Killer KITT queries

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightmanbas.
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Killer KITT queries

Post by knightmanbas. » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi, just watched Killer KITT, and a few things struck me as odd. Firstly, when Michael shuts KITT down, after KITT won't contact Bonnie for Michael. Despite this, Berios circuit board keeps gnawing away at KITT, and gains control of him. If you or I shut our PC down while installing something, that program or piece of hardware would not work properly! Secondly, there are a couple of times, after Berio is in charge of KITT, when KITT talks, and we hear that his voice has changed. Yet Michael is sat in the drivers seat, and doesn't seem to hear KITTs new voice. Why?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Killer KITT queries

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:38 am

I can't answer as to why the board took effect after Michael shut kitt dow.I can answer why Michael didn't comment as to Kitt's new voice.During the show's filming all David heard was a guy speaking Kitt's lines through a walkie talkie probably and didn't hear the new voice.The change of voice idea may have come up in the soundstudio later on and never decided to talk about it during the filming.When the show was done,William Daniels only recorded his sessions in a soundstudio and then later on were put into the episode.

knightmanbas.
Volunteer

Post by knightmanbas. » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:10 am

What I mean is, in the programme, surely Michael would've heard KITT talking?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:05 pm

knightmanbas,

As for your first question, I believe what Michael actually was shutting down was K.I.T.T.'s Speech Synthesis Mode. This is a single button on the switch pod as one of K.I.T.T.'s features. (He also uses this in the following episode, "Out Of the Woods.") The only mystery is why Michael presses so many buttons to do this (but he typically punches a bunch of buttons to do the simplest of tasks, anyway, probably because it looks cooler). So this would naturally make his voice silent when Berio finally taps into him. He is simply operating on a different frequency similar to a silent alarm in an office building where you can't hear it inside. Later, when Michael can finally hear K.I.T.T.'s new voice, it's obviously because Berio's new programming overrode all of Michael's commands.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

knightmanbas.
Volunteer

Post by knightmanbas. » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:48 pm

Thanks for that explanation. Another thought has come to me, why does Michael refuse to drive back for the "All Systems Diagnosis?" Surely, KITT, the computer, has been shut down (whether that is the whole system, or just the voice aspect), whereas the Knight 2000,the car, is still operable?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:23 pm

knightmanbas. wrote:Thanks for that explanation. Another thought has come to me, why does Michael refuse to drive back for the "All Systems Diagnosis?" Surely, KITT, the computer, has been shut down (whether that is the whole system, or just the voice aspect), whereas the Knight 2000,the car, is still operable?
No, K.I.T.T.'s A.I. had not been shut down, just his Speech Synthesis Mode. This mode allows K.I.T.T. to alter the sound of his voice, change languages and gives Michael the option of silencing it completely. If K.I.T.T.'s A.I. were entirely shut down, being as it is linked in and controls virtually every function of the Knight 2000 itself, the entire vehicle would have shut down and become inoperable.

Although K.I.T.T. was silenced, he was still very much in control of the Knight 2000. Therefore, since he was disobeying all of Michael's commands and basically reducing them to the point of him needing to make requests, he decided it wasn't safe to bring him in unless under remote control from Bonnie.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Sybaris
Volunteer

Post by Sybaris » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:47 am

Why did KITT turn bad even from one PCB replacement? Hand't the preservation of life been hard coded in to KITTs dominant programm? Surely that is the difference between KITT and KARR.

I guess you could blame the fact that KITT was programmed in BASIC (gee those were the days)

hoffman95
Operative

Post by hoffman95 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:15 am

I watched the episode last night and I have a question.When that woman dressed as Bonnie talks through the speaker wouldn't kitt pick it up that it wasn't Bonnie because I thought kitt could pick up electronic devices????
:kittconv:

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:30 pm

It's great picking apart the episodes lol but wouldn't this suck.....

Fake Bonnie: Hello KITT...

KITT: Hey you're not Bonnie...

ROLL CREDITS

As far as why "Killer" KITT couldn't be heard by Michael, I think KITT would be able to do long range communication without the need to be audible. Similar to using dial up internet and picking up the phone....beeewaahhhwahhbloobooop! lol

hoffman95
Operative

Post by hoffman95 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:20 pm

Stylez wrote:It's great picking apart the episodes lol but wouldn't this suck.....

Fake Bonnie: Hello KITT...

KITT: Hey you're not Bonnie...

ROLL CREDITS

As far as why "Killer" KITT couldn't be heard by Michael, I think KITT would be able to do long range communication
without the need to be audible. Similar to using dial up internet and picking up the phone....beeewaahhhwahhbloobooop! lol
Or a episode like this
OPENING TITLES
KITT:Devons Calling
MICHAEL:Patch Him Through!
DEVON:THERE IS NO ASIGNMENTS HAVE THE DAY OFF!
MICHAEL:Thanks Bye! WOOO HOOO!
KITT:Oh No you are going to play rock and roll all day!
MICHAEL:(laughing)
CREDITS ROLL :lol:
:kittconv: