I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

Locked
knight56
Rookie
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:45 pm

I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by knight56 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:49 pm

I have never been to one. Iam from San Antonio Texas and iam 30 years olds and a BIG fan of KR. But please help on basic info on how much would i have to save or spend.

User avatar
tamatt27
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: ATX
Contact:

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by tamatt27 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:57 pm

Well I towed my car from Austin and we spent about $500 in gas. The hotel room for 4 days was around $300. If you factor in food (we ate sandwiches most of the time) and souvenirs it was pretty pricey.
That said, though, if you fly or drive a much more fuel efficient car you could save $$ there. If you stay for only the event, that's only 2 nights of hotel rooms. If you don't eat out and don't get any souvenirs then you could come out much cheaper.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27

User avatar
Michael Pajaro
Advisor
Posts: 3082
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat May 22, 2010 10:14 pm

Here are some reasonable estimates for expenses:

You're going to want to fly from San Antonio; roundtrip airfare on Southwest Airlines is about $300.

You'll could probably get away with staying just one night, but I really recommend you stick around for Friday & Saturday night. Hotel rooms in Vegas along Fremont street (where the festival is) might go for $150-$200 a night. You can get Vegas rooms for under $100, but then you'll spend a lot of extra cash on cab fare.

Your food costs are up to you. If you want to eat fast food along Fremont Street, you can get by on $25 a day eating pizza and hot dogs (which sounds pretty good to me!) If you're going to eat at the restaurants at the hotesl, you can easily spend $50-$75 for dinner. Or $200. Entirely up to you.

If I were coming from Texas, I would set aside $750. Just ballparking. That should cover airfare, hotel, and food. The festival itself is free, so you won't have to worry about any entrance fees (although there may be merchandise you'll want to buy.) If you want to fly up Friday morning and leave Saturday night, you could easily do it for $500.

Spend responsibly. But I prefer to think of Knight Rider Festival as an "opportunity" than an "expense."

Hope you can make it!
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

User avatar
Michael Pajaro
Advisor
Posts: 3082
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat May 22, 2010 10:30 pm

And just one other point I want to emphasize... I want to make sure people don't make the connection that "the Knight Rider Festival is expensive."

Traveling is expensive; the festival is dirt cheap. If you lived in Vegas, this year's event would have cost you nothing at all. I've been to my fair share of other fan conventions and they are not cheap; it is CRAZY how much you get to see and do for FREE at the Knight Rider Festival.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knight56
Rookie
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:45 pm

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by knight56 » Sun May 23, 2010 12:56 am

oh i dont drive lol but i get around on buss like public buss.

stevefawcett
Operative
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:30 am

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by stevefawcett » Sun May 23, 2010 3:34 am

get a cheap flight, cab from vegas airport is $40 everything you need is on freemont where the event is, the event is free, you just have to pay a small fee for autographs and grab a tshirt etc

User avatar
Skav
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by Skav » Sun May 23, 2010 9:38 am

Can I just ask if KRF III will play out the same way on the Friday next year like it did this year?

What I am saying is that me and my friend thought that it was an all day event on Friday and we got there way too early and then when things kicked off in the evening, we got there a little late (we went back to the strip) because we had no idea when things were going to start.

Will it be a 5pm start for Friday?

sfusco3
Rookie
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:50 pm

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by sfusco3 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:52 am

This years trip cost me $1000 for the week, the following makes up the cost hotel stay tues-tues $490, $280 in taxi rides, food, and tickets to see the shows. The cost me of me shipping my car out there was the expensive part $3000 for that.

Slade
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by Slade » Sun May 23, 2010 12:27 pm

Skav wrote:Can I just ask if KRF III will play out the same way on the Friday next year like it did this year?

What I am saying is that me and my friend thought that it was an all day event on Friday and we got there way too early and then when things kicked off in the evening, we got there a little late (we went back to the strip) because we had no idea when things were going to start.

Will it be a 5pm start for Friday?


Yeah I was there early too.The local news said things started at around 11am,I was walking around most of the day with nothing to do :(

The trip didnt cost me that much,but thats cuz I stayed with family,I think I spent 60 bucks on gas and maybe 20 for food.I might do the same thing next year and stay with family again even if I have my KI3T replica or not :)
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

User avatar
tamatt27
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: ATX
Contact:

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by tamatt27 » Sun May 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Skav wrote:Can I just ask if KRF III will play out the same way on the Friday next year like it did this year?

What I am saying is that me and my friend thought that it was an all day event on Friday and we got there way too early and then when things kicked off in the evening, we got there a little late (we went back to the strip) because we had no idea when things were going to start.

Will it be a 5pm start for Friday?

I'm afraid that kind of stuff probably won't be hashed out until a few months before the event I'd imagine. I know Paul has some big things planned for the third installment and once he gets those hashed out...then comes time to putting it all together. It's a HUGE undertaking putting all this together and it takes time to put it all together. I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine that's how it would play out.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27

User avatar
TurboBoostMan
Operative
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:14 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by TurboBoostMan » Sun May 23, 2010 4:14 pm

I myself am in the same situation. I will take these suggestions into consideration.
"One Man Can Make A Difference" - Wilton Knight

User avatar
Alex
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 926
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:57 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Portugal

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by Alex » Sun May 23, 2010 5:14 pm

Balls... :shock:

The aeroplane, the taxi, the hotels, the foods and the Pizza (I love the hot dog! :P ), it is very good! And also the city more beautiful Las Vegas and the shows Knight Rider Festival, the VIP and many others are very expensive!

My God...you need the cheapest prices...but why so expensive? :roll:

I love Las Vegas! Elvis Presley is very cool, Paul Casey. :good:

The show Knight Rider Festival III! :D

Knight Rider! 8)

Alex

User avatar
Skav
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by Skav » Sun May 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Slade wrote:
Skav wrote:Can I just ask if KRF III will play out the same way on the Friday next year like it did this year?

What I am saying is that me and my friend thought that it was an all day event on Friday and we got there way too early and then when things kicked off in the evening, we got there a little late (we went back to the strip) because we had no idea when things were going to start.

Will it be a 5pm start for Friday?


Yeah I was there early too.The local news said things started at around 11am,I was walking around most of the day with nothing to do :(

The trip didnt cost me that much,but thats cuz I stayed with family,I think I spent 60 bucks on gas and maybe 20 for food.I might do the same thing next year and stay with family again even if I have my KI3T replica or not :)


Hey Slade, glad to know me and my friend were not the only ones who turned up early.

tamatt27 wrote:
Skav wrote:Can I just ask if KRF III will play out the same way on the Friday next year like it did this year?

What I am saying is that me and my friend thought that it was an all day event on Friday and we got there way too early and then when things kicked off in the evening, we got there a little late (we went back to the strip) because we had no idea when things were going to start.

Will it be a 5pm start for Friday?

I'm afraid that kind of stuff probably won't be hashed out until a few months before the event I'd imagine. I know Paul has some big things planned for the third installment and once he gets those hashed out...then comes time to putting it all together. It's a HUGE undertaking putting all this together and it takes time to put it all together. I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine that's how it would play out.



tamatt, yeah I had a feeling I was asking too early but thought I would give it a shot anyway.


In regards to the thread question, well, I came all the way from England and the trip cost well over a grand (in British Pounds) but it was well worth it!

I'm coming back next March, no if's or but's!

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by Victor Kros » Sun May 23, 2010 8:36 pm

Friday tends to be like a "kick-off" preview night to Knight Rider Festival which usually consists of the opening ceremonies and VIP party. Saturday is usually the full day of events. If I were you though, a great deal of the action and excitement takes place Friday night, especially at the VIP party and if you were there last year, you know how much of a frenzy it was when David and the rest of the celebs arrived.

