Some new pics of my KITT replica

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Some new pics of my KITT replica

Post by simon_a6 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:11 pm

Knight Racer wrote: .

You get the trunk shade on and it will look so great that people will think they were looking at a car from the actual tv show.Do you have a video showing the scanner light on?
You got those buttons bang on. I think you even have the right font typeface too.

Fantastic.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:23 pm

I've just been reading through this thread. I have to say, I have total respect for anyone who converts their Trans Am into a KITT. It takes a lot of time, money and energy to do it.
I've seen some shocking conversions, but mostly very good ones. The one highlighted here is just genius. Even down to the extreme detailing of the buttons and fonts.

I can't say I ever noticed the right switchpod being or appearing to be lower than the left. Are you all saying that it is not in fact lower - it's just the dash, or the lower part of the dash that curves down, that makes it appear to be lower?

Isn't the best way to test it, to set the steer wheel straight and get a photo from right in front of it? As MK use to hold the wheel and click a button while still holding on. Try it with both hands on both 'pods'.

I am going to KnightCon this weekend, and will be in seventh heaven sitting in all these KITTs. It's been a life-long ambition to sit in at least one, so I can tick it off my "things to do before you die" list.

Meeting the girls and Michael will also be quite something, particular the girls.

i wonder how many KITTs are out there with the season 1 2-tv dash, that has the screen embedded into the dash like you'd see on the closeups? Not with them 'sticking out'.

That was mostly done for visual effect I think, as normally they were sticking out, and in the KOTP they were like that. Does make one wonder what Univeral were thinking when you'd see one style of TV and then another.... in the same episode. Similar to the Voice Mod tho I suppose.

2-TV dash is my favourite tho. Like music: original is usually the best.

andyg
Volunteer

Post by andyg » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:10 pm

peterp&j wrote:thanks knight racer i know i am harking on about this but it has always niggled at me for years i hope theres not a posse of replica owners after my blood now im very aware how accurate some owners are about their treasured KITTs!!!
No worries peterp&j :D

You have a question, and I'm more than happy to try and answer it for you.

Something else to keep in mind also is the episode 'White Line Warriors' is from S2 which also saw the birth of a second generation of dashboard. While not much different from the Pilot/S1 dash, enough subtle difference to be different. Quick breakdown, instead of the S2 dash being a dash on dash (fiberglass half dash on top of a stock dash pad) the S2 dash became a full fiberglass dash that extended all the way to the windshield. Secondly the pods changed slightly in that the top of the pods that come off from the dash now angle slighlty downward towards the steering wheel.

Other differences where overlay lines added and seperations, & screws subtracted, ect. The smaller 2 TV frame also became more of a staple for the S2 dash. Upper & lower consoles changed, ect. but not utterly important to this paticular discusion. (just wanted to give you an idea of a few of the changes).

Now, back to the S2 dashboard itself. The overall dash shape remained the same from Scheffe's original. (the tail to the windshiled was just added) The S2 pods (in theroy, mind you) and I can niether comfirm nor deny this, because I simply don't know, but were most likely sculpted from the S1 dash pods and altered to slop downward towards the wheel. Going off this theroy, the overall shape of the pods shouldn't have changed that much from the original S1.

This second part, which I cannot comfirm but have come to understand through the years is that Michael Scheffe only ever built one dash for Universal, and that is the dash we see in the Pilot episode. I understand that he either had part in some scetches or referal on the second generation S2 dash, but not actual hands on building. Again, only what I've come to understand. And of coarse it's comfirmed that he did at least scetch the 3/4 S dash.

Back to my point. Michael Scheffe is not just a prop builder, he attended automotive design school and when he scetches and builds, the parts are true to what an automobile should be if it were to be build by a company and manufactured. The pod ends were in fact even across from one another and if looked at directly straight on, you would see that they in fact, are. When the steering wheel is straight, both pod ends will be appox. 1/4" below the tips of the top of the wheel.

I understand exactly where your coming from in your thinking because I've been there myself. :D But the reality is, you can't get a true representation of what something really is from a camera angle or snap shot or what have you. The slightest off angle can through your perspective off greatly. I've studied screen grabs of KITT for the past three years, inside and out, and I know how picture angles can drive you crazy and make you see things that arn't really happening. Paticularly when it comes to the S1/S2 KITT front bumper. One angle can make it look very long and another can make it look very short for instance.

I hope I've been able to answer your question about the pod ends. Don't ever feel like you can't ask me a question about the KITT replicas. I'm more than happy to shed some light if I can. I'm a huge KR fan too, so I know how you feel. :D The only questions I can't answer is specific part numbers or specific measurements, ect. out of respect for all the time it's taken to obtain such information.

Thanks again, you guys for the awesome comments!

Andy

the original KITT
Operative

Post by the original KITT » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:20 am

excellent job very nice indeed!!! :D

the pics of kitts dash are both not the hero cars but just a mock up of the dash.

looking at the side angle view of the dash you'll notice that the steering logo is missing, the top part of the start up sequence is missing also the dash itself is at a very low quality. (pic from the the pilot)

The other pic of kitts dash the high angle high mounted camera is also a mock up dash, notice the hole in the steering wheel and the blue pusuit light (when it should be red) also no turbo boost red button on the right hand side
. (pick from soul survivor)

but yeah excellent work

:kitt:
Michael:“KITT I NEED YAH!”
Kitt:“ON MY WAY MICHAEL!”

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:04 am

I think the reason why the left one was lower wasn't for David's knee accidentally hitting the left one thus making it higher to correct it.It was because you couldn't see the digital meters under the right monitor/monitors.They wanted as much of the dash be shown as possible.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:12 am

Knight Racer wrote: Image
I can see in this picture what someone here was talking about with the fibreglass dash 'stuck on' to the car's original dash.

Scroll down and you see the brand new dash and how it is fitted far better.

Somewhere in this forum is someone showing a pic of the dash when they literally stuck something on the top, when MK is on top of the bonnet.

peterp&j
Operative

Post by peterp&j » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:30 am

simon_a6 wrote:
Knight Racer wrote: Image
I can see in this picture what someone here was talking about with the fibreglass dash 'stuck on' to the car's original dash.

Scroll down and you see the brand new dash and how it is fitted far better.

Somewhere in this forum is someone showing a pic of the dash when they literally stuck something on the top, when MK is on top of the bonnet.
this is the 1st season hero car it was far less detailed than the stage car (no lettering on the pods )
michael;i've got a problem.
devon;my dear boy,dont be so modest,you have a wide range of problems.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:31 am

Was it the same car used in the Pilot, when he first sits in the car with his hands on his knees?

I see ur from Scotland - you going on Saturday?

peterp&j
Operative

Post by peterp&j » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:38 am

Knight Racer wrote:Image

This should help illustrate your point.
this is the hero car from season2 the dash is far more detailed and closer to the stage dash original kitt commented that it was the stage dash but if you look at other 2nd season episodes the leds never change (look at the 6 red next to the rpm readout)

peterp&j
Operative

Post by peterp&j » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:43 am

simon_a6 wrote:
Knight Racer wrote: .

You get the trunk shade on and it will look so great that people will think they were looking at a car from the actual tv show.Do you have a video showing the scanner light on?
You got those buttons bang on. I think you even have the right font typeface too.

Fantastic.
heres another neat trick used as there was far more functions than buttons some of the buttons were blank and they put on clear labels with the writing on notice the borders round 6RM,7DLA so when an new function button was needed the pull off the sticker an place another on top
ill not be at knightcon this year i was ther 2 years ago well worth the trip you will have a blast

peterp&j
Operative

Post by peterp&j » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:13 am

simon heres the shot think you were talking about its the scene from topaz from season1 when micheal is trying to stop the plane you notice the curve dash is sitting on top of the stock dash they had a limited stock of cars in season1 and for some shots what they did was to place a mock curve dash with no leds on top of the stunt car dash and change steering wheels
notice also how shiny the seats are clearly vinal and not the fabric seats of the hero car hope this is of some help

peterp&j
Operative

Post by peterp&j » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:43 am

If anyone is following this and happens to bump into mr scheffe anytime can the question about the pods be put to him I'd love to find out the absolute answer from the man who created the dash in the first place

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:51 am

Peter.
I am definitely going to KnightCon this Saturday. So if you want, write down the exact question you are asking, and I will give it to him if I am given the chance.
I don't know how 'open' these VIPs are at these shows, or where they are secured away from people, behind tables for autographs, or if they just walk around among others.

Thanks for the pic of the mock dash. That's exactly the one. Back in the day, I never noticed it and if i had it on video, still wouldn't. It's thanks to DVD!

Are you saying that they DID have the pops lob-sided for a reason, or that they appeared that way because of the 'cut' of the dash?

peterp&j
Operative

Post by peterp&j » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:28 am

ive sent you a pm simon thanks

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:38 am

Yep got it - thanks.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:40 pm

I was watching the episode just after white line warriors which i rarely watched and I noticed something a lot of replicas did.They had the buttons to outside the casing of the button pod plastics that I thought it was always a cheap immitation of it.I see now where the ripoff versions got it from.This one shows how the top is closer to yours rounded off a bit.I see you got the best of both worlds round top and deep inside instead of outside the button pods.You also can see the lower console/cash register from a grocery store revealed in mouth of the snake to us all here on the board.

Here you can see the button pod on the left way up there compared to the one on the right which is low enought to see the digital meters behind it.

ws6air
Operative

Post by ws6air » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:06 pm

I agree totally with Andy on the 3yrs of looking at screengrabs and will say this too. Don't go by screengrabs. When I got to see AJ's original in Vegas , it was like, man, that nose is short. For so long I thought it was longer than that. When talking to Scheffe, he said "No line is perfect , nor is any line straight , on anything I did" I believe that too after sculpted 2 noses. HAH (that was to you Andy!) Also, Shadows play a big game on screengrabs, and so does that lens they were using. AAAAaaahhhhh. I have to say that Billy's new nose is probaby one of the most accurate ones out there, along with any of Billy's parts. Billy's closed right now, but hopefully he will come back to the KR world. He'll probably have a bunch of new gizmos by then too. I can't comment enough on all these rides people do. I think we DO need to thank ALL the vendors that have made all our dreams come true / and ones still on the way. Thanks to all. So many now in the bus. to list , but thanks to all. Oh , and thanks Scheffe for the design of everything. Killer! . Again guys, awesome jobs on the rides, and for the newbies getting in or anybody wanting to do one, trust the ones that have been in it awhile. I myself have always loved Knight Rider, always will, but making a replica takes time and PLENTY of patience from everybody , including the one doing it! Thanks Andy and others for the enlightment of these last few posts. Even though me and Andy talk occasionally, I still read everything he ever post because I know you can trust this guy and can learn so much from him and other guys like him. Just don't trust those screengrabs! TAlk with you all later , sorry so long.

Marc

PS Thanks again to all the vendors.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:26 pm

hi all

I met the legendary Michael today, at Knightcon.
When I went to meet him I sat down and showed him the question that Peter personally sent me, to ask him.

He said the Switchpods were all absolutely symetcial. the lines from the voice mod, down the centre to the steering wheel and to the pods were all in a perfect symetical shape.

He had the originals made perfectly, but then further models were made and constructed, not by him but by others.

So like a chinese whisper, it changed bit by bit over the series. So where you see it not at a straight angle, this is NOT down to him.

He was very open to talk about it. A very decent and friendly man who was open to all and any questions about the car's interior.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:54 pm

That holds up with the first overview shot we see of kitt.If this is the original that Michael made the pods are symetrical.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:52 pm

Yep.
The one thing I don't know, and doubt if even he knows, if when you saw "his" dashboard ever again in the show.
You saw the 'studio' shots, but I wonder if you ever see that particular dash ever again?
BTW, does anyone know when the centre console buttons went from the multiple tiny buttons (that were never touched in view), to the "checkout till" buttons?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:47 am

I would have to say end of season 2.I remember a shot of the lower console in mouth of the snake.

You can see item,quantity,and price buttons at the upper area.I think I saw somewhere it said the words Manual Overisde on the dark red lcd area of the console.

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:18 am

If I remember correctly, that version of the center console was also present in Knightmares when Michael, sans memory, first looks inside KITT, so I'd say that the new center console was probably a general season 2 modification along with the streamlined upper console. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

peterp&j
Operative

Post by peterp&j » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:28 am

Thanks for asking the question simon looks like knightcon was as fantastic asit was when I attended 2 years ago the pods were symetrical on the first dash as pictured above but I'm still convinced they were altered at some point if I can I'm need to visit cars of the stars peter nelson(owner) has moved his kitt to loch lomond about 30 minutes from my home he bought this kitt from hoff hoffs kitt was a replica he was given at the end of season 1 and he took it on tour with him if I do I will try to see what position the pods are in in this kitt and maybe I will get my answer once and for all thanks again simon

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:00 am

No worries Peter.
If it was a copy of a copy though, Michael's answer still stands: copies of copies of copies tend to be less like the original.
I remember years ago in a training course doing a Chinese Whisper thing. Someone told someone something.....but after being told through 10 people, the final phrase was nothing like the original.

Simon

andyg
Volunteer

Post by andyg » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:02 am

My appologies for not coming back sooner to visit this thread. I'm glad that it seems some of your questions have been answered.

I did get a little confused as to what some were wondering about with the pods, but it seems as though Mr. Scheffe has confirmed that the original pods were straight across from each other on the original car.

Again, on the 2nd season dash, the pods were built by Universals prop dept. so some of the detail of the original may (and very well could have been) lost. Plus, fiberglass reacts in strange ways when exspossed to heat, temp. change, ect. especially when not made with a thicker lay-up (which most likely prop parts wern't) and when shooting a TV show, the prop dept. won't always spend a lot of time making sure a part looks perfect for a 3 or 4 second spot.

Could the right pod be lower than the left on the 2nd season dash? Sure, I guess it is possible and even likely, but I can assure that it was never intended or designed to be that way. It just doesn't estetically make sence.

Andy