Time has passed and...

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Time has passed and...

Post by pheonix_knight » Wed May 19, 2010 11:31 pm

...its been a while since I contributed on here...

Hope everyone is well!

My reason for coming back was to check on any developments with Movie which was supposed to have been 'in the works' way back in 07/08 before the BD pilot and subsequent 17 ep series...

I seem to remember comments that (according to some apparently well informed contributors here) there would be some kind of storm hindering the series and that the movie was Larson's project, although he was given the obligatory 'Exec' title when the 08 TV incarnation aired.

Returning to this site in 2010, I notice that the 'movie' section has been removed and don't recall any storm back in 08 (although the latter could be down to me being over in the UK and not privvy to the ins and outs of US TV politics but I thought this forum would keep the globabl KR fanbase in the loop either way)

What have I missed??

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Time has passed and...

Post by Victor Kros » Thu May 20, 2010 5:37 pm

The motion picture section hasn't been removed? It's in the general forum list with its own section. The "storm" you're referring to was between Larson and Universal over the release of the backdoor pilot and there was an agreement made at the last minute to allow it and the series to move forward. All I can say is Glen believes in family coming first before business. Information of this type changes from week to week and I chose to no longer disclose matters that aren't set in stone.

As for the motion picture, it's in the 4th script revision now due to complications with the studio that was set to make the picture but has since then been revealed as unable to do so. It's unfortunate but such is Hollywood - still the movie continues to move forward. All it takes is the right demand and studio interest to fast track it into pre-production. It is my hope, the A-Team movie is successful enough to create that newfound interest.

Other than that, I'd just suggest reading the threads to catch up on everything else (like Knight Rider Festival II) and welcome back.

=VK=
:dash:

knight56
Rookie

Post by knight56 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:47 pm

If they can make a A TEAM MOVIE AND A DUKES MOVIE CANT they make a KR movie?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sat May 22, 2010 8:10 pm

knight56 wrote:If they can make a A TEAM MOVIE AND A DUKES MOVIE CANT they make a KR movie?
- Well anyone can make a movie, the problem is trying to make a GOOD movie that won't get fast tracked to the bargain bin at the local Blockbuster or Rite Aid.

=VK=

Kal-el4
Operative

Post by Kal-el4 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:15 pm

that is so true. Dukes was good in some parts, but it was obviously fast tracked to dvd and video.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sun May 23, 2010 10:56 pm

knight56 wrote:If they can make a A TEAM MOVIE AND A DUKES MOVIE CANT they make a KR movie?
DoH and the A team have had no further incarnations since their original 80's airings/syndications, KR has already tapped the nostalgia vault a few times since ending in 86...

I would like to have seen KR08 progress and develop the way TOS did as it was the best version of continuing the KR universe we have seen so far. In terms of comparing series and not just made for TV movies (AKA "pilots" that get aired when schedulers have little else on... ;) I am such a cynic! heh) TKR lasted a full 22 but was not as well written in terms of character/car relationship (Mike and Ki3t WAS VERY TOS KR in essence but tuned to 21st century audiences, loved that part)

Knight Rider must have been such an influence for so many of today's Sci Fi inspired producers that sadly the franchise seems to be getting wrung dry.

How about a 'smallville' take on the franchise where we meet Wilton (prior to illness) Devon as the "go to guy" and watch the development of KARR as a vehicle and KITT as a Pentagon mainframe AI (It's just occurred to me that KITT is the older AI but KARR was the first to be installed in a vehicle, hence the need to mention that he is the 'roving' version in his acronym...)

Maybe KARR was rushed/compromised in terms of AI in favour of the other functions of the Trans Am shell that they used which is why KARR became the way he was.

The series could pan out in a similar way to early Smallville by introducing new technology (that fans of KR would be familiar with but not know how it developed) in substitute for Clark Kent discovering new abilities ever 2-3 episodes when the series first began.

KITT and KARR would be both be part of this series but perhaps KITT in a 4 wheeled shell (if they decided to set it now then it could not be a t/a) would not appear until the very end but just hinted at throughout the series...

Michael Knight, by definition, could NOT exsist in this scenario as it is before the time of Michael Long being shot. Michael Long could certainly appear as a character as he was a person of interest to Wilton Knight before the "Starry Night in Nevada" but due to Wilton's reclusiveness, he never gets to meet him face to face but does meet associates of WK and the Foundation without realising along the way (a little like Hanibal getting into disguise to check out the A Team's next prospective client)

I feel I may be criticised for 'jumping on the prequel bandwagon' however, as the original version of our favourite series (on this forum at least) will be 30 years old in 2 years and we all remember those shows fondly, what's wrong with us going back to the start but using today as the 'tech' starting point...

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be... :)

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by CJaguar442 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:06 pm

Victor Kros wrote:
- Well anyone can make a movie, the problem is trying to make a GOOD movie that won't get fast tracked to the bargain bin at the local Blockbuster or Rite Aid.

=VK=
nick blockbuster no longer exists well in my nick of the woods :evil:
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!