1983 Trans-Am Recaro Special Edition KNIGHT RIDER PROJECT

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Alex
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:08 am

Wow! Very good. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NApsSyjb7E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alex

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Re: 1983 Trans-Am Recaro Special Edition KNIGHT RIDER PROJECT

Post by Dave Knight » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:27 pm

i agree with the youtube comments, that you would have to be insane to turn a low mileage (well for a 27 year old car) Recaro T/A into a KITT. a lot of posters say he should make it like Long's car or sell it and get a later model 3rd gen car as a basis for the conversion instead of this limited edition Recaro. A couple of years ago my dad had a 83 Daytona 500 Pace Car edition trans am (white with the charcoal gray 2 tone, and leather/suede Recaro seats). his car was in pretty poor shape and would be okay with doing a replica as it had MOST of the stuff that the car needed to be KITT. the only thing it needed was the seats, the round shifter and the rims/hubcaps. but alas we sold it for under 2500 before I found out you could get parts to make it into a KITT :oops:.
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by krrdr2010 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:40 pm

I don't think its insane at all. In fact-IT IS AWESOME AND COOL!!! I can't wait to see what it looks like when you get done with it. :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

iKITT
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by iKITT » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:00 pm

He's nuts to go and do such a project on a very limited car. Don't get me wrong. I ADORE Ki2T. I adore KI2T conversions, but I'm NOT exactly keen on taking a Recaro in such good condition as this and stripping it. The minor things wrong with it can easily be fixed, and besides, if it was restored, of COURSE the thing doesn't have all original parts, but it can look like it does. I just found his reasoning for feeling less guilty about making it into a replica to be peculiar if not invalid entirely. Although to look at it the other way, it's really only taking out the console and dash, and adding the front nose. All the parts could be saved and put back as they were unless there's work that has to be done to alter the car in ways such a thing cannot be done. Personally I'd have kept it as it was and restored it, then would have either sold it or bought a later 3rd gen along with this one to make a replica out of.

Although this doesn't baffle me nearly as much as someone who takes a beautiful car and decides to completely get rid of the original stuff that made it valuable and throw in whatever they like, the end result looking like something out of "Fast and the Furious" or "Pimp my Ride".

Bandit1
Operative

Post by Bandit1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:49 pm

WTF... why they use THIS car for a replica?

somebody must kick his ass...such a fartface -.-
Sorry for bad laguage,i´m still learning english!

GREETINGS FROM GERMANY

Harry Singh Jr.
Operative

Post by Harry Singh Jr. » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:41 am

Car had over 158,000 miles, has body damage, fuel injection changed, someone changed radio, Some interiour panels missing. It's value has already been shot to crap. I say go ahead and make it want he wants. He couldn't have paid much for it to begin with.

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:15 am

See the car Pontiac Firebird Trans Am in 1982.

1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Advertisment video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv6rtWyN3B0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alex

David
Rookie

Post by David » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:53 pm

That is a great looking car which deserves to be restored to its original glory.

Less is more when it comes to the 3rd Gen TA, and the lack of aero spoilers stupid ground effects on the 82/83s makes them the pick of the bunch for me. The early Recaro models offered a little bit extra in the looks/comfort stakes without going overboard.

The 1991/2 Firebird Formulas also had a nice "back to basics" look, with a KITT inspired nose, not to mention better build quality.

AusKnight2K
Operative

Re: 1983 Trans-Am Recaro Special Edition KNIGHT RIDER PROJEC

Post by AusKnight2K » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:12 am

I have to also say that he will get more street cred restoring this car as a Recaro. No Recaro should be destroyed to make a replica, there are plenty of Firebirds and later 3rd Gen Trans Am's that can be used as donors.

When I bought my Trans Am a few years ago to make it into a replica, I had no idea of it's original identity. As it turns out, it is a 1984 Recaro but there is nothing Recaro left in it as previous owner(s) removed everything in it that makes it a Recaro.

I honour and respect that my car is a Recaro and I will not make it into a replica, I will have to live another day to make a replica from another "ordinary" Trans Am.

As I am in Australia, I have the arduous task of trying to get all the original Recaro parts from the other side of the world from where I am - we just don't have Trans Am's lying about in wrecking yards over here to get parts. Plus the fact our cars are RHD, so it makes it more difficult again.

I'm sorry to say this, but he doesn't appreciate what he has there ... if he REALLY loves Trans Am's as he says (and he wants to keep alive an important part of the Trans Am's heritage and history) he won't make this particular car into a replica.

I don't care how long it takes me, my car has an INSANE amount of work to be done to it to restore it back to a Recaro, but all he has to do is change a fender and some decals ???

I wish I had his luck in finding such a pristine Recaro like he has ...

Just think about it ... in 20 years time, how many replicas will there be and how many original Recaros will there be?

Remember: YOU CAN MAKE ANY TRANS AM INTO A KITT REPLICA, BUT YOU CANNOT MAKE ANY TRANS AM INTO AN ORIGINAL RECARO !!!