Knight Rider Festival II DVD

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

Locked
User avatar
tamatt27
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: ATX
Contact:

Knight Rider Festival II DVD

Post by tamatt27 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:47 am

I thought I'd create a thread that's open to discussion on the 'Highlights Reel' for the Festival. What you liked, what you'd want to see on the next one, etc. To those who have it, post pics and reviews.
Paul has informed me that there are only 15 Knight Rider Festival II DVD's left. Those who want one, don't wait.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: Knight Rider Festival II DVD

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:49 pm

So I've been meaning to get to this before the dvds sell out amidst other projects but here is my review of the Knight Rider Festival II event dvd.

First off to table any suspicions, my review of this dvd is strictly from a fan’s point of view and my involvement in the event or with Paul Casey bares no relevance to my review of this product. It is my honest opinion regardless of who may or may not agree with it.

Honestly what can I tell you that won't impress you? From the time my copy arrived in the mail it was well packaged and came in a very slick thin-line clam case with the KRF II poster art on the front and a brief set of pictures on the back. While the packaging isn't particularly professional who really cares about that right? It's what's on the dvd that counts most in my book!

After sitting back with an ice old Mountain Dew and hitting the play button my dvd - the first thing I noticed playing the disc is that the opening grabs you right away with a nice slick Vegas slot-reel style menu and unlike the first KRF dvd thank god, even chapter menus and a great remix loop of Elvis's "Night Rider" used in a new and exciting way.

The show starts with a slick and skillfully edited montage of still photos and video clips set to the catchy upbeat tune, "Only Las Vegas" which Paul Casey so expertly sings hitting every beat with flawless precision while the footage selected echoes the words of his lyrics while showing off the colorful excitement of Vegas. What a great way to dive into everything that went on at Knight Rider Festival II which was no doubt as chaotic to cover as it was to experience. A really nice gamut of photos ranging from my own shots to Knight Rider Online to other members photos are effectively used throughout and I think it's great that everyone who helped make Knight Rider Festival II a success gets their moment to shine either through video or a still image well timed to the beats of the music selected for this fantastic piece.

Now really, this dvd is not going to be as slick as a full on production from a studio, it is very much a candid “on the scene” look at the event. It’s not trying to be an award winning documentary or some dvd commentary bonus feature – it’s the event in all of its honest glory.

You experience Knight Rider Festival II through the “eyes” of a camera whether digital or video. It is a collection of personal fan experience – a plethora of memory spilled out across a digital canvas. In short a visual time machine that lets you feel like you were really there, even if you weren’t present for a particular moment you may have missed (I know I missed a couple here and there).

I can tell you despite the use of varying forms of video quality and aspect ratios - if you did not attend Knight Rider Festival II, you will have the distinct privilege of being able to discover almost everything that occurred there from the opening ceremonies to the KITT cruise. I actually was so exhausted from the activities; I wasn't at the wedding or the cruise so it is nice to see what I missed. I say almost everything because it really was impossible to capture it all.

I really enjoyed watching the coverage of all the fantastic replicas that joined us at last year's event from the original KITT(s) to coverage of Matt's impressive Shelby Knight 3000. There’s such a fantastic range of different replicas at this event. You have Knight Rider past and present and even in some cases like Craig’s imaginative DeceptiKARR Attack Mode, concepts of alternative realities as well where other ideas are allowed to be explored and shared. You even get some exclusive moments with Glen and the WILLITMAKEIT team doing some burnouts where guests weren’t permitted to watch and candid moments in the parking garage as the replicas made their way towards being displayed on Fremont or lining up under the illuminated Vegas sky for the KITT cruise.

Again getting back to what I feel is the most successful of this dvd is the use of improved music that really fits the various sections of the coverage. You get everything from the familiar tunes of “Only Las Vegas” and Don Peake's remix of “A Rockin’ Knight Rider Theme”, to some good ol remixed AC/DC "Back in Black" action, and even a bit of Ozzy, songs from "The Matix", and "Gone in Sixty Seconds".

There are no slow, boring songs here – everything fits the mood, even the addition of Knight Rider 2000’s Jan Hammer theme fits in nicely edited to AJ Palmgrem’s presentation of his historic screen used Knight 4000 picture car.

I really felt this dvd reached a whole new level of improvement from the first release which was pretty much a 45 minute sit through with no chapters and redundant musical tracks. Shooting from the hip, the first dvd was an experiment in what worked and did not work – lessons were clearly learned but with any first of its kind, there’s bound to be a learning curve to adapt to. I can honestly say, with respects to production this dvd steps it up as best as it can with what it has to work with.

The music in this is great, energetic, and keeps your attention while the visuals move along enough for you to enjoy them without being too quick to take in.

I think Matt and his crew has done a fantastic job of balancing exciting graphics with slick editing and great uses of still photography. There's also interviews with the cast/crew as well as some of the car owners that really gives you a nice inside look at how they feel about working on Knight Rider or why they choose to build the replicas they make today. There's also additional entertainment with Extreme Amy's coverage for the news segments covering the event.

There's also ample coverage of Knight Rider creator Glen A. Larson and David Hasselhoff with everything from the opening ceremonies and proclamation presentations to David's speech about making a difference. You really have a great amount of coverage to enjoy here and again the music which is a pivotal part of tying the excitement of this event together - keeps you entertained as the event runs through its course from one chapter to the next.

I particularly enjoyed listening to the Q&A as I was mostly backstage and unable to really hear the stars sharing their experiences working on the show. I would say even if you went to Knight Rider Festival II, you're going to find coverage here that you may not have been aware of or like me, free to enjoy. It is refreshing to be able to go back and discover things I missed and if you missed coming to Knight Rider Festival II, get this dvd - you won't feel left out!

There really is something for everyone here and that's the best part - you can skip to whatever it is interests you most.

I also appreciated the fact Paul Casey does his best to provide a personal narration to guide you through where the dvd starts and ends. He also takes the time to thank the cast/crew, and car owners specifically in the end credits for coming out to support Knight Rider, the festival, and of course the cause to help sick children and their families which is what Knight Rider Festival is all about - making a difference for those who need it most.

I guess my disappointment was not being able to see the Fremont Street Screen “Knight Rider” presentation again but I can just as easily find that coverage on youtube or the first KRF dvd so no harm no foul. I'm sure some fans will bring up that the production could have used better sound in the interviews as well but you also have to keep in mind it is VERY loud on Fremont Street during the event and this dvd is a vast improvement over the first KRF event dvd. I guess another point is consistency - some of the footage and photos are recycled here and there but I honestly don't think it’s that distracting. I guess my suggestion would be trying to put the footage into some sort of chronological order (after the main intro, which of course covers everything) so fans can get an idea of how the event unfolded step by step. Still - I think everyone gets their moment to shine in one form or another at one time or another.

Could it be better? Sure but I think for the money you're going to spend on it - if you did not get to enjoy Knight Rider Festival II, this is your chance to experience what you missed! I think it's great we even have the option of having this dvd available because those two days will never happen again in the manner they occurred - written into history and memory. So many Knight Rider events come and go with little coverage to go back and experience them over again - Knight Rider Festival II had so much going on at one time and went by so fast, it is refreshing to have the ability to see it again and think back on those fond memories created there.

If you regret not going or were unable to attend the event, get this dvd. Don't let it disappear into the sunset. This is Knight Rider history and you will never find a fan event with more coverage with the cast and crew of both generations of Knight Rider, than this one.

Here's looking towards the horizon as Knight Rider Festival III takes shape which will no doubt create even more exciting memories and blossom more footage to collect and share for the next event dvd in the not too distant future.

I'm not going to give this dvd a rating because I think it's really open to interpretation. This dvd is what you choose to make of it but I will say it in traditional Vegas style, the dvd is worth “rolling the dice” and taking a gamble on whether or not you want to add it to your collection. This is a dvd that was made by fans for fans and clearly that passion we all share is captured here and no where else.

In closing this dvd is a honest digital tapestry of what it is to be a Knight Rider fan and why we as a collective group choose to invest our time, money, and talent into keeping the spirit of this franchise alive, despite its shortcomings by one studio or another. Paul Casey has set out to prove that we can be heroes if we choose to be, we can choose to care about things greater than ourselves and make a positive difference in the world not just for our generation but for children who will grow to discover and enjoy the legacy we leave behind as we attempt to beat the odds and allow those less fortunate to smile just one more day and takr comfort in knowing somewhere out there people care to help the innocent, the powerless. and the helpless.

We continue to prove by our support of these events that one fan can make a difference.

