FLAG's base of operations

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

FLAG's base of operations

Post by KFCreator » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:11 am

I thought it was particularly interesting that in the original series, FLAG primarily operated out of the mansion and then had various satellite compounds for testing KITT or rebuilding KITT and they also had offices in other cities as well. Then on the road, they had the mobile semi as well and Devon would cart around in the private jet.

In the 2008 series, they had the SSC as the primary base of operations, which was underground beneath an old hangar in the desert. They also had a cargo plane that served as a transport vehicle and also as a base of operations as well.

This got me to thinking about what other kinds of base of operations could exist for FLAG? Would they limit themselves nowadays to a centralized location or have multiple? As far as KITT and Michael would be concerned, what would be the preferred means of mobile transport in the modern world? Would the semi still be really feasible given the likelihood of having to travel all over the country and possibly the world or does a plane make more sense? And while I liked the idea of the SSC, an underground lair seemed a bit far-fetched on one hand but on the other seems to make some pretty good sense for certain scenarios, though I wonder if FLAG would need to "hide" KITT or any of the technologies that help build him or maintain his systems.

What are your thoughts on a base of operations for FLAG, both as portrayed in the classic series, the new series and if it was to be carried forward?
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: FLAG's base of operations

Post by krrdr2010 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:32 pm

I think Both bases of Operations were COOL!!! The Hanger in KR2008 was a great cover-Who would suspect that underneath it was that Base? :good: :kitt: :kitt2: :dash: :dash4:

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:35 pm

TOS did it right. There were instances where KITT needed to have a higher level of maintenance that Bonnie & April couldn't do in the semi. KR 08 had too many people involved (450) at the one facility. Because we got 2 different shows (the first 13 eps and the last 5), the plane was needed for the lets save the world from the big baddies situations, VS. making a difference at the smaller level. As a base of operations, the plane makes little sense, as you'd be more served to have a west coast, middle and east coast base hidden for when KITT was in the areas.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:02 pm

An important to remember is that the SCC was hidden because they were a covert FBI project, while the first FLAG was a public foundation. This also explains why they were so secretive about Kitt. Although that did change somewhat towards the end of the season once they got away from the FBI aspect.

I actually really liked the hi-tech "batcave" idea of the SCC and would like to see that continue in any follow up seasons, but I also like the idea of FLAG being a public foundation, which contradicts the secret SSC idea.

I think a plane would be a much more practical way of travel for the team these days, but would also be somewhat limiting in terms of contact locations. It's pretty hard to park a plane on a side road in the town where Micheal is currently on assignment.
Last edited by Rockatteer on Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CometGSR
Stranger

Post by CometGSR » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:07 pm

I liked TKRs idea of a giant airplaine as a starting point for the cars. With an airplaine, they wouldn't have to worry about traffic or have to spend a lot of time getting to where they needed to go. KITT didn't like flying though (I seem to remember KI3T didn't care for it either).

The bunker is a good idea since no one can steal it. I guess they can storm it and take it over, but it seems less likely with the correct security detail. In TOS, a bunch of biker guys took over the semi and had stupid ideas. TKR had a terrorist organization take it over by sneaking in with the food service.

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:32 pm

I believe it’s also worth noting that in the original series, Michael and KITT drove almost everywhere, no matter how far they were travelling. In fact, only once did KITT get airlifted out of the country, and that was in Diamonds Aren’t a Girl’s Best Friend.

A good example of the usual routine being employed was the long distance driving that was done in Knight Flight to Freedom, where Michael, KITT and RC3 travelled to a fictional South American country that was in the midst of a military coup.

Obviously, if they’d travelled outside of the American continent, air travel would have been a necessity, but otherwise, KITT was more than able to match air travel timings when the need arose, as was proven in the third season episode Dead of Knight, when he raced the Learjet back from Mexico.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?