My advice is to plan to do things Friday morning/afternoon and then make sure you are at the stage around 4:30 to catch the opening ceremonies which is a CAN NOT MISS event and make sure if you enjoy celebs or want to try and get autographs, you get your ticket into the VIP party where you never know what is going to happen or who you'll run into.

It is too early to give any kind of schedule or run down of events but we have some new things this year that the previous events did not have that will make this celebration truly historic. You will not want to be left out because this time I can promise you what suprises we have in store will never be duplicated anywhere else.

I live in CA so basically I try to carpool with my friends to drive to Vegas rather than fly - especially since I have so much stuff I have to set up for tables and whatnot, merchandise to carry and so on.

I tend to stay at the Golden Nugget under their special room rates (KRF discount is great! - Personally I upgrade to the Gold Rush Tower which is absolutely worth every penny!). I need to be as close to Fremont's 1st street stage as possible to get my stuff from my room to set up near the stage and I can tell you, it can take upwards of 15 minutes just to get from your room to the lobby! That's the Golden Nugget, imagine if you're coming from Luxor or The Mirage, or Rio.

You might find hotel rooms cheaper but keep in mind that it's going to cost you more money to take taxies back and forth to Fremont if you choose to stay somewhere distanced from the event. Traffic is also a nightmare the later it gets, especially on the strip and you don't want to miss out - especially the VIP party.

For food, there's a McDonalds in Fitzgeralds with some crazy deals if you're the fast food type. There's also mini eateries inside the hotels that have pizza, pretzels, deli sandwiches and so on if you want something more trendy. If you're the buffet type, they have some great options as well. I'd shop around on the buffet though as the one inside the Golden Nugget is pretty popular and not cheap though you might find some coupons in your room package that can help with costs. My main advice if you can manage it is buy yourself a couple of bottles or cans of soda and bring them with you to store in your room. You can always get free ice and you can avoid the very steep prices on canned sodas in the vending machines and in room beverage options. It gets hot in Vegas, you're gonna get thirsty!

Likewise with chips and other snacks. My buddy Daniel and I like to hit up the local Wal Mart and pick up supplies there for reasonable prices. Also for me, KRF can be a very exhaustive experience with a lot of things going on at one time that you need to be alert for - my vice is getting some 5 hour energy drinks - they work wonders!

We're about 10 months out, time to start saving and start planning - don't wait until the last minute! Keep in mind as much as everything (sans autographs/VIP party) is free, Knight Rider Festival III is first and foremost about raising money for The Children's Miracle Network using Knight Rider as a vehicle to make a difference in the lives of sick children and their families who desperately need heroes to believe in.

You can be a hero, you can make a difference, you can make a choice. Choose to care. It doesn't matter if you donate $5.00 or $500.00. Whether you give 10% or 100%, giving is giving and it all helps.

History is in the making, hope to see you become a part of it.

=VK=
:dash:

User avatar
Skav
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by Skav » Mon May 24, 2010 10:55 am

Victor Kros wrote:Friday tends to be like a "kick-off" preview night to Knight Rider Festival which usually consists of the opening ceremonies and VIP party. Saturday is usually the full day of events. If I were you though, a great deal of the action and excitement takes place Friday night, especially at the VIP party and if you were there last year, you know how much of a frenzy it was when David and the rest of the celebs arrived.

My advice is to plan to do things Friday morning/afternoon and then make sure you are at the stage around 4:30 to catch the opening ceremonies which is a CAN NOT MISS event and make sure if you enjoy celebs or want to try and get autographs, you get your ticket into the VIP party where you never know what is going to happen or who you'll run into.

It is too early to give any kind of schedule or run down of events but we have some new things this year that the previous events did not have that will make this celebration truly historic. You will not want to be left out because this time I can promise you what suprises we have in store will never be duplicated anywhere else.