:good:

=VK=
:dash:

User avatar
tamatt27
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: ATX
Contact:

Re: Knight Rider Festival II DVD

Post by tamatt27 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:39 pm

Thanks for the awesome review Nick! I did my best to capture my view, as a participant of the festival. Next year will require my fullest attention so everything learned this time around will be put into action for next year. There will be more cameras, better sound, better lighting, interactive menus....a lot of cool stuff in store.
Paul has stated that there's only a few left so contact him (Paul@knightriderfestival.com) to get yours before they're sold out.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27

User avatar
Skav
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Re: Knight Rider Festival II DVD

Post by Skav » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:22 am

I got mine in the mail today and have to comment on something.

I have not watched it yet, and even though Paul Casey claims he does not make any profit from postage, it came to just over $3 on the stamp.

How much does a paper DVD envelope cost to buy in the States? I shouldn't imagine any more than a couple of bucks.

Well, I got charged $15 for international postage!

Whether Casey is making a profit or not, is not the point because somebody is!

I have imported plenty of DVD's from the States in the past and not once have I ever paid $15 shipping on any of them.

The low quality artwork on the cover is neither here or there when it comes to the importance of this issue.

It looks like a print out from a home printer with the printer settings set to "Normal Printing".

Of course, it is rather easy to say to me not to buy the DVD but I put faith in the idea that there may be a valid reason for overcharging and I have not been led to believe there is.

I won't be leaving feedback for Paul Casey and will begrudge buying a DVD for next year's event!

User avatar
tamatt27
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: ATX
Contact:

Re: Knight Rider Festival II DVD

Post by tamatt27 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Skav wrote:I got mine in the mail today and have to comment on something.

I have not watched it yet, and even though Paul Casey claims he does not make any profit from postage, it came to just over $3 on the stamp.

How much does a paper DVD envelope cost to buy in the States? I shouldn't imagine any more than a couple of bucks.

Well, I got charged $15 for international postage!

Whether Casey is making a profit or not, is not the point because somebody is!

I have imported plenty of DVD's from the States in the past and not once have I ever paid $15 shipping on any of them.

The low quality artwork on the cover is neither here or there when it comes to the importance of this issue.

It looks like a print out from a home printer with the printer settings set to "Normal Printing".

Of course, it is rather easy to say to me not to buy the DVD but I put faith in the idea that there may be a valid reason for overcharging and I have not been led to believe there is.

I won't be leaving feedback for Paul Casey and will begrudge buying a DVD for next year's event!

A few things....
-Why are you commenting on the DVD if you haven't watched it yet? Did you buy it for the artwork?
-Any money that is made from the DVD is donated to charity. I can assure you Paul and those involved with the DVD are not profiting from it. I worked on this DVD for 3-4 hours a night for 2 and a half months and I haven't seen a dime of money from it! I created the video because I felt it was a worthwhile cause (any 'profit' goes to the Children's Miracle Network) and I'm glad I was able to contribute to the community!
-You're not going to buy the DVD from next year's event because you're not impressed with the artwork quality and international shipping? Would you like to watch the DVD first before making that claim?!
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27

User avatar
Skav
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Re: Knight Rider Festival II DVD

Post by Skav » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:50 pm

tamatt27 wrote:
Skav wrote:I got mine in the mail today and have to comment on something.

I have not watched it yet, and even though Paul Casey claims he does not make any profit from postage, it came to just over $3 on the stamp.

How much does a paper DVD envelope cost to buy in the States? I shouldn't imagine any more than a couple of bucks.

Well, I got charged $15 for international postage!

Whether Casey is making a profit or not, is not the point because somebody is!

I have imported plenty of DVD's from the States in the past and not once have I ever paid $15 shipping on any of them.

The low quality artwork on the cover is neither here or there when it comes to the importance of this issue.

It looks like a print out from a home printer with the printer settings set to "Normal Printing".

Of course, it is rather easy to say to me not to buy the DVD but I put faith in the idea that there may be a valid reason for overcharging and I have not been led to believe there is.

I won't be leaving feedback for Paul Casey and will begrudge buying a DVD for next year's event!

A few things....
-Why are you commenting on the DVD if you haven't watched it yet? Did you buy it for the artwork?
-Any money that is made from the DVD is donated to charity. I can assure you Paul and those involved with the DVD are not profiting from it. I worked on this DVD for 3-4 hours a night for 2 and a half months and I haven't seen a dime of money from it! I created the video because I felt it was a worthwhile cause (any 'profit' goes to the Children's Miracle Network) and I'm glad I was able to contribute to the community!
-You're not going to buy the DVD from next year's event because you're not impressed with the artwork quality and international shipping? Would you like to watch the DVD first before making that claim?!



Tamatt,

To answer your first question, my comments were about the DVD's postage, primarily, so why would I need to watch the DVD?

Yes, I had wondered after I wrote my first post if a reply to me would say that any excess money would be donated to the Children's Charity.

That's absolutely fine with me!

But whoever setup the Ebay auctions for the DVD's needs to put that information on the auction to prevent responses like this.

I believe you when you say you have not make money from the DVD's.

I never said I wouldn't buy a DVD from next year's event. I said I would "begrudge" buying one.

I am attending next year's event but all information should be disclosed to the public regarding extra charging of postage to international customers if these DVD's are to be sold outside the US, in fact, I'd say that information should be given to the public about the money being donated to the charity from the DVD's, themselves, too.

Given the fact that US customers receive free postage of the DVD, at a rough guess, international customers donate more to the charity than US residents do.

Any other typical Ebayer would have given the auction seller (is it you or Paul Casey?) a negative feedback for overcharging on postage without stating the reason on the auction!

That's more or less a given on Ebay in general but I am not going to do that since the reason is for a good cause.

If a reason was given on the website for the extra postage charge then you wouldn't have got responses like this, which I think I had a right to bring up.

As for the DVD itself, I've watched it and it's decent.

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: Knight Rider Festival II DVD

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:48 pm

Given the fact that US customers receive free postage of the DVD, at a rough guess, international customers donate more to the charity than US residents do.


- Since when do US customers receive "free" postage? It clearly states on the KRF webstore ($24.95 with domestic shipping) that domestic shipping is factored into the price of the dvd? In regards to international shippers paying more - blame the united states postal service and affiliates for this. I agree international shipping is outrageously expensive and borders on extortion but it is not the sellers' fault for the inflation in shipping, it's the post office and international shippers themselves.

It's a poor excuse to complain about excessive postage costs when you're not paying for the packaging, you're paying for the content and the fact that it will get to your doorstep without getting lost. How much is that kind of product delivery assurance worth to you? I'll tell you this much, yes the packaging could be better but you don't buy a movie in a store just for the box do you?

You see my point here? Honestly, try to look at it from the seller's perspective. As a ebay vendor myself, I try very hard to give people the best prices possible while working with the overpriced shipping costs and I found USPS personally to be the cheapest and safest option for my business.

Leaving negative feedback over the price of shipping wouldn't reflect positively on you and as Matt said, it's for charity anyway and IT DOESN'T MATTER if international folks donate more to the charity than domestic - giving is giving. If you wanted to buy the event dvd for purposes of experienceing the event - that's exactly what you got.

Paul Casey doesn't run some big time production company that can produce studio quality packaging and dvd quality at a trendy price - he does the best he can with what he has to work with and I will say unlike last year's dvd, I was more impressed with this year's release. Had this dvd been as weakly produced as the first event dvd, I'd be inclined to agree with you - but clearly it was a vast improvement.

Matt's addition to the team and his decision to donate his talent clearly shows his skill and passion to present the event in the best way possible with what he had to work with - all things considered, I think he did a fantastic job and because of his involvement we have a dvd we can be proud to watch with others and enjoy.

Maybe next year the packaging will be more to your liking as I know Paul does his best to step up his game with each passing event. I mean no disrespect here and I believe in a "to each their own" policy on opposing viewponts and opinions but I would just suggest instead of judging a book (or dvd in this case) by its cover, maybe you should judge why it exists. This dvd exists because Paul cared enough to make it availible. We make a choice to buy his products.

Anyway, that's how I see it and even if I wasn't part of the KRF team, I'd be pretty pleased with the final product - you can always make better artwork like I did for last year's dvd but for me it's what is inside that counts.

=VK=
:dash:

User avatar
Skav
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Re: Knight Rider Festival II DVD

Post by Skav » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:27 pm

Victor Kros wrote:
Given the fact that US customers receive free postage of the DVD, at a rough guess, international customers donate more to the charity than US residents do.


- Since when do US customers receive "free" postage? It clearly states on the KRF webstore ($24.95 with domestic shipping) that domestic shipping is factored into the price of the dvd? In regards to international shippers paying more - blame the united states postal service and affiliates for this. I agree international shipping is outrageously expensive and borders on extortion but it is not the sellers' fault for the inflation in shipping, it's the post office and international shippers themselves.

