ki2t top speed at super pursuit mode

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

In Super Pursuit Mode, which of these do you believe is KITT's approximate top speed?

300mph
55%
420mph
45%

Total votes: 38

james olden
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

ki2t top speed at super pursuit mode

Post by james olden » Mon May 04, 2009 12:01 am

ok we all know kits top safe speed is 300mph in normal mode and with super pursuit mode its a 40 % increase of speed but what is the actual top speed in super pursuit mode ....can someone shed some light on this thanx
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Re: ki2t top speed at super pursuit mode

Post by Knight007 » Mon May 04, 2009 1:31 am

Just add 40% to 300 MPH and you got the answer Image :kitt:

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Mon May 04, 2009 2:41 am

ok so basically ki2ts top speed in super pursuit mode is 420 mph ??? because 40 % of 300 is 120 ????????????????
On the Quest for filling in the gaps from right after after Scent of Roses 1986- Knight Rider 2008

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Mon May 04, 2009 3:08 am

james olden wrote:ok we all know kits top safe speed is 300mph in normal mode and with super pursuit mode its a 40 % increase of speed but what is the actual top speed in super pursuit mode ....can someone shed some light on this thanx
- KITT's top speed in normal/pursuit mode was 200mph. He only exceeded 200mph when Michael hit the turbo boost for a temporary increase in speed and not for jumping. SPM allowed KITT to reach a top speed of 300mph. The whole 40% increase in speed line was just their original estimation but KITT (to my knowledge) never exceeded 300 mph in season four.

While in SPM (obviously because of technical limitations) K.I.T.T. could not turbo boost. I would say it is safe to assume that the previous boost of speed gained by pressing turbo boost originally was reconfigured into enhancing the power for SPM.

=VK=
:dash:

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Mon May 04, 2009 7:26 am

Actually,

KITT’s top speed was increased from 200mph to 300mph in the season 3 premier Knight of the Drones, following Bonnie’s extensive repair work. This is visually indicated by the new dashboard’s speedometer, which has an additional 100mph on it.

Prior to that, the only time that KITT had exceeded 200mph was whilst using the ramjet in Goliath. Incidentally, his speed was stated to be 310mph at one point following Michael's jury-rigged repairs. With the dialogue indicating that his speed was still increasing, the ramjet appears to have been a faster, albeit less stable, option than SPM was ever shown to be.

Speaking of which, in season 4, KITT's speedometer was seen to exceed 300mph on a number of occasions whilst using SPM. Taking the 40% increase into account, this means that theoretically, KITT’s top speed would have been 420mph during season 4. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon May 04, 2009 8:07 pm

Matthew wrote:Actually,

Speaking of which, in season 4, KITT's speedometer was seen to exceed 300mph on a number of occasions whilst using SPM. Taking the 40% increase into account, this means that theoretically, KITT’s top speed would have been 420mph during season 4. :good:

Matt
- Post screen shots of this.

=VK=

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon May 04, 2009 10:34 pm

Matthew wrote:Actually,

KITT’s top speed was increased from 200mph to 300mph in the season 3 premier Knight of the Drones, following Bonnie’s extensive repair work. This is visually indicated by the new dashboard’s speedometer, which has an additional 100mph on it.

Matt
*puts on a Mythbusters hat*

- I just checked through Knight of the Drones and I have to disagree with you. At no point does his speedometer show above 200mph. Where do you get the extra 100 miles from? There are still only three 000's nor is there any mention of KITT having additional speed after the upgrades by neither KITT nor Bonnie.

KITT's top speed in SPM in Knight of the Juggernaut is shown to be about 280mph.

In Sky Knight, KITT's top speed in SPM is roughly 285mph.

In Burial Ground, Michael asks KITT to give him everything he's got and KITT's SPM speedometer peaks at 299mph.

In The Wrong Crowd, KITT's SPM peaks at roughly 280mph.

In Knight Sting KITT's SPM speedometer peaks at roughly 180pmh.

In Many Happy Returns KITT's SPM speedomerter peaks at 285mph.

In Knight Racer KITT's SPM speedometer isn't shown.

In Knight Behind Bars KITT's SPM speedometer isn't shown.

In The Scent of Roses, KITT's SPM speedometer peaks at 118mph.

In Killer K.I.T.T., KITT's SPM speedometer peaks at 276mph - again Michael says to KITT "Give me everything you got."

In Out of the Woods KITT's SPM peaks at 278mph - Michael says "Alright pal, give me all the pursuit power you got."

In Deadly Knightshade KITT's SPM peaks at 200mph.

In Hills of Fire KITTs SPM peaks at 256mph.

In Knight of the Rising Sun KITT's SPM peaks at 125mph.

These are all the episodes in Season Four where KITT uses SPM. If I didn't list an episode, he didn't use it such as Voo Doo Knight and Fright Knight. So having re-researched my original claim, I can now officially call this myth BUSTED.

The original K.I.T.T. has never gone over 300mph in SPM or any other mode for that matter.

The original KITT going 420mph? - MYTH BUSTED.

Even the Attack Mode K3000 Mustang peaks at an alleged 377mph.

To date, no version of K.I.T.T. can go over 400mph.

=VK=

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Mon May 04, 2009 10:57 pm

As I said, 420mph is the theoretical top speed when using 300mph as the baseline. Obviously, this means there are no screen shots of KITT travelling at that speed. :lol:

However, I do have a picture of KITT’s speedometer reaching 300mph in Burial Ground. This picture is from the final ten minutes of the episode, where KITT’s speed is increasing exponentially prior to cutting to an interior shot of Michael and the two archaeologists. :good:

Matt
Attachments
KITT's Dashboard - Burial Ground Speedometer.jpg
KITT's Dashboard - Burial Ground Speedometer.jpg (141.63 KiB) Viewed 32984 times

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon May 04, 2009 11:14 pm

You must have had one more frame than I did, but be that as it may it never exceeded 300mph, which was my original point.

You claimed that the speedometer showed KITT exceeding 300mph, clearly it did not nor has it ever reached 400mph.

=VK=

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Mon May 04, 2009 11:19 pm

I'll concede the possibility that seeing a speed above 300mph during season 4 may have been a figment of my imagination, but it's more likely that I've somehow managed to confuse the speeds of SPM with those that were seen in Goliath.

When it comes to comparing KITT's two dashboards though, the LED bar portion of the speedometer clearly shows that an increase of top speed from 200mph to 300mph was amongst Bonnie's raft of improvements in Knight of the Drones, which makes sense given that the ramjet was able to propel KITT up to a minimum of 310mph.

As for the 420mph thing, as I said, it was a theoretical speed based on a 40% increase of the known top speed from season 3, not an established fact. :good:

Matt

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue May 05, 2009 12:31 am

Matthew wrote:When it comes to comparing KITT's two dashboards though, the LED bar portion of the speedometer clearly shows that an increase of top speed from 200mph to 300mph was amongst Bonnie's raft of improvements in Knight of the Drones, which makes sense given that the ramjet was able to propel KITT up to a minimum of 310mph.
- Ok I see where you get the 300mph indicator from and this only proves that KITT could theoretically reach 300mph in Season Three, but never did - this indicator is more than likely a sign to plan ahead for future season upgrades. The baseline speed in Season Three however is still 200mph.
As for the 420mph thing, as I said, it was a theoretical speed based on a 40% increase of the known top speed from season 3, not an established fact.
- The top known speed in season 3 never reached 300mph? - so how can you get to 420?. So then you would agree that KITT's top speed in either mode (aside from in Goliath) does not factually exceed300mph?

KITT could not drive 300mph without using SPM.

Bonnie's mods in season three have little influence over season four because K.I.T.T. was rebuilt regardless and could not go over 200mph (under normal circumstances) until SPM was added.

The whole point of creating SPM by the producers was to make K.I.T.T. go faster than he could normally go before. If he could already go 300mph what's the point?

There is no feasable way he can reach 420mph. The 40% increase in speed applies to him being able to go up to 300mph using SPM. You can't use 300mph as a baseline because that number is already factored in Bonnie's 40% from the original 200mph in normal mode. The 40% applied to 200mph from using SPM would be 280mph. - clearly KITT exceeded that which means Bonnie's prediction was inaccurate to begin with but not off by much.

According to Bonnie's figures (which KITT states), KITT would go 200mph in normal mode, and 280mph in SPM.

Still no where near 420mph even theoretically. If you are indicating however that if KITT could go 300mph as a baseline (normal mode) speed without relying on SPM and have a 40% increase given to that, then you would be at the 420mph mark.

=VK=

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:45 am

Victor Kros and Matthew, just allow me to say WOW for bath of you :good: Hearing and reading your posts just gives a very clear indication how KR lives in us. I really believe it would be a very good Idea if we can copy this page and send it to NBC, just to show them what they are missing and why KR should stay on the reoads not the archives.
again, thank you both for all of this Image :kitt:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue May 05, 2009 12:57 am

If going faster was part of KITT's new mods in Knight of the Drones, KITT would have mentioned to Michael, "Bonnie also increased my baseline speed" and we would have seen KITT racing along at 200+ mph in normal pursuits. Clearly we did not.

Instead we only get the speed increase reference mentioned in Knight of the Juggernaut which clearly was the producers and writer's intention to show that until this point in the series, KITT couldn't drive 300mph without the aid of additional equipment.

I'll agree with you that the tact info says he could theoretically go 300mph in Season Three but given that they never showcased the improvement, I disagree that it effected his original baseline speed of 200mph.

Therefore I stand by my original point that the original KITT's top speed is 300mph in SPM and he cannot exceed that according to the facts presented in the series itself. Theories are theories and facts are facts.

So again according to the facts, MYTH BUSTED.

=VK=

rwmu
Operative

Post by rwmu » Tue May 05, 2009 1:15 am

To be honest from what I've read, i'm of the opinion KI2Ts top speed is variable by who ever is holding the writers pen for the week.

Back in the 80s show continuity was not a particularly important thing, it was the story at the time, and the show certainly didn't have us fans breathing down its next tell it what was right and wrong. Best you could do back then was write in and hope to get a reply.

However the mathematics of the earlier posters is right 300 +40%= 42, thought I'm guess that would be straight line speed at 300mph plus I don't think you corner very well :D
Είναι καλύτερο να θεωρηθεί ως ανόητος, από να ανοιχτεί το στόμα σας και να αφαιρεθεί όλη η αμφιβολία.

james olden
FLAG Recruit

Post by james olden » Tue May 05, 2009 1:33 am

you know what thats a good idea matter of fact and i just sent it to nbc about how popular kr is. and by the way if ki2t wouldve ever malfuntioned crashed at 300phm head on with goliath with michael in ki2t do you think michael wouldve lived through it ????????

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Tue May 05, 2009 8:14 am

Victor Kros wrote:If going faster was part of KITT's new mods in Knight of the Drones, KITT would have mentioned to Michael, "Bonnie also increased my baseline speed" and we would have seen KITT racing along at 200+ mph in normal pursuits. Clearly we did not.

Therefore I stand by my original point that the original KITT's top speed is 300mph in SPM and he cannot exceed that according to the facts presented in the series itself. Theories are theories and facts are facts.

=VK=
If that were the case though, the credits for the whole of season 3 wouldn’t show KITT’s speedometer with 298mph on it whilst he’s racing through the desert. Therefore, just because that speed wasn’t seen in a regular pursuit, it does disprove the theory that it wasn’t possible without SPM.

Thus, with the factual baseline of 300mph firmly in place, the 40% increase results in the mathematically based speed of 420mph. As such, given that facts are facts, and we’re using the vernacular from MythBusters... MYTH PROVEN. :good:

Matt
Attachments
KITT's Dashboard - Season 3 Credits.jpg
KITT's Dashboard - Season 3 Credits.jpg (114.6 KiB) Viewed 32880 times

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue May 05, 2009 9:38 am

Matthew wrote:
Victor Kros wrote:If going faster was part of KITT's new mods in Knight of the Drones, KITT would have mentioned to Michael, "Bonnie also increased my baseline speed" and we would have seen KITT racing along at 200+ mph in normal pursuits. Clearly we did not.

=VK=
If that were the case though, the credits for the whole of season 3 wouldn’t show KITT’s speedometer with 298mph on it whilst he’s racing through the desert. Therefore, just because that speed wasn’t seen in a regular pursuit, it does disprove the theory that it wasn’t possible without SPM.

Thus, with the factual baseline of 300mph firmly in place, the 40% increase results in the mathematically based speed of 420mph. As such, given that facts are facts, and we’re using the vernacular from MythBusters... MYTH PROVEN. :good:
Touch'e Matthew

I'll do you one better. Considering that despite your fact there's a 300mph bar on the season three dash and let's say in the credits (shown once I might add without Michael and never shown again in said credits), STILL it is also a FACT that in the episodes themselves and season three for that matter, the car NEVER WENT 300mph and thus these visual clues were never actually utlitized UNTIL SEASON FOUR while using Super Pursuit Mode...

If anything they're continuity errors at best and goes back to my "planning ahead" theory as they are taken advantage of when KITT can go 300mph using SPM. Had they actually shown KITT going over 200 mph in Season Three under normal/pursuit speeds, I would be inclinded to agree with you but they did not - he rarely ever broke 200mph.

In true Mythbusters fashion, I will upgrade this myth to PLAUSABLE (however unlikely), but NOT proven.

You and I are like the Adam and Jamie of Knight Rider here!

Well played Sir.

=VK=
Last edited by Victor Kros on Tue May 05, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue May 05, 2009 9:46 am

Bickering about a fictional cars fictional top speed? oh dear..now I've seen it all lol :mrgreen:

rwmu
Operative

Post by rwmu » Tue May 05, 2009 10:10 am

I wouldn't call it bickering, I'd call it informed discussion.

Matt is showing screen shots, so i think he's ahead on points for now.
Είναι καλύτερο να θεωρηθεί ως ανόητος, από να ανοιχτεί το στόμα σας και να αφαιρεθεί όλη η αμφιβολία.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue May 05, 2009 10:28 am

Yeah I know, I was joking :D
rwmu wrote: Matt is showing screen shots, so i think he's ahead on points for now.
Points? ah so its a game, in that case can I play?

Kitts REAL top speed is 830mph!

Looks like I've won :lol:

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Tue May 05, 2009 10:35 am

Victor Kros wrote:Touch'e Matthew

Well played Sir.

=VK=
Thank you sir,

However, I must point out that Knight Rider wasn’t exactly known for planning ahead, and given KITT’s first two years had a speedometer showing his original upper limit, it stands to reason that the increase was effective from the moment Bonnie implemented her upgrades in Knight of the Drones, even when not taking the visual evidence from the credits into account.

After all, if she can install an electrical generator to punish oversized and under-intelligent badies, a few turbojet upgrades whilst repairing the damaged exhaust system should be a synch. :good:

Matt

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue May 05, 2009 11:33 am

Matthew wrote:
Victor Kros wrote:Touch'e Matthew

Well played Sir.

=VK=
Thank you sir,

However, I must point out that Knight Rider wasn’t exactly known for planning ahead, and given KITT’s first two years had a speedometer showing his original upper limit, it stands to reason that the increase was effective from the moment Bonnie implemented her upgrades in Knight of the Drones, even when not taking the visual evidence from the credits into account.

After all, if she can install an electrical generator to punish oversized and under-intelligent badies, a few turbojet upgrades whilst repairing the damaged exhaust system should be a synch. :good:

Matt
Plausible is not confirmed so I will agree to disagree. Personally I believe if the writers or producers had intended for KITT to go over 200mph they would have written an episode in Season Three demonstrating said new abilities since they seemed to excel at coming up with more and more new things for KITT to do - it seems odd that an increase in speed earlier on wasn't pursued until Season Four.

I am reminded of a note in the Knight Rider Bible which states "The question should not be how fast the car can go, the question should be how fast do you want it to go." If the writers wanted the car to exceed 200mph in Season Three, they would have written it that way.

=VK=

rwmu
Operative

Post by rwmu » Tue May 05, 2009 12:39 pm

You've gotta love it, images from the actual show and its only plausable, what be acceptable I wonder?

Oh well I'm still in the Matt is right on this one camp, he's provided evidence which is good supporting evidence to the debate (excluding weeezls made up, but still very amusing pics).

Once the SPM is installed does the Turbo Boost ever get used for speed again or is it reduced to jumping only?

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Tue May 05, 2009 12:57 pm

Victor Kros wrote:Plausible is not confirmed so I will agree to disagree. Personally I believe if the writers or producers had intended for KITT to go over 200mph they would have written an episode in Season Three demonstrating said new abilities since they seemed to excel at coming up with more and more new things for KITT to do - it seems odd that an increase in speed earlier on wasn't pursued until Season Four.
But what you have to remember is that KITT’s exhaust and engine systems were badly damaged by the Drone Car's missile.

Exhaust and Engine Explosion

Image Image

The fact that a brand new dashboard is built with all of the new systems on it, including an extra 100mph, proves that the engine and exhaust systems were upgraded during Bonnie’s repairs, even if that fact wasn’t taken advantage of during season 3.

Speedometer Comparison

Image Image

Also, in addition to the speedometer, it must be noted that the tachometer was modified to reflect the new specifications as well, with an increase from 8000rpm to 9000rpm, providing further proof of the improvements that were made to KITT’s engine and exhaust systems.

Tachometer Comparison

Image Image

Thus, as per the evidence shown on screen, KITT’s top speed is 300mph during season 3, and 40% faster than that whilst using SPM in season 4. Of course, the image from the credits proves this fact on its own, but no ifs, ands, or buts can change the additional information that was presented to us within the show on a weekly basis. :good:

Matt

rwmu
Operative

Post by rwmu » Tue May 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Good post Matt

Direct comparisons and clear images. 40 - 15 to you I think.