why wasn't KR08 successful?

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

User avatar
Lara
Recruit
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:18 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Contact:

why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by Lara » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:54 am

I always ask myself the same question...why wasnt KR 2008 a hit? I mean the old was and many people liked it! Where I live they are still putting KR the new & old one. I dont get why they didnt make a second season...or why they 'the cre & cast of KR" move to another company other than NBC. I just miss KR so much!!
Visit www.Deanna-Russo.org your 1st and best fansite for Deanna Russo!

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by Shapeshifter » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:43 pm

Too expensive to make, and too much bad press.

User avatar
Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cyber Space
Contact:

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:31 pm

They can't just move to another company to make the show because NBC own the copyright for Knight Rider.

The reason it failed is complex but really revolves around a couple of main issues, one is that NBC failed it and some would say didn't want the show to work, the other main issue was the changes in format brought in by Gary Scott Thompson which were seen by many to be more aligned with Transformers and the failed Team Knight Rider than the original one man can make a difference.

There's a lot of things that I really like about the KR08 show and would love to see a second season especially following the change of tact in the last few episodes, but alas that doesn't seem likely any more.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:28 pm

The lackluster writing, inflated effects budget, and most importantly the arrogance of NBC execs choosing not to involve or accept any assistance from the crew of the original series (short of one prop master) killed the series and its potential to succeed.

It was not the viewers or the fans fault, it was the network itself.

=VK=
:dash:

User avatar
knightendo77
Operative
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:10 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by knightendo77 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:59 am

GST was to blame, simple as that. Under the guidance of Dave Andron, Dave Bartis and Doug Liman they could've built in the film, but GST took it down the wrong route, down the TKR/Fast & The Furious route.

NBC DID try to save it. They were the ones who wanted it to be more like the original. GST kept on saying about the "interference" of the network, and Deanna has said the same but you'll notice Justin hasn't. He was the one true fan of the original and he understood what NBC were trying to do. They weren't trying to "interfere", they were trying to save it.

No offence Victor but your view is too biased because you're too close to Glen. I salute your dedication to the original and to Glen and I can understand your viewpoint because of this, nothing wrong with that at all, but the original is 25+ years old, they can hardly bring back all the same crew to work on the new one. Doctor Who couldn't, they realised those people had moved on and working elsewhere, many had retired, and Dr Who has still become a phenomenal success. This is due to the fact that it had the right showrunners in Russel T Davies, Phil Collinson and Julie Gardner, all dedicated fans who wanted to produce the best continuation they could.

Andron was a fan, Bartis and Liman were fans, but GST wasn't. Yes we can bame NBC for hiring him, but that's it.
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

User avatar
Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 12:29 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Sweden

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by Knight-Armen » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:00 am

People are saying it was NBC's fault but not really. I mean Knight Rider got all the promotion it deserved when it was launched in 2008. The reason why NBC didn't continue to promote the series was the fact that the show had already lost a vast majority of its viewers. It was already doomed to fail.
You can also look at it in this way. If the majority say the show is bad, there's no reason for the network to try and promote it any further, because the battle is already lost. All the money you put to try and make people watch the show after a feedback like that is just "money in the drain".
The main reason why the show failed was... well... everything. From the directing to the acting and setting. GST had dreams he could never put into reality because of the small budget. All the young actors made the series very childish and silly. TOS was at times silly, yes, but at least it had some charm and a sense of reality going on! The writing for the new show was poor and they rarely hit the right notes. If you think about it, there was no need of building a car worth millions of dollars to make the series look good. If you put all your money on one single element, the rest is will remain blank and that's how it went down. They made a super high tech radio controlled car which we didn't see the living daylight of and after that they just put the rest of their financial support on buying miss Russo make up. How can they claim she was a mechanic, she never touched anything with grease on it. It was just disappointment after disappointment really.

Let it sink in. Read my quote down below before you comment back...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

User avatar
WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:00 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: WI

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by WIBoomer1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:01 am

I kinda look at it this way: It's sort of like Windows Vista...When It first came out it was all ballyhooed, the end all be all...but then people started to try it, and hated that it always seemed not to do what it should have done. Too bloated, and could never just work. When Microsoft (i.e. the network) finally figured out that it needed to put the right things into it, the damage was done, and Vista (KR 08) was branded as damaged goods. Now we get Windows 7 (hopefully, the movie) and everybody loves it...but deep down, it's still Vista, just without the bells and whistles.

danban
Stranger
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:05 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by danban » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:39 pm

knightendo77 wrote:GST was to blame, simple as that. Under the guidance of Dave Andron, Dave Bartis and Doug Liman they could've built in the film, but GST took it down the wrong route, down the TKR/Fast & The Furious route.

NBC DID try to save it. They were the ones who wanted it to be more like the original. GST kept on saying about the "interference" of the network, and Deanna has said the same but you'll notice Justin hasn't. He was the one true fan of the original and he understood what NBC were trying to do. They weren't trying to "interfere", they were trying to save it.

No offence Victor but your view is too biased because you're too close to Glen. I salute your dedication to the original and to Glen and I can understand your viewpoint because of this, nothing wrong with that at all, but the original is 25+ years old, they can hardly bring back all the same crew to work on the new one. Doctor Who couldn't, they realised those people had moved on and working elsewhere, many had retired, and Dr Who has still become a phenomenal success. This is due to the fact that it had the right showrunners in Russel T Davies, Phil Collinson and Julie Gardner, all dedicated fans who wanted to produce the best continuation they could.

I agree with Victor as anything GST has done I have disliked such as Fas & whatever it was incredibly dull & the bad acting as well as the non worthy script & brain dead story I found to be more than irritating
The whole show was more about the "look what our fx lot can do", & "I wonder if we can do a product placement for a Ford vehicle here" & last but not least "lets buff the show out with all these extras,personally they should have killed of Deanne's character Sarah & kept the goofy technicians,never had Bruce Dickinson & instead put the Hoff in that seat of mentor which I think GST objected too.
I think there were maybe a handful (I am being generous) in numbers there of episodes that were watch able but the rest the land of best forget me please.
The reason why I think the movie (feature) is taking it's time now & will be latter rather than now is maybe because everyone still remembers the collosal failure of the TV show & no one wants to maybe invests in it at the moment,kind of like Superman.
I think it could have worked but GST had no clue & I have seen his "make excuses & cover myself from criticism interview" & Deanne "not good cheese excuse interview",her acting is not good.
:kitt2:





Andron was a fan, Bartis and Liman were fans, but GST wasn't. Yes we can bame NBC for hiring him, but that's it.

User avatar
TurboBoostMan
Operative
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:14 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by TurboBoostMan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:00 pm

So many people liked and still do (including myself) like the original Knight Rider. I like both of them, but I really like the original one better. I personally think the new one didn't do so well because, they didnt use the original Turbo Boost SFX. If they had used the continuous engine revving type noise, that would have been good, and why they would us an airplane as FLAG's mobile unit I dont know. Semi would have been better, but instead of the side having a "Knight's Chess piece insignia" on the sides, it could have had the snake, and then the letters, "KR" which actually does not stand for Knight Rider for those of u out there that think it does. It actually stands for Knight Research. Anyway, they should have used the Grappling Hook, and Ski Mode more than just once, more Turbo Boosts in each episode. Only like 20 episodes of the new Knight Rider, and there just weren't enough Turbo Boosts in them. In the original there were 84 episodes, and all but 4 had Turbo Boosts. Attack Mode, just like Super Pursuit Mode: Doesn't really look like KITT's goin 377 MPH on those roads. They have technology now, unlike in the 80s to make it look like the car was actually goin 377 MPH. Why didnt they use it? So all I'm trying to say, is that they should have made it a little more like the original Knight Rider. They kinda "adulterized" it. Too adultish, like Batman. It started out in the 60s as a show for all people to watch. Then when the movies came out, they adulterized those too. "The Dark Knight" is like a Rated X movie. The Joker never had knives. Any way, if they had made it more like the original Knight Rider, and maybe had an episode where David Hasselhoff and William Daniels as the voice of KITT return, as like a Knight Rider meets Knight Rider spoof episode, they maybe would have had a second season.
"One Man Can Make A Difference" - Wilton Knight

User avatar
iKITT
Recruit
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by iKITT » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:17 pm

The way I see it, KR08 tried to go with the trend of bringing back what was really rad in the 80s. Everyone's doing it now. Even the A-Team is getting a movie made of itself. KR08 is no different. It was a way to cash in, in some respects. As soon as I'd watched the pilot, I knew it was all gonna go down the tubes. It failed miserably in many respects. There were rarely, if any moments that evoked a sense of nostalgia, nor were there any subtle parallels or nods to TOS, unless you count the two second shot of KI2T in shambles. I felt the formula that worked so well in TOS was never fulfilled in the slightest. Plus, they basically took away the "one man can make a difference" and changed it to something more like "one man drives the car just to look cool, and everyone else does the work". Even KITT seemed very... monotone and stale. He had rare moments where some glimmer of personality showed itself, but it still didn't feel like KITT. It actually reminded me more of KARR and his naivety about the world around him. Another thing: they never explained what happened to the original KITT (same with KARR; they never said if he was the original one or not). Not once. There was no back story attached to help the newbies learn about where the show's roots were. No mention of the old FLAG and its team. Then... there's the brick car. With remote control actionssssssssss! Honestly, the people who decided on the Mustang had their head up their rear ends. The car may look somewhat aggressive, and it's got the black paint job and scanner sure. But honestly, it looked like a ricer. Especially when it went into Attack Mode or into SPM which was a joke. It also didn't look believable. Simply put, the car will never look like it can go 300+ MPH no matter what you do with it. Adding an even more air-resistant front end and a dinky spoiler ain't gonna help it. The car is half of the show. Do it wrong, it won't work. They could've used the Corvette, and I could've lived with it. They could've used a 2000-something TA, definitely could've lived with it. :lol: :wink: With all the CG effects they crapped out, none of the cars would've even left the ground. They could have green-screened everything. Finally, why did they feel the need to make a Transformers rip-off out of the show? It was extremely cheesy and fake. It was like a cross-over gone horribly wrong.

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:47 pm

knightendo77 wrote:GST was to blame, simple as that. Under the guidance of Dave Andron, Dave Bartis and Doug Liman they could've built in the film, but GST took it down the wrong route, down the TKR/Fast & The Furious route.

NBC DID try to save it. They were the ones who wanted it to be more like the original. GST kept on saying about the "interference" of the network, and Deanna has said the same but you'll notice Justin hasn't. He was the one true fan of the original and he understood what NBC were trying to do. They weren't trying to "interfere", they were trying to save it.

No offence Victor but your view is too biased because you're too close to Glen. I salute your dedication to the original and to Glen and I can understand your viewpoint because of this, nothing wrong with that at all, but the original is 25+ years old, they can hardly bring back all the same crew to work on the new one. Doctor Who couldn't, they realised those people had moved on and working elsewhere, many had retired, and Dr Who has still become a phenomenal success. This is due to the fact that it had the right showrunners in Russel T Davies, Phil Collinson and Julie Gardner, all dedicated fans who wanted to produce the best continuation they could.

Andron was a fan, Bartis and Liman were fans, but GST wasn't. Yes we can bame NBC for hiring him, but that's it.


- I know certain information that you do not regarding the series and its cancellation from reliable sources involved with it. I stand by my conclusions of the matter accordingly. I respect your opinion but to accuse me of being baised against the show because of my support of Glen is unfair and does not aid your point.

Due to certain information, my opinion of GST has changed only to the point that while he did do a lot of things wrong with the series from the start, he also did a lot of things right towards the end to try and save it that the network chose to ignore. In the end NBC brass pulled the plug who outrank GST and they didn't even have the respect to admit to the fans who followed it that they chose to cancel the series.

=VK=
:dash:

User avatar
taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:47 am

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by taoworm2323 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:13 am

GST was to blame simple as that.
Dave Andron was the one true creator of Knight Rider 2008. He SHOULD have been left in control of the project and we would still be watching the new Knight Rider. No doubt about it!
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

Transparent
Rookie
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:25 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by Transparent » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:21 am

I suspect that if KR08s show runner had been Dave Andron, we would now be questioning his choices rather than those made by GST.

I'm not convinced its possible to make a *good* KR now.

IMO it was very much a product of the 80s.

Sob

User avatar
tamatt27
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: ATX
Contact:

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by tamatt27 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Transparent wrote:I suspect that if KR08s show runner had been Dave Andron, we would now be questioning his choices rather than those made by GST.

I'm not convinced its possible to make a *good* KR now.

IMO it was very much a product of the 80s.