It's a poor excuse to complain about excessive postage costs when you're not paying for the packaging, you're paying for the content and the fact that it will get to your doorstep without getting lost. How much is that kind of product delivery assurance worth to you? I'll tell you this much, yes the packaging could be better but you don't buy a movie in a store just for the box do you?

You see my point here? Honestly, try to look at it from the seller's perspective. As a ebay vendor myself, I try very hard to give people the best prices possible while working with the overpriced shipping costs and I found USPS personally to be the cheapest and safest option for my business.

Leaving negative feedback over the price of shipping wouldn't reflect positively on you and as Matt said, it's for charity anyway and IT DOESN'T MATTER if international folks donate more to the charity than domestic - giving is giving. If you wanted to buy the event dvd for purposes of experienceing the event - that's exactly what you got.

Paul Casey doesn't run some big time production company that can produce studio quality packaging and dvd quality at a trendy price - he does the best he can with what he has to work with and I will say unlike last year's dvd, I was more impressed with this year's release. Had this dvd been as weakly produced as the first event dvd, I'd be inclined to agree with you - but clearly it was a vast improvement.

Matt's addition to the team and his decision to donate his talent clearly shows his skill and passion to present the event in the best way possible with what he had to work with - all things considered, I think he did a fantastic job and because of his involvement we have a dvd we can be proud to watch with others and enjoy.

Maybe next year the packaging will be more to your liking as I know Paul does his best to step up his game with each passing event. I mean no disrespect here and I believe in a "to each their own" policy on opposing viewponts and opinions but I would just suggest instead of judging a book (or dvd in this case) by its cover, maybe you should judge why it exists. This dvd exists because Paul cared enough to make it availible. We make a choice to buy his products.

Anyway, that's how I see it and even if I wasn't part of the KRF team, I'd be pretty pleased with the final product - you can always make better artwork like I did for last year's dvd but for me it's what is inside that counts.

=VK=
:dash:


Wow, Nick, the artwork was a side comment but it amazes me how much of a nerve that comment has struck!

And, Nick, I did not check out the KRF website, I got my information from the Ebay auction since that is where I purchased my copy and there, it clearly states FREE postage to US customers!

Check it out for yourself:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

And I think you have your wires crossed, I am not pointing out the issue about whether it is fair that US customers get free shipping and international customers do not, as quite clearly, being an Ebay *vendor myself*, shipping charges are extra for foreign custom, I was pointing out the excess shipping charge without knowing the reason why I paid extra.

The donating information should have been stated on the auction and this would have prevented me bringing the point up, yet I was told after.

And I disagree - a customer pays for the packaging AND the DVD. I'm not even going to comment more on the artwork as it is obviously not as much of a big deal to me as it is to some of you.

You say try to see it from a seller's perspective. If you said that to all your customers, no doubt they would run a mile!

I am a seller, I sell the same products regularly so I know both sides of the deal!

Leaving negative feedback would actually reflect positively on me to the general public since the donating information is not stated on the auction.

To regular Knight Rider members - yes.

However, I already stated that I am not going to leave a negative since I now know the full circumstances of why I was charged extra and now I wouldn't even think of doing it.

It's simple - put the info in the auction, say something such as "part or all proceeds of dvd/shipping go to charity" or something to that degree and there wouldn't have been a problem.

I did not purchase last year's DVD so I cannot comment on the quality between the two and the one thing I will admit to is my overestimation of Paul Casey as I did, indeed, think he was capable of much more as he certainly gives that impression!

And for that, I apologise.

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: Knight Rider Festival II DVD

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:20 pm

It's simple - put the info in the auction, say something such as "part or all proceeds of dvd/shipping go to charity" or something to that degree and there wouldn't have been a problem.


- Except that even when you do list you're doing it for charity, then people expect you to give 100% of the profits to the charity which with mounting production costs, shipping costs, ebay fees, and so on is also unrealistic. For example Nate Truman listed some KITT wheels and rims from his car that David Hasselhoff drove to Pinks - stating it was for charity and people complained that he didn't give all his profits away from the auction - then went on to try and cheapen his efforts by saying he was taking advantage of Hasselhoff's influence to drive up the price of his auction.

Petty and rediculous.

So it can really be a double edged sword. Would it have helped to say it was charity? Sure, but if you know what Knight Rider Festival is - you should already know merchandise was created specifically for charity as it was advertised and underscored prior to the event taking place all across the web and web forums.

I disagree that posting negative feedback about shipping would aid you - because clearly his feedback is 100% positive which means he must be doing something right. On ebay, once you post negative feedback on someone's record, it's permanently damaging and can't be taken back. I think such actions should only be taken if you don't receive something, receive it and its broken and a seller refuses to replace it, or if someone just plain rips you off entirely - you know, extreme circumstances. Still, to each their own.

I understand your frustrations but I don't think it's necessary to post "a review" in such a way it would hurt the sales of the product or the image of the producer when it is being done for a greater cause than just ego or personal profit.

I think to that extent we agree - it is for a greater good which is charity.

If you're going to "review" something, it's only fair to wait until you've had a chance to really experience it before posting up negative reactions. I think there's a difference between a first impression and a review - using the term "review" impies to me a past tense experience. "I watched this movie, here is my review of it" - not like "I saw a movie trailer, the movie will probably bomb because I haven't watched it yet, but I didn't like the footage."

Maybe the trailer sucks, but the movie might actually be good.

That's all I'm saying. As I stated before I mean no disrespect. I know you're a passionate Knight Rider fan with certain expectations and you've purchased things from me as well. I'm just saying when there's a majority who support something and someone who doesn't - you're opening yourself up to conflicting opinions. I wouldn't take them personal.

=VK=
:dash:

User avatar
tamatt27
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: ATX
Contact:

Re: Knight Rider Festival II DVD

Post by tamatt27 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:47 pm

Skav wrote:Tamatt,

To answer your first question, my comments were about the DVD's postage, primarily, so why would I need to watch the DVD?

Yes, I had wondered after I wrote my first post if a reply to me would say that any excess money would be donated to the Children's Charity.

That's absolutely fine with me!

But whoever setup the Ebay auctions for the DVD's needs to put that information on the auction to prevent responses like this.

I believe you when you say you have not make money from the DVD's.

I never said I wouldn't buy a DVD from next year's event. I said I would "begrudge" buying one.

I am attending next year's event but all information should be disclosed to the public regarding extra charging of postage to international customers if these DVD's are to be sold outside the US, in fact, I'd say that information should be given to the public about the money being donated to the charity from the DVD's, themselves, too.

Given the fact that US customers receive free postage of the DVD, at a rough guess, international customers donate more to the charity than US residents do.

Any other typical Ebayer would have given the auction seller (is it you or Paul Casey?) a negative feedback for overcharging on postage without stating the reason on the auction!

That's more or less a given on Ebay in general but I am not going to do that since the reason is for a good cause.

If a reason was given on the website for the extra postage charge then you wouldn't have got responses like this, which I think I had a right to bring up.

As for the DVD itself, I've watched it and it's decent.

In a thread for 'reviews' on the DVD, I would think it pertinent to review the whole package before posting said review. I understand your complaint about the postage not being labeled in the auction. Does it matter if it was me or Paul to had the auction?
The public was made well aware that the entire event was for charity. It is listed on the official website and was announced numerous times during the event. If you attended, it shouldn't come as a surprise that any profits were donated to charity.
I don't want to come off as a jerk who can't take criticism. That's not the case. I do feel as if I'm being given the short end of the stick in your post because it's a completely lopsided argument.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27

User avatar
Matthew
Site Administrator
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:01 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: England

Re: Knight Rider Festival II DVD

Post by Matthew » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:37 pm

Gentlemen,

From my perspective, it would seem that what Skav is saying is that the eBay auction doesn’t provide all of the information that’s necessary for it to adequately stand on its own two feet. Thus far, the responses from you both have confirmed this.

As a result, I feel it’s necessary to note that someone shouldn’t have to be a member of this community, with foreknowledge of the official website, to place a bid on eBay. To have suggested anything other than the auction being able to stand on its own is short-sighted, as it suggests as a prerequisite, that any bidder should be a part of the Knight Rider community, which is something that the vast majority of eBay members will not be.

It’s time to rethink where you stand, and work to correct these shortcomings... not excuse them. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: Knight Rider Festival II DVD

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:22 am

Matthew wrote:Gentlemen,

From my perspective, it would seem that what Skav is saying is that the eBay auction doesn’t provide all of the information that’s necessary for it to adequately stand on its own two feet. Thus far, the responses from you both have confirmed this.