I live in CA so basically I try to carpool with my friends to drive to Vegas rather than fly - especially since I have so much stuff I have to set up for tables and whatnot, merchandise to carry and so on.

I tend to stay at the Golden Nugget under their special room rates (KRF discount is great! - Personally I upgrade to the Gold Rush Tower which is absolutely worth every penny!). I need to be as close to Fremont's 1st street stage as possible to get my stuff from my room to set up near the stage and I can tell you, it can take upwards of 15 minutes just to get from your room to the lobby! That's the Golden Nugget, imagine if you're coming from Luxor or The Mirage, or Rio.

You might find hotel rooms cheaper but keep in mind that it's going to cost you more money to take taxies back and forth to Fremont if you choose to stay somewhere distanced from the event. Traffic is also a nightmare the later it gets, especially on the strip and you don't want to miss out - especially the VIP party.

For food, there's a McDonalds in Fitzgeralds with some crazy deals if you're the fast food type. There's also mini eateries inside the hotels that have pizza, pretzels, deli sandwiches and so on if you want something more trendy. If you're the buffet type, they have some great options as well. I'd shop around on the buffet though as the one inside the Golden Nugget is pretty popular and not cheap though you might find some coupons in your room package that can help with costs. My main advice if you can manage it is buy yourself a couple of bottles or cans of soda and bring them with you to store in your room. You can always get free ice and you can avoid the very steep prices on canned sodas in the vending machines and in room beverage options. It gets hot in Vegas, you're gonna get thirsty!

Likewise with chips and other snacks. My buddy Daniel and I like to hit up the local Wal Mart and pick up supplies there for reasonable prices. Also for me, KRF can be a very exhaustive experience with a lot of things going on at one time that you need to be alert for - my vice is getting some 5 hour energy drinks - they work wonders!

We're about 10 months out, time to start saving and start planning - don't wait until the last minute! Keep in mind as much as everything (sans autographs/VIP party) is free, Knight Rider Festival III is first and foremost about raising money for The Children's Miracle Network using Knight Rider as a vehicle to make a difference in the lives of sick children and their families who desperately need heroes to believe in.

You can be a hero, you can make a difference, you can make a choice. Choose to care. It doesn't matter if you donate $5.00 or $500.00. Whether you give 10% or 100%, giving is giving and it all helps.

History is in the making, hope to see you become a part of it.

=VK=
:dash:


Good post, Nick, very informative! :good:

Slade
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by Slade » Mon May 24, 2010 3:28 pm

Skav wrote:
Hey Slade, glad to know me and my friend were not the only ones who turned up early.


Did I by anychance run into you guys?I was the guy with flame cane if that rings any bells? :)
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

User avatar
Skav
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: England, UK
Contact:

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by Skav » Mon May 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Slade wrote:
Skav wrote:
Hey Slade, glad to know me and my friend were not the only ones who turned up early.


Did I by anychance run into you guys?I was the guy with flame cane if that rings any bells? :)


No, dude, but I'll be sure to say hi next year if I see ya!

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by Victor Kros » Tue May 25, 2010 2:55 am

Skav wrote:
Slade wrote:
Skav wrote:
Hey Slade, glad to know me and my friend were not the only ones who turned up early.


Did I by anychance run into you guys?I was the guy with flame cane if that rings any bells? :)


No, dude, but I'll be sure to say hi next year if I see ya!


- Slade is one cool dude! He was VERY helpful assisting me with my table last year - definately a guy you want to know. I'm totally looking forward to meeting him again and you as well Skav - but we'll see one aother at Knightcon first ;)

=VK=
:dash:

User avatar
Alex
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 926
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:57 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Portugal

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by Alex » Tue May 25, 2010 3:33 am

Slade, you are the best! 8)

Alex

Slade
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: I want to go to Knight Rider Festival III but...

Post by Slade » Tue May 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Hey I was just glad to be on the team,I dont mind helping out again next year either :wink: I guess you could say I was helping make a difference too in another way :good:
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

Locked