Sob

I call BS. It's apparent with the success of the Transformers franchise that people are still drawn to action-packed adventures with cars. As with anything, however, without good writing, directing and creative direction it's tough to make a success out of anything.
Dave Andron created the Knight Rider 2008 universe and had a direction he wanted to take the show and pilot. GST didn't understang much of anything related to Knight Rider other than it was a show about a car. His success with the Fast and Furious franchise was apparently enough for NBC brass. The problem, though, is that Knight Rider isn't just a show about a fast car...GST saw KR08 as a way to bring F&F to the small screen IMO. I would put my faith in Dave Andron for KR08 as much as I put it in Glen Larson to provide us with the next greatest installment of the Knight Rider Universe.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27

danban
Stranger
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:05 pm
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by danban » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:23 am

I still think GST had alot to do with why things went wrong but then again I don't like his work & NBC should not be left out of the blame for hiring him.
The Mustang (Brick & can't turn well or handle well & yes I know this for a fact) was never in the same stunts as in the original,it was just boring not like the 80's where you would have the best car chases & stunts,sorry but KR08 was like lite beer & I hate lite beer as it's just not the real thing.But the car had to be a ford derived as that is who held the contract with NBC at the time for car placement.
I don't think it's fair to say someone else may have had the same out come as GST as he has almost admitted that there were too many other higher people involved & that maybe the problem that NBC left GST to his own devices & realised little too late what an absolute shambles he made of it.

User avatar
tamatt27
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:37 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: ATX
Contact:

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by tamatt27 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:13 am

danban wrote:I still think GST had alot to do with why things went wrong but then again I don't like his work & NBC should not be left out of the blame for hiring him.
The Mustang (Brick & can't turn well or handle well & yes I know this for a fact) was never in the same stunts as in the original,it was just boring not like the 80's where you would have the best car chases & stunts,sorry but KR08 was like lite beer & I hate lite beer as it's just not the real thing.But the car had to be a ford derived as that is who held the contract with NBC at the time for car placement.
I don't think it's fair to say someone else may have had the same out come as GST as he has almost admitted that there were too many other higher people involved & that maybe the problem that NBC left GST to his own devices & realised little too late what an absolute shambles he made of it.

Expand on your statement about the Mustang not turning or handling well? In stock form, the GT500KR is quite a capable performer. Yes, it would have benefitted from IRS but a solid rear axle can still be made to handle well.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27

User avatar
Super Flash
Rookie
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:38 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: West Chester, Pennsylvania

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by Super Flash » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Hello There Everyone,

Could someone please tell me what IMO is? I am not up on this new computer language. As for Knight Rider I have explained over and over again why I felt this version of Knight Rider failed and it was more then what you are all saying here and Gary Scott Thompson being the scape goat. I feel that NBC was to blame on this and I puzzled why you don't see that. If NBC was trying to save the show then why the lack of promotion? They have show that have tanked in the ratings and still were better handled then Knight Rider? I am firm believer that NBC executives had their hand on the direction in the show, budget, and so forth. It happens with every show. Just ask Stephen J. Cannell. Every show he created or written for from The Greatest American Hero, Hunter, to A-Team had some influence from the Network the show aired on. Gene Roddenberry had the same issues with The Original Star Trek with NBC. He had one vision for the show and NBC had another. For example he wanted a woman to be the first officer and NBC did not like that and wanted a man instead. Also, NBC didn't like the Spock character and wanted someone different. Gene refused on that one. So, if networks can interfere on those shows why could happen on this version of Knight Rider? Also, why was Knight Rider scheduled against to more powerful shows like Lost and American Idol? If NBC really wanted to help Knight Rider out they would have:

1.) Scheduled it on another night away from Lost and American Idol
2.) Stuck with the show longer then it did.
3.) Not first renew it and they cut the show to 17 episodes then quietly cancel it.
4.) Tie the new version of Knight Rider with the old version while having their own identity.

To be continued...
Knight Rider Lives!!!

User avatar
Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 12:29 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Sweden

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by Knight-Armen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:38 pm

IMO is an abbreviation of "In My Opinion". You are also likely to hear POV in certain contexts which stands for (Point of View).
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

User avatar
Super Flash
Rookie
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:38 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: West Chester, Pennsylvania

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by Super Flash » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Hello There Everyone,

Someone here said that this version of Knight Rider didn't because it was based off the old Knight Rider that worked well in the 1980's. I beg to differ with that. Then explain to me why Star Trek: The Next Generation worked so well. The show lasted seven years, four movies, and three other spin offs. Star Trek: The Next Generation was based off an old show that lasted three years in the late 1960's. This version of Knight Rider would have worked better if NBC handled the show better with the current cast.

As for Turbo Boost feature it was used quite a few times in this version of Knight Rider. As for the original show I am not sure how many times it was used but, you are comparing apples to oranges here. A four year show to a one year show.

As for the plane as the mobile headquarters that was a left over idea from Team Knight Rider. As for a fast car isn't that what part of Knight Rider is about? I mean each season of the original Knight Rider KITT was better and faster then the previous season. So, I do not see the point here neither do I see how The Transformers have to do with any thing here. Heck, in Team Knight Rider KITT had evolved from a car with AI to a holographic shadow that do alot more then his original original programming. So, KITT 3000 would have been better and more evolved then his predecessor. I am not excusing Gary Scott Thompson but, I am letting you all know that Knight Rider's demise was more then his fault. NBC Preempted the show alot and that hurt. Funny on how Heroes and Chuck was not preempted as much as Knight Rider was.

Well, that is it for now and take care,
Michael P. Nepa
Knight Rider Lives!!!

User avatar
WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:00 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: WI

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by WIBoomer1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:13 pm

Super Flash wrote:Could someone please tell me what IMO is?


In My Opinion, or sometimes you might see IMHO, which is In My Humble Opinion. For other acronyms, try:

http://www.netlingo.com/

Super Flash, the network saw a good ratings base, so it gave KR 08 PREMATURELY a full order. It was reduced when more ratings came in. Should NBC have done more with it? sure, but as I understand it, the TV series was created solely to block any movement on the motion picture. NBC really got a win - win, they keep the motion picture from leaving the developmental stage, and the show plugged a hole against American Idol. I know we've gone around with this, but if the show was any good, the ratings would have followed. The show only got better at the last 5 eps, but it was too little too late. The pre-emptions didn't help, granted, but NBC never moved the show to another night either.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by Shapeshifter » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:15 pm

WIBoomer1 wrote: Should NBC have done more with it? sure, but as I understand it, the TV series was created solely to block any movement on the motion picture. NBC really got a win - win, they keep the motion picture from leaving the developmental stage, and the show plugged a hole against American Idol. I know we've gone around with this, but if the show was any good, the ratings would have followed. The show only got better at the last 5 eps, but it was too little too late. The pre-emptions didn't help, granted, but NBC never moved the show to another night either.


I don't buy NBC's 'motivation' here. They would not pour 50 million into a project to keep a movie from happening. I think they took a shot, as they do with all new projects, did their best, and it didn't work out. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one.

User avatar
knightendo77
Operative
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:10 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by knightendo77 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:25 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:I don't buy NBC's 'motivation' here. They would not pour 50 million into a project to keep a movie from happening. I think they took a shot, as they do with all new projects, did their best, and it didn't work out. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one.


I hear ya Shapeshifter. But let's not forget that Victor Kros is the be-all-and-end-all of Knight Rider, what he says goes and his opinion is FACT. Let's also not forget the "inside information" he always says he has, which is always convenient to back up an argument with in any situation. And lets not forget that we're not allowed to have different opinions than him (because we'll get attacked as we've seen before on these boards - and he's had to be suspended for - which if he's such a good close friend of Larson I'm sure Larson won't take kindly to) and he's allowed to change his story too and we have to run with it (saying he's not biased against it when past evidence states otherwise). Remember, this isn't a discussion board, this is the "yes-Victor, no-Victor" board (in his eyes, not everyone else's) and if you go against the grain... well, tut-tut. KR can't survive without him, he's the better fan and we bow to him everytime we log on. Why are we even discussing why KR08 failed when Victor can just TELL us, like he does with everything, because that's what he knows - everything.
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

B.R.O
Recruit
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by B.R.O » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:27 pm

I'd say it was a combination of a lot of things which resulted in a miserable failiure...

1: The scriptwriters. They were just simply BAD, I mean gottdamn corner-of-the-mouth-drooling retarded with the exception of maybe one who seems to have left the writing staff or been fired for actually writing intersting dailogue/monologue (talking about the episode where KITT lears about human behaviour trough watching a classic western and analyzing it and at the end has a bit of a monologue about the humans around him).

2: The actors. The only good actors was Bruce Davison while Justin Bruening and Yancey Arias were medicore at best, but the rest of the cast was so badly unlikeable I would have been cheering all the way if they would have been brutally killed in a mop-up operation to silence the SSC.

3: The director. GST didn't really do too good of a job with Las Vegas (I hated that show myself) and he shure as hell didn't do a better job with the new Knightrider show. The only reason why the Michael Traceur, Dr. Charles Graiman, Alex Torres and KI3T characters were even distantly likeable was because of the performance of the repective actors/voice actor.

4: The design of KI3T. The design was pretty ok and a pretty darn neat modernisation to the 21st century, but they completely lost it when they started making the actual series with the way too cheesy turbo boosts, redicculous use of the laser thing Team Knightrider style and how they took the Ford advertizing way too far with KI3T transforing into other Ford cars.

So yeah, it was a doomed show from the point they decided to make the pilot into a show and hired GST along with the most of the cast.

User avatar
rwmu
Operative
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:44 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: City of Wulfruna

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by rwmu » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:38 pm

Maybe its just not the right time for a remake, when KR was on orignally Action Heros with a high tech spin were all the rage , currently the requirement is for emotion charged family stories Knight Rider doesn't fit in with that.

KR08 may not have been brilliant but it had to better than all the Talentless Shows and Reality TV.

KRs time may come again but not right now and maybe not for a few years, Doctor Who fans had to wait best part of 16 years for that show to come back and as I found out last year thats a much bigger show than KR is. Same goes for BSG they had to wait till the time was right, maybe we have to just be patient, as the B5 fans say 'Faith Manages'
Είναι καλύτερο να θεωρηθεί ως ανόητος, από να ανοιχτεί το στόμα σας και να αφαιρεθεί όλη η αμφιβολία.

User avatar
Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: Knight Manor

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:46 pm

knightendo77 wrote:
Shapeshifter wrote:I don't buy NBC's 'motivation' here. They would not pour 50 million into a project to keep a movie from happening. I think they took a shot, as they do with all new projects, did their best, and it didn't work out. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one.


I hear ya Shapeshifter. But let's not forget that Victor Kros is the be-all-and-end-all of Knight Rider, what he says goes and his opinion is FACT. Let's also not forget the "inside information" he always says he has, which is always convenient to back up an argument with in any situation. And lets not forget that we're not allowed to have different opinions than him (because we'll get attacked as we've seen before on these boards - and he's had to be suspended for - which if he's such a good close friend of Larson I'm sure Larson won't take kindly to) and he's allowed to change his story too and we have to run with it (saying he's not biased against it when past evidence states otherwise). Remember, this isn't a discussion board, this is the "yes-Victor, no-Victor" board (in his eyes, not everyone else's) and if you go against the grain... well, tut-tut. KR can't survive without him, he's the better fan and we bow to him everytime we log on. Why are we even discussing why KR08 failed when Victor can just TELL us, like he does with everything, because that's what he knows - everything.


- I have not changed my mind about what was wrong with the series. I have changed my opinion of blaming GST for everything (as others have) that went wrong with KR because other people who actually experienced things on the set of the show have opened my eyes to things that transpired that the general public isn't aware of. I believe in giving credit where it is due and I can tell you that GST had a right to change his mind as well and he did change it along his journey of what worked and did not work with KR. He made some mistakes and he realized them too little too late. Do I think Knight Rider 08 had the wrong direction from the start of the series? Absolutely. Do I think it could have been saved? Sure. Do I think GST could have saved it on his own? Not a chance. Do I think GST could have saved it with some help? You bet.

In the end NBC pulled the plug and that is an undisputed fact. They didn't have the respect to move it to another time slot, another network (syfy), or inform the fans of their decision. They just swept it under the rug, smuggled it out of the USA and re-presented it to other countries.

As for Shapeshifter's comment. Maybe NBCU wouldn't spend 50 million dollars only to sideline a movie, but would they spend it to shill products like oh I don't know 700 something...70,000+ Shelby automobiles? I think so.

Ben Silverman said in interviews from day one, (paraphrasing here) his motivation for bringing Knight Rider back was to integrate product placement with television shows. He used Knight Rider as a vehicle to push products. Ford, Shelby, Microsoft, etc.

Shapeshifter has a right to his opinion and I will not say he is wrong as I have in the past. Different time, different motivations.

At times I do have inside information and I share it with the community when I am able to do so. If you understand anything about the entertainment business or people who are in it, being able to keep things confidential is a necessity. If I were under a NDA, I wouldn't be able to say anything period. Even Shapeshifter I think would agree with that.

I am not always right and I have proven that by accepting corrections from Matthew and making a full apology to KRO for being wrong upon my return to the community for previous actions. You have a right to your opinion but please remember respect is a two way street, let's continue to drive on it. We're all fans here.

Thank you.

=VK=
:dash:

Locked