More chance of Elvis being alive than a KR movie?

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

davidknightrider
Rookie

More chance of Elvis being alive than a KR movie?

Post by davidknightrider » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:07 pm

Anyone now think that the chances of a KR movie are virtually nill.

The Weinstein company is on the verge of dying thanks to some major flops and terrible decision making, eg like releasing Halloween 2 during summer.
It was only Inglorious Basterds that gave it any sort of will to live this year.

Its beginning to look like there is more chance of Elvis being found alive than a KR movie ever being made.
With the Weinsteins that is. If it was with another company, I think there would be a 99% greater chance of a mid level $70 to $100 million budgeted movie.

what does everyone reckon?

DLAspider
Rookie

Re: More chance of Elvis being alive than a KR movie?

Post by DLAspider » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:36 pm

I'd like to think that Glen Larson will see to it that one is made in his lifetime, but the reality of it is how much profit can be made by whoever produces it, and it depends on if anyone decides they can make enough $$$.

Comtron Bum
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Comtron Bum » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:42 am

I'd be surprised if any studio saw Knight Rider as a hot property right now. KR '08 seems to be perceived as a pretty big failure, and I can't imagine that there are any studio execs sitting around who would gamble on greenlighting a movie belonging to franchise that just went down in flames 8 months ago. Even the Star Trek franchise was "dead" for 4 years between the last series and the new movie, and most people would have to agree that Knight Rider hasn't ever achieved that level of popularity. I hope a movie gets made, but it's hard to see it happening any time soon.

Of course, if it does get made in the shorter term, that would have to mean the studio thinks it's strong enough to make people forget any disappointments over new series. And if a studio is behind the project that much, it could be a pretty good movie!

Sybaris
Volunteer

Post by Sybaris » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:19 pm

Sometimes it better to remeber the great entity it was than try and re-create it and kill the memory

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by DevonStyles » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:55 pm

Kr08 needs to be forgotten by the mainstream first before they attempt to make something new in the Knight rider world.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

Harry Singh Jr.
Operative

Post by Harry Singh Jr. » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:57 pm

I would lean more on reviving KR08 than going to a movie. Or make a movie envolving both old and new and call it a day :)

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:29 pm

Ok, let's stop right here and now.

The comments about KR 08...it's dead; a movie will treat it like it never happened, and it's just not going to be revived...you need to get the heads out of the sand if you want to support a KR movie. KR 08 has been forgotten by most people, like it never happened, except in the true fan's head. We're too close to it to truly know that no one gave a crap about KR 08. We wanted it to succeed and continue because it was KR, even with the differences. KR in name, but at the end, KR nevertheless. The thing about comparing ST to KR, ENT was gone in May 05, and the new movie came out 4 years almost to the day later...so the time away isn't as important as one might think.

It's about getting back to the basics. There's still a very intriguing story that can be put on the big screen, and it can make money. Man and machine making a difference. It'll have drama, action, suspense, characters that you will want to care about, comedy, heck, maybe even KITT will sing and dance if it makes sense. Romance? I hope not. Hopefully we'll see some attractive strong women playing crucial roles, but it can't have Michael Knight thinking about chasing women in this first motion picture.

It's gotta set the bar high so it can be a franchise, people. Will Glen A Lawson be involved? I think he needs some help producer wise getting a vision out there that makes sense. Hoff? I hope not, even though the fanboys will be all over me on that. You need someone who can deliver character development along with action. Because ultimately, if we don't want to care about the characters, then all you have is a mess.

If it's pitched correctly, and the movie execs can see the bigger picture, then a reasonable budget can be set and met. Do you need or want a big name playing Michael Knight? That's where the money will be spent...on someone who can sell talking to a car, and building a relation with it (him), making it real. Making audiences believe that a black sports car is more than the sum of his parts. Don't make it cheesy. Make it as real as it's possible to make.

The Weinsteins have had this property for WAY too long, and have done NOTHING to substantiate any feeling that they are capable of delivering such a movie. It's time for someone else to pick this property up, and make it happen. If there's a Monopoly, Battleship, and ViewMaster movie coming, surely a KR movie can happen.

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by krrdr2010 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:21 pm

I believe there will be a KR Movie someday. KR08 was NOT a failure. The show was picking up some steam, but, like most Broadcast Networks, NBC didn't have the juevos to stick with it,and look what has happened to their Prime -Time lineup. Their new shows, especially the Jay Leno Show, are BOMBING, They're in 4th Place, and things don't look like they're going to get better anytime soon. Their Wednesday Night Ratings are WORSE this season than they were last Season. KR08 is part of this legacy. We'll get a Movie, and, who knows, maybe somebody will try again to do KR08 again. As for Elvis, He is alive in his Films, TV Appearances, and his Music. :good: :kitt: :kittside: :kittconv: :karr: :kitt2: :dash: :dash4:

Super Flash
Rookie

Post by Super Flash » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:01 pm

Hello There Everyone, :D :karr:

It is has been a while since I posted here. I must say I can find some of the comments here interesting. I am not convinced that Knight Rider 2008 is dead and failure. In fact, I am re-watching the series now on DVD and don't really see a problem with it. Could the show use improvement yes. We can debate all night long on whether or not Gary Scott Thompson is a fault for the show not being on the air. NBC is a big factor for that. I know from watching the extra's on my vast DVD collection that networks have a huge input on the style and direction of a particular show. For example The Greatest American Hero lasted on ABC about 2 1/2 years. You see the show started out with a school teacher given a super suit by alien beings to secretly make the world a better place. The show went with him struggling with his teaching career, being a single father in a divorce, caring for his students, and having a relationship with his girlfriend to by the shorten third season battling monsters and villains of the week. The show lasted 13 episodes into the third season and by the main character Ralph Hinkley was just a single guy getting ready to marry his girl friend and being a hero undercover. No mention of his son from the first season and him being a teacher was mention not shown. My point here is that ABC was a major factor in the show's direction just like NBC was a major factor in the direction in the last version of Knight Rider. You can see the show was not the same from episode one to seventeen.

As for the reference of the lastest Star Trek move and last Star Trek TV series I must say I find it quite interesting here. While lastest Star Trek flick is a reboot it is not a start from stratch thing as implied by an earlier post. It does make references to past movies in fact there is a line in it that ties the movie to the last Star Trek show Enterprise when Scotty comments about losing Admiral Archer's dog in a trasporter mishap.

So, as you can see Star Trek is not dead and neither is The Knight Rider Franchise. You need to keep the faith and believe that there will be a movie or tv show down the line. I am not sure it will be years or when people forget about it. I am not sure if it will pick up where this version left off or start a new. I would not mind seeing David H. back in some form. But, Knight Rider will be back. You will see.

Lastly, I do agree that NBC progranning is terrable and Leno is not funny nor entertaining. I tried watching once and could get past the first 10 minutes of his show.

Thanks and take care,
Michael. :kitt:
Knight Rider Lives!!!

DLAspider
Rookie

Post by DLAspider » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:05 pm

KROnline needs a "likes this" feature like Facebook 'cause I think that last post says it all..

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:04 pm

Don't worry people as soon as the movie rights run out with the Wienstiens. Glen will sell them to another studio. And collect a big fat cheque. After all he has done this how many times? Knight Rider is a cash cow for him. :D