Style of movie? Lighthearted Action or Serious Sci Fi?

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

davidknightrider
Rookie

Style of movie? Lighthearted Action or Serious Sci Fi?

Post by davidknightrider » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:59 am

whats people's opinions on the style of the movie they want to see?

Do you want to see a lighthearted action movie in the style of the recent A Team movie, or would you prefer a more serious darker comedy less Sci Fi orientated movie with more realism and substance?

After seeing the A Team Flop, barely making its budget back, whats the best scenario?

I'm guessing the new movie needs to have virtually no campness or comedy value in it, because lets face it, we need to see a new take on Knight Rider, something we haven't seen before. Let's try something different.

Since the new movie is a reimagining on the idea of the Knight Rider, a more serious take with perhaps more realistic elements will help bring in a bigger box office than just a straight action movie.

In my opinion, the new movie should have the tone of the recent "Inception" movie by Christopher Nolan. And the cast should be talented actors who will take the role seriously.

I also think the movie should have a stylised look to it, a defining color scheme maybe. A sort of blueish darkish tone to it, because I think the red scanner will contrast well with that.

The potential is definitely there to make Knight Rider more than just an 80s remake or a popcorn flick. They just need the director with the balls to do it.

I also think people are incredibly disrespectful to the acting talent of David Hasselhoff, quite often he is ridiculed as some sort of hasbeen or relic, when in actual fact, he can pull of serious drama with much better conviction and charisma than many so called "actors" in hollywood today.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hasselhoff in a cameo role in the new movie, he at least deserves that. I'm sure he would be great as a sort of Michael Caine esque old wise guy in a short scene.

As for the car, I think it should be designed to look very sleek, minimal and futuristic. It should have a design which will not date quickly or be confined to a certain decade or era. Its definitely possible, they can easily get a designer to create a concept car and then create replicas for any stunts etc.

Also, the car should not be confined to being American only. A japanese or european car could easily be used. Muscle car for this movie I think needs a rest. Let's try something different.

davidknightrider
Rookie

Re: Style of movie? Lighthearted Action or Serious Sci Fi?

Post by davidknightrider » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:16 am

maybe something like this as a teaser poster, then later on they could do more elaborate ones.
a car with minimal styling is best I think. the red scanner should be the standout feature on the car, not the wheels or anything else.
it should look dark and sci fi ready!

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Josch Schulz » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:05 am

You mean like this :good: :mrgreen:

:good:
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

DarylKnight
Rookie

Post by DarylKnight » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:42 pm

Where as I agree on most points, I think your car is a little too of the "super car" variety. I'd like that type of car, that is an edge ahead, but can be seen as a rival to higher rated cars. Great example of this was the old Trans Am, Trans Am alone had that american bad a** heritage too it, and the future lines that gave it the aerodynamic look to be "superior" to other cars. The feelings of the KITT/porsche and the KITT/ferrari (dagger dx) of Knights in the Fast Lane should be recreated. If we're willing to go foreign, then the Nissan GT-R has that type of "look" in question, in my opinion. Domestic, it seems to always fall back on the Camaro or the Corvette, especially now with Pontiac gone.

As for the tone of the movie. Knight Rider possesses the ability to be an awesome, edgy, darker story. Knight of Phoenix's tone, had a much more darker feel then the series ended up with, I'd love to see the original tone carried out.
I could handle it as a light hearted action, ala A-Team, but that's as light as I'd like to see it go. I definitely don't want to make it an accurate parody, like Starsky and Hutch was. I think modern cars has taken the "camp" out of a talking car, so we can definitely stick to a darker realistic based storyline.

Knight94
Operative

Post by Knight94 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:06 pm

I'd prefer a mix of serious sci-fi action w/ some lighthearted humor. I did like the two elements
together in the shows. They keep it more realistic and human. As for the exotic supercar for KITT,
it just doesn't work. I like an American car, like the Mustang, or the Camaro.

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by krrdr2010 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:23 pm

I think they should combine Lighthearted Action and Scerious ScFi. An American Car is the ONLY Way to go on this!!! I liked the A-Team Movie. I know that it made more money Overseas than it did here-Why I don't know. :good: :good:

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:24 am

What kinda car is this on the poster???
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

davidknightrider
Rookie

Post by davidknightrider » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:15 am

its a bmw nazca c2

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:24 pm

davidknightrider wrote:I'm guessing the new movie needs to have virtually no campness or comedy value in it
+1 for no campness. I think "comedy" moments should be carefully woven in and not forced. As I said in another thread, it shouldn't be cringworthy at any point. I'd rather have something completely dark like The Dark Knight, than something campy.

Iron KITT
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Iron KITT » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:27 am

Very difficult to balance out, Glen nailed it perfect first time round, but Knight Rider although ahead of its time it was a product of the 80's. Looking at todays generation of audiances you have to look at what worked and what didnt.

Look at The Dukes Of Hazzard and Starsky & Hutch films, man they were down right awful.

I think the challenges of getting Knight Rider right is allot more difficult for today than it was back in the 80's.

I personally would love to see a Chris Nolan style come Bourne Identity themed Knight Rider which really goes deep into the characters, who they are?, what happens to them that ultimately shapes them into the people they are?, the technology, more importanly why the need for such a guy to go it alone like that, why is the world so dangerious that a guy needs to shoulder that responsibility to more aless save the world?. What makes a guy tick like that? and what kind of toll that would take on a guy to have all that responsibility?.

My take anyway.

:kitt:
Michael Knight: "KITT is the worlds greatest automobile"

My Movie Review Blog:
Sentient Saviour's Movie Wold!. http://sentientsaviourmovies.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:07 pm

Iron KITT wrote:Very difficult to balance out, Glen nailed it perfect first time round, but Knight Rider although ahead of its time it was a product of the 80's. Looking at todays generation of audiances you have to look at what worked and what didnt.

Look at The Dukes Of Hazzard and Starsky & Hutch films, man they were down right awful.

I think the challenges of getting Knight Rider right is allot more difficult for today than it was back in the 80's.

I personally would love to see a Chris Nolan style come Bourne Identity themed Knight Rider which really goes deep into the characters, who they are?, what happens to them that ultimately shapes them into the people they are?, the technology, more importanly why the need for such a guy to go it alone like that, why is the world so dangerious that a guy needs to shoulder that responsibility to more aless save the world?. What makes a guy tick like that? and what kind of toll that would take on a guy to have all that responsibility?.

My take anyway.

:kitt:
i agree we dont need no spoofs or comedy like how starksy and hutch and dukes of hazzard was.deep into the characters .
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008