As a result, I feel it’s necessary to note that someone shouldn’t have to be a member of this community, with foreknowledge of the official website, to place a bid on eBay. To have suggested anything other than the auction being able to stand on its own is short-sighted, as it suggests as a prerequisite, that any bidder should be a part of the Knight Rider community, which is something that the vast majority of eBay members will not be.

It’s time to rethink where you stand, and work to correct these shortcomings... not excuse them. :good:

Matt


With all due respect to you Matthew, Skav is a member of the Knight Rider community and the person whose concerns are put into question, not some average non-fan guy flipping through ebay who decided to put a bid on a item they happened to find there. Therefore my comments were directed towards his experience, not the experience of the average consumer which is where our viewpoints differ.

Had this been solely about the lack of mention of charity in the listing, I might have been inclinded to agree but it went deeper than that. I then responded by playing devil's advocate and explaining that even if mentioning charity was included, it can still have a negative "double edged sword" effect - I don't find that short-sighted whatsoever, I find that informative and fair.

If you are willing to pay money for a Knight Rider event dvd, chances are the average person who would be interested in it (as it is a specialized item) would have the foresite to research what it was about before choosing to pay for it - or at the very least ask the seller questions before making a bid which is a binding contract in which said buyer agrees to pay the full price asked by the seller.

As far as I can tell there was never any official dvd artwork released of pictures of the final product which was pre-sold before it was even completed. It would be an entirely different matter if the product was advertised as being one thing and was sold as another.

Matt S and my responses are not limited to just the "charity" angle of this discussion. Clearly there was a lack of judgement and or research before a decision was made to reflect negatively on this product or "review" it in a public fashion. I find it only fair such "short-sighted" observations be further explored and placed in the proper context and that's exactly what I did while maintaining respect for an opposing viewpoint.

As a friend, I find the last line of your response, lacking that respect for our differeing opinions by implying we need to correct them.

I suppose my bottom line here is its unfortunate that Skav was disappointed with his purchase, hopefully other fans will feel differently and we've voiced our viewpoints so they have enough information from both sides of the coin in which to make an informed decision on what they'd like to do and what to expect.

I stand by my review and my viewpoint of this matter and how it was handled 100%.

=VK=
:dash:

User avatar
Skav
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Re: Knight Rider Festival II DVD

Post by Skav » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:56 am

Nick, even though I have been a member of this site for about, whoa...it must be about 10 years now. (Gosh, I'm getting old), I will admit that I don't really post much on this forum anymore and nor do I take notice of every intricate detail of KR events or whatever else is going on.

Yes, I am aware that the KRF in Vegas was for charity, and even if I was to suspect that the extra cost was for donation, I would still want clarification, so either way, the information should still be included.

It's just good business sense and this is no different to any other Ebay purchase where a customer wonders why he has paid about 10 bucks extra, member of KRO or not.

Yes, I could have asked the seller questions but it says 'Paul Casey does not make profit from shipping' so I took it as that it really cost that much to send it, however much it mystified me before the DVD arrived.

Besides, tell every ebayer that they should have asked the seller a question, that's just not the way the world works.

Anyway, Matthew said it best, it is a learning experience and I will apologise and say sorry for being ill informed and thinking that the DVD was made professionally but as I said, I don't really keep up to date anymore with every piece of news that is going on in the KR world as I have other things that require my attention.

I no longer would begrudge buying a DVD for next year's event as I now know all the facts!

I'm not sure why a big deal is being made about my comments about the cover art but whatever.

I've said my piece and I stick by it.

On another note, in respect to this thread, the DVD itself is good.

Things I liked:

- Coverage of the Q&A session
- Photos
- Footage of Casey on the horse (I missed this as I got there late)
- Hasselhoff doing his speech (I missed this also)
- The wedding
- Interviews with some of the car owners

Things that I think could be improved:

- I would like a longer running time as those 56 minutes flew by
- Full coverage of the Q&A session
- I don't remember this being there but I would like footage of the fans getting their stuff signed
- There were lots of footage of the cruise down the strip available here at one time so perhaps a deal can be worked out to use that footage for next year's DVD?
- I was going to suggest that comments be taken from the public who attend the event on the day to give their thoughts but this would require a lot of effort and would sacrifice the enjoyment of the interviewer who attends it themselves.

Overall, the DVD was a pretty solid experience! :good:

Locked