What do you think the fans want/think??

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MKnight1984
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

What do you think the fans want/think??

Post by MKnight1984 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:18 pm

I'm just curious to know what the fan consensus is on the Knight Rider franchise... The original Knight Rider was a great success but despite 4 seperate attempts to revive it no one has quite gotten the elements or the exact formula right to create a new hit/successor... So I pose this to the fans... What would you rather see?? A successful movie franchise/trilogy or a new KR series but a complete re-boot much like what was done with the last incarnation of Battlestar Galactica??

I believe both have an equal amounts of pro's and con's but I'd really like to see and hear what the fans want just for the heck of it... Please be as clear (gramaticly, spelling, and description wise) in your argument... If you wish to state your opinion as to which idea that you like better please go into detail as I think it's important for everyone to understand where your coming from... Please have strong statements to back up your argument as i'm not looking for simple answers... It also might help to support your arguments if you put in detail what you liked about the failed attempts and what you disliked... After 2 or 3 responses i'll put my opinions down for why both would be successful or a failure... I hope this turns into a fun little debate... If it turns out good maybe the thread could be emailed to someone with influnence to read our ideas so that the same mistakes with this franchise do not get repeated... Or at the very least we all have fun discussing it... Sooooo are you ready?? annddd goooo!!!

Sir Knight
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: What do you think the fans want/think??

Post by Sir Knight » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:09 pm

I myself would like to see Big Screen movie with HOFF and son battling evil and including the orig car :good:

Sir Knight
Recruit

Post by Sir Knight » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:10 pm

And William as the voice

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:36 pm

I'm looking forward to the big screen version of Knight Rider. The mythology has already been established and, as much as I'd like to see a continuation of that, it would be equally fulfilling to see a reboot if done correctly, al-la Star Trek.
Knight Rider 2008 could, and would, have been a success had the producers stuck to the original formula. Dave Andron had a handle on what the KR universe was about and had a vision for what direction he wanted to take KR08. I feel if he was left at the reigns when the concept went to series the outcome would have been remarkably different. Alas, all we have left are 'wishes' when it comes to KR08.
Looking to the future I've got high hopes for the big screen adaptation of Knight Rider. Glen Larson knew that Americans had a love for the automobile and felt that The Lone Ranger's 'outlaw justice' ways could be adapted to the current timeline. He succeeded in doing that once and I've got full faith that he can do it again!
On the other hand, seeing the Hoff and KITT (Trans Am with William Daniels' voice) along with Justin Bruening and KI3T having a showdown with KARR and Goliath in the desert would be Knerd-like nirvana!
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MKnight1984
Rookie

Post by MKnight1984 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:46 pm

I'm tired so i'll try to make this as coherent as possible lol...

As far as a movie franchise or trilogy goes?? I don't think it'll be enough... If you look at how triliogy's and other franchises work you get a movie every 2 to 3 years, they do about 3, and then it's like what now?? It always leaves you wanting more which is why i'd be happier with a rebood that could make it out of the first season... I'd like it to be a lil darker than what we're used to which is why I used the new Battlestar Galactica as my example... You can fit sooo much more into it content wise and retain the elements of the original show that made it good including the humor... Towards the end KR08 had all the elements but it just wasn't balanced properly... But on the flip side of this argument you won't get the same kind of CGI, special effects, and talent that could make it work like a big budget film could because with a film there is greater and larger financial backing... I have more points to make but this is all I can type out for now... This is off to a good start?? I'm personally undecided about what i'd like to see more...

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:56 am

I would like to see a continuation from the old 80's show.Michael Knight is now the head of F.L.A.G.If he could change so much from the leather jacket,chesthair exposed through linen shirts to what we saw in KR08 pilot movie,I'd say he could change enough to run the foundation.Devon Miles as a hologram which is really Devon's brain algorythms used as an AI helping Michael run the new F.L.A.G.Maybe a few jokes of how the foundations night crew hears and sees Devon as a ghost in the mansion (similar to an old role he played on another show).Michael's son or someone to be the new operative of F.L.A.G.A new Kitt.Old enemies show up from time to time such as son of Garthe,karr yet again.

Another way to go that I liked in the late 90's was the fan fic for Knight Rider 98/Legends where Michael came back to drive the new 98 trans am kitt who was the same kitt but upgraded to a new body.Knight Industries votes to reinstate F.L.A.G.with the help of Devon and Bonnie who stayed on past her technician job.F.L.A.G. has 1 condition.They wanted to have a second operative drive a second car.They ask to use K.A.R.R.'s cpu but his memories of the mischievous life he had in the 80's to be erased.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:07 am

This is what makes the board so interesting. I'll tell you what the fans want in the next Knight Rider:

Michael Knight should be played by a young new actor, David Hasselhoff.
KITT must be a 1982 Trans Am and be a hot new musclecar currently on showroom floors.
The story must continue where the original series left off, with a brand new origin story.

See the problem?

Although people feel passionately on many of the issues, I think there are few areas where just about everyone is in agreement:

1) William Daniels is the best choice for the voice.
2) Whether it is a remake or a continuation, the story should only reference the original series.
3) Whatever car KITT is, he HAS to be black. Must have a scanner. Must Turbo Boost.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:46 pm

This picture is worth 1000 words when it comes to Knight Rider and what fans expect of it. It's also how Glen and I feel when studios give "advice/notes" on the script.

Although people feel passionately on many of the issues, I think there are few areas where just about everyone is in agreement:

1) William Daniels is the best choice for the voice.
2) Whether it is a remake or a continuation, the story should only reference the original series.
3) Whatever car KITT is, he HAS to be black. Must have a scanner. Must Turbo Boost.

- I agree. Glen has stipulations in place to maintain the integrity and necessity of the main elements from the original mythology that can carry over from one studio (and script) to the next and cannot be excluded or altered without his expressed permission. This keeps the essentials like "turbo boost" and the "talking supercar" in tact.

Having K.I.T.T. not talk or turbo boost is like not having Superman (Not Smallville Kal El :P) fly or change into costume.

=VK=
:dash: