Live Discussion - Fly By Knight

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Live Discussion - Fly By Knight

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:21 pm

LOSTKNIGHT, I apologize for my comment. It was definitely offensive and rude. But really, to nitpick on lasers over guns and say that lasers have this purpose to where guns don't on the series is ridiculous. Yeah, I will come up with a justification for the gatling guns, just like I am doing with a talking car concept. :good:

Oh, and stop complaining about FORD. If you're going to pick on brands, try picking on the only cell phone model that EVERYONE uses on the show. :lol:

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:24 pm

How can there be room for an engine as well as those machine guns under Kitts hood?
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:30 pm

Rare as it may be, I'm with LK on this one. The laser, while very much real, is still not particularly applicable as a weapon and still falls under the "fantasy violence" category. You can toy around with it a bit more. The guns are very much real and can't not have a different impact on people. Like I said, I found it a bit tasteless myself.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:32 pm

The show had it's moments but still not good enough. Of course I'm not here to judge but from what I saw there are many things they need to improve with the show in order to succeed. Sometimes I feel they've got the humor all wrong! I mean, what's up with breaking that hard causing Mike to slam his face on the steering wheel? What are you trying to get him killed, is that it? Was Ki3t offended by Mike in any way when he was told not to change the channel?
There is still no turbo boost or ski-mode or any of that I desperately am waiting for to watch each week. All we got to see was a laser gun to open the lock and some mini guns on Ki3t's bonnet, all of course with CGI effects!

Still can't figure out how Mike is able to watch the damn road with all of those video conversations and data sheets presented on the windshield?
Try it yourselves and notice how annoying and distracting it is to drive when something is reflected on your window. All you have to do is to place a "calling card" or a piece of paper on your dashboard so that you can see the reflection on the windshield, now try to drive and see if that annoys you or not...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:34 pm

KnightINSTINCT wrote:
WIBoomer1 wrote:About referencing Mike's Mom's death...

Just because they referenced the death DOES NOT mean that ALL the pilot elements are in play here. It could be said that Mike was just remembering her death to relate to the Kid's Dad....nothing more.

And I'm all for keeping the regular plate standard California "KNIGHT"...it's cool that KI3T can change plates, but for the most part, KNIGHT is what it should be.

Seriously? Gosh, okay WIBoomer1. Doesn't nitpicking over tiny things give you a headache? :roll:
Nope, not at all... :lol:

It's the little details that make up for the big ones that have been blown so far.

As for the name thing, I think it's fine that he introduces himself for the first time to people as Michael, and then they call him Mike after that. It's not like he's correcting them..."uh, it's Michael, not Mike...".

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:41 pm

lunchmeat wrote:
Lynda414 wrote:
The classic Mustang was cool. For a split-second, I did think that K.I.T.T. was going to transform into the Knight 2000 and was disappointed when he turned into another Mustang instead. On the positive side, I loved that old school 180-degree turn K.I.T.T. did off the tow truck.
I, too, had that little jump - I knew it wouldn't happen, but there was still that tiny chance. I did like the Mustang, though (although the interior was questionable; KI3T's orb sticks out like a sore....snow globe, really...) and I thought it was a logical treatment for an "oldschool" disguise.

KI3T's 180 was awesome, yeah. Oh yeah. Loved the look of surprise on the tow-truck driver's face, as well.
yeah the Eleanor/Bullit 67 GT500 was radical :kitt: :good: :good: :mrgreen:
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:46 pm

Knight-Armen wrote: Still can't figure out how Mike is able to watch the damn road with all of those video conversations and data sheets presented on the windshield?
Try it yourselves and notice how annoying and distracting it is to drive when something is reflected on your window. All you have to do is to place a "calling card" or a piece of paper on your dashboard so that you can see the reflection on the windshield, now try to drive and see if that annoys you or not...
Now you're just nitpicking. He can see, because he can see.

You know, back in the glorious days of "Need For Speed 4", before the series' tits turned blue from the milking, there were a lot of Knight Rider cars. One of them was a "KITT '90" or something like that, which was a redesign of what the creator thought the car would look like if the show had made it to the '90s. Among all the things that he had added, he had also added a pretty extensive heads-up display on the windshield, when the lights were on. In three years playing the game non-stop, I never had a problem driving with all the readings right in my face.

Yes, a videogame isn't the same as real life. But neither is this.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:11 pm

In a videogame you won't even care if you'd collide head on with a semi.

There's a reason why the dashboard is of a certain material and colour so it won't reflect on your windshield.

But hey, perhaps it doesn't bother you but the fact remains you shouldn't have anything reflected on your windshield that might get your focus off the road! A safety precaution not only to save your life but others too.

Also, Mike drives with only one hand on the steering wheel and kinda leans to the right a bit. What type of example does that set for young drivers? Please note, I'm not comparing this to TOS but merely just analyzing his driving habits.
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:24 pm

Well, I think that if Mike is distracted by a communication on hsi windshield, KITT would automatically pick up the slack and drive for him. He wouldn't let him drive into a ditch or something.

kittxthexcat
Rookie

Post by kittxthexcat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:28 pm

Knight-Armen wrote: Also, Mike drives with only one hand on the steering wheel and kinda leans to the right a bit. What type of example does that set for young drivers? Please note, I'm not comparing this to TOS but merely just analyzing his driving habits.
Loads of people have been driving like that since before TOS was even a thought. I learned it from my brother who learned it from my dad, who probably learned it from his brother. I doubt KR will make that much of a difference (it could though, don't get me wrong...just doesn't seem likely to me.) Though it bothers me he doesn't have a seat belt, don't care about the passive restraint, so I see your point. It took me FOREVER to get my dad and my brother to wear seatbelts (to the point I'd just start screaming/crying till my brother put his on XD) and now neither of them go without them.
---
Kitt the Cat, but you can call me Spiff.

Billy: "I just ask cause it sounds like Kitt's making you his bitch..."
Mike: "Get back to the math BILLY!"

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:29 pm

Loved the ep, such a huge improvement on the earlier eps. Three things didn't sit well with me:

1. KI3T firing guns to scare someone
2. KI3T driving the couple back (uber-cheesy)
3. The couple being shown round the SSC (why?)

Other than that loved it. The totties are nicely presented, the minor characters did something useful, more banter between Mike and KI3T
Master_Knight wrote:What do you guys think about Mike being called 'Mike'?
Michael is such an "old" name in comparison. Imagine how many people are called Arthur, Edna or Mavis these days? All of the newer names are more modern, or traditional names more modernised. Hence you have names like Chris, Jon and Andy instead of "Christopher", "Jonathon" and "Andrew". It fits with the modern theme, the next generation and helps distinguish between MK and Mike.
Lost Knight wrote: Since you didn't get it from my first post, the logic in using a laser over a gun is BECAUSE K.I.T.T. ISN'T SUPPOSED TO HAVE OFFENSIVE WEAPONS. He doesn't kill anyone with the guns, so does he really need them?
You must've been livid when KI3T had missiles. :lol: TBH I was surprised KI3T was so carefree after he accidentally killed someone, though I guess he could've "forgotten" that memory in the upload/download.
KFCreator wrote:Did anyone notice the ever-so-subtle musical score about midway through the episode that happened when KI3T was driving that immediately sounded like a nod to the classic series' score?
When KI3T was lowering from the towtruck. I would have loved for the start of the titles theme tune to begin here.
bige wrote:In the TOS how many times was the Knight 2000 in the impound lot? It was whenever Michael Knight Sr. got arested
You know what? I was really hoping for a jailbreak scene in this ep, something reminiscent of TOS.
Dukeboy320 wrote:i love how kitts createing charter and LOVED the old mustang but was VERY disapointed when the said "lets go old school" i was hopeing for a Trans-Am :(
Again, like others, I wanted a T/A.
Knight-Armen wrote:There's a reason why the dashboard is of a certain material and colour so it won't reflect on your windshield. But hey, perhaps it doesn't bother you but the fact remains you shouldn't have anything reflected on your windshield that might get your focus off the road! A safety precaution not only to save your life but others too.
More and more modern cars are now starting to show a head-up display of the speedometer, as well as a few other things. It's designed so your eyes travel less between road and speedo, so you can concentrate more on the road. I'd imagine by now, Mike would have adapted to using the HUD.
Knight-Armen wrote:Also, Mike drives with only one hand on the steering wheel and kinda leans to the right a bit.
Yeah I noticed he does it a lot too. Maybe his driving is a reflection of modern youth practices rather than a trendsetter? Using one hand certainly reduces control but if you have a computer to correct and override you if you put yourself or others at risk, does it matter? I drive one-handed at low speeds but as soon as I'm either on tricky roads/conditions or at higher speeds, I automatically use two hands.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:32 pm

About the driving with the HUD thing...have we forgotten that Mike's driving an intelligent car that can control itself? If Mike's driving and he's running off the road a bit, KI3T will make the necessary corrections. The HUD has always been semi-transparent, anyway, and whenever Mike's using it he is usually driving on a relatively straight road (due to greenscreening). I agree with NeoRanger; he can see because he can see. If I ever see Mike crash KI3T because he couldn't see the road through the HUD, then maybe I'll revise my opinion. Until then, though, I'll just accept it.

Mike leans to stay in frame, generally. (I think this is for the side shot that they usually use inside the car, and it's also for the video chat. It's also possible that he's not allowed to adjust the seat in the greenscreenmobile.) I don't think that young drivers will be focusing on his driving position as much as the stunts that KI3T pulls - if you're worried about a bad influence on new drivers, it makes more sense to worry about the stunts in the show than Mike's driving position.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:47 pm

Knight-Armen wrote:In a videogame you won't even care if you'd collide head on with a semi.
Heh, obviously you haven't seen me losing in a game.
Knight-Armen wrote:There's a reason why the dashboard is of a certain material and colour so it won't reflect on your windshield.

But hey, perhaps it doesn't bother you but the fact remains you shouldn't have anything reflected on your windshield that might get your focus off the road! A safety precaution not only to save your life but others too.

Also, Mike drives with only one hand on the steering wheel and kinda leans to the right a bit. What type of example does that set for young drivers? Please note, I'm not comparing this to TOS but merely just analyzing his driving habits.
But it's a moot point. They're not going to sacrifice cinematography for realistic or safe driving habits. I'm pretty sure no driver bases their driving habits on those of a guy in a TV show. I sure as hell hope people who do that aren't given a license; ever. If Mike driving with one arm (something that's an actual habit that people have been doing forever) writes better on camera, they're going to go with it. Same with the HUD. They're selling a super-smart, state-of-the-art, highly impressive car. The HUD presentation is, by default, more impressive. It's a throwback to fighter jets. And futuristic equipment from cartoons. Robots. Super suits. Iron Man. It's an overall better option.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:37 pm

You know what I don't like? Micheal Knight has a preppy boy haircut...I want the curly fro. So TOS....So cool.

Also, why can't they make KI3T sound more like a butler like they did with KI2t from TOS? He sounds kind of cool, and cool cars shouldn't have a voice that really sounds cool. TOTALLY un-TOS. AND, they should make him a little more magical with his special weaponry. I wanna see locks unlocked WITHOUT LASERS! That's why Knight Rider was so cool. THIS IS HARDLY TOS

And what about those special effects? CGI, please! I want my crappy miniature model cars back, because that at least implied it happened IN REAL LIFE.

Can someone please tell Deanna Russo to wear a white wig? I miss Devon. Who does she think she is trying to portray an icon from the series with that girlish attitude anyway? GOD, I miss my TOS!!

I hate brands, I wish FORD would just rename the show for NBC already. I wish the cops would reference KITT as the black racer with stripes....TOS KITT didn't get the Pontiac branding during most of the series, why should the new KITT get recognized for it's maker? So laaaaaame.

I'm going to throw my HDTV out to the trash now. I just realized the show looks too good with it's special effects, unlike TOS. It must be compared more fairly. I will not have it another way.

:P

Drifty
Rookie

Post by Drifty » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:43 pm

FYI guys, this episode was the second one where the "Knight" plate appeared. I first saw it in "Knight of the Living Dead". I'd screen cap it, but I don't know how on Windows Media 11.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:45 pm

So a leisure KITT will sport the KNIGHT plate. Cool :)

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:36 pm

Drifty wrote:FYI guys, this episode was the second one where the "Knight" plate appeared. I first saw it in "Knight of the Living Dead". I'd screen cap it, but I don't know how on Windows Media 11.
try using the snippet tool, then save as a jpeg...
Attachments
big KNIGHT.jpg
big KNIGHT.jpg (12.98 KiB) Viewed 21686 times

bige
Rookie

Post by bige » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:49 pm

The person that Sarah was talking to via the webcam, he dose look familiar, I think he played a character on Team Knight Rider, I for get the episodes.

kwsta25
Rookie

Post by kwsta25 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:58 pm

We need to find a way to get more viewers for the last two episodesFly by knight was perfect. If we get a season 2 its only gona get better I LOVE THIS SHOW GET THE WORD OUT :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TELL EVRYONE TO TUNE IN NEXT WEEK WE NEED MORE VIEWERS :good:

Harry Singh Jr.
Operative

Post by Harry Singh Jr. » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:24 pm

I like the way the story lines are going. Definitly old school knight Rider. I'm even starting to live with the transformations stuff, cause the story is good. KITT having more personality,Micro Jamming, and taking care of kids helping the little people. Doesn't get more old school than that:)

Hope they keep up the good work:) Another thing I was wondering. When people watch the show online do the ratings count? I'm a truck driver, so at times it's hard for me Wednesday night. But I watch it the next day online

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:29 am

bige wrote:The person that Sarah was talking to via the webcam, he dose look familiar, I think he played a character on Team Knight Rider, I for get the episodes.

I believe that is agent Rivai's father.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:03 am

this episode was pretty good, the story writing has gotten a lot better, but i am still very dissapointed with the transformations into other vehicles, also they need to start doing more stunts and turbo boosts. the machine guns popping out of the hood was really cool but was a little over the top, it kind of reminded me of the viper defender a little bit.
in glen larson we trust.

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:08 am

KnightINSTINCT wrote:
bige wrote:The person that Sarah was talking to via the webcam, he dose look familiar, I think he played a character on Team Knight Rider, I for get the episodes.

I believe that is agent Rivai's father.
No, Rivai's father was played by Richard "SHAFT" Roundtree who was in the CIA this is guy was a ex football player and later actor, he was in some 70s films and most recently he was the police captain in the "Starsky and Hutch" movie a few years ago.

"THAT'S changing the subject Michael."
:lol:
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

FordFilly82
Operative

Post by FordFilly82 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:30 am

Well first off, I knew people would complain about the F-150 transforming and it was useless since the road was smooth.
The interaction btwn KITT & Tracer was better this ep.
Marios Bimbos is about as fake as Rivai was.
The plot is good. The use of "roadstar: was great!
And for old school? I LOVED it! LOL Yeah I wished for ki2t when they said it but realized it wouldn't be, though it would have made a great cameo!
And Zoe getting TKO'd like that!? BAD writing. THis chick can kick serious butt and for her to be taken so easily?....stupid of the writers.

And Billy's line; Sound like KITT was making you his bitch; this is my quote of the week! LOL

I liked how the writers were able to use facts from the BDP to relate to the kid at the end.
The tour was a nice touch, and KITT taking the family home was a sweet cheesy ending.

There were other things about the ep which I can't recall ATM, but there were scenes in TOS that were equally as chessy and added to the overall feel of the show IMHO.

One little note;
In the final climax when KITT comes back and says to KITT "Don't no anything crazy", if you were wacthing it in Closed Captioning ( I was) at the shot after that line it said "KITT: Trust me." But there is no audible dialog. I wonder how many interesting lines I have missed but are hidden in closed captioning??

And one more MAJOR flaw: Mike assures the mom that the money is reward money NOT Drug money, yet he makes the kid believe the opposite.
My mom and husband were watching and commented that in the final scene when KITT is leaving the SSC the scene is desinged in such a way that it *very* closely resembles the exit bays from Battlestar Galactica TOS. And it does! I never noticed it before!

But it was a good ep. And as long as our numbers stay steady we may get a S2. (crosses fingers)
See everyone next time!
:kittspin:
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:38 am

FordFilly82 wrote:The interaction btwn KITT & Tracer was better this ep.
Kitt and who?
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;