?Kitt annoyed Michael with his singing.RC3,Michael,and the other guy looked like those Apes at the end of a tv show with their ears covered by their pals,1 covering his eyes,and the last covering his mouth.A blind man got to appear like he was driving kitt just like in Blind Spot.

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:15 pm

Knight Racer has a good point, it is a nice RC centric story, but it's just so horrible all the same and RC is such a forgettable character. Why they had to shove in New Edition and singing and etc into what could have been a good character-driven/developmental story is beyond me (aside from struggling in the ratings).

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:17 pm

I will say the Mobile Unit in Hearts of Stone looked AWESOME!

I guess when it comes to bad acting, you may have to make some concessions. The Pilot episodes has its fair share of horrible over-acting by Pamela Susan Shoop and her annoying kid, but beyond that you have a great origins episode.

Matthew wrote:Yeah, Heart's of Stone certainly isn't the best episode in terms of the acting. Still, it is the first sign of a change in the relationship between Michael and Devon, and really, without it, the support that Devon gives Michael during White Bird would come right out of left field.

Of course, if you still can't bring yourself to add it to the list, you could always just show the scene where KITT introduces Michael to his new voice modulator, since it also introduces the semi as a true mobile unit.

Matt

P.S. Let me know if you want any of the episodes that have been mentioned to be added to the list in the opening post. :good: